SOJA

Posted by Dr Cool Breeze 
Dr Cool Breeze
SOJA
January 12, 2006 03:44AM
Are these hippy cats fi real ?
Re: SOJA
January 12, 2006 04:03AM
They are for real hippies, but slack as Rastas. Observe them and see they drink like mammouths at a carnival sloshing it chasing skimpy dressed ooman.
January 12, 2006 08:30AM
Yeah, no Rasta ever chased a ooman in a skimpy dress, or any dress for that matter
david
January 12, 2006 09:16AM
"Are these hippy cats fi real?"
How are they hippies? What do you mean "fi real?" Are you talking about the music they play?

Iah nazarite izuz, are you one of those "nazarites" that doesn't eat grapes???

While we are on the topic of carnivals, hippies, and ooman.... Maybe you should just listen to the music and decide for yourself if you like it or not...

d

January 12, 2006 12:50PM
Wow Iah Nazarite Izus, you seem to have SOJA all figured out.

"observe them" you say....no thanks
January 12, 2006 03:10PM
I ran into the bass player last year at the fest one evening. He did not seem intoxicated at all. I had a nice chat with him for about 5 min, and did not detect a hint of alchohol on his breath, I couldn't say the same for me. Luckily ya'll dont hold me to the same standards as other white reggae musicians...
January 13, 2006 09:39AM
No grapes no raisens no funeral no trim no husk. IAH have close idren who brought SOJA to several shows in the O-HI-O area so IAH got a chance to be around them. Before the shows they refused JAH kind herbs but instead chose to drink. After the shows IWAH would see dem sloshing it inclunding bassie while hunting the skimpies dem. Notice IAH selectively use the word observe and refrain from saying judge. IAH am letting the innah circle perspective known so the other eyes have the warning flag to iyahstinguish(dis-tinguish) between Rasta and hippie. Wha JAH say "no hipppiedumb in a this yah ZION". I fine line and InInI must seperate InInI from society at large to form the truel iving house of JAH Rastafari.
Shabot Shalom countdown 7 hours
wadada
January 13, 2006 10:09AM
Iah, you are absolutely right on. I grew up in a town (in VA) right next to these catz.. and I tell ya, they are definitely slack for sure. I've seen these guys in action (at shows) numerous times drinking and chasing skirts..acting abnoxious. Not actually the upful soldiers the world needs to represent Jah.

related note: Jacob, the lead singer for SOJA is a waiter at local heathen factory that goes by the name of Rock Bottom Brewery! LOL
now how funny is that!? you all decide....

One Love
January 13, 2006 11:09AM
Drinking the occasional beer or stout should not disqualify one from being taken seriously as a reggae artist or musician. You dreader-than-thou's would be shocked and surprised if you knew which of the Jamaican righteous rasta singers you idolize have a weakness for the Hennesy or the overproof.
January 13, 2006 11:33AM
I cannot speak to the character of SoJA other than what I have seen at the couple shows they've played here ... one which I booked ... they were mature and professional and gave the people what they wanted ... music ... I didn't "observe" any over-the-top drinking ... even though I didn't "observe" them much ... haha ... I count them all as good friends though I do not know them all that well ... they played great music that the people loved and wanted more of ... the "if you're gonna talk the talk you better walk the walk" could be applied to any number of reggae artist ... black white whatever ... dread baldhead bobo ... maybe you should go observe sizzla ... someone with much more pull and influence on the youth dem and write us back about his upfull living ... i guess internet use was not discussed in the vows of the nazarite ... i will end however with "LONG LIVE PRECEPTS" i enjoy mine to the fullness ... also ... foward on SoJA ... keep working hard and stay true and strong
ras 'cause i dont drink
January 13, 2006 11:44AM
how ignorant can you be? ive been to thousands of reggae shows and toasted with the best of them. some drink, some dont. who the **** cares? what im gettin tired of is these redneck rastas talking in patois knowing damn well theyre from middle america. i think next time i encounter one, ill bust em over the head with a heineken... welcome to jamrock bitch.
bad news bears
January 13, 2006 12:03PM
NEWS FLASH:

Iah Nazarite Izuz declares Bob Marley is a hippie. read more...

...He is no longer revered as a devout Rastafarian because Iah Nazarite discovered Bob Marley enjoyed an alcoholic beverage.

