Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gregory Isaacs kills AZ.(reveiw)

Posted by Jahmeek 
Gregory Isaacs kills AZ.(reveiw)
February 17, 2006 11:00AM
YES>the famous gregory isaacs makes a big drop in the az. area!
due to another canned show in yuma area that from word almost caused a small riot of angery fans who were waiting for him to show.
>tempe thursday nite feb.16 it just b4 set time @ the venue called the club house holding about 600 people is slammed full of roots rock reggae fans.
>gregory takes stage & u hear a load crowd scream like the good ole dayz where when he was in is prime.
>the band was warming up set but warming them selves was what they seemed to be doing the whole set, i mean really this band is suppose 2B tight rite. but untill gregory iced his voice over the riddim it was not worth the high priced tickets.
>but never the less gregory did sound good* i could not beleive that he could still hold on to some of those well sung classic chunes like they where still mint.
>but as all good tings must come to a end the entire set was short lived with out really much of an encore(more like a final band jamdown*). the set was so short it seemed like they where just doing short festival type sets and diffently not worth the full price unless your just lookin' for a quik fixx on single showing..
>this event beat the record for most ever fist fights breaking out in 1 nite in arizona reggae history i tell ya* for a while their it was like 1 every 5 minutes & even a rumble had to be broken by overwelmed security in parking lot who had their work cut out for them forsure. i mean these young bossy punks r'used to some kids turning up heat@ dem place but they had no prep for full big belly indians moving sum weight arouN. not to mention they were trying to pick out smokers from crowd creating even more tension. the entire ordeal caused so much trouble for this club who really has never seen this sort of roots n' culture people packed action ,that the owner of the venue was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. threating people left & right with police arrests & such acting all bush wacked(promoters beware*).
>but all in all even with the heavy fighting the show was a success & seemed to almost gear AZ. back in the reggae field for having a serious supporting crowd once again just like old times !!! : ) : ) : )

-RASpects+
Re: Gregory Isaacs kills AZ.(reveiw)
February 17, 2006 11:06AM
waz da band Live Wyya?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
jb welda
February 17, 2006 11:17AM
jeezus...be glad youre in california land of the fruits and nuts and not in that mess there.

as bad as the brixton academy back in 82 to me only then it was pick pockets and rachet knives.

no wonder you dont get any shows there meek, cant those people just chill out? sounds like altamont east.

one love
jah bill
February 17, 2006 11:20AM
>bill i can only reply that if u cant handle drinking then dont do it!
>babylon fuel everytime*
-RASpects+

-RASpects+
Translucent
February 17, 2006 11:48AM
"...drinking...babylon fuel..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOMMM a true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
k
February 17, 2006 12:03PM
AZ is one beautifull state! y tuscon is only 30 minutes to my motherland...seeeenn!
February 17, 2006 03:32PM
It was definitely not the crowd that you typically see at reggae shows in AZ. Crowds are usually pretty mellow here. There were a lot more people than any show I've ever seen in AZ. Presale tickets sold out and there were about 200 people in line to buy tickets at the venue at 8:30. Apparently, Gregory (and opening band Uproot) have a big following among the native american population.

This was both good and bad. The audience was more familiar with and responsive to the music than I have ever seen at a show in AZ or CA. As soon as the band would start a new rhythm the crowd would burst and most everyone was singing word for word with Gregory. This was to some extent also true for Uproot. They got a huge crowd response.

The atmosphere however was very sketchy. There were many large drunk people barreling through people even in areas that weren't as crowded. There were alot of people who drank far too much liquor. I came out of the bathroom to see someone dump a garbage can over that was full of beer bottles which shattered everywhere with choas resulting. When I saw how many people came to see Uproot I was hoping that AZ promoters would take note and book them to open for national acts to fill up venues. After seeing what type of crowd they brought I hope to God that doesn't happen.

Yes, Live Wya was backing. They were announced as something like the number 1 band out of Jamaica. They proceeded to play (poorly) an entire set of Tosh, Wailers, and Bunny songs before Gregory came on. I was not impressed.
February 17, 2006 08:17PM
I hate to say it but because of that crap he's been smoking, he's in no shape or form physicaly to do long sets as he used to. Not to mention the weazing sound of his voice. Last time a saw a show if his, which was a couple of yrs ago, he did only a 45 minute set and byt the time he was done, he was like a fish out of water catching his last breath When he and Eek a Mouse plays in Santa Cruz, they draw a large crowd of Watsonville and Salinas gangbangers.
March 13, 2006 05:53AM
Hi there

Now I know the Live Wyya band by rep and also seen them preform numerous times. I'm shocked by you ever saying they preformed anything less than perfectly. You must be the minority because I know they toured the entire country and many people I know saw the shows.

At all the venues the comments of the quality in their music was rich and beefy, complimentary to Gregory's weakening voice. One thing we shouldn';t do is slam down the reputation of people on the up and coming for one preformance YOU thought was not up to scratch. Check out the big picture next time small fish.

Your comments will be taken into a/c when I speak to the boys later.

Until then, stay possitive peeps.. there's not enough of this kind of stuff to run it down, get me??

Jazzi xx

Peace!
March 13, 2006 06:30AM
Live Wyya was HUGE in Long Beach an San Diego last month, tight work by well talented youth. I got a cd from dem dat shows many styles. Richie B stated dat dem had cut short a Euro tour to participate in a "battle of the bands" format, coming in 8th!!! outta 40+ groups... dats an accomplishment...

