Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

To all Protland Crew

Posted by Ninjacat 
To all Protland Crew
February 14, 2006 08:03AM
I know some of you are fans and some are not, but I am so I am looking for anyone who has access to 2 Matisyahu tickets at the Crystal on the 26th. Let me know.
Re: To all Protland Crew
February 14, 2006 11:21AM
Ninja, afta chekkin I sources an contacts, deh will be NO late releases of tickets for this event, it's bin Sold Out fi a very long while, an the only promo tickets went thru 94.7 FM if ya can balee dat!!! and nun are available as far as I kno...

ya can alwehs go down deh an getta tikkit from a scalper... I KNOW dem gwan be deh!!! or mebbe even a "miracle" as dem dedheds would seh!!!

anuthah possibility is ta chek craigslist...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 14, 2006 01:17PM
cool thanks for checking Ras D
February 14, 2006 01:32PM
mebbe I got one mor possibility still...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 14, 2006 01:58PM
nice that is what I like to hear.
February 14, 2006 02:39PM
I intern at the crystal and do a radio show..

i have gotten over 50 calls and e mails about tickets..

starting about 3 weeks ago

i dont know of any
someone told me that they were selling them on the internet for 50 bucks.

man

sorry
blessings

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
February 14, 2006 05:09PM
i hailed up his press agent to do a interview on the radio but no luck. seems like just the other day he was playing at Dante's for $5.00.
February 14, 2006 07:00PM
Wow - amazing what a little MTV exposure can do for a tour! Good luck Ninja
February 15, 2006 06:42AM
Change,

that is what I am saying. I have no idea how this explosions has happened. I think it is that he has been touring seemingly non stop since that Dante's show. This is his 3rd show in P Town and I think he also played out at the Sasquatch festival as well. I missed the Dante's show and the Alladin was sold out so I am going to try to see this before they have him filling up the Rose garden at this rate. Peace.
February 15, 2006 07:50AM
he's blown up fast because he's been given the straight shot to the top. he's on mtv and he's on commercial radio BIGTIME. i know because i hear him every single day, multiple times. it wasn't until about a week ago that i even knew to put his name to the tunes i was hearing--then i cracked up. i have completely reserved comment on him since i haven't seen or heard him (i thought). and i didn't realize i was dissing him until someone told me who it was. but after listening to commercial radio at work for 1.5 years now, i made the comment about a month ago that i was disgusted with all the pseudo-reggae on pop radio. my boss asked me what i meant, and i said--well, like this crap here, it's like reggae-lite. (i said something like that.) there are more sublime-ish sounding reggae-pop tunes than i thought, and i just shared that it was too bad that the real deal doesn't get this kind of support, whatsoever. that was when i learned it was matisyahu that i was hearing all the time. good for him for doing his works and succeeding, but i won't be buying any of his tunes, i know that. and i am honestly glad that i waited to discover for myself my own opinion on his music. i wish him well, it's just that i wish for so many better reggae artists, struggling down a yard, to do as well.

because i work for mcmenamins, who own the crystal ballroom, i will be getting in to the show. i would honestly give my 2 tix to you ninja, but you would need my i.d.; i checked to see for you, and i can't give them away (hell, they were a favor to get when i didn't know who he was). hopefull the show will be a fun, reggae-lite time.

m.

February 15, 2006 10:16AM
thanks for the though mosquito. I don't think it is supposed to be roots reggae music. Got No Water is my favorite track. heavy on Original Teachings that is why he has gianed my ear. Nuff Rasta stray from the Torah and infuse their own culture into the overstandings. I see nothing wrong with forwarding your own culture and teachings. I like him cause he doesn't sound like anyone. He has his own style. I can see why some people don't like his style, I just don't get the sell out, reggae lite sort of attitude. He sings Hasidic Reggae there is not standard for this so I assume he is the standard. He is not rasta nor does he claim to be. I find it refreshing to hear someone say that Ganja is not the path for the youth cause most youth shouldn't be somking in the first place. In the words of the Mouse. I DOOOONNNN'TTTTT SMMMOOOOKKKEEE TO GEETT HIIIIIGGHHHHH!!!!! Nuff youth smoke to "feel better" and never read Torah or Scripture, They never overstand the history of Rastafari Dispora nor the 12 Tribes of Isreal. They never put two and two together. I think one reason Matis has started to explode is because he is blessed. Some may think that this is naive and I am sure there are all type of thoughts about how the Jew's control the media and that is why, but he seems to be genuine and blessings come to those who are genuine. Eveyone is entitled to like who they will and not be bashed for it I can dig that. I hope he puts on a wicked live show, I have heard that he does. I hope you get a chance, as do I to see it and form a more informed opinion after that. Peace
jb welda
February 15, 2006 11:13AM
youre quoting eek a mouse as a cultural resource now ninja?