Uh oh, this just in... Bob Marley loves the ladies. Apparently he too chased the skirts. Iah Nazarite comments by saying, "a true rasta only drinks hatorade and does not flirt with women." he later goes on by saying, "it is true SOJA music is conscious and in fact one of the best sounds Ive heard since Bob Marley. But unfortunately the players of instruments are white, drink alcohol and like women. So by default their music sucks."
papajoshua
January 13, 2006 12:15PM
STOP WATCH MAN...A MAN IS JUST A MAN...IF A MAN YOU SEEK GO WATCH MAN
jb welda
January 13, 2006 12:21PM
>But unfortunately the players of instruments...like women.

wait. is this a trick question?

one love
jah bill
bee
January 13, 2006 12:34PM
"Iah Nazarite Izuz", do you hang out with Wolete Kristos? Sometimes its hard to "iyahstinguish" between the 2 of you! How is the I-zarene community in Columbus doing? Last time I checked it was pretty Ites.
-I
-The I

jahrocka, your computer was made in a heathen factory

-The I dem

January 13, 2006 01:11PM
Imble yah babble speak.
big ups to the I observing Shabat Shalom
the I-zarene inna yah Adenena Hopewell(native tribes of the c-bus area that used water pipes) is livicating igher together with the VI uprising InInI are finding strength to prosper. Iah don know Wolete Kristos but if this is a serious message (as I'm sorry but lately it's very hard to tell who is being real on this site) I would like to forward on to meet the eye, soon come I'm sure. Raspect to Bob Marley and I have nothing against him although I don't listen to his music anymore. In a previous message I did adress my dissapointment for Sizzla saying the F word 16 times at a recent show and even supporting violence with some of his lyrics. Serious yah Iyabinghi and let none of the members of this site take the word sound agni for granted. The computer is a viable way to innect (connect) with eyes and get music out there so I have nothing against that. Some of you are sneaking venom through typing which will bite back. Iah jus bring some amrita to forward on. Anyone can master Ivaric speech and should be permitted to speak and write with that dignity just as anyone can learn a new language.
Iyatta Iyaggana
January 13, 2006 01:23PM
alcohol = hate, sex, violence (what the elite/Globalists promote)
whereas
herbs = love, wisdom, overstanding (what intelligent man practices)
January 13, 2006 01:43PM
"I don't watch people, I don't watch people, people watch me. Because people who watch people almost always disagree.." or something like that, haven't heard that song in a while but it popped into my head when I read this thread.

Iah said,

"Wha JAH say "no hipppiedumb in a this yah ZION".

No, what Jah said to pharasies like you is "He who has no sin, cast the first stone."
Cha..
Without Grace "no humandumb in a this yah ZION"
With Grace "Jah is for everyone"
ForwardZion...............
bee
January 13, 2006 01:57PM
January 13, 2006 01:59PM
I only encountered SOJA very brielfy backstage at snwmf, seemed like nice people. Curious as to why you're specificaly pointing them out for things that a majority of reggae artists are involved in (drinking, smoking, chasing women). If you expect any of the musicians to not have any vices, your sadly mistaken. I can honestly say out of all the reggae artists (or pretty much any musician for that matter), there's maybe one or two who don't drink, smoke cigarettes, or chase women. Most people would not want your average musician living nextdoor. Gotta just look to the music, don't make idols out of the singers, and at the same time don't make them out to be heathens, their all just people. I'm sure even Iyah Nazarite has some vice, maybe not any of the above listed ones, but everyone has some sort of vice. Peace.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
IR
January 13, 2006 03:05PM
the music: [www.purevolume.com]

those with other motives, click here : [www.crazyshit.com]
January 13, 2006 04:40PM
"related note: Jacob, the lead singer for SOJA is a waiter at local heathen factory that goes by the name of Rock Bottom Brewery! LOL"

jahrocka you really did your homework, but let me tell you something son. dont be callin someone out for the way they make a living. is waiting tables not righteous enough for you? hardy har har he waits tables...is that funny to you? what do you do? sounds like you work for People or US magazine or some other "heathen" paparazzi newspaper the way you be spreadin the word. hease up there buddy, and mind your own bidnit
January 13, 2006 05:01PM
>alcohol = hate, sex, violence (what the elite/Globalists promote)
whereas
herbs = love, wisdom, overstanding (what intelligent man practices)

I honestly don't think either of those is always true. I know people who drink alcohol who are very nice, non-violent people. I also know plenty of herb smokers who are violent, hateful people. i'm probably in a minority here, but I don't believe there's much benefit to herb smoking, except for certain medical situations. I also don't think there's a benefit to alcohol either. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
January 14, 2006 08:04AM
I personally have found the five bredren in SOJA to walk their own walk, positively. Only a couple of them are true rasses unless I'm mistaken, and they seem righteous enuogh to me. And I'm pretty sure Jacob didn't ignore the herb at SNWMF 2005 smiling smiley Seriously though, anyone who was in the press tent and listened to them last summer surely knows that they have their heads on straighter than most when it comes to the issues of world peace, inity, etc. They're not out there faking the rasta thing, that's for sure. The bass player Ras Bob is a great student of the history of reggae and Rastafari too.

