Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bunny Wailer for 2006

Posted by flip1 
flip1
Bunny Wailer for 2006
January 26, 2006 10:23PM
Any chance of Bunny Wailers at snwmf 06?

i thought in the past cost was a major issue (i'm sure there are others)
Curious as to wether Bunny would cost as much as say .....Schwaggy.

With the issues from last year and the new venue maybe this would be a great way to bring some people thru the gates. I don't know if JR Gong is too large now with the Welcome to Jamrock success but maybe a marley/wailers component would be a nice.

Not a huge fan of jr gong especially if you could get other artists for less money but just a thought.

we might have to pay extra to have Bunny put a microphone in his pants though
papa ray
Re: Bunny Wailer for 2006
January 27, 2006 03:58AM
This may be a minority opinion, but from what I've witnessed
(and heard) Mr. Livingstone is well-past his prime, and does not look to be an artist with the power to re-new/re-invent his music & powers---in other words, he ain't no Miles Davis, boys and girls. Before anyone takes me to task for what I just said,
try to divorce from the understandable sentiment many lovers of reggae have
for Bunny's achievements in the past , as well as his rightful place as a Foundation
musical figure, and just deal w/ where his thread has played out to this day.
Not to rain on the parade, but that's my 2 cents worth.
January 27, 2006 04:58AM
i thought bunny did prety good @ rortr 04
but then again that was the first time i had ever seen him perform- cant really compare what he is to what he was. he did rock the house till 2 somthing in the morning. i like that he played the old wailers tunes like-simmer down- i remember that nite like it was yesterday.
one love-juan love
old man
January 27, 2006 05:06AM
In my earlier post, I was big up for Bunny Wailer. Now more than ever-- Reggae legends aren't forever (People, please understand this!!)-- Bunny Wailer, YES!!!!(I apologize all the !!!s). Keep the faith. Rosa Parks forever.
papa ray
January 27, 2006 05:48AM
OM, we know nothing and no one lasts forever, and always, it is Proper to give homage and respect when it's due, but I actually think there's nuff guys from Bunny's generation who don't coast when I check them & haven't seen their vocal powers diminish, which is the case w/ BW.

So, Old Man, I will speak to you as another Old Man. Remember Roy Acuff?? I can remember him from early youth on, and back then he was already an Elder in country music. There's a similarity between Bunny & Acuff, both having moved mountains and become iconic in their respective musics, almost The Head Priests, so to speak. Acuff didn't have a single hit in country music in his last 35 years, he quit doing new material---musically he coasted, but his presence on the Opry made him the Judge Dread of Nashville. I think Bunny has also coasted. They also shared the trait of not being above acting as if they were the ultimate authority in their art. They shared the tendency to vanity.

Yet, the records of BW that I enjoy and admire are records I love deep. At one time (early 80s), given the choice of seeing Bunny & Tosh I'd have jumped over Bush Doctor to check Livingstone. And don't even ask if I was playing Tosh's then-current output as hard as something Bunny had come w/. Played his records down to the groove, I played them so much, then I'd buy new copies & play them. So don't think I don't give Bunny his due, but when I think of sets I'd like to check, sorry to say, Bunny Wailer just don't pop into my mind any more.
January 27, 2006 07:07AM
Have seen Bunny four times between 92 and 98, he was top notch for those performances. Since it's been about eight years since the last concert. I only assume Papa Ray is talking about a recent decline in performance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
January 27, 2006 08:12AM
the man has a very powerful presence, but it is a presence as a human being, not as a performer. Huge up one of the true originators in the genre we love to call REGGAE MUSIC!

Thank you for all your contributions Mr. Livingston--- selah
January 27, 2006 03:56PM
Well I, for one, would love to see a SNWMF showcase of the artists featured on the latest Solomonic release where bunny basically 'passed the torch' to the younger generation....
jb welda
January 27, 2006 05:05PM
i saw bunny wailers at rotr too and i was impressed, quite a lot actually. that was after seeing him some half dozen times with various degrees of satisfaction. so i would be all for him at the show; only problem is, from what i hear, his price makes the price for shaggy look like pocket change. and you can rent a whole lot of talent for the price of bunny wailers set.

one love
jah bill
January 27, 2006 06:46PM
papa ray, bless, SHOCKING! ...but sobering what ya seh bout the Solomonic one... most of the recordings I have heard from Bunny that are the recent ones sound veeeery weak, no where near the early works dat put him "up deh"...

I agree with ya Daniel, about the passin of the torch, so ta seh... and hav been waiting to see dat cd back up on ebreggae "Bunny Wailers Reggae Family" or sumthin like dat... but dunno what happen to it... anybuddy get dat one?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 27, 2006 07:12PM
Here's an article from the Observer regarding the Tek Set albums

[www.jamaicaobserver.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login