Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The best greasy spoon cafe in London

Posted by Baldy 
The best greasy spoon cafe in London
January 12, 2006 02:57AM
Must surely be the Shepherdess Cafe on the corner of Old Street and Shepherdess Walk - where I was very pleased to meet Ian for lunch and to exchange chat and music the other day.

Big portions of greasy food, very nice waitresses and even the salads come with a chip garnish.

Respect

Baldy

Re: The best greasy spoon cafe in London
January 12, 2006 03:11AM
rutabowa
January 12, 2006 03:21AM
they freak me out those Edward Hopper painitngs!
I never been in the Shepherdess, it must be kind of my area too. my current favourite café is the Manhattan Café in Greenpoint, Brooklyn <-----*showing off*
January 12, 2006 04:06AM
Do you have a favourite in London ruta?

Respect

Baldy
rutabowa
January 12, 2006 04:14AM
it used to be a place called "Tony's" or something on Lower Clapton Road but i think that's closed now. The Mess Café on Amhurst Road is very nice for breakfast, not entirely "greasy spoon" but... yes I reckon taht's my favourite. But also when sometimes you don't fancy a fry-up the Café Bohemia on Bohemia Way (where Mare Street meets the railway bridge) does nice Turkish breakfasts that are a bit lighter.
MickH
January 12, 2006 04:17AM
Is there a chip shop still beside Turnham green tube station... i think it was called Chris's....well it was the best chippy in west london 15 years ago..
January 12, 2006 04:21AM
Best curry in London is the £5 all-you-can-eat buffet at Chutneys on drummond Street.

Veggie heaven and no mistake!

Respect

Baldy

Mash it Up! - Upbeat, danceable reggae and straight-up, funky-assed funk.
We give money to the Alpha Boys School
[www.mashitup.org.uk]
federal transit authority
January 12, 2006 04:26AM
thats what i need when im in london baldy!! veggie heaven for 5 squid..

i'll eat as much as i can and have plenty of money for records too smiling smiley

wooppeeeeeee
rutabowa
January 12, 2006 04:27AM
or that veggie curry place on Chapel Market nr Angel tube, they're amazing! you can pick whatever you like and it is v v cheap, even less than £5 I think.
January 12, 2006 04:30AM
Chutneys is MUCH better food than the one on Chapel market though ruta - and much less grubby too. Well woth the £2.05 extra

I was put off that one last time I was in there and there were these two health inspectors giving the owners repeated rollickings along the lines of - "And we told you last time you were here....blah blah....and nothing has changed!"

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
rutabowa
January 12, 2006 04:32AM
ha ha, ok well that's interesting! I've only been once and it was fairly ok, i like their "philosophy of food" posters on the walls.
January 12, 2006 04:55AM
Yes the philosophy of food posters are funny. And the Miss India pictures on the wall are diverting (which is particularly useful if your floors are grubby)

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 12, 2006 05:14AM
there is a nice curry shop on the second floor in the
covered market in covent garden....

one love one heart roots-ee
January 12, 2006 06:25AM
Agree about those cheapo curry houses, both good for veggies.
Completely wrong about the greasy spoon though. Best in London is definitely Johnny's Cafe on Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Junction. Best bubble and squeak outside of a Horace Andy LP.
The man
January 12, 2006 06:43AM
As Ruta says, the best breakfast cafe in Hackney is the Mess Cafe on Amhurst Road. Though not strictly greasy spoons, there are many Turkish cafes along Stoke Newington Road and Stoke Newington High Street where one can get a lahmacun for as little as £1. The best and cheapest placea to buy beigels are in Brick Lane, Bethnal Green and the corner of Stoke Newington High Street and Evering Road. My favourite veggie curry house remains the Bhel Poori that's been in Drummond Street for the past 30 years, though the service leaves much to be desired. My wife Shaune has been trying to take me to what she describes as the cosiest cafe in east Londopn, a mezze place half way between Hackney Marsh and Stratford. I miss the E&A salt beef bar in Stamford Hill and all those liitle Yiddish cafes that used to sit in Windmill Street in Soho. In spite of its proximity to the great Nile Street, I'd rate the Shepherdess as only ordinary. The most popular greasy spoon in Stokie, with everything from builders labourers to black partygoers to full on crusties, is a place called the Greasy Spoon. Also popular with a slight more well heeled crowd is Bodrum on Stoke High Street, though the place where you can usually find me is opposite at the lively (Italian/Turkish) Cafe Z Bar.

