Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae bands who sucked live.

Posted by gun papa 
Reggae bands who sucked live.
February 04, 2006 04:59AM
Who have you seen live that did nothing for you?

Personally, Aswad sucked. I was waiting to hear "Concrete Slaveship" or something roots from the unnamed album with the lion on it. Instead I got some glamour crap. I walked out on Aswad. Luckily, Joe Higgs had already played and he knocked out some old time Marley tunes in great style, so not a total loss. This was in Berkeley, Ca about 15 years ago.

Next,
Jimmy Cliff- Live at Squaw Valley, at the top of a big mountain. Its was a 2 day music festival, not entirely reggae. I found the sound to be good but it didn't move me. poor stage presence in my opinion. Other great bands played though so again, not a total loss.

papa
Re: Reggae bands who sucked live.
February 04, 2006 05:25AM
how bout steel pulse at the end of last years show? i understand it was the last show on their west coast tour, but damn did they sound tired!!! dont get me wrong, steel pulse is awesome!! but that show was tired!
February 04, 2006 06:46AM
aswad - saw them 2 nights in a row one time here in ohio -
cleveland & then columbus - they rocked...
and w/horns...

jimmy cliff - caught him at ohio wesleyan university and the band & jimmy cliff both were very good...

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
Dr. Lifty Lu
February 04, 2006 06:52AM
The least Irie moments of any reggae fest (I've done plenty) were supplied by Maxi Priest @ ROTR '05 (or was that Randy Watson & Sexual Chocolate?)
February 04, 2006 07:51AM
Not necessarily at festivals since usually the artists have passed a very competitive process to get there, but I've had plenty of years to witness some pretty awful reggae. I heard some of the worst ever many yrs ago @ the Berkeley Community Theater when Jerry Garcia and his band along with Maria Muldaur cold-bloodedly massacred several tunes off the "Harder they Come" LP; the word 'execrable' doesn't begin to do that performance justice. Perhaps my opinion was affected by my having heard Jimmy Cliff live w/Ernest Ranglin on guitar not long before that. Naw, it was still appalling regardless.
February 04, 2006 08:18AM
one of the worst live ever ( maybe? ) was in detroit, michigan,,,
the band no longer performs AFAIK...
February 04, 2006 08:28AM
Who? Or are they forever lost in history?
February 04, 2006 08:52AM
maybe so?

and partner,
i also heard many good bands around these parts,
give thanks,

one peace roots-ee
The man
February 04, 2006 01:20PM
Most reggae bands can't compare live to their performances on disc. Reggae is sound system music and about records; bands are a white middle class rock thing. Bob Marley with the I Threes was particularly grating. Pure sanctimony.

Reel
February 04, 2006 03:42PM
Elephant Man! It was the worst show ever.
February 04, 2006 04:11PM
i love bob marley music...some of which will live itinually...
quadruped
February 04, 2006 04:45PM
The Man wrote "bands are a white middle class rock thing".

Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Lionel Hampton. They all had bands. I guess they must've been a white middle class rock thing too.
Jahsprey
February 04, 2006 05:55PM
As I now understand, from the Man (Mr. Man?), reggae music is about sitting around listening to old records, drinking tea (well sugared), and bashing anybody who doesn't do the same. Those of us who go out and see live shows and support the real people making the music (read: BANDS) with real-time cash at the club door and in the new release sections of the local record shops apparently don't know what's happening.

I wonder what the players of instruments think reggae is? Bins of vinyl and stacks of speakers?

Every bassline has two hands on it.

And for Aswad, I saw them live in the CA Reggae Sunsplash Tour 1993 or so, and they were OK, but not the highlight. They were, however, truly fun the hang out with back then, hilarious guys, not to bad with a pool cue (or snooker, as they called it).

