Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bent Dowe RIP

Posted by Ras_Adam_Simeon 
Bent Dowe RIP
January 29, 2006 06:37AM
Bent Dowe RIP

Jeff Sarge announced this morning that Brent Dowe of the Melodians passed away from a heart attack yesterday in Jamaica. Our Thoughts are with his family and friends.

[www.reggaetrain.com]

Down Here In Babylon

Rivers of Babylon
(Brent Dowe & Trevor McNaughton)

By the rivers of Babylon, where he sat down,
and there he wept when he remembered Zion.
Oh, the wicked carry us away captivity,
require from us a song,
How can we sing King Alpha's song in a strange land?
Re: Bent Dowe RIP
January 29, 2006 07:24AM
may you find your rest in Hola Zion brother-
Give thanks for the great music that you left us with
Sorry For Typo BRENT DOWE
January 29, 2006 07:38AM
Sir Lord Irie
January 29, 2006 08:17AM
May the great man rest in peace
January 29, 2006 10:52AM
Link please, I don't see any mention of this in the JA papers...

January 29, 2006 11:03AM
I don't have a link but it was also reported to me this morning by a reggae writer who lives in Sweden. He said the Melodians had recently regrouped making this even sadder news for reggae.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
January 29, 2006 12:40PM
RIP mr dowe,
condolences to your family and friends,
thank you for the music over the years,

one love one peace,
roots-ee

[thearkband.com]
January 29, 2006 10:35PM
found this in the gleaner
Michael

BRENT DOWE, lead singer of one of the harmony trio The Melodians, which also includes Tony Brevette and Trevor McNaughton, died suddenly of an apparent heart attack shortly before daybreak yesterday.

Reports are that Dowe, who appeared to be in good health, fell ill at his Hughenden, St. Andrew, home yesterday.

One of the most memorable of many hits which he sang lead on was Rivers of Babylon, the adaptation of a Psalm which was included on the soundtrack of the 1972 film Harder They Come.

Dowe also sang lead on the songs Little Nut Tree, Swing And Dine and You Have Caught Me.

Among his more recent performances in Jamaica was at last July's Red Stripe Reggae Sumfest in Montego Bay, St. James
January 30, 2006 12:32PM
I am very sad of this news. And we wept when we remember Brent Dowe.
riffy
January 31, 2006 01:17AM
His departure is saddening, but I am happy to know he's basking in Jah's glory and feeling peace and comfort. BIG UP! for all of the memories.

Maximum Respect & Love,

Riffy
Yabby You fan
January 31, 2006 03:17AM
May he rest in peace.

I was just looking at Lee Perry comp's last week on ebreggae.com, looking for one with Brent's "Down Here in Babylon" song from the Black Ark, since it's about the last Black Ark song I do not have on CD...that's sad to hear, but he's now in a better place.

Yabby You fan

February 01, 2006 12:01PM
I tried to tell y'all not to miss the Melodians when they were out here in November. It turns out that it was a once in a lifetime experience. Maybe 80 people showed up.

Most of these older Jamaican artists can still really perform. You should support them when they come to your area.
February 01, 2006 01:43PM
Thanks for the condescending suggestion, Mike.

February 01, 2006 02:12PM
My post was not meant to be condescending or offensive Chimino. (Unlike yours)

It truly hurt me to see these old, ill guys out there struggling on the road with harmonizing talents that the Beatles might envy, playing to an empty room and giving their all.
February 01, 2006 02:18PM
Thank Jah I got to see them in Oceanside at Reggae by the Pier in 2004 -- never forget that one -- great performance, great band (Wadi Gad).

Peace,
-RV
February 01, 2006 02:20PM
May he rest in peace.

"Maybe 80 people showed up."

Truly was unfortunate Mike and I sympathize with your feelings. Same thing happened to Winston Jarrett and Wadi Gad a couple Sundays ago at The Last Day in Santa Rosa. Couldn't have been more than 20 of us there. Lots of things were wrong that contributed to it, most importantly no promotion. Don't blame Chimino though, he's just "keepin it real."

"Most of these older Jamaican artists can still really perform. You should support them when they come to your area."

Absolutely agree and have been saying the same thing. It's unfortunate that the unconditional fan is a rare breed.

fourtwentyplenty
February 01, 2006 10:23PM
Nick just put on a very nice D Brown/B Dowe tribute. Did you catch that juanlove? I am certainly sorry I missed them last time around...
February 02, 2006 12:17AM
Thanks for the 'sympathy' fourtwentyplenty though I don't need it. Instead why not send a note to Brent's family at

41 Orchard Avenue
(Hughenden)
Kingston 20 Jamaica WI
February 02, 2006 01:42PM
So sad to hear but happy to know that the great Reggae Mansion in Zion will be welcoming home Brent Dowe. Melodians, singing the Kings Melody in one Harmony.Thoughts and prayers go out to his Family and Friends. One Love..Dj Ibi Judah.. Jahlightmusic
solid rock
February 03, 2006 09:33AM

thanks John

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login