Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

war

Posted by Ninjacat 
war
January 12, 2006 12:14AM
has anyone on this board ever served time in the military?
Re: war
January 12, 2006 03:39AM
served time, but nah inna military...
January 12, 2006 03:52AM
I'd never serve in the military, but my brother's currently in survival training for the air force. Already did Boot Camp, and I guess the survival training is part of tech school before he goes into full service. Peace.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
January 12, 2006 05:20AM
did a tour in the marines 20 years ago.
got out in '87

Michael
January 12, 2006 07:18AM
Why do you ask my brother? The general lethargy of the massive has me down a lot lately. Agreed I am doing fine and those I know are happy, but there are so so many Iraqi people now that my government has affected that I have no idea on how to give them peace. Not to preach to the choir but man.....

Goatfoot
Stevo
January 12, 2006 11:38AM
Michael-
I missed the runnings in MN. Just having a lot of fun with my family. Did you reach the spot? How was it?
-Stevo
January 12, 2006 05:03PM
Retired as an E-8 (Master Sergeant) after 24 years from the Army. Swallowed the ENTIRE line of crap when I was young -- went airborne, Ranger, SF. My first kill-or-be-killed situations occurred in the Middle East, around the time of the Iranian hostage crisis and the last was Desert Storm. Escaped mostly unscathed -- except for the occasional nightmares and a a few nice scars.

And then...

I started thinking for myself -- now I advise the youth to stay out of the military and don't believe the hype.

Recruiters = Sales Force
Pentagon = Corporate Headquarters

That's why I always signoff with "Peace", not cause I'm a hippie.

Peace,
-RV

PS -- Why do you ask Ninja?
January 12, 2006 05:17PM
I just want to know., politics aside, what you thought of your service. Did it help you as a human being? Did it change your view of life and death? Those sorts of things. A lot of people tend to assume that people in the military have a uniform view of what they are doing and being asked to do. I respect soldiers on all sides of the conflict, because they seem to have pushed themselves to the max of what it means to be human.
January 12, 2006 05:36PM
Ninjacat wrote:

> I just want to know., politics aside, what you thought of your
> service. Did it help you as a human being? Did it change your
> view of life and death? Those sorts of things. A lot of people
> tend to assume that people in the military have a uniform view
> of what they are doing and being asked to do. I respect
> soldiers on all sides of the conflict, because they seem to
> have pushed themselves to the max of what it means to be human.

When I was doing my thang, I never thought about the larger picture. I would describe my view of thing as a mix of fatalism and realism.

Did being in the service help me? I'd have to say that, for me personally, it was a mixed bag. I learned how to be responsible to myself and my fellow soldiers. It taught me to cherish honor, truth, and integrity in those I deal with -- violate any of those principles with me and we're through. The dark side is that I became adept at walling off my emotions and thinking that I could (should) handle the stress of participating in Amerikkka's secret wars and witnessing the deaths of so many friends and people I did not know.

Did it change my view of Life and Death? Certainly -- I am pretty fatalistic about Death (how 'bout that phrase for irony, folks). When you're number comes up, you are done. That's why I view every day as a gift from Jah. Therefore, I find myself having a pretty non-standard set of priorities with regard to living life. I try not to live at the expense of others and to raspect all people. I work as a software developer, but that is not who I am.

Peace,
-RV
Acacia
January 12, 2006 05:39PM
So Ninja, what DOES it mean to be human?

winking smiley Just kidding...
January 12, 2006 05:46PM
I'm more than willing to take the advice of former vets such as RV, and stay out of the military entirley. Personally think my brother is insane for joining the air force, but everyone saw it coming for years, so it wasn't unexpected. Peace.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
January 12, 2006 06:20PM
ACacia,

That is a good question. ugess it would be asier to point out what I meant. That is that to puch your self to the mental and physical limits on a daily basies. To know that life and death are being dealt out on a daily basis is the reality for most people. We are fortunate and in the mnority of mankind that we do not come fae to face wtih this reality on a daily basis. It isn't that we are immune to it, but we our consciousness doesn't really aknowledge that we could go at any minute. We can understand it intellectually, but not necessarily emotionaly. These are of course generalizations, but that is closer to what I meant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login