Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drive from Boonville to Ukiah

Posted by Yabby You fan 
Yabby You fan
Drive from Boonville to Ukiah
February 06, 2006 12:16PM
Does anybody know about this drive? It looks like it's in the boonies (no pun intended) on a map: some serious twists, turns, and corners. One site said the drive is 12 miles, another said 21. Anybody know the real scoop? Obviously, I'm not going to camp and looking for the closest hotel possible...

Many thanks for any info.

Yabby You fan
"72 different nations, bow before Jah glory..."
jb welda
Re: Drive from Boonville to Ukiah
February 06, 2006 05:19PM
yes its a fun road. i would guess closer to the 21 miles than the 12 miles mark.

one love
jah bill
February 06, 2006 06:03PM
Very curvy and dangerous at times, but fun if you like to race. Give me an old Renault R5 Turbo and I'm gone!

Post Edited (02-06-06 10:18)

fourtwentyplenty
February 06, 2006 06:10PM
You can't measure the trip by the mileage. If I push it I can make the drive in forty minutes.
February 06, 2006 08:46PM
Motel 6 has a special online deal for around $50 per night and its in Ukiah, same thing here some maps say 13 miles some say 20 miles.. whatever.. smiling smiley I'll be there, make res. now if you want a good deal!!

Bless
jb welda
February 06, 2006 09:04PM
its a fun road:

even if the weather isnt the best:

but mind how you drive:

one love
jah bill

February 07, 2006 04:44AM
my audi loves that road---
Kalalau6
February 07, 2006 07:46AM
*Lovely* driving up into the moonlight, but amazing coasting curving down to "reality" as well...as always keep a lookout for those fluffy bunnies though -
Yabby You fan
February 07, 2006 09:27AM
Thanks for the replies. Okay, it's a really curvy road...is it the best option for a hotel or does anybody recommend going someplace else?

Nice cars 420plenty and Jah Bill, I don't have a racecar! And Mike, did you really mean the drive is 40 minutes? Yikes...oh well, it's the music I'm going for anyway...

Yabby You fan
"Chant down Babylon Kingdom, Jah Jah mek we chant down Babylon now"

February 07, 2006 04:31PM
Just a warning for those of you who are thinking about getting a hotel in Ukiah. That road is death on a stick, man. NO ALCOHOL!!!!!!! I have driven that road at least 80 times and no matter how many times I drive it, it's sketchy. Windy and steep cliffs. Please do not drink and drive!!! Drive super slow. Ok, mama empress is done.

Ever Forward
Empress
February 07, 2006 05:05PM
All the roads in the area are somewhat dangerous, but no problem if you obey the posted speed limits. Many of the curves require you to slow down to 20MPH. This applies to both routes into the area from 101, and inland from 1.

So don't be like me and drive them when you're in a hurry. Give yourself an extra 20 minutes drive time and you'll be fine.

But yes, stuff happens. There was a teenager from Ukiah that we knew who went missing. Everyone thought she had run away from home. I year later her she was finally found, had gone over the side of that road down a cliff, her car was over 300 yards from the road.
jb welda
February 07, 2006 05:08PM
one more thing:

hang up and drive!!!

one love
jah bill
February 13, 2006 07:01PM
I live in Ukiah.... the road from Boonville to Ukiah is far from fun, yes, unless you have no brains and a sports car. There are many accidents on that road.
But all depending on how sober you plan to be at SNWMF.
There are 2 Hotels/Inns in Boonville, but not cheap. If you plan on indulging with smoke or drink, I would highly recommend not driving the Boonville road.
Boonville is a small town with a high rate of DUI's. The Sherriff's will be out on full patrol that weekend. They are not use to having something big happen in their area, so they will be all pumped up.
If you dont want to camp there at the concert, there are a few campsites close by,but not walking distance. I believe some have small cabins.
Hendy Woods State Park is the closest place.
jjlab3
February 13, 2006 08:47PM
I don't think that road is that bad. It's pretty curvy but as long as you watch you spedd it's cool.

If you want a sketchy road try the road from Garberville or Redway to Shelter Cove.
February 13, 2006 09:12PM
did it two weekends ago it's about 30min ish depending on the above posts
from Sac 3 1/2 to 4hr--in motorhome 4+ hr
February 13, 2006 10:06PM
Yeah I live in UKiah too. The road is curvy, but nothing to be afraid of, and many worse ones in the County.

The hotels in Booneville are already booked up.

Hendy Woods is a fantastic camping spot, I've reserved a space, but only 100 or so camping sites so if you want some peace and privacy you better reserve now. It's 10 minutes from the festival site.
February 13, 2006 10:40PM
Is it worth it to get a hotel in Ukiah, in terms of driving time to the festival? Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
Yabby You fan
February 14, 2006 02:15AM
I went ahead and got my hotel reservation at the Holiday Inn Express in Ukiah. The Days Inn seems to be booking fast, as their price has gone up to the point where it's about the same price as the Holiday Inn Express when you factor in the continental breakfast that the HIE offers.

Here's another question: since the road is really curvy and somewhat shaky, although seemingly okay if you drive the speed limit, what's people's opinion about driving on the 128 road south to Cloverdale, then north on the 101 road to Ukiah? How long is this and is it a better option?

Yabby You fan

jb welda
February 14, 2006 02:57AM
if youre really concerned, take a driving lesson before you go. they have good ones at infineon raceway.

[www.jimrussellusa.com]

you will find that *the* most dangerous place to be is the freeway . too many people going too fast while way too distracted. give me a two lane windy road anytime and that road aint even that windy compared to hwy 1 or many lesser roads in california or for that matter, anywhere west of the eastern rocky mountains.

one love
jah bill
February 14, 2006 03:52AM
I do this drive at least once a month, in all kinds of weather, in an old Toyota. No problem.

a 45 minute drive that you can shorten at best to 35 minutes but why bother.

Besides that, it has some gorgeous views.

The route from Cloverdale is just as curvy, and a much longer distance.
February 14, 2006 05:52PM
Well Howdy.
As a local Valley boy (Philo) who's driven that road for 32 years, I want to tell you the drive is not for the faint of heart. It is sixteen miles from one side to the other. Lots of blind curves, steep in places, logging trucks and crazed flatlanders.
Slow down, take your time, it aint the place your going, its the journey that's important. Stop once in awhile, pull over and enjoy the beauty of this land we live
of Mendocino.
I don't want to meet any of your slideing around in my lane on one of those corners on the way over the hill to visit my granddaughter.
Secondly, there is one Hotel in Boonville which has four room I think. There are B and B's spread out in the Valley and a small Inn/Motel in Philo. Your best bet is to come to the fair grounds, camp out and have a real good time and keep you and us safe.
There are people in this Valley who are not too happy about youall comeing. So less talk about road raceing, ok. Cause I want to go to this event and dance my old hippie ass off.
Blessings
Rev. T.
Yabby You fan
February 15, 2006 01:14AM
With all the talk about these sharp curves, is there any guard-rails on the road? It doesn't sound like it...

Yabby You fan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login