Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bob Marley Day Festival (Long Beach,CA)

Posted by fourtwentyplenty 
Bob Marley Day Festival (Long Beach,CA)
January 09, 2006 07:22PM
Does anyone know what the lineup will be? I'm assuming it will be similar to San Diego since it's right before it, but since it's two days there should be some added niceness. Raggamuffins Productions hasn't put it up yet. Any info would be helpful. I'm trying to get my plans for that weekend going now.

fourtwentyplenty

Post Edited (01-09-06 11:25)

fourtwentyplenty
HIGHPRAISE
Re: Bob Marley Day Festival (Long Beach,CA)
January 09, 2006 08:31PM
Pop fest !
spearfan
January 09, 2006 10:38PM
Saturday 2/18/06 Sunday 2/19/06
Gregory Isaacs The Wailers
Lee "Scratch" Perry Freddie McGregor
Michael Franti & Spearhead Matisyahu
Anthony B Luciano
Richie Spice Misty In Roots
Gentleman I Wayne
Pato Banton The Itals
Elan Desarie
Ras Michael
Alton Ellis
Admiral Bailey
January 10, 2006 12:38AM
BOOM!

Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance
sideways
January 10, 2006 06:34AM
any link to this info? cant find it anywhere?
thanks
Ranking Yoni
January 10, 2006 07:47AM
You people are so lucky !
sideways
January 10, 2006 04:00PM
if i am right, & u are in aus?, then u are lucky yoni
January 10, 2006 06:53PM
January 10, 2006 06:58PM
Well that's nice, they didn't have the lineup up there yesterday. Guess I should have been more patient.

fourtwentyplenty
January 10, 2006 07:42PM
Yes sideways, I'm living in Melbourne ..

But not as lucky as you all, so many artists passing through .. Looks like I might have to plan another trip to Cali very soon!

[www.OzReggae.com]
January 10, 2006 08:29PM
Would love to hear Freddie, doubt he'll make the transition to the Bay tho...surely we'll get the crappy leftovers as always.

sideways
January 11, 2006 02:28AM
hey yoni
ever been to the nimbin fest?
January 11, 2006 04:24AM
Nah never been .. it's a bit of a hike to get there from Melbourne, but I have heard nuff good things about it !

Nimbin's a classic !
January 11, 2006 05:40AM
kool. something fun to do right before school starts.
looking forward to seeing Ras Michael perform.
January 12, 2006 08:14AM
lee perry? is he going to be at san diego?

chapter 11 is also playing at the LBC show
January 12, 2006 03:36PM
how is this arena for reggae shows? never been to the Long Beach fest before.

respect
January 12, 2006 04:55PM
If you go be sure and get floor tickets...otherwise your stuck up in the balcony and the sound is not as good up there and it has been smoky up there as well.

Some have complained about the sound but I find you can locate a good sweet spot on the floor and they have a huge video screen which is pretty nice.

The food vendors are outside and they have a sound system out there so its a good place to hang for some outdoor relief(fresh air) and food...just hope it doesnt rain.

There is also another indoor area for vendors selling crafts and Cd's and of course you can buy beer although last time they were selling double size beers for $10 which I dont like.
rockymtnyeti
January 12, 2006 09:31PM
This would be a lovely start to this years SNWMF line-up, lots of great acts
January 12, 2006 09:37PM
$55 for ground floor tickets for one day? goooondess!
January 12, 2006 11:55PM
$55? haha

Last year I went both days with my wife and it cost me over $700...hows that?

Breakdown:

Hotel Room 2 nights......... $300
Two Tickets for Two days....$200
Beer for two days..............$120 (6 beers per day at $10 each)
Food for two days..............$ 60
Gas/parking ....................$ 40
Breakfast for two...............$ 20

Grand total.......................$740 ( Geeez, am I nuts?)

I aint doing that again this year, we only going on Saturday !
January 13, 2006 12:59AM
Rhythmwize after it was over did you feel like it was worth that? I am planning on going this year and think it will cost us about the same to except more on the gas . going to start looking into hotels and stuff longbeach seems like the best lineup out of all the bob marley fests.
January 13, 2006 01:22AM
Well, i'm only doing Saturday....can't afford both days and i've seen all the artists on Sunday anyhow.
January 13, 2006 01:55AM
Anybody notice that Buju was at the top of the list yesterday and now he's gone? Here we go on the lineup carousel!!!

fourtwentyplenty
January 13, 2006 02:20AM
420; you missed the press releases. Got one in the morning announcing Buju had been added to the lineup, then by the afternoon, I got an update announcing that he will not be coming. That was one of the fastest turn arounds I have ever seen. But in Raggamuffins defense, they usually are pretty accurate, and when you wait to release the names until a month and a half before the show, it's pretty secure that most of these artists will be coming.