Peace

The man
February 04, 2006 06:06PM
Jahsprey, I've seen thousands of bands and spent many evenings in clubs from 1962 to 2006. I've seen Love at Glastonbury, Georgie Fame at the Flamingo, The Byrds at Middle Earth, Burning Spear in Bordeaux, Misty In Roots in Paris, The Rolling Stones in Hyde Park, The Abyssinians in Birmingham, Sugar Minott at the 100 Club, Barrington Levy in Brighton...and in the 1970s spent four or five evenings every week listening to Coxsone, Small Axe, Jah Tubby, Jah Shaka, Moa Ambessa and Sir Jessus in everywhere from Club Noreik to Lambeth Town Hall to cinemas in Acton, Harlesden and Stratford. I'm no longer 17 and now only step out once or twice every week. I've seen Aswad perhaps 30 times.

I know people who take two or three sugars in their tea, but I prefer just a single spoon or half spoon.

Penny Reel
February 04, 2006 06:20PM
John Browns Body- a girl talked me into seeing them a couple weeks ago up here in tahoe- the only reggae show I have ever walked out on- they suck- generic sound, horrible mixing by their engineer, and watching them hop around was like watching a bad comedy. Worst reggae show ever.
Leave them on the east coast---
Jahsprey
February 04, 2006 06:36PM
Mr. Reel, no disrespect. Obviously you're the Man. But seriously, with that history, how can you say that reggae is about records? What affected you so much back in 1962 that you've dedicated so much energy and time to reggae and it's antecedents?

It's definitely not been about sound systems and vinyl during the 28 years that I've been a reggae fan, although I do cop to having an expansive collection of Skatalites, Rico Rodriguez and Slim Smith recordings. It's been all about live music and the culture that comes with it. Maybe that's just a geographic difference. If there were regular serious sound system clashes and better used record stores in the green places that I've inhabitated, I might agree.

And back on topic: my vote for worst reggae band (performance) goes to Sinead O'Connor with Sly and Robbie on Saturday Night Live a short while back.

Peace

February 04, 2006 06:55PM
the man,
you saw MIR in Paris. do you recall the lineup then?
( i hope that you liked their music? )

i drink tea with some 'white' and sometimes a 'likke sugar/splenda'

btw the stones are playing at 1/2 time at tomorrow's/sunday feb 5/
of the ( US football ) Superbowl in detroit, michigan...just some
non reggae trivia...

one peace roots-ee
February 04, 2006 07:01PM
jahsprey,

check out ASWAD, LIVE & DiRECT ( early 80s? 84? ) ( done at the
Notting Hill carnival ) one of the best live reggae recordings ever IMHO....

'ASWAD asks...do you know what live and direct is? live and direct is
live and direct

:-)

one peace roots-ee
HIGHPRAISE
February 04, 2006 07:44PM
1989 BMD in Long Beach .. Aswad blew my little 16 year old brain doing many songs dubbed out crazy .. Many of which can be heard on the "A New Chapter Of Dub" Album .. Ironicly it goes down as one of the best performances ive seen ,but that was 17 years ago ..
February 04, 2006 07:46PM
A coupla comments:
--When I was in JA the average music fan got his or her fix from the juke boxes during the week & the sound systems on the weekends. But on the holidays, esp. Xmas & Easter, all the youth would converge at the Regal or Ward Theatre for a big stage show with dozens of artists doing their latest hits live with a full band. I'm sure this is the culture Bob came up in as well, and I'm sure his live performances reflected that special-ness of the holiday stage shows more than it did any rock & roll bizness. That being said, imho there are way too many bands in the USA trying to copy that BMW live band formula, complete with lead singer flashing dreadlocks and yelping "woyoyoyoy"s...in that I totally agree with Penny, that whole shtick has become a rock band style cliche and is very old and busted.

We did a show with John Brown's Body back in '98...they were good people, friendly, good musicians, not remarkable but solid, but what set them apart was their sound man, who couldn't have been more than 21, but must've been raised on a listening diet of King Tubby and Scratch, cos he did one of the best jobs of live dub mixing the band I'd ever heard. He hasn't been working with them for some years, I was told.
February 04, 2006 08:03PM

Author: The man (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: 02-04-06 05:20

Most reggae bands can't compare live to their performances on disc. Reggae is sound system music and about records; bands are a white middle class rock thing.

Reel

Nuff said.