eek

one love
jah bill
February 15, 2006 11:16AM
ras danny, u r a top ranking portland-er in my book...way cool...

yu know why i am saying dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
February 15, 2006 11:24AM
I've seen him live and I think, imho, that his live duz not even come close ta wha I hear on his cd...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 15, 2006 11:29AM
quoting a truth, you and I both know about 80% of the people who are smokin herb need not be smoking herb.
February 15, 2006 11:30AM
my opinion isn't necessarily informed because i've only heard a couple of tracks, but again, i felt like my opinion was not tainted or influenced in any way by everything i've been reading about him, good and bad, since i didn't even know he was the artist whose music i kept hearing that i thought was more pop than reggae. and i am not saying "sell out" about him or his music, but i am saying it is reggae-lite material. very much so. this is not because he isn't singing dread or rasta lyrics--it's about the music. musically, it sounded like pop crossing over into reggae, not even the other way around. definitley not straight up reggae. that is about all i'm saying. i hope the show is good too. and i don't mean to sound harsh if i do. i honestly can respect an artist for his own craft and style, it is just not for me. clearly, it is just fine for others. different strokes for different strokes. just not authentic enough for me personally. just because the band can keep a one drop doesn't mean they'll sound authentic, know what i mean? and i'm glad you find something in his craft to take away and also get inspiration from.

m.

February 15, 2006 11:45AM

> quoting a truth, you and I both know about 80% of the people who are smokin herb need not be smoking herb.

Quite the contrary..I would argue that 80% of the people who are not smoking herb need to burn some ganja..and quick!!

February 15, 2006 11:47AM
no need to justify what you were saying I totally agree. That is why I think that it is important to note that this is NOT rootse reggae. It is more like a cross between Jam Band/Hip Hop/Dance Hall/Roots. Kind of hard to describe, but most def. NOT Roots Reggae. Now remember Mosquito, if you come across a ways or a means to get your brother in let me know. Peace
February 15, 2006 12:06PM
Ninja..

Check this link..

[portland.craigslist.org]

Watch for fresh listings to come up, as Craigs List is updated all throughout the day.

If Ras D and MK can't get you in with the KBOO/McMinis connect, its gonna be tough. Good Luck. Respect, MK
February 15, 2006 12:14PM
Comeon ladies and gents, lovers,

Can't someone throw Ninjacat a bone. Nuff Raspects, lion, hope the eye meks the show! Amazing how the industry can run tings.(MTV, etc) Big up all them artists with independent labels. Grassroots must grow! On the other hand if $$$ was your mission???

Mosquito, what's the Mitz. tune/s on pop-reggae stations that's getting the airplay? I come from hearing live shows as Brethren allows freedom to the masses of the nightly message. Check

[www.archive.org]

For that alone I give huge props to Matisyahu. So I've been turned on to his live, before the studio. I've occasssionally caught a CD tune at a party and was also surprised that was he. So far I agree with Ras Danny:

"I've seen him live and I think, imho, that his live duz not even come close ta wha I hear on his cd..."

His studio hits do sound nice, the very few times I've heard them, but most of the live shows go more Jam Band than I'm looking for in I reggae. I love lyrics and I give him raspects there, especially inna hiphopstyle, but most of the show doesn't attract I attention. Again I like lyrics and I love where the idren goes. Also like Ninja agree herb intake is not for every eye and it's nice to hear brethren rap about it.

I also have no TV, so can one-eye tell i which songs are on the tele?

