fao stamina!
February 07, 2006 11:16PM
check this out:

[cgi.ebay.com]

one love
jah bill
Re: fao stamina!
February 08, 2006 07:27AM
glad i peeked at the post, since i have this piece of plastic beauty. i've always wondered who brother l'hommedieu & jah scott are. i used to think ras midas=l'hommedieu, they sound similar, but i don't think they are the same person now....i see the latter is credited as penning both songs. herb, can you shed more light on them?

12".....LET THE PEOPLE GO / BROTHER L'HOMMEDIEU & JAH SCOTT-BLACK MAN IS GOD.....jaywax

m.

jb welda
February 08, 2006 04:16PM
sold for:

>GBP 68.66
>(Approximately US $119.77)

mine still has the 1.99 price tag on it.

hopefully ras midas has a stack of these in his basement and can clean up on this!

one love
jah bill
February 08, 2006 05:10PM
Wow...got a show to go to right now, I'll answer all this when I get home.
btw Root Awakening tonite Wed. @ the brand new E3 Playhouse right around the corner from the Catalyst in the old Cymbaline Records bldg. , Downtown Santa Cruz, 7:30-10 pm (early show!) Criss little place w/great sound, makes the cat sound like the inside of a dumpster...full bar and very music-friendly environment...
/end of spam
February 09, 2006 11:20AM
you gotta love that, jb!

i got mine way back in the day from ernie when he was working from home, still living with mom & dad. remember when he used to do those "grab bag" sales SUPER cheap? i got this in one of those, for like fifty cents or something ridiculous. i got some other gems that way as well. those were the days!

m.

February 09, 2006 11:42AM
Hey, I remember a stack of boxes of those records, 50 to a box, in the back room of the church (where we rehearsed and occasionally played shows)...there are prob. more of those on the W. coast than anywhere else in the world...not sure how it got out to Europe, but Midas' following was mainly in Europe (esp. France and Scandinavia) and Africa, so I guess there were some bought out there...Bro. Keith L'hommedieu was the executive producer of the Rastafarians; in late '78, before he met us, he met Midas & Harry J in Jamaica & did a record project (tho it didn't get released until '80)...musicians on that disc: Mikey Boo, Val Douglas, Chinna, Keith Lyn, Ansel Collins, Bongo Herman among others. Midas wrote & sang "Let the People Go" while Bro. Keith wrote & sang "Black Man is God" and had Jah Scott, a drummer who also did a bit of dj'ing, vocalize on it too. The ULC logo on there is a bit strange since it's on a Jaywax (Harry J of course) label, but then again everything pertaining to the church was tax-exempt, so it's understandable why L'hommedieu would want his recording costs, etc. (prob. including airfare & accommodations) to be listed in the books as church expenses.
jb welda
February 09, 2006 11:44AM
yeah michele my friend barry amoeba the reggae buyer @ the berkeley store used to get in these big stacks of 12" singles from ernie practically free. he would go through them and take a quick listen, then put aside the ones he thought were good for me when i came in (every other weekend in those days). i would walk out of there with a foot high stack of 12" singles for like 20$ and most of them turned out to be real killers even if by somewhat unknown artists.

for instance i just sold a 12" on peter metro label by prince hammer: african dance hall. had never listened to it, it was one of those i got from barry for next to nothing and i just never got to it. before i sell a record i digitize it to burn to cd and man was i surprised at this one! pure on-u sound vibes and heavy heavy tune. thats just one example of the type of quality i was getting then. got a few old 10" too like from papa face who i never heard of but man those records were heavy as lead!

papa face: modeller/version/jamming/version (10"winking smiley (top notch)
papa face: forward home/version (10"winking smiley (top notch)

i have no idea how much these go for these days but if quality of music counts for much then im thinking they are high bucks!

one love
jah bill
Dave Home
February 09, 2006 01:25PM
Jah Bill - I know you're a Rodigan fan so I just thought to let you know that Papa Face is a close associate of David Rodigan. They have played out together for years in the UK. Papa Face has worked for Dub Vendor in the UK for a very long time, first at Clapham Junction and then at Ladbroke Grove, and it was through the Dub Vendor/Fashion connection that he started recording. Indeed, I think he was one of the first artists to record for Fashion. As you probably know the Top Notch label was an offshoot of the Fashion label. The Dub Vendor crew played out at Tighten Up a year or so ago and Papa Face took the mic that night. He's still a very good DJ, and helped keep the place rocking. Cheers, Dave
jb welda
February 09, 2006 03:03PM
yeah dave now that you mention it i recall hearing his name associated with tighten up and dub vendor but didnt know it was the same guy! also didnt know top notch was associated with dub vendor. respects for the info star!

one love
jah bill
jb welda
February 09, 2006 03:08PM
come to think of it though i do recall seeing "fashion" on the top notch singles, like maybe "distributed by fashion" or something. still its good to get the old grey matter jump started once in a while

one love
jah bill
Stevo
February 09, 2006 03:14PM
I can remember when I first heard the tune "Forward Home". Respect to Dillinger for that. I love that one. It's pretty rub-a-dub stylee, which is not normally my bag. But still "top notch" as I would say. I need "Young Rebel" and "Modeller", to complete those particular 10"s in my collection.
-Stevo
February 09, 2006 04:44PM
thanks for all the info, herb. very interesting stuff; also good to give credit to midas for writing "let the people go", since the label credits l'hommedieu. again, nice piece of plastic.

so herb, anything else hiding out in that church?!

m.

February 09, 2006 06:15PM
Not any more, it's been a missionary Baptist church for years and years. I'm pretty sure they swept all the heathen idolatry such as music out of there. I never got a chance to ask Midas if he has any copies of that 12"...he did tell me that he holds the copyright on "Let the People Go".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login