Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Don Carlos last Night

Posted by Ras James 
Don Carlos last Night
January 28, 2006 12:16PM
Massive show, sold out crowd. this marks the 3rd time I've seen Ashkenaz packed for a reggae show, the other 2 times were another Don show over 2 years back and Andrew Tosh's last show there.

Show started off with Razorblade, who put on a nice show. Seemed to be playing mostly covers, but did a nice show. Would gladly see him live again. Crowd demanded an encore, so he came up and did his thing a bit more, and Sister I-Live's daughter who's name I know i'm not gonna be able to spell right came up and did a nice job on one tune.

Between the two, there was a performance by Wadi Gad. He brought up Horsemouth on drums, and did I think 3 or 4 tunes. Crowd was liking that

Don came on around midnight, playing crucial tunes, talking about how much he loves berkeley, and giving his cd's away to young children in the audience. He took a nice amount of requests. He seemed to really switch up his set from other times 've seen him. For one thing, he dind't play Passing Glance. Unfortunently, it was a passing glance of Don, cause the show had to end around 2. Can't wait till Don's next show there.

Lot of people were there, ran into Juan Love and Acacia, was told Fourtwentyplenty was in the house but didn't see him. Not to mention all the musicians in the house too, among others saw Winston Jarrett, Horsemouth, Luna Angel, Blaak Lung, and a lot more. This was definitly one of the nicer Ashkenaz show's i've seen.

p.s., the infamous "hippy dancer" from my last Ashkenaz experience wasn't there smiling smiley

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
Re: Don Carlos last Night
January 28, 2006 12:55PM
What a night it was!
January 28, 2006 01:55PM
big - big roots tunes by mr.don carlos-last 2 or 3 songs bh tunes-stricyly niceness!!!
nice to see acacia & james out ejoying the vibes!
acacia- hope you like the cd.
james- hope this one works better.
one love-juan love
January 28, 2006 02:31PM
Big ups to DON CARLOS. Great show he always puts on. Thank you Ashkenaz and the Berkeley crowd. Great dose of roots. Guess who's coming to Berkeley Natty Dread. Winston and Groundation @ the Ashz with URoy in between in S.F. Best music during winter months since the Maritime Hall Days. Give thanks and praise
January 28, 2006 02:37PM
Juanlove, been bumping this mix since I woke up, nice job fixing it up.

Only downside to the show: some idiot after the show grabbing my locks and calling me a fashon dread for not giving him anything to smoke. My peaceful nature overpowered my desire to punch the guy out right there, but the thought definitly crossed my mind. I'm convinced some people are just too stupid to go out in public, cause for the most part the crowd was great vibes. Peace

January 29, 2006 04:13PM
Epic show!!!! Electric vibez!!!! Yes I was in the house, but spent most of my time backstage until Wadi came out. At that point the place was so packed that I made it to the side of the merch table and didn't go any further the rest of the night. Saw a few boardies in the crowd. Of course my bredren Christopher. Caught a passing glace of the beauty known as Acacia. You're shorter than I thought. Didn't see you either James, but knew you'd be there. Hung out with poppatop most of the show. I was looking forward to linking with the man Binghi Ghost, but was thwarted by a packed house.

Have to give massive respect to Wadi Gad and Don Carlos for biggin up the Young Tree family. Also to Horsey for sitting in on a tune for Wadi. Horsemouth had just come in from Jamaica.

fourtwentyplenty
January 30, 2006 11:47AM
Epic show, like FTP said! Only downside to the show: some idiot after the show
grabbing my buttocks and calling me a fashon dread although Im completelly bald.
January 30, 2006 11:55AM
rumour has it zoki was removed from the venue early on due to an unfortunent hippy-dancing incident

January 30, 2006 11:58AM
Thats just rumours...Solid Rock should be blamed for all (and his Hawain T-shirts).
January 30, 2006 12:02PM
norcal was in the house with Dennis Downum, but they both left after finding out a good portion of the crowd were white rastas and dopeheads from marin. smiling smiley

Post Edited (01-30-06 12:02)

January 30, 2006 12:43PM
Hey 420plenty, it was nice seeing you for a minute on friday.. yes, massive show and all so crowded.. too much drama with Hawaiin hottie (jumped on stage with Don at the end of the show) in the backroom, was ready to get stomped by some rasta who tours HI, major controversy in the back room.. more drama, a roadie of Don Carlos band told Razorblade and his band to leave the back room right after they got done playing..
reggaefan
January 30, 2006 12:59PM
January 30, 2006 01:05PM
what was with that one girl running up on stage? was that planned or was it a crazy-fan incident? Peace

January 30, 2006 01:14PM
nice ongoing commentary on this gig.
don c run tings,
January 30, 2006 01:15PM
That Hawaiian girl running on stage was NOT planned and she is a friend of Don's but was drunk and just jumped on stage.. nothing ruffels Don's feathers and he just rolled with it.. but as I said, that girl was in the back and almost got her butt kicked because of what she was saying to somebody and then decides to jump out and on stage right after that..
January 30, 2006 01:59PM
drunks are not always the smartest people....