Penny Reel
January 12, 2006 06:48AM
Greasy spoons?

Dear, dear, Baldy! I do hope you have not still to be initiated into the joy of Rice and peas, Ackee and saltfish and of course Greedy G's fave - the humble pattie.
The man
January 12, 2006 06:50AM
Greedy G's favourite is not the humble pattie at all dear Fred but the king size meat pie.

Observer
January 12, 2006 07:18AM
Never mind the quality, feel the width! winking smiley

on my recent visit to the big smoke, I was surprised to find a chain of eateries "Bene Bene", serving cafe food made from organic ingredients at miniscule (by London standards) prices.

I had some good ackee & salfish at Ochi's in Shepherd's Bush and again later in Harlesden in the place just opposite Hawkeye Records which may be called something like "Caribbean One Stop".

The availability of Caribbean cuisine here in Northern Ireland is non-existent but I can console myself with some nice falafel on pitta bread.
January 12, 2006 08:12AM
Afraid you're wrong Penny! Give me a lamb or fish Jamaican pattie over a steak and kidney pie any day!!

Also my kebab eating days are behind me, I haven't had one for over 2 months now....

More likely to find me eating crispbread with dairylea cheese spread on these days.

Respect

Gordon
January 12, 2006 08:45AM
Penny - is that Bhel Poori called Diwana's do you know?

If so I would go for it as the best value in the evenings - but for lunches - I really recommend you try Chutneys right across the street.

And yes - the Shepherdess seems ordinary at first but now I've grown accustomed to her grease - and (unless I missed it of course) you never did reveal what is so great about Nile Street.

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 12, 2006 08:53AM
For reasonably priced wholesome-ish veggie food in Soho - I recommend the 'Beat Route' on Berwick Street. Although its pretty much takeaway only, its good cheap food in close proximity to the area's best remaining record shops.

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 12, 2006 09:09AM
Anyone tried that Jamaican place just off of Oxford Street? (Forgot the name now but passed it once and it was almost empty when I glanced in the door so I decided to head across to Soho for some cheap Chinese food instead).

Respect

Gordon
January 12, 2006 09:11AM
I've not tried it I'm afraid Gordon - but I would be interested to hear any recommendations for Jamaican food outlets in London.

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 12, 2006 09:50AM
The place off Oxford Street is probably "Mr. Jerk" which I ate in a couple of years back but was closed when I passed just after Xmas. It's down Berwick Street I think, or maybe Poland Street. Food was good when I was there.

The wee place in Brixton just down from the Railway Bridge was great - Rainbow Bream with rice and peas and callaloo. Dee-lish!!
I think it's on the corner of Atlantic road.
grumpy
January 12, 2006 10:00AM
I'ld welcome any thumbs-ups for Eritrean or Ethiopian restaurants in London; would auction my granny for a decent tray of enjeera and a beaker of tej.

For first-rate Sudanese cooking (and beverages) I'ld recommend the Mandola on Westbourne Grove.
January 12, 2006 11:02AM
That's the one Freddy, I'll check it out next time I'm in town then. However, the idea of a Jamaican place "up the West End" fills me with some doubt. Probably Sainsburys Jerk Chicken ready meals done in a microwave out the back :-)

Respect

Gordon
January 12, 2006 11:10AM
gordon, is that JA place on oxford street ( near to dean street? )
January 12, 2006 11:17AM
Dean Street runs parallel to the street it is on .... but it is nearer to Oxford Circus
January 12, 2006 11:25AM
189 Wardour Street, London, W1F 8ZD

Respect

Gordon
ian
January 12, 2006 11:39AM
Hi Baldy,

Yes it was good to meet you for lunch in The Shepherdess the other day and for me to try their fare for the first time. Yum!

