Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ernie B's reggae & Midnite

Posted by baldhed 
baldhed
Ernie B's reggae & Midnite
January 30, 2006 02:07AM
why is it that every Midnite release is automatically tagged "Essential Pick" by ebreggae.com ????
lets be real here...
Re: Ernie B's reggae & Midnite
January 30, 2006 03:23AM
maybe Ernie happens to be a big midnite fan.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
January 30, 2006 03:37AM
you know..i have noticed that as well..however, while I am a little suspicious of Midnite (for no logical reason aside from the fact that they are not from yard), if Ernie recommends then I would seriously consider it..he is pretty consistent..and maybe a bit harsh in his assessments..put differently, if Ernie likes it..it is probably pretty good..

gabriel
January 30, 2006 04:39AM
It's not just Ernie who decides what's essential.

fourtwentyplenty
January 30, 2006 11:30PM
>personaly i* tink u have to be pretty obsessed with this '2 member band' to listion to dem on regular basis. although the lyrics have sum high points the muzick remains consistantly boring & hard to dance to(more of a head bob). hanging all together by the keyboards thread it is worth a few plays & a must to atleast check out but not an essential pick unless your in a place full of obsessed midnite groupies hungrey for dem veggie helping*
-RASpects+
matt
January 30, 2006 11:37PM
sounds like someone who probably loved them untill they "betrayed" him. get over it already. if they're not crucial to you then don't listen. quit crying for gods sake.
January 30, 2006 11:47PM
>does the consul general have any more golden statments to add.
-RASpects+
matt
January 31, 2006 12:11AM
gotcha
January 31, 2006 12:19AM
>nah mon i* was talking to the baldhead dread i*ya. . .
>gotcha is a funny 80's (surf-clothing,hit movie, paint balls*) term that has formed a cult like vibe in blooping for all u rooters*
>he he
-RASpects+
January 31, 2006 12:25PM
It's an obsession, but at least it's pleasing....

ic (allways hungry for veggie helpings, dem)

">personaly i* tink u have to be pretty obsessed with this '2 member band' to listion to dem on regular basis."
matt
January 31, 2006 01:31PM
jahmeek, you are completely transparent.
raspect yo you and your opinion though.
BG
January 31, 2006 05:22PM
YOU ALL LOVE MIDNITE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH.
YOU LOVE THEM, YOU LIVE THEM, AND YOU BREATHE BECAUSE OF THEM, ESPECIALLY YOU JAHMEEK. HOW'S THAT ALTER LIVICATED TO THEIR NAME THAT YOU WERE BUILDING COMING ALONG???? HMMM?

DWL!!!
January 31, 2006 05:58PM
all is InI, even jahmeek, even bg, even ic

praise jah, bless idren, live love
Stevo
January 31, 2006 06:45PM
Well, I'd have to cheat to be able to name even 1 Midnite tune. To busy rinsing all the killer's taking up space in my room.
February 01, 2006 05:27AM
Anyone have thoughts on the albums Ras Mek Peace or Unpolished?
February 01, 2006 06:00AM
ras mek peace-ainshant maps-and nemozian rasta are the only ones i like or will listen to.all the rest sound the same to me.
i perfer to listen to dezarie and ikahba rather than midnite any day.
not really into the hole stx sceen. seems like every day there is a new stx artist that sounds exactly like all the rest of the stx artist-that came out the day before.
dont get me wrong-i dont hate midnite or the other stx music-it just all sounds the same. nuff original ja roots for me to catch up on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
one love-juan love

February 03, 2006 08:45AM
how bout some Roots from Hawaii OOKLAH THE MOC. I saw them on the E.B. new releases list.
baldhed
February 03, 2006 06:38PM
i would bet that Ernie tags their CDs "essential" before even listening to them...
BG
February 03, 2006 06:51PM
Why would there be an Ernie B. conspiracy to try to "HELP PROMOTE A GREAT BAND" like midnite by placing 'essential stickers' on every album cover, and only do it for midnite, when he distributes reggae as a whole and on the worldwide level??? Ernie was just in Jamaica scouting new releases, not st. croix. Maybe he really thinks it is essential for any reggae lovers collection.