Irie Sis, the thing about Long Beach is that it comes when we are all really thirsty for a fest: dead of winter. When you get there, you have to go through this crazy security, they don't let you bring cameras, water, coolers, (don't seem to hate on the herb though: only at a reggae show!) They frisk the men and metal detect everyone. That's always a very strange feeling, being taken as guilty before entry to a reggae fest. Once you get through that hectic feeling and inside, it definately feels like a So Cal show. Much more vanity, expense and cross-cultural atmosphere. The arena feeling is a bit wierd but once you get used to it, (and find the sweet spot on the ground floor) then it's fine. It's actually kinda cool when an artists asks for everyone to light up their lighters and the people up in the top do and it looks hella sweet. For the ladies, bring tons of money for the vendors. Long Beach has the best vendors, hands down. I always drop around $300 on the vendors. They have this whole other convention hall full of stuff that you can only get down there. Though I'm not much on the arena scene, it's the only option this time of year and I find myself making plans to go every year. Raggamuffins always seems to come through with an artist that I just can't miss. This year, as last year, I'll pay the price for Gentleman!! And the best part is, he will be at Long Beach, San Diego, and San Francisco with his backing band, the Far East Band. Yes, I will be attending all three. It's expensive but this time of year, it's the only reggae I can get and I'll pay top dollar for that!

Ever Forward
Empress
sideways
January 13, 2006 02:28AM
dammit i want 2 hear freddy too!!! but cant miss the scratch.
& only 1 day i can make....
and the wailers...
what 2 do?
will trade anyone part a for part b (future notice..)?????
January 13, 2006 03:54AM
Irie Sis asks: Rhythmwize after it was over did you feel like it was worth that?

To tell you the truth, I cant remember what i thought last year after it was all over. I never really figured it out up front what I thought it would cost and when I did add it up I was a little shocked. I can buy two round trip air tics to Jamaica for that or a laptop for that matter. I would say for me its probably not worth it for the two day thing again this year...that place will wear you down spending ten or more hours in there with a massive crowd and the concrete floor and all and I was tired of it all at the end of the second day...but its a personal choice and I can only speak for myself. If you are coming from a long way then two days probably makes sense...

And, just like the Empress said, this is an Urban Reggae Festival and things are not like SNWMF or ROTR, ect. For one thing, no re-entry and no backpacks and no nothing for that matter...one year when it was raining they even took your umbrella at the door and if you dont get there early there can sometimes be a very long line due to the intrusive security checks...that line used to be really bad several years ago but things have seemed to improve the last year or two.
I would check the long list of prohibited items if you have any concerns about something...I just read it somewhere, I think on the website.

BTW, the floor tickets sell out at some point I think about 1 to 2 weeks in advance...without floor tickets I would not go but if worst comes to worst you can probably buy them the day of the festival from a scalper at an inflated price.
January 13, 2006 04:02AM
On hotels, I did the Westin last year but it looks liked they priced me out this year with much higher rates upward of $200. I booked the Long Beach Courtyard Marriott this year which is a good choice and very close...$123 per nite with AAA
plus some tax and $7 a nite for parking (via Orbitz). Nice hotel, I stayed there before one year.
January 13, 2006 05:27AM
thanks for the info rhythmwize much appreciated.
January 13, 2006 05:38AM
go to san diego-
mellow security- cheaper hotels- nicer vibe-
I'm driving from Tahoe---
think about it
peaces---
ganjalion
January 19, 2006 04:17PM
Everton Blender just got added for Saturday.
January 19, 2006 04:46PM
Here are the comparative lineups for both days, as of today.
Subject to change of course.

Based on my personal preferences, Saturday appears to be
a much stronger lineup.

What do yuh think? If you had too pick one day, which would you choose and why?

SATURDAY SUNDAY

Anthony B...............................Wailers

Gregory Isaacs..........................Luciano

Gentleman...............................Itals

Lee Scratch Perry.......................Freddie McGregor

Horace Andy............................Ras Michael

Admiral Bailey.........................Misty In Roots

Pato Banton............................Dezarie

Everton Blender........................Matisyahu

Spearhead..............................Odell

Elan.....................................?