I think you'll be hard pressed to say that the standard for rasta reggae artists both hisorically and in the present is to not "chase skirts" or enjoy alcohol. And I wouldn't disrespect how a guy makes a living unless it's illegal. Heck, I skinned squirrels to help pay for college...real glorious work that.

I'm biased though, I really like SOJA. They communicate far better than most with the DJ's smiling smiley And besides, my fourth child entered the world Friday night to the sounds of their new CD. The OB doc was gently skankin' to it as she delivered our baby!

Respect-

DJ Bahilman
Mafe
January 15, 2006 01:48PM
Lo importante es el mensaje no quien lo dice...
Mafe
January 15, 2006 01:52PM
I like women and I love getting high

I like a house and a car just fine but

I love Jah and Creation too,

and I don’t really care if it’s all right with you.

I love my family even the bald heads,

and I love my friends even with no dreads

cuz we all get by and to ourselves be true-

and I don’t really care if it’s Rasta to you

smiling smiley

IR
January 15, 2006 02:08PM
review by
DJ Bahilman
SKY.fm Roots Reggae
[www.sky.fm]

Artist: SOJA
Album: Get Wiser
Release: 2006
Label: Innerloop
Rating: 5 stars

It’s been roughly 4 years since the release of SOJA’s first full-length album, the classic “Peace In A Time Of War,” which became one of the standard-bearers for modern US roots reggae. I had the pleasure of seeing them perform live last summer at SNWMF, and even though they had an 11 AM slot on the Village Stage, they absolutely mashed the place up, and not only did they convince the massive that they were as good as their buzz, the abundance of new material hinted at an upcoming CD.

All too often, a great band follows up its breakthrough first album with a flame-out sophomore effort (anybody remember the Spin Doctors?), usually because they try to milk the same formula that worked the first time. SOJA didn’t fall into that trap, but instead built upon their solid roots foundation with some new sounds, including influences from their South American touring. I’ve listened to this CD non-stop for a week, including for 5 hours while my wife delivered our son last week (at her insistence), and I can tell you with certainty that this is a flat-out crucial disc.

Two tracks that came out several years ago on a SOJA sampler disc are updated here. “9-1-1″ is an upbeat tune with a message that’s not hard to deduce from the title, and “You Don’t Know Me” showcases some peppy keyboard work. Ras Bob- heavily influenced by artists such as Anthony B- is featured as a surprisingly good conscious chatter on the tracks “Be Aware” and “Faith Works.” “Sorry” is a special tune in the DC go-go style blended with reggae, and is already receiving some crossover radio play. Na fret, there’s stuff for the hardcore rootsman here too, because, after all, roots reggae remains this band’s strongest style. “Open My Eyes” has some ethereal guitar and a driving bass riddim, and opens the disc in fine style. “Bring Back Truth” (”what people want, you know, is just someone to bring back truth…that’s what I was born to do”) is a killer tune, made even better by some stellar horn work from Gomba Jahbari. “Strong For Them” is another rootical gem with fine Gomba Jahbari support. A song that kind of slipped by me on the first listen might just be the sleeper here- “Can’t Tell Me” sends a clear message to those who feel like judging the band with one of the better verses I’ve read in a while:

I like women and I love getting high

I like a house and a car just fine but

I love Jah and Creation too,

and I don’t really care if it’s all right with you.

I love my family even the bald heads,

and I love my friends even with no dreads

cuz we all get by and to ourselves be true-

and I don’t really care if it’s Rasta to you

SOJA is: Jacob Hemphill (vocals, guitar), Bob Jefferson (bass, vocals), Ken Brownell (percussion), Ryan Berty (drums) and mi bredren Patrick O’Shea (keyboards). They’re the real deal people. Go to www.sojamusic.com for this crucial disc.