Funny that you find that it bothersome, baldhead.
February 03, 2006 06:58PM
I've spoken with Ernie a couple times about how he determines essential picks and it's not just him. The only thing he and the others may be guilty of is having different tastes than others.

fourtwentyplenty
February 03, 2006 07:08PM
My guess would be that, Midnite having had 10 of his best selling albums for 2004 might have something to do with his calling them 'essential'. Then again, maybe his calling them essential is why Midnite has so many bst-selling albums. ....
BG
February 03, 2006 07:28PM
Ernie B being such a great supporter of Midnite is crucial of course, but do you think Midnite wouldnt have had 10 top selling albums if Ernie B. in fact hated them?
jb welda
February 03, 2006 07:30PM
ernie rarely lets his own prejudices get in the way of selling a lot of a particular title or artist.

he is probably getting payola, fresh coconut milk or something.

(thats a joke, ernie...)

one love
jah bill
February 03, 2006 07:48PM
Is it just me or does it seem like Midnite puts out TOO many albums, I mean didn't they simultaneously release 2 new ones recently. It seems they go for quantity instead of quality. Most of the songs sound the same with that kind of output.

All of them sound the same and are pretty boring to me to be honest. While I support the St Croix scene as I like many artists, I am tired of Midnite and their monotonous sound.

At SNWMF a year or so ago, my friends decided not to catch the Midnite set and elected to stay at the campground behind the main stage. When the set was over and I saw them again, they noted it was funny to hear only the drum and bass since they couldn't catch the vocals from behind the stage.....their main point was that it sounded like the same exact riddim, beat and cadence the entire set.

The last one that I got was "Let Live" and I thought it was horrible and has probably turned me from getting any more in the future.

One love
eric v
jb welda
February 03, 2006 07:53PM
we agree on this one eric. but i have to say that set by midnite on the main stage was pretty darn good, better than i expected. but yeah, they do seem to play the same song every song and it seems to have gotten more so with this latest incarnation of the band. when the "original" midnite backed blaak lung at dreadstock i thought they sounded a lot more lively than what the current midnite "sound" is like.

one love
jah bill
joseph
February 03, 2006 08:04PM
maybe midnite is good and he likes them..? i like their music and have most of their albums, the new current, itinualjah and jah grid are all clasics in my mind
BG
February 03, 2006 08:06PM
isnt midnite a ROOTS band?
I dont know JB & Eric, but the last show i saw of Midnite, the one i opened for i think it was, put on by the Mighty Trinity Productions crew & Green Up Sound at the Independant, which had the "new" players of instruments backing.........was str8
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
with everything perfect, in pocket and as tight as can be.
Not to say your view on them should change, but i was impressed with how quickly the new band had matured. Obviously they arent for everyone, but no matter where i am, in the hood of richmond or the well to do neighborhood of lafayette....i ALWAYS get asked about 'who's that playing from your truck?'...and i usually end up giving them the cd that is playing....spreading the vibes even further to even more who will likely enjoy it.
February 03, 2006 08:19PM
Jah Bill,

I hear ya. But what I was saying about the main show stage wasn't that it was a bad set, but for my friends not hearing the vocals, they noted that the drum and bass (ultimately riddim?) sounded the same from each song to the next, without much variance. They said it could've been the same song (from their ears) for 1+ hours or however long they played.

I saw the set from the front of the stage and enjoyed it myself, much as yourself.

One love
eric v
February 03, 2006 08:27PM
"Is it just me or does it seem like Midnite puts out TOO many albums"

Well for me Eric, it ain't "Midnite" unless Ron is holding down the keys and in charge of the production. Yeah, there have been nuff CDs released by Vaughn using I Grade, Ras L and now Mystic Vision. But, with the exception of a dub album, there hasn't been a full MIDNITE album since Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance was released almost 3 years ago now.