Nuff love to these irie eyes,
ic

PS - I also call out all reggae messengers, singers AND players of instruments, that if the eyes have a calling to spread Jah message pon the globe then PLEASE free up recording of live shows. Give permission for we to set up recording gear and spread the nightly vibes far and wide. Your rewards will be great!
February 15, 2006 12:33PM
i'm not at all sure on the titles of his tunes. i heard the dj say something about a king/crown, i think, the other i have no idea. i don't pay that close of attention at all. unless of course, like right now, i've got a cd in. right now i'm catching some congos from their cd "congo ashanti", earlier it was i wayne's "lava ground". reggae my way.

and ninja, yes you describe them just right! i will try one more email to see about getting you in, but i'm almost embarrased to go there...but for you i will : )

m.
ps--ninja, were you at zach's party a couple months ago? maybe we met without introductions...over near the vaporizer...we chatted briefly and inhaled deeply...

bun
February 15, 2006 12:48PM
haven't seen the ninja for a while. heard big things a gwan tho. big up to you and yours if jacob didn't pass the word.
February 15, 2006 12:50PM
no I missed it, I heard it was live. I assume you are talking aobut the one right around thanksgiving? I missed my hchance to be vaporized, I had to do some driving and it was best to keep my lid on. Peace.
Translucent
February 15, 2006 01:02PM
My 2 cents on Matisyahu: Respect due! Big up to all forwarding Jah message, and from the very little that i've seen/heard of him, that's his works (at least through the instrument of music). Since I dont listen to radio, I first learned about Matisyahu here, but as always, I didnt allow others opinon to influence my own and waited to listen to his music firsthand. Coincidentaly, the day after I first heard of him here, my brother-in-law (who dosent listen to reggae and never owned a reggae cd before) walked in my house all excited with Matisyahu's album in hand asking me if I had heard of "...this great reggae singer...". I said "no but lets check it right now". My reggae being roots, I did not dig it, but appreciated why he and so many others do. Above all, I was pleased with the lyrics that I could overstand, and forwarded my brother-in-law taste for his music and suggested he paid attention to the lyrics, pointing out as I have in the past, that reggae is a music style with a crucial message, and that though Mat's reggae wasn't "traditional" reggae, his lyrics seemed to live up to that.

My opinion on why he has exploded is a combination of the support from MTV/radio stations and the public taste for pop, whether be rock, rap or reggae. Now, of course, the fact that pop-style is always what MTV/ radio stations feed the masses has a deep influence on the public taste. It's a cyclical thing.

Idrens in this board have mentioned the positive factor of having Shaggy at SNWMF being that people who come to see him maybe (and perhaps likely) will be turned on to the whole of reggae. How much more true to Matisyahu is that?;considering that Mat's style and lyrics are much closer to the spirit of reggae than Shaggy.

4IVA 4WARD
Maconha
Translucent
February 15, 2006 01:22PM
Yes IC, it's nice to see some reasoning over the use of herb. I feel that because of its benefits, many idrens get caught in the idea that everyone should use it and that its a positive thing to do everyday/all day. In truth, no form of dependence is positive, even when to a positive thing, whether be a loved one or a healing herb. Life is indeed enhanced by experiences here and there, but the ultimate experience is that of freedom. Life itself should be self-fulfilled and free from all things, whether be money or herb. The true healing of the nation is JAH!

Jah first & foremost
Maconha
February 15, 2006 02:07PM
> If Ras D and MK can't get you in with the KBOO/McMinis connect, its gonna be tough

what he seh!

but deh ALWAYS da last chance effort--> stand outside da venue, early on, an ask EVRYBUDDY wha come 'long fi "extra tickets?" ... dis how a whole heap a scalpers dweet... an dem usually pay LESS than face value!, (then a course, turn rite roun an sell fi HUGE mark-up) but if ya hav da will, dat is A way...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 15, 2006 02:28PM
hey ninjacat!

you WILL be able to get into the matisyahu show, now i just need to figure my side of things out. you will need to go in with me, but we can figure the details out later. you won't need a ticket, but it will cost you a couple of beers : )

yaaay! i love it when a story has a nice, feel-good ending.

m.

February 15, 2006 03:15PM
nice mosquito

well. can there be some official meeting spot or something because we will never find eachother in that mad house

February 15, 2006 03:19PM
BIG UP MOSQUITO!! YES I, let me know what I got to do and I am down, a couple of beers is nothing my friend that is a solid Oregon Thank YOU!!!
February 15, 2006 03:26PM
well, i just need to figure out what i'm doing beforehand, who i'm heading out with and when--that kind of thing. i'll get back to you with more information as we get closer to show time!

and ninja, i'm glad i could help. it feels nice to make someone happy. i had a feeling i could work this out if i really put forth the effort. after 18 years on the boo and 10 years with the company, i'd hope so!

and i'm looking forward to meeting you finally!

m.

