Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When I tried logging into Gordy's new board

Posted by The man 
The man
When I tried logging into Gordy's new board
January 16, 2006 12:44PM
When I tried logging into Gordy's new board, my application was rejected because I would not give my date of birth. Nevertheless, I read what was written.

Accessing the site today, having been invited there by Fred C, Gordon and Ekki, I find myself unable to access any threads even to read them.

I think I prefer it here: no registering, open to all, easy to use. Just like the old B&F board really.

Reel
B.M.C.
Re: When I tried logging into Gordy's new board
January 16, 2006 01:19PM
Penny, there's no need for giving your real birth date, as long as it's one that makes you 18 or older (I think).
The man
January 16, 2006 01:21PM
BMC, I don't want to lie, but I also don't want to reveal my real date of birth. This is a reggae forum not a passport application.

Reel
January 16, 2006 01:21PM
Lets change the topic Mr Reel. I seen you like The Big Lebowski (its by Coen bros, right?). I was never fan of any of their film, I must admit.

I watched Lebowski few years ago and now I couldnt remember any single detail. OK, that may be due to my overselective or too impartial memory but anyway, Id like to know how do you rate Mike Leigh, a truly great British director whose Truths and Lies I found excellent.
B.M.C.
January 16, 2006 01:24PM
No need for giving you real date of birth, I think they only wanna know whether you're above 18.
B.M.C.
January 16, 2006 01:30PM
Oops, my browser got stuck, I typed it again and now it sent it two times. Anyway, if it goes against your principles that's your choice, I'd say as well, it's a reggae forum, a little lie on the date of birth can't be that bad, you're not hurting anyone with it, right?
Conscious Pilot
January 16, 2006 01:31PM
Hey Zok, I'm not the Man you're after, but I think The Big Lebowski is one of the best films made in the last ten years.
Just hilarious.
I have little trouble in repeat sittings for it....El duderinio abides man.
Last night I watched Fitzcarraldo by Werner Herzog...what a great movie too!
Pilot
MickH
January 16, 2006 01:34PM
I couln,y access it either Peter, having received an invitation from freddy C.
January 16, 2006 01:36PM
Zoki - have you seen Leigh's 'Life is sweet'?

Respect

Baldy

Mash it Up! - Upbeat, danceable reggae and straight-up, funky-assed funk.
We give money to the Alpha Boys School
[www.mashitup.org.uk]
The man
January 16, 2006 01:40PM
I saw another Coen Bothers film on television the other night, a very visually attractive and musically pleasing evocation of the American deep south in the early years of the 20th century. The film was called O Brother, Where Art Thou.

Reel
January 16, 2006 01:43PM
Fitzcarraldo by Werner Herzog....

Actually Hugh, I prefer much Fasbinder, I dont rate Herzog or Wim Wenders high.
January 16, 2006 01:47PM
Baldy, Ive obtained a couple of Leigh film on DVD (Vera Drake, Naked and Life Is Sweet) but havent watch them yet.
January 16, 2006 02:15PM
Wow! - 'Naked' and 'Life is sweet' could not be more different imo.

I prefer the beautifully observed humanity and humour of the latter of these by a country mile as 'Naked' is dark, dark, and yet more dark with no let-up at all.

I've not yet seen Vera Drake but would be interested to see what you think of it.

If you like 'Life is Sweet' too, you might also like his film 'Nuts in May'.

respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
January 16, 2006 02:30PM
btw - Penny, if you were ever so bored as to check my profile on Gordon's board, you'd see I am 105! (which is worryingly close to the truth)

Respect

Baldy

[www.mashitup.org.uk]
Conscious Pilot
January 16, 2006 03:20PM
Shame that Zoks, I think Herzog is a really interesting filmmaker.
I'm no real film buff and I've only seen a couple of his films, Fitzcarraldo and Kaspar Hauser (strangely beautiful, although very bizarre), but Fitzcarraldo is a great, great picture.
Have you seen it?
I've yet to see a film by Fassbinder, but maybe there might be a retrospective in a cinema near here sometime soon.
I like Mike Leigh's films, particularly, Naked and Secrets and Lies. He has a bit more variety than, say, Ken Loach, who sometimes bludgeons a bit with the social message, but who I still think is an excellent film-maker....last year's Ae fond kiss was great.
Have you ever seen Dead Man's Shoes by Shane Meadows? One of the best British films in years...came out in 04?
Penny, you ever seen the Hudsucker Proxy by the Coens.....a real feast that one!
Pilot
January 16, 2006 05:40PM
"Fitzcarraldo is a great, great picture."

So what? Its nice thing for the postcards or commercials.

As for the Kaspar Hauser, yes Ive seen it. Its based on the real story, German writer Peter Handke made a synopsis for that film, If Im not wrong.

Once I used to like Herzog, but his movies couldnt stand the test of time, imho. Today I can watch any Fasbinder film, but seems Herzog had nothing to say me anymore.

Btw, "test of time" is actually test of reality, of life.

