Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Music Genome

Posted by Acacia 
Acacia
Music Genome
January 24, 2006 08:31PM
Check [pandora.com]

This site is the product of the Music Genome Project in which a group of people has spent years listening to music and cataloguing artists and songs by specific musical components which they call genes. The headline on the site is "Can You Help Me Find More Music That I'll Like?" The system they've created for the site is automated; you type in an artist or particular song and the computer identifies its "genes" or musical characteristics and begins playing other songs and artists that are similar in that they have the same identified components as the song or artist you've chosen. It plays complete songs and seems to go on forever playing track after track. It's completely free, though they do make you register with an email address and password, and it is supported by advertising. They offer an option to sign up for a reasonable fee to bypass the ads if you want to. This is all licensed and legal; you are not able to download the songs or choose exactly what they play, but they have a lot of great music. Their reggae collection is pretty extensive, and it's an ongoing project, so they're always adding new songs and artists. If you check this out, I'm sure you'll be hooked. There was an article about the Music Genome Project in the East Bay Express a week or 2 ago: [www.eastbayexpress.com] You can read all about it yourself. Cool!! winking smiley

Re: Music Genome
January 24, 2006 08:41PM
kewl

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
Acacia
January 24, 2006 09:03PM
Isn't it? Currently playing "True Believer" by Roots Radics.
Acacia
January 25, 2006 05:49PM
Did anyone try this out?
January 25, 2006 06:07PM
It took ten different times ( Iguess I listen to too many Indies) to find a song/band good site though winking smiley
Acacia
January 25, 2006 07:00PM
Well the purpose of the site is to play other music that you might like, based on the artist or song you put in. No, it will not play exactly what you enter, that just isn't what it does. Lots of good music there though.
January 25, 2006 09:39PM
Took me about 6 times before it found something and it wasn't what I expected so far. When I typed in Bob Marley it came up with one of his old compilations of material from the 60s ska and rocksteady period. All the stuff linked to it was anthology stuff from the Trojan label like Slim Smith, Dennis Alcapone, Max Romeo, etc.

fourtwentyplenty
January 26, 2006 07:32AM
Acacia, thanks for the site info. Good for playing music while on the computer at work. Warrior King as a station gave good results playing songs off his two albums plus Spear, Dillinger, Roots Radics. With Israel Vibration the second song after a couple of Izzy Vibes was a Jackson Browne song and then classic reggae from the seventies. Noticed it tended to repeat different songs from previously played albums, so probably limited number of reggae albums used in the database. Will be interested to try other genres.
Acacia
January 26, 2006 05:58PM
Oh I see what you were saying Al. It's true, it doesn't have everything. Like I said, they are adding more to it and I think there's a way to submit artists to them. Not sure about that though, but there is info on the site about everything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login