Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Casbah Tea House II

Posted by The man 
The man
Casbah Tea House II
February 14, 2006 08:32PM
The Casbah Tea House is one of Tucson's few all-vegetarian restaurants. They use organic ingredients when possible.

They're located on 4th Avenue, the perfect location for this hippie/bohemian joint. There's a small coffeehouse in front, with a full restaurant in the back. The restaurant is decorated with Middle Eastern/Asian/hippie flair.

The Casbah has recently started serving breakfast, which means they are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

This place is currently one of two all-veg restaurants in Tucson. Of those two, this is the only one I go to. (Govinda's is the other, and I wouldn't recommend it for vegans.)

Casbah is a pretty funky place. My out-of-town guests love going there for the decor. The food ranges from OK to good. Not great, but good. They also have lots of yummy desserts, but recently their selection of vegan desserts has shrunk. They still always have one or two vegan desserts, but they used to carry more. Also, they have a new category, it seems, for "vegan with honey." So vegans who do not eat honey should ask about that. But why eat a carob brownie when you can try their fantastic chocolate malt milkshake with vegan ice cream and soy milk?

Enough about dessert. The lunch/dinner items are priced a little above what I think they're worth, but they use organic ingredients whenever possible, so I guess it's forgivable. The seitan fajitas are quite good, as is the chili. If you're on a budget, I recommend the "kind veggie burrito," which is simple but tasty.

Casbah is a good place to go, chill out, and unwind. Service is often very slow, sometimes sloppy, so don't go if you're in a hurry or have somewhere else you need to be soon. I feel kind of bad complaining about the service, because everyone there is so nice, but I must confess that I often will eat next door at La Indita (fantastic Mexican food) just because I don't feel like waiting 20 minutes just to get my water refilled.

The dishes aren't always spotless, and the outdoor seating can get a bit dusty (this is Tucson, after all).

But with all my minor complaints, I have still given this place an "8" rating. They do provide vegetarian and vegan food in a fun atmosphere. Kids will love the outdoor seating. And the belly dancers at night are always fun to watch. So when you've got an evening free, head over to Casbah for some veggie fajitas. You'll have fun.

Observer
Re: Casbah Tea House II
February 16, 2006 05:43AM
Greetings
This is the Casmama and I wish to welcome all One Love people to feel welcome at the Teahouse here in Tucson and on the road as we travel the festival circuit.We hope to be able to travel again this summer and we ask that you all request our presence at the events you wish to see us at. Please e-mail us with ideas for gigs .See you on the trail........www.casbahteahouse.com
Re: Casbah Tea House II
February 16, 2006 02:28PM
"Please e-mail us with ideas for gigs ."

More belly dancers at night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login