Chapter 11.............................?
January 19, 2006 04:50PM
Sunday for 4 reasons: Misty In Roots, Dezarie, Luciano and Freddie McGregor. Anthony B and Horace Andy are the only real standouts for me on Saturday, though the addition of everton is a nice one. But counter that with Ras Michael and the original Itals, and its sunday hands-down for me

Post Edited (01-19-06 09:18)
ganjalion
January 19, 2006 06:45PM
i'm only going on Saturday...too much for both days. but i feel Saturday has a stronger line-up. not downing Sunday at all, i would love to hit up both days. but for my money...its gonna be Saturday.
January 19, 2006 10:16PM
Question, i've read a couple of replys saying no backpacks allowed? So we can't bring water, cameras, coolers, backpacks? Anything else? How about a mini backpack? lol

Please advice...thanks! i'm looking fwd to those highly-advertised vendors winking smiley
January 19, 2006 10:33PM
A word to those of you needing accomodations for the Long Beach festival.

My bid of $50 a night for a four-star hotel was accepted by Priceline.com. It comes to 64/night with all the taxes and things. Can't beat that. I figured I would be getting the Westin again (like last year), which is right accross the street, but ended up getting the Renaissance, which is 2 blocks away......
January 20, 2006 12:53AM
A couple questions Daniel:

1) Why a 4 star? Anything in particular that made you go for a 4 star instead of something cheaper?

2) Are you planning on checking in Friday and out Monday?

fourtwentyplenty
jb welda
January 20, 2006 01:27AM
if you can get a four star hotel for 50$ then why bother with something less?

if you got it, flaunt it as i would say.

one love
jah bill
January 20, 2006 02:00AM
With priceline, you don't know which hotel (or where) until your offer has been accepted. All the four star hotels are congregated in a small area immediately surrounding the venue. That is why i made that selection. I hate staying at chain hotels, but bury my principals each year when the BMD festivals are happening....
January 20, 2006 02:28AM
Thats why I didnt do it this year...I was concerned about paying up-front non-refundable and not knowing the location of the hotel. I just checked Expedia for Long Beach Hotels and it looks to me like there are at least three or four other hotels in Long Beach that are not within walking distance of the Arena and have the same rating at the Renaissance, like the Queen Mary, the Marriott LB and the Coast LB just to name a few. So, either your lucky or you know something I dont know. More power too ya.
January 20, 2006 03:07AM
However, pon further consideration that is such a good deal it maybe worth it even if the hotel wasnt within walking distance...assuming of course you have someone to drive that doesnt have a blood-alcohol greater then 0.079% when leaving.

Another thing is we have two other couples also getting rooms and we all want be in the same hotel...not sure how that would workout with priceline.com

But, $50 a nite in the Renaissance is de bomb.
January 20, 2006 03:29AM
They got an option for purchasing multiple rooms, so that would solve that problem.....
jb welda
January 20, 2006 05:07PM
if youre getting a nice room for that incredible rate, i would think hiring a taxi to take you to and from the venue would be cost effective and would end all transport worries.

one love
jah bill
January 20, 2006 05:47PM
Right, in fact for that incredible rate you could hire a limo and arrive like a big time top shotta.

And you would save the $7 or $10 parking fee at the arena.
jb welda
January 20, 2006 06:09PM
ive never been, partly because of exactly this, but they sure seem to nickel and dime you to death at that thing and it doesnt sound all that great to begin with what with being inside a crowded smoky auditorium, not being able to leave the grounds, having to buy a big cup of crap beer for exorbinant prices, intrusive security checks, big lists of what you cant bring in and, from what i hear and notwithstanding the "sweet spots", crap for sound plus this "upper/lower" business.

personally i much prefer norcal shows where its less crowded and less of a rat race and typically at least, not full of hidden charge "gotchas" and stuff to make your experience less than optimum.

im sure there are some paybacks but right offhand i cant see them. i guess one of them is the better lineup in LA vs SF but to tell the truth i rarely bother with the SF show either...way too much obigatory marley songs done by everyone for one thing. yes marley was the king; can we move on now while continuing the respect for the man if not what his merchandising arm is like these days?

one love
jah bill
jb welda
January 20, 2006 06:12PM
now if the line up for ONE DAY was like this, i would consider changing my outlook:

Anthony B
Luciano
Gentleman
(original) Itals with decent backup
Freddie McGregor
Horace Andy
Ras Michael
Admiral Bailey
Misty In Roots
Dezarie
Everton Blender

one love
jah bill
January 20, 2006 06:26PM
Damn JB, except for Admiral Bailey, your list of the 'best' artists to cull from the Southern Cali shows matches mine to a tee. At least they didn't exclude Misty In Roots from this year's Northern California festivals......
January 20, 2006 06:31PM
Yeah, if you arent comfortable in big crowds this place may not be for you. <understatement>

I like to go outside frequently between acts or if its someone I'm not interested in seeing(like Spearhead) and theres this huge bottleneck of people going too and from outside where the food and sound system is located and its like working your way up front to the stage on Saturday Night at ROTR, OK not quite that bad, but its bad. And, not a good situation to have your wallet in your back pocket.

