Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trombone ??

Posted by Jimmi James 
Trombone ??
January 09, 2006 01:27AM
Greetings
I have finally put aside enuff cash to buy a trombone and would like to know any advice on a suitable "bone" that would be sweet for reggae/ska .Cause of where i live the only options are basically Yamaha and i am leaning towards the cheapest "beginners" slide trombone,but can also consider the next model up(more $ but maybe a better investment?).I can read music and have a good ear but i am totally clueless when it comes to brass.I feel well inspired by the sounds of the trombone in nuff reggae music and want to get right on with it.Any advice or links to resources would really give me great use.

Peace and Love
JJ
papa ray
Re: Trombone ??
January 09, 2006 10:59AM
JJ, good luck on finding a teacher & suitable instrument. One little tip for beginning musicians(& you sound like you got some experience), which may seem obvious but many don't see, is that a trombone after all(or trumpet or sax) is just a cold piece of metal by itself. It makes no music. YOU do. That trombone is really an 'instrument' for the conveyance of your musical thoughts. I've played harmonica for 40 years now, and if I get a student I always tell them to hear the note in your head first---conceptualize the sound you want, then master the technique(s) to bring it forth. An obvious truth, but often missed. With all
wind instruments, and this goes so true for trombone, practice working on
TONE. I'd rather play one note WITH TONE than cram as many notes as I could into four bars in a way that said nothing. Tone requires wind/diaphraghm control. When practicing long notes, do so in an acoustically dead spot that makes you work for your sound(placing an old mattress folded into a corner of the room then facing it, for example, while playing)....try to make a clean and beautiful sound, always a usefull meditation.

We're all students, I hope the above & brief comments are helpful. Boss,
I love playing in a section w/ trombone. What a sound!
January 10, 2006 05:36AM
Greetings
Sound advice Papa Ray ....thankyou.

Peace and Love
January 11, 2006 11:08AM
Trombone players blow, bass players do it deeper. I thought I'd just throw that out there.
pale ryder
January 11, 2006 12:17PM
and guitar players finger wood (the fret board)
January 11, 2006 03:44PM
Teach dem, spliff smoka. Nuff raspect for those who hold down the low end.

Peace,
-RV
jah jeeky
January 11, 2006 11:28PM
like zoki?
January 12, 2006 12:40AM
Or perhaps like RV, Herb, or myself - lol (Goatfoot too If I remember right!). Lots of low enders around here - coincidence? I think NOT!

I must point out that most of my musician buddies get rather excited when the opportunity to get backed by a real horn section arises... forward the bone!

Blow like ya mean it - You might want that Burning Band (or Cake) "sad" horn sound - but that will come easier after you nail the notes. (much like vocalizing)

respects to all the singers n players (and selectas too)
January 12, 2006 03:25PM
Who, outta the low enders, knows the notes to Dawn Penns No No No? Sick beat that sounds like Queens Majesty but ain't. I've only been playing bass for a year and a 1/2, so I have no ear yet.
January 12, 2006 03:27PM
+1 on the horns. You can't beat it when you see something like Roots Radics do Rockfort Rock. It'shard to find a key player who can simulate that sound correctly.
January 12, 2006 04:19PM
SS Root Awakening's done that tune for years. Bass line's a lot like QM but different chords and a little bit different 'roll' (by which I mean pulse or swing)...another bassline that's similar is that to the Abyssinians' "The Good Lord"...
papa ray
January 12, 2006 08:11PM
OK. For now forty years or more I really study and enjoy horn music of many shapes,
and as far as trombone I knew the American jazz/R&B players of the instrument,
and the various bands they played in, or led. And I listen, watch and study horn sections near and far. I always have. But it was when I started hearing the impact in Jamaican music did I start Really, really enjoying the trombone. So sweet. Don Drummond, Vin Gordon, Master-Players . Both as lead instrumentalists as well as making the section sound majestic. Yes now...
January 13, 2006 02:42AM
Greetings
Yes ........i been trying to capture in words what the sound of the trombone lends to the brass section.
Trumpets give a triumphant uplifting .
Trombone a majestic mystic melancholy.
Saxophone the soulful singer.

But that's why instruments exist,cause words can't express!

Peace and Love
JJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login