Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rome Antics on Valentine's Day

Posted by Stamina! 
Rome Antics on Valentine's Day
February 13, 2006 11:16PM
How is it babylon expects us to give and show love just the one day a year, at which time it can sell nuff candy, greeting cards, lingerie etc...the same goes for babylon choosing one day in November to give thanks to the most High...are we to curse our lot the rest of the year?
And what are we supposed to accept as love? The sex they sell us continually? Or the "Rome antics" as one rasta in JA word/sound/powered me long ago?

The Greeks had several words for what we give the blanket term 'love': eros, philos and agape:
eros: sexual and/or carnal desire. The self-gratification of erotic pleasure. Also in psychiatric terminology, the sum of life-preserving instincts that are manifested as impulses to gratify basic needs, as sublimated impulses, and as impulses to protect and preserve the body and mind.
philos: affinity for; the intense desire to be connected in essence with that outside our selves; e.g. philosophy, philanthropy.
agape (ah-gah-pay): Unconditional love. A love that stems from the ability to see the divine spark in all life.

This 'love holiday' seems to deal totally with eros and little to not at all with philos or agape, as do most of the media which bombard us with sexually charged images and situations every day. I'm not saying that one should forsake the blessed circumstances which gave us all life, just saying that that's only the beginning of love. Where we take that is up to each of us.

In Ancient Rome, the day of February 15 was Lupercalia, the festival of Lupercus, the god of fertility, who was represented as half-naked and dressed in goat skins. As part of the purification ritual, the priests of Lupercus would sacrifice goats to the god, and after drinking wine, they would run through the streets of Rome holding pieces of the goat skin above their heads, touching anyone they met. Young women especially would come forth voluntarily for the occasion, in the belief that being so touched would render them fruitful and bring easy childbirth. It would be interesting to take this day derived from a pagan fertility rite and named after a Christian martyr, and see what people here consider the true meaning of love.
Re: Rome Antics on Valentine's Day
February 14, 2006 05:32AM
Well, as for myself, Im for ritualised abduction of younger by elders. Im pagan deep in my heart, and Im fed up with endless line of Christian martyrs for last 2.000 years.

"There is in fact evidence that romantic eros was seen as homosexual all over Greece. Sparta, even with its relatively free women, had homosexual relationships built into the structure of the training all young Spartan men received. In other Dorian areas also homosexuality was widely accepted. Thebes saw in the 4th century the creation of a battalion of homosexual lovers - the Sacred Band. In Crete we have evidence of ritualised abduction of younger by older men."
papa ray
February 14, 2006 06:40AM
And yet, Stamina, I've been in Jamaica on Valentine's Day, a nation where the men
try to run down women every hour of the day for the other 364, and not see
one Valentine, one bouquet of flowers....

Zoki, there's definitely a homo-erotic vibe as a by-product of male-militarist
culture thru history. Also in societies that surpress the female population.
Ever check those photos of Taliban males heavily rouge'd with eye-liner??
This is what happens when women are forced into subjectivity and dressed as bee-keepers....
levi-t
February 14, 2006 12:02PM
if you look at the philosophical implications, however, of what the notion of love is/means, historically, sexuality is not the driving force of the male-male relationships.

in greek and spartan socitey, mentoring and partnering was particualrly important in the fostering of younger men. the love that is spoken of between these groups is not particularly representative of a carnal or physical nature...
if you look at the varying accounts of love, throughout literature, historically, the relationship between accounts (the story/norm)and value(emotional/practical worth) are especially important.
February 14, 2006 12:36PM
hey stamina!

i think there is a song from a ras tesfa lp called "rome antics"...

m.

jb welda
February 14, 2006 03:17PM
its obviously designed to sell product. phony holiday to increase sales of stuff you probably dont need. its the power of confusion

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login