No, I havent seen Dead Man's Shoes.
papa ray
January 16, 2006 06:10PM
Verily oh Penny Reel, 'tis good & proper you did see 'Oh Brother', a film
that did quite well & who's soundtrack gave the performers a totally new
expanded audience(Ralph Stanley, for all his multi-decade great presence
as a musician, connected to the public thru this film in ways he would have otherwise never achieved). Loved that movie.
Jackie Pablo
January 16, 2006 06:28PM
bedward
January 16, 2006 06:30PM
Pilot-
Get hold of the documentary of the making of Fitzcarraldo. Great interviews with hertzog and Kinski. My favourite from him is Aquerres Wrath of God....
quadruped
January 16, 2006 06:46PM
Zoki-
Get hold of the biography of Fassbinder "Love is Colder Than Death" by Robert Katz and Peter Berling. After reading about Fassbinder's chaotic lifestyle and prodigious consumption of alcohol and drugs, you will be amazed that he managed to get any films made at all. However I think that the posthumous mythologising of Fassbinder's life makes it difficult to appraise his work objectively.
Conscious Pilot
January 16, 2006 06:53PM
Yeah, I've seen that Bedders...incredible film to make!
Must try and pick up Aquerres.
Zok, when I say picture, I just mean film.....and of course, that's how opinions go. I've been meaning to see some Fassbinder, but not always so easy to see at the flicks...suppose I should investigate the DVDs.
Pilot
January 16, 2006 07:47PM
Well, I've just enrolled on Gordy's board without any fuss or bother. I'm perturbed by the absence of Karma though.

I didn't enjoy "Barton Fink"
January 16, 2006 08:16PM
Quadruped,

havent read that book but Ive got more than a dozen Fassbinders films in my collection (and he directed about 40 films in his short career), and yes, Ive heard long time ago about his 'communal' way of life, his homosexuality, drug and drink abuse etc... The artist's life is of no importance in judging and valuating his work, not only in this case but generally speaking. The point I tried to make to Hugh was that I watched paralelly Fasbinder and Herzog in the 80s, and nowadays I couldnt stand Herzog whilst Fassbinder is even greater than I originally thought he was...

For example, that Herzog movie Bedward just mentioned (Aquerres Wrath of God), Ive watched it quite recently, and sorry, it sucks... If i have to define it, Id say its rather a comic transponed into another genre, film in this case.

Hugh, I think Ive got some Fasbinder films with English subtitle, maybe I can forward it to you next time?
January 16, 2006 08:37PM
Top movie to check from the Coen brothers....."The Naked Man".
With Michael Rappaport. Hilarous and dark. Definately my favorite of theirs. And I've seen them all. Of course I do rate The Big Lebowski.
-Stevo
January 16, 2006 10:09PM
O Brother, Where Art Thou - now that's a great movie, have seen it both in German & English, and even the German version couldn't ruin it.

I liked Fitzcarraldo, but most of the German filmmakers of that generation are very pretenious and especially Wim Wenders sucks.
Big Time Star
January 16, 2006 10:51PM
Well I don't know shoot about movies but I have to say I did enjoy Paris, Texas, but then Harry Dean Stanton is a favourite of mine

bedward
January 16, 2006 11:29PM
Well Zoki-
I'll track down that film again and check it out. Maybe my memory of it and the context in which I saw it made it seem bigger thanit really is. I recall the lost conquestadors in a environment in which they could not survive being especially potent in post-colonial Africa. ANyway you've got me headign for F.
January 17, 2006 12:07AM
Whole concept of Aquerres character was arbitrary, unfounded and made of sheer paper, Beddy. Esp. his passionate love for his own daughter, i.e. the incest as the motivation of this rather pitoresque crusade.
bedward
January 17, 2006 01:58AM
I'm not sure you watched the same film Zoki

I suggest that the following powerful ideas are what make the film worth seeing:
Whilst Aquirre has lost his power, meaning for continuing and his sanity yet he is still alive AND has learned nothing from his experience....this leads to a number of different conclusions on human nature.

I disagree with your reading of the film and your focus on his character.
January 17, 2006 01:07PM
"...most of the German filmmakers of that generation are very pretenious and especially Wim Wenders sucks", says Joe Meek.

You certainly can't apply that to Volker Schlendorf, truly great director, who showed, among other things, that it is possible to make great movies taking great literature as a script.
The man
January 18, 2006 11:57PM
I tried logging on to Gordon's website again today, mainly because I wanted to see Daisy's pussy.

The site accepted all my details and said it would send me an activation key, which it duly did. However, when I typed the application number in I was still denied entrance and a message came up saying the number was "invalid".

Observer
Overtaker
January 19, 2006 12:11AM
I guess you're an invalid observer.
You posted this already today and it was deleted.
So what's the use for doing it again?
Please stop this ****!
Fangsome Beauty
January 19, 2006 05:35PM
Nowt to do wiv me, breddah Ekki!

(if that's what you were alluding to - or were you scolding the real Reel for real that time?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login