Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trip to JA - can I still get music there?

Posted by angel gabriel 
Trip to JA - can I still get music there?
January 19, 2006 01:17PM
Ok..i have decided to take a trip to JA sometime in the next 3 to 4 months..just a vacation..I have never gone and my friends and family think it would be a natural place for me to go since I love roots reggae..my question to you lot is - is it still possible to find old 45s or records in JA?..or has it been picked clean by collectors etc..

any suggestions?..any recommendations?..Note..I am mostly going to find records..they dont have to be classic or rare..just stuff that I don't have..and I dont have a lot..well, at least compared to Jah Reel..but i am not a novice either..so..take that into consideration

thanks all

jah guide

Gabriel
Re: Trip to JA - can I still get music there?
January 19, 2006 01:37PM
I would make a visit to Aquarius on 9 Constyant Spring Road in Kingston:

"These days, various members of the Chin-Loy dynasty continue to run the Aquarius record stores in both Half way Tree and Miami yet sadly only the occasional outing surfaces."

The last time I was there they had a lot of old vinyl albums hanging on the wall but many may have been re-issues.

They also had big piles of 45's laying around but I think it was mostly stuff only a few years old.

Anyway, if your in Kingston its a good place to visit as there is quite a history to that shop and if you go on a Friday afternoon you will be able to witness many of the local selectors buying their 45's for the weekend bashments.
jb welda
January 19, 2006 04:23PM
if all youre going for is records i would recommend ernie b.

one love
jah bill
January 19, 2006 07:09PM
yeah..jah bill..i guess i have visions of finding a stash of old 45s..but..i am sure that country has been picked over well..by collectors..

g
January 19, 2006 07:56PM

Go check Dynamic Records on Bell Road .. still lots of Gems in there, just ask nicely to see behind the desk !
January 20, 2006 01:14AM
just don't be a dumbass, keep your wits and if in trouble..run back to the room and contact hotel securtity.

Only thing I can recommend
Goatfoat
mashdown45
January 20, 2006 01:16AM
"just don't be a dumbass"

great advice
they should quote you in the tourist guides
January 20, 2006 06:58AM
Yeah..I usually try not to be a dumbass..it has worked for me thus far (i am 42)..

Thanks everyone for your comments..I will stil go to JA but I will forget about findind a treasure of old 45s..

jah guide

gabriel
jb welda
January 20, 2006 09:00AM
but you never know gabriel...you will have fun with or without the records i bet.

one love
jah bill
January 20, 2006 09:52AM
Hey Gabriel, where are you planning on going in Jamaica, do you have it all planned out already?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login