Some people say that songs from roots artists like Midnite, Twinkle Brothers or Misty In Roots all sound the same. Then again, there are lots of people that say that ALL reggae sounds the same. Different strokes as they say.....
February 03, 2006 08:48PM
While I personally love Midnite and almost all of Vaughn's other releases I have found myself thinking at times that some other player's music "all sounds the same". Usually it's music I haven't listened to thouroughly or often because for whatever mystical reason it doesn't grab me. If the I don't feel it then it doesn't really matter what else. That being said, Vaughn's output is staggering and not all of it is as slickly produced as it could be but it's pushing the boundaries of "roots" music. More importantly, Vaughn has said pretty clearly that entertainment isn't the intention. If the I is looking for instruction then the music is heavy with knowledge for those with the ears to hear and the patience to seek. I don't know of any chanter who drops more mystic history and esoterica. Also, In a live setting the intense steadiness of the riddim (what some may call monotonous) serves a meditational purpose as one can achieve a hypnotic altered stated allowing the vibrations to open up the higher spiritual centers much akin to shamanic drumming and chanting techniques. Any of the I who have witnessed Vaughn during ecstatic almost glossolalia like moments in concert know to what I refer. But ultimately it comes down as Daniel said to different strokes for different folks. Respect It.
riffy
February 03, 2006 08:51PM
I will note - I'm a Midnite fan. BIG UP to Benjamin Vaughn and Brother Ron. I've purchased Vijan, Cipheraw, Jubilees of Zion, He is Jah, Intense Pressure (Dub), Full Cup, Scheme a' Things, Nemozian Rasta, Geoman, Unpolished, Assini and Project III. I've also seen him live 5 times now and have enjoyed all but 1 show, due to overcrowding, not the performance. I can agree that some of the CD's drone on, but he's a gem. He's prolific indeed. Maybe too prolific for some because it's hard to keep up. I feel it would nice if he slowed down production a bit to focus more quality/diversity. With that said, I think he's plenty diverse, he just needs more diversity comin out of each CD individually. But maybe he likes to carve on a certain cadence for while, yunno? & that's jus his way of runnin tings. I do know he's got a well of talent. seen.

For me, he's got it all..keep it comin Benjamin!

Riffy the skiffler
February 03, 2006 10:09PM
Daniel - what about Scheme of Things and Ainshant Maps that were released on '04? Those are Ron-produced "Midnite" releases too.

What do ones who have heard it think of the new Midnite-I Grade, Jah Grid?

To add to the diversity even further, Vaughn has 2 songs on a Crucian hip hop compilation called "The Outhouse Vol. 1", produced by Saffy Mason (noted hip hop producer who hails from STX). Check out sound samples and purchase at:

[www.viroots.com]

Vaughn's song, "These Times" is a big radio tune in St Croix right now.

Bless

February 03, 2006 10:23PM
Oops, my mistake Selam. You are most definately correct. It's been less than 2 years since a full Midnite album....

I would rank the Midnite - I Grade at just a shade under the full Midnite productions, and miles ahead of the Branch I and other 'collaborations'.

I like a lot of the selections on Jah Grid, and I would rank it second to Vijan of all the I Grade projects. Maybe it's my narrow-minded pension for roots music that keeps me from fully enjoying the Branch I and other projects.

How did the journey to South America go? I want to hear all about it....
Dr. Lifty Lu
February 04, 2006 06:59AM
Midnite is an "Essential Pick" because they are THE Essential Roots band in reggae today
HIGHPRAISE
February 04, 2006 09:54AM
Daniel said it best , but that Branch I "He Is Jah" ... Did something for me ..
Scott La Rock
February 04, 2006 02:34PM

First I want to say Ive never seen Midnite live . From what I hear this is the true way to hear the message. I continue to support Midnite by buying their works. I like it cuz it is not traditional. A little hip hop , Jazz Reggae Fusion type thing. I have bought most Midnite cds. Including the latest Current and Jah Grid. Them brothas on a musical journey. I dont dig all the songs on their cds , but find some Gems on each. I cant name a cd that I can say I loved every song. My favorite Midnite cd is Ras Mek Peace. They dont come round here in Ohio. Preston from their site said a Live dvd is in the works. I look forward to this.

For the record . Im realy feeling Turbulence
Respect to all MessenJahs !

Love to ALL

Scott

February 04, 2006 03:20PM
Current is current-ly the hottest selling album all ove the world
on the charts in france already
selling more than Jah Grid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login