Post Edited (02-04-06 12:03)
February 04, 2006 08:42PM
I mostly agree with Penny. Although there was plenty of live performing in small clubs during the golden era of Jamaican records. And I agree with whoever posted about the Bob Marley schtick that's tainted reggae stage performances ever since.
February 04, 2006 08:46PM
Chimino wrote:

>

Author: The man (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
> Date: 02-04-06 05:20
>
> Most reggae bands can't compare live to their performances on
> disc.
I can't agree with that. Live performances are a different animal altogether. If the above were true, why are live BMW recordings (for example) so coveted by so many people? There's a lot of intangibles and a different sort of energy involved with live performances. I'm a musician who's mainly played live, and playing live with Jamaican musicians has taught me a little bit about living with and working with that kind of spontaneity and immediacy.

Reggae is sound system music and about records; bands are
> a white middle class rock thing.
Well, that's way generalized, but outside of JA...yep. Read my above remarks about BMW wannabee bands & artists. It's def. a low point of the Marley legacy.
February 04, 2006 08:56PM
well stamina, there does seem to be two facets to it....perhaps the sound system ting is more of a ghetto/poor peoples version of reggae music, because the standard for stage shows in JA is still backative by a live band. Of course, Yard dances where artists pass thru on the mic is all done thru sound system and seems to be the standard many still want to hear from their music.
So, in Jamaica a live band backing a reggae/dancehall artist is still the stageshow standard, but hearing a live band on record/CD/MP3 is not (unless a Studio1 or other foundation sitt'in).
Kind of how reggae albums are the standard in foreign, but nearly everything in JA/WI circles is presented as a single or riddim.

February 04, 2006 09:11PM
that comment is a slap in the face of all the talented musicians that put on awesome live shows, maybe you haven't seen Gentleman, Burning Spear, Damian Marley, Jr.Reid, Buju i could go on forever. i have been to many and i mean many shows and live reggae is the roots of the music, drum & bass, percussion, open your eyes and ears people, studio is nice but no way. go stand near a speaker at sierra nevada then tell me whats better. bless up.
February 04, 2006 09:19PM
dude you are so right , what shows was this guy going to? i hate these people who talk out there ass and don't realize the effort these great bands put forth, for instance Saggitarious, far east, detour posse, mellinium band, burning band, fully fullwood, these are talented guys, as for Aswad they were a pretty good group, brinsley had them rolling for awhile, we have to realize reggae is a music of styles eveybody has a style whether it's roots, dancehall, lovers rock respect all stylies sien !!!!!!!!!!! bless up see you at sierra
February 04, 2006 10:00PM
I wonder what Jah Todd or Sis Courtney think of this....

February 04, 2006 10:10PM
john browns body? no way.

go listen to their albums and go see them at a good venue and you will change your mind.
February 04, 2006 10:35PM
it amazes me that some folks try to put the blame on bob marley himself
for the low point of reggae music today...incomprehensible....
February 04, 2006 10:36PM
aswad's brinsley - a good front man...

drummie zeb...one of the sweetest voices in reggae despite being stuck in the back playing some excellent drums...
February 04, 2006 11:41PM
John Browns Body- yes way- I've heard their albums and that was their second chance at a live set- both terrible- not sure if they'll get a third try...
February 05, 2006 01:32AM
I don't think you overstand rootsee...no diss on Bob, he was the original talent and has (and deserves every bit of) his place in musical his-story...it's just that the ability and charisma he had are the envy of so many wannabees of far less talent and charisma, so that much of his stage act has become expropriated by said wannabees to the point where it becomes a bad cliche...sometimes to the point of becoming an unintentionally amusing Adam Sandler-type routine.
February 05, 2006 01:38AM
btw there are plenty of low points of the Marley legacy esp. re: the handling of his estate after his passing...
baykay
February 05, 2006 01:46AM
sizzla at reggae in the park SF a few years back was NOT good
maxi priest, snwmf 04--sexual chocolate indeed
I saw norris man in bardown backed by a sound system that god awful, and norris was pissed
February 05, 2006 02:45AM
YVAD piut me to sleep live . i dont know if he's improved but it was like
elevator muzak to me at the time. a
sideways
February 05, 2006 03:12AM
1st time hearing johns body at belly up last year, (have known their studio sounds) and they sounded great. tight horn section. yes they are not original 70's rockers, but their sound was definitially on and not lame by anyones means that night..
February 05, 2006 03:14AM
Israel Vibration is as good as their discs, especially the early 90's shows. Their Live CD "vibes alive", was recorded at the Catalist in Santa Cruz. I was in the audience that night and I can tell you its was better than what you hear on the CD. The CD producers cut tracks and released the CD but not in order of songs played.