I definitely dont like putting up with all that crap, exactly like you stated JB, however, I always go with a group of friends and we manage to have a lot of fun, so every year we almost always go one day and sometimes both days.

In fact, I was just thinking about that recently...This Bob Marley Day show was probably the first reggae festival I ever attended. At that time, probably about 1978 or 1980, it was held outdoors at McArthur Park in downtown Los Angeles.
jb welda
January 20, 2006 06:36PM
admiral bailey had a couple of boomshots just last year and i include him for those if nothing else.

one love
jah bill
January 20, 2006 06:53PM
Long Beach Arena Rules of Engagement:

• No check-in area for any prohibited item.
• No SMOKING of any KIND inside Venue.
• No illegal substances.
• Weapons of any kind or any item that can be construed as a weapon.
• No outside food or beverages. (The only exceptions are for medical reasons or baby food.)
• No tailgate gatherings in the parking lots.
• All persons entering the facility are subject to search of their persons and belongings at the discretion of the Long Beach Arena.
• All jackets, pockets and bags will be searched upon entry. Purses, diaper bags and other small personal bags are allowed, but will be inspected at all entrances.
• No large bags, backpacks or boxes are allowed in the building.
• Items confiscated at entry will not be returned to the owner at anytime during or after the event has concluded.
• No cans, bottles, coolers or other similar containers.
• No video or audio recorders.
• No laser pens or laser products Long Beach Arena / SMG reserves the right to make the final determination on prohibited items. In the event that prohibited items are revealed in a search, guests will be asked to dispose of the items or return them to their cars before re-entering the building.

Exit and No Re-Entry:
Exiting and re-entering the building with the same ticket is not permitted. Exceptions are only made in the case of medical situations and emergencies. Guests with medical emergencies or other emergencies who want to leave and then return to the building should be directed to the Security Personnel at each entry point. The ticket for the event must be produced and then scanned out for exit.

Patron Conduct:
The following behavior or activities are grounds for eviction from the Long Beach Arena:
• Failure to obey or follow Long Beach Arena smoking policies.
• Use of illegal substances or drugs.
• Possession of illegal or unauthorized items inside the Arena.
• Use of profanity or unacceptable language of any type.
• Unacceptable or indecent dress.
• Damaging or the intent to damage property of the Long Beach Arena.
• Entering or attempting to enter any "off limits" areas such as backstage, dressing room area, or restroom of the opposite sex.
• Participating in a fight.
• Verbally abusing, threatening or intimidating other guests or Arena employees.
• The throwing of any objects or projectiles in seating areas, on stage, on the ice surface or any other areas.
Patrons who fail to abide by Arena policies, state and federal law are subject to ejection from the facility. Any patron who is violating Arena policy will be asked to correct their behavior and, if they fail to do so in a timely fashion, will be ejected. Individuals who have been ejected must vacate Arena property or be subject to arrest on trespassing charges.
January 20, 2006 08:41PM
I grew up in the LA area and even though I now livein NORCAL I have great respect for ther southern california massive. Also, in twenty years of going to shows in and around LA I have NEVER had anything green taken by security even before prop 215 passed, so there should be no worries in that department. But, rules are strict because crime is all around, much like in Marysville, there are always thugs that come to shows just to jack helpless hippies and rastas for their goods. so be on your toes, but have a great time.
peaces---
wildflower
January 20, 2006 10:10PM
Hey Daniel,

thanks for the priceline tip. I didn't even think of trying there until I saw your post. Got the same deal - $50 @ the Renaissance. Respect!
January 23, 2006 06:10PM
Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the priceline tip too...I took a chance and put in for 2 four-star rooms in Long beach for $50 for Sat. Feb. 18th and they came thru with the Renaissance. Woooeee, is that a good deal or what. So, I then cancelled my Courtyard Marriott rooms. I think in the future I will try that again some weekends even if there is no festival...$50 a nite in a four-star hotel and some nice clubs within walking distance is sweet.
January 23, 2006 07:21PM
Glad that worked out for you Rhythmwize & Wildflower. It looks like we'll be having a SNWMF after party courtesy of Renaissance...
wildflower
January 23, 2006 09:17PM
Rythmwize,

I'm not too familiar with the area. Where are those nice clubs you speak about?