But Don is a professional and a really good person, he did a good job of rolling with that. Pretty hard to find any artist in the scene as nice and easy to deal with as Don. Peace

January 30, 2006 03:11PM
what a good thread..thanks ras james et al.

i have always liked don's voice and music.
i have only seen him once many many years ago, in cleveland.
i think it was about the time that 'just a passing glance' was it.
don used to come out 'east' more back then, was it 1986 or so???

anyway i did get to exchange some words w/don, just a heartfelt compliment
about 'glance' thats about it though.

i have only about 3 of carlos' albums.

respescx, one love one peace, roots-ee
January 30, 2006 03:16PM
That Hawaiian girl running on stage was NOT girl at all... That was Solid Rock.
reggaefan
January 30, 2006 03:44PM
"Only downside to the show: some idiot after the show grabbing my locks and calling me a fashon dread for not giving him anything to smoke. My peaceful nature overpowered my desire to punch the guy out right there"

Oh man, as much as I don't like the idea of having to sock someone - I mighta lost it on this one.

Even Zoki grabbing my ass woulda been less offensive than yanking I locks. I think. For sure it wouldn't have hurt as much.

January 30, 2006 03:54PM
basically that guy got lucky on a mix of it being the end of the night and me being in a very good mood after that performance. That's something that's never happened to me before. Well, there's been people who have grabbed my locks before at shows out of curiousity or whatever (usually women), but never been in a situation where some random dude just grabs my locks. The other times can be annoying, but I don't really consider those an insult, just people being stupid. But that dude's actions were straight up disrespectful. Of course, if I had punched the guy, I probably would have been surrounded by 20 of his friends lecturing me about not distorting their positive reality with my negative reality or some acid-tripper junk like that. Peace

January 30, 2006 03:58PM
Surprised the guy could get his hands around those thick ass locks of yours Jamessmiling smiley... Thank Jah for your peasful nature.
pale ryder
January 30, 2006 04:05PM
Sounds like that guy was an infamous JOKER SMOKER!!
Smoking is a habit, some man can't maintain it...
When you're out on the corner, them a beg ya sensimelia...
What a joke, you don't even smoke....
January 30, 2006 04:05PM
On second thought now that I think about it, that guy might have been Norcaljahman committing a hate crime smiling smiley

reggaefan
January 30, 2006 04:11PM
Hear ya Ras James - but gosh, sounds like missed out on making a friend, this nut job sounds like a guy you really want to share a spliff with.
January 30, 2006 04:16PM
Are you sure it was not a bird trying to nest?
January 30, 2006 04:26PM
true reggaefan, because of that night I probably won't be invited to any rainbow gatherings soon.

January 30, 2006 04:41PM
Ras James mentioned "acid-tripper junk"...

"Tripper" in Serbian means gonorrhea.
January 30, 2006 05:56PM
there where a few drunk idiots in the place. a couple of my friends left becuase some drunk fool kept running into them. a little stange i didnt encounter any drunkerds last sat.-im usually a magnet for these types running into me all nite.
one love-juan love
jb welda
January 30, 2006 06:12PM
thats kind of strange for a place like the ashkenez but i guess it does happen.

i saw joe higgs there one night where there was a contingent of frat boys (drunk or not) and one of them kept yelling out "rude boy" at joe higgs. after about a thousand "rude boy"s, joe took the mike and called the guy out saying "you dont even know what a rude boy is and if i was in jamaica right now i would show you".

well that pretty much stopped the doofus in his tracks and needless to say, it was the last "rude boy" he yelled that night.

one love
jah bill
January 30, 2006 06:31PM
those types of things are bound to happen at any show with a big crowd.

At that last ashkenaz show I went too (the one detailed in the "hippy dancing" post a few months back) some other guy was yelling Rudeboy at the stage too, this time yelling it at Hurricane and Majestic during the couple of tunes they played. Might have been the same guy you saw Jah Bill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login