Sorry but even a studio CD couldn't match those Catalist live shows. papa

baldhed
February 05, 2006 04:07AM
Top 5 worst performances
1. beenie man
2. mr. vegas
3. jimmy cliff
4. groundation lead singer
5. latest incarnation of israel vibration

bonus. eek-a-mouse
+ any band with dale hauskins on guitar
February 05, 2006 04:16AM
so it is a contradictory issue,

people mention bob as if he is to blame for what has happened after the bredda gone to zion.

the man gone, and he is the original yet so many always talk as if he cause the
detoriating scene nowadays.

make absolutly no sense....
Jahsprey
February 05, 2006 04:22AM
G.P. I was there too for all those I-Vibes shows in the early 90's. They were epic. The Root Radics with Bingy Bunny, Flabba, Style Scott, Dwight Pinkey...whew...great live sound. Deep, sweet, heavy and complete.

Recent I-Vibes shows without Apple and the full original radics, however, can't touch the memories or even the the live recording.

Peace.

February 05, 2006 04:59AM
Wow, I've seen Beenie three times and each show gave me more than my money's worth. Definitely the #1 dancehall performer in Jamaica today.
Morgan Heritage was quite disappointing both times I saw them.

The man
February 05, 2006 01:37PM
Roots-ee, sorry to disillusion you but good as Bob Marley may have been, he was not the "original". Man like Owen Grey, Jackie Edwards and Derrick Morgan were the original, Bob Marley came up around 1964 as part of a group called the Wailers, who were very successful but not as successful as the Gaylads, Maytals, Clarendonians and many others. Though they had a few hits, the Wailers couldn't match the Uniques and Bob wanted to fight Slim Smith when the latter constantly beat him in talent contests. The Wailers were starving in England in 1972 when Chris Blackwell gave them some money to record 'Catch A Fire'. I saw the Wailers with Peter and Bunny and they were quite good live; however, by the late 1970s with the sanctimonious I Threes on backing vocals they were just a noisy band spurred on by Marley's flailing locks, silly dance and an increasingly turgid sound.

Penny Reel
February 05, 2006 01:48PM
Baldhead wrote:

bonus. eek-a-mouse

Each perfomance depends not much on the artist as how tight the backing band was. Eek-a-mouse live shows from the early 80s was excellent. Not to mention his earlier live stuff when he was backed by Studio 1 Band.
February 05, 2006 01:54PM
the man,
u do not disappoint me, no way.

all i am saying is that it is incedulous to folks like me anyway, that there is so
much : monday morning QB stuff which seeks to blame bob marley for the less than good staus of reggae today...

that babylonian thinking and falling for the tricks of babylon who initiated this
trend of thought quite a while ago.

for i & I, it 'na work at all.
The man
February 05, 2006 02:56PM
The less than good state of reggae today is due to the fact that in the early 1980s the industry fell into the hands of the JLP, who introduced dancehall and all that subsequently followed. Marley and many reggae acts of the 1970s was a PNP follower and these were more sympathetic to Rasta. I'm not blaming Bob Marley for reggae's current position, he's had very little influence on the music's development as far as I can see.