Today I dined out on egg, chips and beans in Arthur's Cafe on Kingsland Road, a family run greasy spoon thats been there for generations. I'll take you there on your return visit!

Grumpy, there's an Eritrean restaurant on Essex Road in Islington called Zigni House, I'll give you directions the next time your in the big smoke. Here's a link to some African restaurants in London inclusing a few more Ethiopian/Eritrean eateries... [www.allinlondon.co.uk]

(now how do you activate a live link on here????)

Cheers,
Ian
grumpy
January 12, 2006 11:59AM
Thank you, Ian. Perhaps you'll join me for a bite there next time I'm in London.
ian
January 12, 2006 12:08PM
Yes, I definately will do.

Cheers,
Ian
Baldy
January 12, 2006 12:42PM
January 12, 2006 12:47PM
so gordon and freddy,
it is NOT on oxford st but it is on
189 Wardour Street, London, W1F 8ZD

where wardour is parallel to dean and berwick street but closer to berwick street?

correct?

cheers,

one love one heart roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
[www.thearkband.blogspot.com]
Grumpy
January 12, 2006 12:50PM
And I hope you'll join us too, Baldy.
Baldy
January 12, 2006 01:14PM
That's very kind Grumpy. I'd love to.

respect

Baldy
January 12, 2006 01:52PM
I think so Root-see, yes. It's just as you turn onto the street from Oxford Street.

Respect

Gordon
im gonna get FaTtA
January 13, 2006 12:49AM
im printing this thread..yippeeeeeeee
January 13, 2006 01:46AM
Grumpy - if you're on the south side, there's a very friendly Ethiopian resto on Wandsworth Road, between Vauxhall & Clapham Junction. (Axum restaurant), that we occasionally pop into for a lunchtime tej.
bedward
January 13, 2006 01:56AM
Zigni House has great food...highly recommended.
January 13, 2006 02:20AM
Where is Zigni House please bedward?

And what kind of food is served up there?

Thanks and respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 13, 2006 02:36AM
Hi Grumpy, there's a really nice Ethiopian restaurant on Coldharbour Lane in Brixton, near the junction with Atlantic Road. That coffee at the end nearly blew my head off.
There's an Eritrean I haven't tried yet but spotted on Saturday on Brixton Road near Oval tube station.
January 13, 2006 04:16AM
Pellicci's in Bethnal Green is an old fave.
January 13, 2006 04:33AM
Ah, "that coffee". Where is the "bunna" of yesteryear? I can taste it in my fevered imagination right now. I am a bundle of yearning. Thanks for the further recommendations, Ringo and Arty.
MickH
January 13, 2006 04:48AM
all this talk about food...I would eat a nuns @rse through a convent gate at the moment.
January 13, 2006 04:56AM
I just had a delicious falafel for my lunch accompanied by Studio One archive special vol.33

Mmmmmmmm

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
bedward
January 13, 2006 05:31AM
Zigni House

Named after the spicy stews of Eritrea (there's an overlap with Ethiopian food: enjera sourdoughs underpin the food), Zigni also offers alichas (milder, drier stews), and even east African breakfasts.

330 Essex Road, London N1, 020-7226 7418

[www.toptable.co.uk]
[www.guardian.co.uk]

The man
January 13, 2006 05:40AM
Amsterdam is better for Ethiopian food than London.

Observer
bedward
January 13, 2006 05:42AM
Eritreans don't like Ethiopia or Ethiopian food much
The man
January 13, 2006 05:44AM
You might as well say that Croats dont like Serbs or that southern Ireland catholics don't like Northern Ireland prots, or that Palestinians dislike Israelis.