Blessup!
January 23, 2006 10:45PM
Ras Danny, DJ Short Change, 'n Tall Tim representin' Ptown at da Renaissance, 17th & 18th, then off ta da Holiday Inn in SD onna 19th (late)...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 23, 2006 11:16PM
Im not too familiar with the clubs in the area either but I know there are some along Pine St. which is close to the Renaissance. Thats the hot area for nitelife. That whole area has been revitalized and there are alot of clubs and nice places to eat all around there.
Im remember a cool blues club just north of Ocean up from the arena and there is/was a Friday night reggae club at Club 49... 49 S. Pine St. Also, there are a couple places that serve Caribbean food in the area, I'll see if I can get the addresses.
January 24, 2006 06:50PM
Wildflower or others; Heres one for ya after the show at the Arena if you still have any energy or money left:
..............................................................................................
Carnival Jumbies joined with Caribbean Hut to bring to you a Dinner
and Dance on the 18th of February.

$20 includes Buffet from 8pm to 11pm........and entertainment.

This is the weekend of Bob Marley Festival, so if you are heading
down there, stop by afterwards.

Date: Saturday 18th February, 2006
Promoters: Carnival Jumbies & Caribbean Hut Restaurant
Event: Post Valentine's, Pre Carnival Dinner and Dance
Location: Caribbean Hut Restaurant, 701 Pine Ave, Long Beach, CA -
(562) 435-9777
Time: 8:00pm -2:00 am
Admission: $20.00 in Advance, $25 at the Door (includes BUFFET from
8pm to 11pm)
Entertainment: Sapadilla (Einstein) & Hot SOCA DJ (Valet Parking
Available)
Tickets: 310-410-1596, 562-706-0061, or visit Caribbean Hut
Restaurant
January 25, 2006 02:12AM
I need a place to stay anyone know of any idren floor I can sleep on or a close and hopefully cheap hotel
January 25, 2006 02:56AM
Josh? are you only going to the LB show?!?!? We would love to get together but I gotta do the SD show. Vibez dem strong ana local is niceness. Lemmie know. Please also get at me on the Cedric thing. I would love to make it happen sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon. I am now a pusher of dem irie chunes seen. I ciant turn back now ya'ear me now!

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
January 25, 2006 04:42AM
On Friday, February 17 - Dakeye and the Detour Posse will be the performing at Club 49 (now called THE CAVE)
49 Pine Ave
Long Beach

There is a $10 cover charge - but everyone is admitted free before 9:30 PM.

Hope to see you all there.

There will be many special guests: including Prince Jabba

Write to me at missmarjel@detourposse.com if you have any questions.
January 26, 2006 08:09PM
Has anyone seen the revised line up?
January 26, 2006 08:17PM
Yeah, and I'll leave my comments regarding The Wailers behind, but as to having Matisyahu on stage AFTER Anthony B, Misty in Roots, Luciano and Freddie McGregor, all i can say is "oy vey". Then again, who knows, maybe in 15 years everybody will have long forgotten about AB, MIR, Luci and Freddie, as Matis will be the next big reggae superstar........NOT!
January 26, 2006 09:15PM
> Matis ....... next big reggae superstar.....

LMAO! lol hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 26, 2006 09:25PM
Daniel sey: but as to having Matisyahu on stage AFTER Anthony B, Misty in Roots, Luciano and Freddie McGregor, all i can say is "oy vey".

Of course, they are doing the same thing on Saturday nite with Spearhead and they did it last year with Ozma-latte(ha), so its obvious they are unjustly giving Americans primetime appearance time slots for some reason...which baffles the hell out of me.

Can anyone even make a guess as to why this happening?

IMO, these artists are luckly to even have a spot on the billing, and if it we're up to me, they would be on early afternoon or more likely, not on the billing at all.
January 26, 2006 09:35PM
My comment was directed at the popularity and quality of the music performed by the artist, without regards to nationality. I agree with you re: Michael Franti, but see one 'amerikan' who is not being given an unjust time slot..... DEZARIE!!!

Fortunately, she'll have plenty of 'primetime appearances' around these parts:

Feb. 17 Santa Cruz, CA Veterans Hall
Feb 22 San Diego, CA World Beat Center
Feb. 24 Redway, CA Mateel Community Center
Feb. 27 Crystal Bay, NV Tahoe Biltmore (Club Breeze)
Feb. 28 Nevada City, CA Miners Foundry
March 2 Ashland, OR Ashland Armory
March 3 Portland, OR Berbati's Pan
March 4 Seattle, WA Cafe Ibex
March 5 Eugene, OR WOW Hall
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login