Observer
February 05, 2006 03:03PM
true true,
except that marley is recognized by the worlds peoples,
no small feat,
agreed?

some babylonians conveniently try to deflect this major feat,
na work star,
February 05, 2006 07:49PM
Eek-A-Mouse was a Studio 1 deejay? All evidence says he buss under Junjo Lawes on the Volcano label.

baykay
February 05, 2006 08:51PM
must add to the list groundation from last night in fairfax. they sounded horrible. horsemouth was solid on the drums, but that's the only positive thing I can say, and I'm a groundation fan. I know the sound in 19 broadway is not good, but I've never heard anything as bad as last night. couldn't even stay for the 2nd set.
February 05, 2006 08:55PM
Weird with your statement about the 19 Broadway show, they did well in Petaluma, and I'm not even really a groundation fan, but must admit they pulled it off nicley. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
February 05, 2006 09:25PM
james - did they mostly do bob covers, or was there an original set too?
February 05, 2006 09:52PM
What Chimmy said. Whether on not you love dancehall, Beenie can flow w/riddims & rinse lyrics with the very best of them. That's also the exact word I thought of seeing Morgan Heritage live...disappointing. Maybe I came in expecting to be blown away, but their performance was pedestrian at best.
February 05, 2006 09:58PM
yeah- Beenie KILLS it onstage-
morgan heritage is like seeing a pop/rock show- even though they have some great material they seem to keep it pretty mellow over here in the states...
peaces---
papa ray
February 05, 2006 10:01PM
Woah, I was down w/ the flu/cold aches yesterday, would of loved to jump in on this early-on....

Actually, I cannot disagree w/ either side of this, since we all come to the table w/ different wants. However, I must agree that in my mind I view the Jamaican music
I like as essentially a creature of the studio. Still, the best of Jamaica's musicians
are capable of being amazing live. I recall shows by the Original Radics that had
me purring & glowing from their grooves. Sly Dunbar and Horsemouth Wallace have been as thrilling to me live as Max Roach or any other drummer/percussionist I've ever witnessed. Joseph Hill is a spell-binder. We've all seen the Burning Spear
be amazing(I'm thinking of in particular several shows seen around '81). Great reggae played live is wonderment to me. plenty more example can be given.

HOWEVER, how many(!!!!)damn times have I witnessed some wanna-be's flail around dropping the beat, noodling, being indulgent, just not setting the groove not being able to THEN really take care of bizness?? And how many times have I witnessed singers I love sabotaged by their back-up? Or watch a band, Jamaican or otherwise, just be hacks? And how many oh how many times have I watched a half-assed band yell the banal crap they do as if that justified their performance? I don't care if you are washed in Rastafari and saying 'Jah this' and 'Jah that', if you can't cut it on stage PLEASE step off. Too many times what I see these days is efforts at playing some part of Jamaican music descend
into musically slack hippie mediocrity.

And how often, when hearing the above, have I yearned on a nite where all I want to do is groove and do a few dance step think, "I'D RATHER LISTEN TO A GOOD SELECTA!"

Don't even get me started on all these would-be-clown frontmen trying to ape
some gesture or act they saw on a Bob Marley stage performance(Example: Mongoose). Nothing but the best, and later for the garbage.
February 06, 2006 06:04AM
baykay I can't argue with you there. I went to the Slim's and Phoenix shows and both times they just wrecked it. Yet after halfway through the first set at 19 Broadway I almost left. Needless to say the band was playing very tight, but the sound in there was just brutal. Groundation was the first act to play there since everything had been replaced from the flooding and it just sounded way too quiet. The refurbishing was beautiful though. You couldn't hear the backups most of the night or Harrison at times. I couldn't hear any bass from the kick drum. Couldn't hear the keyboards most of the time. They have a good soundman with them and he was fighting the system all night. Lots of feedback throughout. There were some moments where it sounded like he'd pull it all together, but it just didn't seem to happen for the most part. I hope that you have a chance to see them at one of the other shows coming along because I think this one was just one of those nights. They're at Ashkenaz on the 15th and The Last Day in Santa Rosa on the 21st, which is the last show on the tour. Give thanks for the feedback.

fourtwentyplenty
February 06, 2006 06:07AM
tahoe this tour is all Bob covers except for a couple of tunes honoring Horsemouth. Two night they did Bunny Wailer's "Rockers" from the movie and one night they did Burning Spear's "Marcus Garvey." Barring the sound issue they've been killing the songs "Caution" and "Mr Brown" in particular for me. They've also been mixing in some killer drum and bass and dub action.