February 15, 2006 03:34PM
Yes I brother. Zach you going? Change? Ras D, I know you will be there like him or not.
February 15, 2006 03:52PM
Probably have to miss that one, no cash or clout here.

I bet it will be a great show tho!

Ya'll should meet up over here before the show.

Ninja, bring some pictures.
February 15, 2006 04:15PM
xacto--i'd be totally into that. i gotta see what thursday is up to, we might go together...
did you get my message trying to link up last weekend? how's sat or sunday looking for me to come say hi to the family and hang out a bit??? lemme know! i'll bring that leroy brown, and anything else you might want to check for...

m.

bun
February 15, 2006 04:36PM
Hey MK, I'll shoot you an email...
February 15, 2006 04:57PM
i'd love to go but no ticket. i'll see him play in Long Beach and SD this weekend. love to hang with the portland massive but not sure how to get in and not feeling the scalper biz. saw him play at Dante's and the Aladdin so it's all good. big up all portland crew! reggae revelation is on 1450am kpsu not 94.7 NRK :-)

sc
February 15, 2006 05:14PM
man I miss all the P-town crew but I'll be up the second week of Apr. so see ya then and I missed Zach's partysad smiley
remember ninga ---if there's a will there's a way!
bun
February 15, 2006 06:10PM
yow change, have fun at the marley festivals.

wish I was goin'!
February 15, 2006 06:17PM
well, Ninj, I'll be outside flyerin fi Dezarie/Ikahba da nex week at Berbati's... dats as close I gwaan get probly... anyway, I'll be wid Change dis weeken in LB & SD...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 15, 2006 08:31PM
"see like an ancient memory, remember how tings used to be, close your eyes and breath in the sense of freedom...man come cross the sea to the land of milk and honey"

His lyrics are growing on me- the music may be kinda generic and boring, but his lyrics are potent!
February 15, 2006 10:28PM
pdx

February 16, 2006 06:47AM
Hashem rules the world and Israel is his wife
Love you yes my G-d with all my heart my soul and my might
When I feel you by my side yes I'm flying like a kite
You open up my eyes and give me sight
Super energized and everyday I feel you give me life
I seen the ways of the world intoxifying on pride
Young man don't you know drugs impurify your mind
When Israel left mitzrayim four fifths got left behind
If you got no water how you gonna survive
Roots lead you to the well springs so you could stay alive
Pharaoh claimed to be a G-d and claimed to make the Nile
A crocodile could smile and show his teeth
You could see beauty shining externally but that's the story of Greece
Inside America bleeds, Israel won't you get up from your knees
Its just lies in disguise Torah's truth won't you please realize
Given to the humble one on Mt. Sinai

Chorus

Shma Y'sroel, Hashem Elokainu, Hashem Echad
(Hear Israel, the lord is our G-d, the lord is one)
February 16, 2006 02:41PM
r u a heb too ninja?

February 16, 2006 03:03PM
no, I am a believer in the One G-d of Isreal and the Nazerene. Mr. Matis and I do not have the same system of beliefs, yet the foundation is one in the same. I can celebrate the foundation cause I realise without it there would be no shelter.
February 16, 2006 03:15PM
i hear that

just wondering i guess
i have met more jewish people out here than i did growing up in NYC, a surpirse to me.

bless

jb welda
February 16, 2006 03:17PM
while you may think it is real its actually "Israel".

thank you

ps: its also portland and not protland but since youve only made that mistake once i assume that one is a typo; but you consistently spell "Israel" incorrectly so i thought you might gain from some ital correction.

one love
jah bill
February 16, 2006 03:21PM
you are correct I get excited. I suppose though it is beatter to spell incorrectly than be a pretentious piece of ****.
February 16, 2006 03:22PM
did I spell piece of **** right?
February 16, 2006 03:47PM
empress love, i did not know that portland had a huge jewish population.
jb welda
February 16, 2006 03:59PM
youre welcome, dork.

btw you spelled "pretentious" correctly but fell down on "better".

beatter luck next time.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
February 16, 2006 06:22PM
by the way ninja, im at a loss as to why you get so aggro about every other day.

i think its about time you go outside and go for a walk or something. life is too short star.

