Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

REGGAE IN ST. LOUIS???

Posted by one heart 
REGGAE IN ST. LOUIS???
January 29, 2006 02:06PM
Greetings All....

I'm not around here much but do check in every once in awhile to see what's goin' on with my reggae family all over this crazy country. That being said, I'm not on here enough to know who lives where etc., etc. I would, however, like to send out a request for some info. I'm currently looking at grad schools all over the country. St. Louis has a program I love, but I'd like to learn more about the city itself from people who are currently living there or have lived there in the past. I, of course, am particularly interested in the reggae runnins, but any insight anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I want to hear any and everything! Many thanks in advance!!!!

peace and much love
Re: REGGAE IN ST. LOUIS???
January 29, 2006 03:10PM
i don't know the scene too well nowadays.
the ark band used to play at CLUB VIVA on wednesdays,
and an isoltaed gig here and there.

have lost touch with the runnins more or less,

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
January 29, 2006 04:07PM
I'd Check with Papa Ray on this board. It wouldn't be surprising to be hearing from him soon once he sees this thread

papa ray
January 29, 2006 05:21PM
The main thing(IMO) that would help the scene in the Louie would be the
influx of about 200,000 people of Carribean background! Seriously, the
support & turn-out for shows here were much larger in the early/mid 80s.
I'm not saying you won't get shows, but it is a sometimes thing.(the last three years have seen a good cross-section of working jamaican acts coming thru---Justin Hinds(RIP), Itals, Mikey Dread, Steel Pulse,Sly & Robbie,Capleton, etc---)

There are some decent club DJs in town, Club Viva still runs, an excellent restaurant named Carribean Sun has entertainment on week-ends, and by all accounts there's an excellent record store in the area that carries good selection....

Radio station KDHX devotes at least 8 hours a week of high quality reggae programming, from Ska to Roots and contemporary. Professor Skank not only DJs his slot w/ Michael Kuelker( who also edited the excellent 'Book Of Memory'
by Rasta Elder Prince Williams), but also has released nationally two collections
of (mainly) V.I. reggae artists on his own imprint. This last summer a fine all-day free reggae festival was held in downtown St Louis, w/ Luciano headlining. There are some regional reggae bands(Murder City Players a 20 year institution with quite a fine sound) working around town. Reggae historian Leroy Pierson(co-author of the recent Marley discography) is a native musician
and has forgot more about reggae than I know. Finally, Chicago is 275 miles north, good for a week-end getaway if the name act makes it there. BUT, 200,000 new West indian faces living here would I know would make the runnins' more crucial, if yuh get my drift....

Hope that helps. St Louis will not have as much as some cities, but I'm sure more than, oh, say Green Bay or Pittsburgh.
one heart
January 30, 2006 10:11AM
Give thanks..... This helps a lot. I really appreciate everyone's input. Just as long as I'm not gonna dry up and wither away without reggae, I think I can make it!
matt
January 30, 2006 04:18PM
also, midnite stops there most every tour for the last three years, and presumably other v.i. artists as well.
papa ray
January 30, 2006 06:20PM
Currently Midnite rules in the Roots community here.

I also see Matis is booked at the prestigious Pageant venue in March. He
played here last summer...
one heart
January 31, 2006 11:49AM
More good news! I'm very glad to know that Midnite passes through St. Louis. Regardless of what anyone else says, I've been listning to them for 10 years and I still love them dearly. Papa Ray--will you adopt me if I move to St. Louis??? I'm gonna be getting my butt kicked in grad school and I will definitely be in need of frequent reggae therapy! Thanks again for everyone's help.

peace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login