fourtwentyplenty
February 06, 2006 07:51AM
john brown's body ? generic ? what exactly do you mean by generic ? yes they have been through a couple soundmen since 98 as well as a few band members ... but they still come with the goods ... great people ... great musicianship ... and personally ... i think they sound pretty original ... sure you can hear some influences here and there ... but they have a pretty fresh sound ... anyways ... to each their own ... i love them and you think they suck ... that's why it's so great to be able to make our own choices and have opinions that are ours alone ... you might figure into it that they tour almost constantly so they must be doing something right ... and they pretty much support themselves playing the music they love ... that's gotta count for something ... good to see a couple people back them up on here ... it's rare for me to hear a reggae fan say they like JBB
alisha
February 06, 2006 04:08PM
HIGHPRAISE...you're an old fart
Shunsta
February 06, 2006 05:02PM
hey tahoemada damn your a crabby one ,actually that show was weak ,because the original bassist was having surgery for cancer or somthing ,ive seen John Browns Body 3 times and that was the weakest by far, but i still enjoyed it ,im not stuck like you bamba clot! hahaha kiddin Jah bless
February 06, 2006 08:05PM
got to agree with the first posting.

Aswad was an incredible let down a few years ago. They teased us with a little dub fire from New Chapter and then it was nothing but crappy love songs, pop sap, and I steeled myself that if they played Don't Turn Around, I would and I did. However I did miss a finale of African Children, so it was my loss, they played very well, it was just awful selections, a far far cry from Live and Direct days. I talked at length to Alton Ellis at his last SNWMF appearance and asked him, what does an artist seek to accomplish onstage knowing he has a set period of time to perform. Alton's swift reply, You start with heavy songs, and build and build and then when the vibes at peaking, hit them with the super duty heavy "Classics" to push people into ecstasy. I've seen many artists play clunker, good song, clunker, and on and on, talk about a tedious show. But hey I remind myself I am not an artist sweating up there onstage.
But a band like Aswad should try to please their audience, not torment them with mediocrity.

I've been championing Dr. Alimantado for a stop at SNWMF for years now, and I heard people's postings about him doing a terrible live show. I just can't see how that can be, but until it happens....I guess I will have to wonder in my mind....
jb welda
February 06, 2006 08:56PM
>But a band like Aswad should try to please their audience, not torment them
>with mediocrity.

aswad is show biz and show biz artists usually are on tour to sell a latest big album. and aswads albums have been mediocrity personified for years, hence their selection to play live. they want to pump up the album sales numbers for their latest album so their record company will want them to do a next album. unfortunately especially with a well informed audience, that is exactly the wrong tack...but selling back catalogue on some other label is not what they aim to do.

alton ellis is a complete other deal as he is not signed to a big label (or any label essentially, at least not that i know of) so he can concentrate on giving the audience what he perceives they want without worrying how many will be buying a certain product. he essentially wants them to come back next time he is in town.

one love
jah bill
Acacia
February 07, 2006 12:54AM
Lee Perry. My gawd.
dogwarbossanova
February 07, 2006 03:10AM
Out of all of the big-name reggae artists I've seen live, the worst AND best were on the same bill: Aswad and Burning Spear in Boston in the early `80s. Aswad opened and it was kind of an attempted simulation of the current dancehall vibe - a minute or so each of various current riddims w/ lots of shouting - just crowd-pleasing cheezwiz. Maybe some folks hyped up on dancehall dug it. I couldn't wait for it to end.
Then Spear and his band came on and it was like night and day - to me, Spear presented a vision of what live reggae could and should be at its best, LONG heavy workouts featuring the crisp horns of Herman Marquis and Bobby Ellis, Spear practically speaking in tongues, putting the audience into a trance with these totally absorbing grooves which gave the musicians plenty of room to express themselves.

