Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chicago-Afrobeat-Project

Posted by papa ray 
papa ray
Chicago-Afrobeat-Project
January 21, 2006 07:29PM
Spent a well-enjoyable nite last eve checking these players, vibing the room big-time to some well well played afrobeat grooves. I came in curiosity, not expecting anything, but this 9-piece band laid it OUT. They packed the room too,
over 250 at least in the St Louis club off-Broadway. Highly recommended,
I actually enjoyed their set more than I did Femi's(!) @ SNWMF----and I happen to like Afrobeat. Wicked 4-man horn section, a guitarist that knew what to do(and
tastefully calibrated Santana-esque solos over the grooves, when he wasn't holding down those patterns for guitar so essential in this style), two percussionists & a hip restrained keyboardist----very impressive, must say.

While standing in the balcony tho, after looking at the jamband-hippies in abundance(bless their hearts), I said to my friend, 'If I tossed a hacky-sack
over the rail into this crowd, some kickin' sh** would break out on de dance-floor
fe true'.....
Re: Chicago-Afrobeat-Project
January 22, 2006 06:59AM
wow, I'll have to hunt them down here once they get back in town...

[chicagoafrobeatproject.com]
AJ
January 23, 2006 02:51PM
Yes it was a nice set of homegrown Afrobeat Friday night. Bring it on anytime here in St.Louis , we do not get enough African music here. Last time we had Afrobeat here was FELA back in 199? That was nice with Jimmy Cliff on the same bill.
papa ray
January 24, 2006 03:33AM
And Fela played the Westport Stage also AJ, before the set you mentioned.
Nice seeing that band(25) and the wives(8, I think) on a revolving stage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login