Reel
January 13, 2006 06:16AM
Or that dreadlocks nah like baldhead, though where does that leave the beardsman?
January 13, 2006 07:18AM
Hmm, Bedward. Point taken at the political level but re food I've eaten enjeera at both Eritrean and at Ethiopian caffs and drunk tej at both too. But I know what you mean; as a Yorkshireman I assert that no-one from any other county knows how to cook fish and chips, especially Lancastrians but I daresay a citizen of Addis Abeba or Asmara may innocently ask for a decent fish and chip shop in Manchester (of which there is, categorically, not a single one).
January 13, 2006 08:02AM
Proper fish & chips are fried in beef dripping, apparently. (right or wrong?)

I tend to fear Chip shops because of this, having spent about 13 years as a vegetarian and the last 8 or so eating only fish in addition to this.
January 13, 2006 08:07AM
Beef dripping is almost never used in chippies in London and the South. My experience north of Watford is that the opposite seems to be true - Yuck!

I always ask - its better than going chipless.

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 13, 2006 08:35AM
Cheers Baldy for clearing that up .

I don't mind going chipless - I prefer champ. Is that word known outside of Northern Ireland??

If not, 'champ' is mashed potato (spuds to us here, tatties in Scotland) with some chopped spring onions (scallions) mixed in. Milk, butter, salt and pepper also involved, of course.

When I go to my favourite Chippy (Fish & Chip shop, don't want to baffles our US buddies) I always get a falafel. Failing that it's usually a trip to the Imdian for a Vegetable Dansak and a Peshwari Nan.

You Londoners have it so good - if I'd the choice it'd be Ackee & Saltfish every time.
rutabowa
January 13, 2006 09:38AM
another recommendation for Zigni House here. For caribbean food i quite like the cafe upstairs in the Covent Garden covered market, where someone else mentioned you can also get v cheap Indian food.
Grumpy
January 13, 2006 10:13AM
When then Prime Minister, Mrs Thatcher visited Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley (eh 'oop), she asked the proprietor what the secret of good fish and chips was. "Beef drippin', lass" was the answer.
tim p
January 13, 2006 11:13AM
I'd also reccomend Zigni's - great food and a nice place too.

On the subject of food what's Reggae Jerk on West Green Road like?
Reggaemusicstore
January 13, 2006 12:07PM
Baldy, I can't take greasy spoons, quick way to a heart attack. There's a place just round the corner from Dougie's studio which I'll admit to going in for a coffee & a tuna salad roll (they'd fry that too if you let them). The clientele look like something out of a victorian workhouse - everyone looks as though they're terminally ill, stoically puffing on fags as they cough what seems like their last breath. Poverty in action, but that's Dalston for you.
Baldy
January 13, 2006 12:14PM
I wasn't expecting such an interesting thread - thank you.

It looks like a consensus is building for Zigni on Essex Road then.

Hurry up and come to London brother Grumpy!

Respect

Baldy
January 13, 2006 12:40PM
we have a local place here, 24/7 that is 'fondly' nicknamed

'cholesterol heaven'
ian
January 14, 2006 05:32AM
Wow, Zigni's does seem to be popular, in that case if anyone is in the area during the week and fancys meeting there for lunch or a late breakfast, then I spend about half of my working week on the estate directly opposite it, so am free to meet up to chat reggae and the like over a bowl of their finest stew.

Cheers,
Ian
bedward
January 14, 2006 01:06PM
Next Month after payday
Baldy
January 14, 2006 02:08PM
Well ian, I am doing a few CDs for you. And what I save on postage and packing could be spent on good nosh......(although of course, I am rather partial to a greasy fry-up too).

I'll be in touch soon-ish.

Respect

Baldy
January 15, 2006 11:13AM
I think the best Ethiopian restuarant in London is the Menelik on the Cally Rd; great tibs with bonus sound downstairs at the weekend
The man
January 16, 2006 05:14AM
I like a cafe as much for its ambience as its food.

Observer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login