Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vivid Pics of Slaves on SLave Ship..Circa 1868

Posted by BG 
BG
Vivid Pics of Slaves on SLave Ship..Circa 1868
February 14, 2006 06:10PM

Indian Ocean: East African slaves taken aboard the Dutch HMS
Daphne from a Arab dhow, 1 November 1868.

These photographs dated 1868 reveals a very little of the terrible suffering caused to millions of people by the slave trade. This group of severely emaciated boys and young men on the lower deck of a Royal Naval ship apparently have been taken from what was a slave vessel trading illegally off the African coast headed to the Americas. The captain of the Royal Naval ship had instructions not to return the rescued slaves to the place on the coast where they had been put on the slave ship (presumably because they were in danger of being recaptured by traders) but it is not clear from the available documentation what happened to them afterwards.
The Indian Ocean Slave trade evolved around the Indian Ocean basin. Slaves were taken from mainland East Africa and sold in markets in the Arabian Peninsula and the Persian Gulf. In contrast to the trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, the Indian Ocean Slave Trade was much older dating back from at least the second century C.E. until the early twentieth century. For example, the oldest written document from the East Africa Coast, the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, describes a small trade in slaves around the second century C.E. Notice the physical features of the Arabs.
Re: Vivid Pics of Slaves on SLave Ship..Circa 1868
February 14, 2006 06:20PM
and the sad part is,... it is still going on in 2006
papa ray
February 14, 2006 07:36PM
Literal pictures of Babylon System....as I understand(and more knowlegable
linguists than moi can refute this), one of the words in Amharic for 'Arab'
literally translates to 'slave-driver'...
BG
February 14, 2006 08:49PM
wow, surprising to not see anybody touching on this. I was BLOWN AWAY when i 1st saw these pics 2 days ago. Never have i ever seen anything quite like them, as in...actual photos of ships, human cargo and even arab slave traders.
that'd be something i bet the african sudanese would agree with you on papa ray. If that is indeed what the word means, pretty eye opening.
February 14, 2006 09:44PM
I've seen too much- since I was 8 years old in 3'rd grade history these type of photos have made me sick. The photos of my family in Indonesia during WW2 make these look tame. The Bataan Death March photos are even another level of filth and disgust. Equal rights and justice are fantasies of many that hopefully will be fulfilled before too long. We have sufferred at the hands of our brothers and sisters since the beginning of time. It must stop. Like we have all been told, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Rise up brothers and sisters to set the captives free!!!
February 14, 2006 09:54PM
I havnt attempted ta seh anything as words cannot describe how these images strike mi inna heart an soul...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
BG
February 14, 2006 09:58PM
Zeen....fully appreciated Ras Danny & Tahoearmada. Thought the breddrins, I-drens & fellow like minds should see this.
February 14, 2006 10:15PM
true ting ras danny...
February 14, 2006 11:58PM
;-(

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
February 15, 2006 12:48AM
I really can't find the words to express the sadness these images invoke. Even more reason to look for the love in the day and pass it on.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
Yabby You fan
February 15, 2006 01:05AM
I'm with Ras Danny, as studying these pics I can't even begin to describe how sad it makes me feel.

It's beyond comprehension to understand how somebody thought that it was actually okay to do this to people - just for the sake of making more money, which only exists on the acceptance that a piece of paper, or whatever its form, is worth something; and how this kind of thinking still exists today in one form or another. It's very touching to see the looks of defiance and strength on some of the faces, and one can only guess what's exactly going through their minds, what they have experienced up to this point of their life, and what happened to them afterward.

From studying the slave trade, and reading about it years ago from three different biography's about the French Poet Arthur Rimbaud, there appeared to be varying degrees of slavery.

Although according to the books I've read, some of the info may be somewhat different than what BG has read about the Eastern African slave trade - perhaps we'll never know for sure without actaully being there. Again, according to the books I have personally read, in East Africa, there was often at least some dignity and respect for the slaves, as for the most part they were given proper food and shelter and many of them weren't ashamed of trading work for food and shelter (although no money), especially considering the amount of poverty and famine that existed (and unfortunitely still exists). As for the Western African slave trade, well, watching the movie Roots describes most of what needs to be said about how sad that was. Kings and rulers would round up people and sell them to America until eventually people would just come in and take them. There obviously seemed to be no respect or dignity for them.

(If my mentioning of Rimbaud [whose writing between the ages of 15-19 inspired the entire Beat movement, Jim Morrison/The Doors, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc.] seems out of place on a post about slavery, this is an overall messageboard about reggae music, and so I will mention this: in 1880, he left France and wondered south, eventually arriving in Harar - present day Ethiopia. He ended up a well-known trader, trading with and corresponding with King Menelik and his first cousin, Ras Makonnen, whose son you might recognize: Ras Tafari, Emporer Haile Selassie I)

As for the people in the pics, we can only hope that they were given an opportunity at a life of freedom and dignity, and we should continue to pray that all forms of slavery and inequality will one day be gone forever. These pics are an important reminder at how important it is to love, or at leat respect, one another.

February 15, 2006 03:03AM
yabby you fan...respescx maaan...you are a very good writer, yes indeed...
Yabby You fan
February 15, 2006 07:54AM
Thanks roots-ee.

I actually revised that post about 10 times, each time taking out some info that seemed perhaps a little out of place or straying off the subject, such as some amazing insight, from personal experience, via letters that have survived from Rimbaud about both Haile Selassie's dad and the ruler of the Ethiopian area of the time, King Menelik.

I do feel the need to add a little to the amazing irony of Rimbaud (as I mentioned in the earlier post, he's the lead figure of the Beat movement, classic Rock legends, and hippies, although he left France in the first place because he despised his own writing, and that's now what his fame rests on to this day), and Selassie's dad, whose son is the lead figure of reggae music, living in the same city of Harar, in the same period of history, and only a few houses away from where Selassie would be born (Rimbaud passed several months before the birth of Selassie in 1892). The impact that both of these people have on music today is amazing, but again, a different subject that has a lot more to it...perhaps I will write a book about it since nobody else has and there's only one brief acticle written about it on the entire internet...

Back to the pics, and another thought I have as I look at them again: I feel that it's the full duty of us as human beings, to make sure that we never judge or criticize each other, to never take advantage of anybody, especially for personal benefit, and we owe it to the people, like the ones we see in these pictures, and the many others like them that have suffered so greatly over the course of human history. We owe it to these people, one day at a time, to make this a better world for everyone. Love can be the most difficult thing, but it can also be the easiest, it's up to us human beings, here and now, to make that choice.

riffy
February 15, 2006 09:06AM
Slavery - one owned and forced into service by another. One of the highest forms of inquity, and unfortunately of the oldest forms in mankinds lineage. Slavery is an act that debases humanity. After studying this subject for many years I've gleaned that slavery occurrs for many different reasons. Throughout history, famine, no beasts of burden, unstable economies, etc..add to the number of folks willing to work for a mere bowl of food, not even shelter.

At that point, people "who have" realize that the people who "do not have" are at their mercy. "Working relationships" begin to emerge and before you know it slavery manifests itself, temporarily cloaked in good will. It weaves in and out of all nearly all cultures world-wide at some point or another.

Hopefully one day people on this planet can see a permanent end to the exploitation of eachother through higher reasoning and understanding that "a life" is sacred and "not for sale" under any circumstances.

wanted ta roll my 1/5 a dime in here. The pics were a sad reminder of the human condition we often ignorantly bestow upon ourselves.

Tighten up
Riffy
HIGHPRAISE
February 15, 2006 09:28AM
Thanx!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login