January 15, 2006 02:21PM
i will be playing some soja on my show today
good good music

Post Edited (01-15-06 16:23)

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
January 15, 2006 05:17PM
<< I'm sure even Iyah Nazarite has some vice, maybe not any of the above listed ones, but everyone has some sort of vice. Peace.>>

...such as pride, slander, gossiping tongue, self-righteousness, vanity...and that's just from the couple of posts I've read...
January 15, 2006 05:21PM
let JAH be the Judge and Iah forgive u smiling smiley
wadada nazarite bobo shanti shanti
January 15, 2006 09:25PM
Then confess your imperfections to the most High, and transgress upon your fellow Jah children no more...and of course I too will reserve judgment for HIM.
Spliff Smoker
January 15, 2006 11:19PM
Why do many people on this forum think that the artists are supposed to be like priests?
Dubgroove
January 15, 2006 11:52PM
EEKAMOUSE is a priest...............

January 16, 2006 02:52AM
[www.hopetonlewis.com]

Mash it Up! - Upbeat, danceable reggae and straight-up, funky-assed funk.
We give money to the Alpha Boys School
[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 16, 2006 09:23AM
Selector I'm afraid I love Hopeton's 'secular' music better than his gospel efforts, tho his voice remains sweet & rich.
January 17, 2006 07:40AM
Bigg UP!!! to SOJA

I have been around the Biz for a good minute, I have back up quit a few "Reggae Superstars" All I will say don't believe the hype. I know for a fact, one superstar I wanted bust him in the head right in the middle of the show while I was playing keyboards, I was wrong for letting him get under my skin. But guess what I'm human. I don't care who you are respect people. I understand how some cats feel the way they do. When I saw my favorite vocal trio, I was upset, because I did not see the harmony among the group, and almost every song they sing is about unity.(mmmm) intresting. Thats when I learn for myself Jah uses people as vessels.
Bring forth the good words Unity & Love and world peace.
See the problem you don't make a man your GOD. We all walk on this planet together. One of the most humble person you ever want to meet is "Yellowman"
You can never judge a book by it's cover. All because some cats know all the catch phrases and know how to greet a Rastaman does not make you Rasta. Who are you to judge a man, who am I to judge a man. Im just a man. Reggae has gotten me thru hard times and it's still my medicine. Don't hate SOJA because they may not measure up to your standards. Atleast they are promoting reggae which is not the easy road traveled. Ask yourself this what have you done for reggae.
This is to the ones preaching hate, if you spit words hate then who are you,maybe you are drunk in the sense of ignorance.

Biggs(Just a Man)
January 17, 2006 08:30AM
Biggs Up!!
January 17, 2006 10:51AM
iyahnfess is due for tru unto JAH
OH JAH give IAH the strength to initate on first wake (slump of late)
OH JAH give IAH the stregth to review the day before sleeping (remembering every face I have seen to practice keeping the eyes holwa)
thanks for giving eye n eye the stamina
January 17, 2006 06:35PM
Everyone needs fi check dem Psalms 1
Dr Cool Breeze
January 18, 2006 04:43AM
Thanx everyone - i think i now understand/not
You yanks are not big on sarcasim
January 20, 2006 12:32PM
the new album is quite nice ... and the sound quality has greatly improved
January 24, 2006 07:20PM
Visit SOJA website to listen to the entire new album
[www.sojmusic.com]
Bless
January 24, 2006 07:40PM
I don't belive in opression.....or in minority rules..........I think anyone who does.....must be some kinda fool........we know it's wrong...........and I an I know that they won't last long........oh no not while we're around.........we can unite and mash them down.......mash them down to the ground..........Cause it's a wicked, wicked, wicked, wicked.....wicked situation.....right now in America........thing they call opression now........poor each man is downpressed I say.....we can't even find a way....so we can mash them down.....mash them down to the ground. Dick Cheney he wanna do it.............Tony Blair he wanna do it........Queen Elizabeth she wanna do it......Pope onna rope he wanna do it........George Bush he wanna do it.......so I an I all gonna do it............. mash them down to the ground..... Mystic Revealers w/ slightly modified lyrics from the King(smoker that is).......
Stop the hate..........spread the love........keep the peace......feel the vibes!!!
A famous hippy once said.....Judge not......lest ye be judged! Learn it....live it....know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
January 25, 2006 08:56AM
Author: Iah Nazarite Izuz (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: 01-15-06 17:21

let JAH be the Judge and Iah forgive u smiling smiley
wadada nazarite bobo shanti shanti

ooo... This is today's quote on my calendar...

"I tell you one thing -- if you want peace of mind, do not find fault with others.
-- Sri Sarada Devi

Peace
January 26, 2006 02:02PM
Soja comes to C-bus (AHA) in a month so I'll give them another chance to big up forgiveness in the healing process of inity. Hopfultree Iah did not offend any eyez personally by my original posts. Sometimes i have to return to the center to realize my strict livity is not and shouldn't be for everyone.
shanti ites
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login