one love
jah bill
February 16, 2006 08:58PM
I'm interested to see Matis at the Raggamuffins' festival. I bought Live at Stubbs but I haven't gotten into it much. Like was said above, not roots. My 17-year daughter borrowed the cd 'cause she is into it. First time that has happened because she is not into reggae. Seems like his promoters put him into a reggae slot for marketing purposes because that was the closest fit to his potential audience. Can't see him gaining much cred in the rap bins at the record store. His upful lyrics fit with our positive vibes. My jewish, good-student, non-smoker daughter looking for something hip to get into and Matis fits that bill. Hey doesn't have to be my thang to widen the audience. Always looking for more people to explore reggae music. I've been listening for several decades and feel like just scratching the surface. Why I come to the board. Learn and the light shines bright.
jb welda
February 16, 2006 09:59PM
so, moski killer, what did you think?

by the way what did you think of that coxsone/festus cd i sent you?

beat matisyahu by a mile i bet

one love
jah bill
February 16, 2006 10:35PM
hey jb!

the matisyahu show isn't until 2/26...

yes, killer stuff. and it's fun stuff to listen to in a very different way than i am used to, you know? i'm envious that you've seen and heard the man rodigan do his thing. i keep hoping someday.

m.
ps--heard matisyahu couple times again today, but alas, no cornell campbell, linval thompson or big youth...

jb welda
February 16, 2006 10:40PM
oh, for some reason i thought it was last night. not paying attention i guess.

yes i like that cd more each time i listen to it; im probably on about my fifth listen or so and those dubplates sound better each time. the one thing that really gets me is when they (festus i think) says: well all our real favorites we cant play because they are all worn out! i thought you would get a kick out of it so i included it with whatever else it was i was sending.

ps keep hoping for rodigan at snwmf 06.

one love
jah bill
February 17, 2006 06:14AM
yes bill, i did very much appreciate the extra cd and thoughtfulness; i thought i thanked you for them, but see that my social skills must be waning. so indeed a heartfelt thanks, they're quite enjoyable, exactly like you say. and i am definitley hoping on the rodigan score. (also for bob andy/michael prophet/earl 16/max romeo!!!)

i don't have high hopes or expectations musically for the matisyahu concert, but i am hoping for a nice time amongst friends...the crytsal ballroom is such a beautiful venue.

m.

February 17, 2006 06:29AM
> m.
ps--heard matisyahu couple times again today, but alas, no cornell campbell, linval thompson or big youth...

as Benjamin Zephaniah would seh :: Ya lissenin to the WRONG radio station... lol

Malcom, deh was a great article on Matis in a issue of the Dead-head mag Relix, bout a year ago, seh so dat one a his big influences ta go inna reggae vein was.... no kiddin:: SIZZLA

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 17, 2006 06:42AM
JB, you catch me at the wrong time of day. corporations tend to put a strain on you and by the end of the day one is likely to become postal. We go way back so I am sure you will understand, you may be a piece of sh*t, but you are my piece of sh*t.

Top Matis Cuts IMO

Aish Tamid
Refuge
Got No Water
Lord Raise Me Up
February 17, 2006 07:23AM
i didnt know portland had a big jew pop either, but it seems to... or i just seem to be a jew magent

blesss

February 17, 2006 07:42AM
> ...by the end of the day one is likely to become postal...

while not a "corporation" in my case it would be "coastal" (as opposed to "postal"winking smiley as the company name is Coast Cutlery...

headin down ta Cali, Cali...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 17, 2006 07:46AM
Enjoy, tell change The Cat says what's up. Travel safe.
February 17, 2006 08:24AM
yeah big up cat! long time hope everything cool.
jb welda
February 17, 2006 08:52AM
michele since you bring up cornel campbell have you heard that recent one on kingston sounds/jamaican recordings...my destination?

that company gets a lot of crap from the purists for supposedly modern overdubs or something but this release is so solid. i loved every track on it and ive probably listened to it at least a half dozen times. clean and clear maybe a bit of overdub or modern day clean up but i heartically recommend it if you havent gotten it yet.

one love
jah bill
February 17, 2006 09:24AM
it is all good, have a new little girl to look after. frightening! Hope you enjoy your time.
February 17, 2006 10:25AM
big up, bill! i do NOT have this but shall definitely pick it up, it coming so haile recommended by yourself! too bad i didn't know a couple days ago--i'm looking forward to an ernie b package arriving today.

m.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login