I'm basically w/ Reel on this one: sound systems carry the swing. I hardly ever go out to hear live reggae anymore, but I'm very much looking forward to a possible Stur-Gav session here in LA.
I've found most live reggae shows that I've attended to be pretty disappointing. Some of the better gigs I've seen would be the Gladiators (both on their own and as backup for Yabby You) and Black Uhuru backed by Sly & Robbie. And the Skatalites, who come from the era when live shows WERE a much bigger part of Jamaican music. Of course we've all seen alot of dynamic performers hampered by less-than-stellar backup bands. I was talking recently w/ a local promoter and we both agreed that what would be cool would be to hook up the old veterans with the new young bands who can really nail the older sounds - imagine Dave Barker or Leonard Dillion backed by the Aggrolites, for example.
February 07, 2006 04:40AM
I don't think I've ever been called crabby before- damn, I must be getting old...
HIGHPRAISE
February 07, 2006 06:37AM
Stur Gav session in LA ?? Any info ?
February 07, 2006 06:51AM
HIGHPRAISE - what Alisha said.

Haha - jk - love you both, and I'm the old fart. Tahoearmada - Some of us mellow with age (hehe), but you're just sticking to your guns - you go girl. I happen to actually like JBB a lot - but haven't caught them live. I do not however expect everyone else to...

Peace
February 07, 2006 06:57AM
i was bored to tears with Frankie paul at Maritime
I ve walked out for fresh air for many an opening act....
but many bad live shows are the fault of the venue's system..like 19broadway...they are embarrassingly consistent with poor sound. I remember Joseph Hill, Culture, had to walk off the stage for 15 minutes (he stands by me, sad and frustrated,and says"i;ve been here since noon...and still no good!) Jah bless, he struggled thru to perform past that bad system. Never get weary! ??? Big up the singers and players who give it up under less that optimum conditions at the clubs. Most of them work very hard. dreader than dread
HIGHPRAISE
February 07, 2006 07:16AM
Yes yes Dubguy . Where's the pre party camp this year ? Not familiar with Mendo at all , the area that is smiling smiley
Shunsta
February 07, 2006 05:08PM
no hate against you tahoearmada ,John browns body is my second fav band, just backin them up, Jah bless
February 07, 2006 05:28PM
Worst shows recently for me have been Groundation (the man can't sing) and Eek A Mouse (at SNWMF - horrors!).

But the worst show ever for me was the Wailers at New Orleans Jazz Fest a few years back. The band of course was smooth, but the front people were so condescending in the way they talked to the crowd, as if they had no musical knowledge at all. And the music was presented in this smug quasi-religious atmosphere, as if it were meant to played in a church or a memorial service. But worst of all was the frontman - a Marley clone who mimiced all the well-known Marley mannerisms. And I thought, man it would be perfect if they brought out an Elvis impersonater too, and they could duet a version of "Selassie in the Chapel".
February 07, 2006 05:36PM
a few bands i have heard sounded 'not so good' but IMHO, it was the weak
sound system and/or fairly incompetent sound people
that accentuated the fair quality of the bands.

i heard these same bands on much better sound systems and they sounded quite allright indeed, especially if it happened that there was a competent sound engineer.

so the factors are many and have to taken into context in a sense of fairness,

so deh...

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
jb welda
February 07, 2006 06:13PM
rootsee youre the king of "its all good".

one love
jah bill
February 07, 2006 06:15PM
Mike,

Yeah, I think I was at that show. Wasn't Marcia Griffiths there?-she was ok as I remember. But, the sound was so awful it wouldn't have mattered if the band had somehow shattered my preconceived notion that they would certainly suck. Agree that frontguy was funny- is it possible to ape a caricature?

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
jb welda
February 07, 2006 06:21PM
that was probably that "elan" dude. man they never came so close to a bad vegas elvis impersonator. i know they go to the bank on marleys image but at some point there just has to be asked: "why bother?" still people flock to hear the wailers.

i was actually pretty impressed last time they were at snwmf, against all odds. but the singer was gary pine (?) and he didnt milk the image so badly.

i mean, at least they have a *reason* to play marley material, unlike every other reggae band that feels it mandatory to do a marley medley or something.

one love
jah bill
February 07, 2006 06:24PM
It dread inna Bob Elan?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login