Personally, I'd seh dem perform much more admirably than cool ruler...

Jazzy, dat U? King Jazzy?

Post Edited (03-13-06 06:54)

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 13, 2006 08:25AM
live wyya killed it here ... people were mentioning them more than gregory almost
March 13, 2006 08:34AM
Live wire band was well tight with nuff boom bass @ Santa Cruz Dayz...unfortunately it made Gregory's vocals sound even tinnier & reedier by comparison...but at least GI strutted his stuff as in days of old, and he stayed in key which is more than I can say for Matis...
March 23, 2006 05:13AM
Jazzi wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Now I know the Live Wyya band by rep and also seen them preform
> numerous times. I'm shocked by you ever saying they preformed
> anything less than perfectly. You must be the minority because
> I know they toured the entire country and many people I know
> saw the shows.
>
> At all the venues the comments of the quality in their music
> was rich and beefy, complimentary to Gregory's weakening voice.
> One thing we shouldn';t do is slam down the reputation of
> people on the up and coming for one preformance YOU thought was
> not up to scratch. Check out the big picture next time small
> fish.
>
> Your comments will be taken into a/c when I speak to the boys
> later.
>
> Until then, stay possitive peeps.. there's not enough of this
> kind of stuff to run it down, get me??
>
> Jazzi xx
>
> Peace!
March 23, 2006 05:27AM
Hi Ras Danny

No it is not king Jazzy.
Glad to hear positive things from you about the Live Wyya band.

Gregory is a legend, he's made his mistakes but his achievements can't be taken away from him. His material from the past is second to none. No matter what he's done during or after, we should just think about his music.

Live Wyya are quality, hard working, dedicated and driven. Yes people are talking about them more than Gregory and no disrespect to Gregory, as i've said before but he's had his time. This is the time for the new generation of reggae artists and that you will get from Live Wyya. All the quality of the past but in the present, with a modern edge.

Their journey hasn't just started but internationally it is young, big them up to the massives and support them, huge things to come.

One love

Jazzi x

All your comments have been passed on directly.

Check out the website www.livewyya.com
March 23, 2006 07:39AM
live wire brought out a lot of peter tosh still music ,that realy sounds good to the ear bassis was wicked youths playing like there's no tomorrow good band.
Jah Rich
March 23, 2006 09:20AM
good discussion-

Gregory and Live Wiya killed it inna Boston recently. Check my review:

[cybermessageboard.bizland.com]
March 23, 2006 09:47AM
I second all the coments made by jazzistewart & I will also add to it.I have been very fortunate to see live LIVE WYYA band preform in jamaica and in london .
Niceup yes Live Wyya is Jamaica no 1 band they are huge in jamaica and spreading their wings to other parts of the world inc Japan and the americas,niceup you must have been very high on you know not to apreciate Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer songs,I am suprise you know what Live Wyya band played, were you there?
Ras Danny
Live Wyya is huge I was proud to be at the Battle of the bands in london, LIVE WYYA preformance was second to none, they cane 8th in the world, that was something and they were robbed of the 1st place even the band that won which was Ireland said LIVE WYYA should have won.
We need more Reggae supporters to be more positive to the good clean hard working bands like LIVE WYYA.
Legend Gregory hand over to the young and able.

Live Wyya is the future.

Nuff respect
Yvette xxxxxx
Jazzi wrote:

> Hi Ras Danny
>
> No it is not king Jazzy.
> Glad to hear positive things from you about the Live Wyya band.
>
>
> Gregory is a legend, he's made his mistakes but his
> achievements can't be taken away from him. His material from
> the past is second to none. No matter what he's done during or
> after, we should just think about his music.
>
> Live Wyya are quality, hard working, dedicated and driven. Yes
> people are talking about them more than Gregory and no
> disrespect to Gregory, as i've said before but he's had his
> time. This is the time for the new generation of reggae
> artists and that you will get from Live Wyya. All the quality
> of the past but in the present, with a modern edge.
>
> Their journey hasn't just started but internationally it is
> young, big them up to the massives and support them, huge
> things to come.
>
> One love
>
> Jazzi x
>
> All your comments have been passed on directly.
>
> Check out the website www.livewyya.com
March 23, 2006 09:48AM
I second all the coments made by jazzistewart & I will also add to it.I have been very fortunate to see live LIVE WYYA band preform in jamaica and in london .
Niceup yes Live Wyya is Jamaica no 1 band they are huge in jamaica and spreading their wings to other parts of the world inc Japan and the americas,niceup you must have been very high on you know not to apreciate Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer songs,I am suprise you know what Live Wyya band played, were you there?
Ras Danny
Live Wyya is huge I was proud to be at the Battle of the bands in london, LIVE WYYA preformance was second to none, they cane 8th in the world, that was something and they were robbed of the 1st place even the band that won which was Ireland said LIVE WYYA should have won.
We need more Reggae supporters to be more positive to the good clean hard working bands like LIVE WYYA.

Live Wyya is the future.

Nuff respect
Yvette xxxxxx
Jazzi wrote:

> Hi Ras Danny
>
>
>
>
>
> things to come.
>
> One love
>
> Jazzi x
>
>
March 23, 2006 10:31AM
Ras Danny

Live Wyya is the future.

Nuff respect
Yvette xxxxxx
Jazzi wrote:

> Hi Ras Danny
>
>
>
>
>
> things to come.
>
> One love
>
> Jazzi x
>
>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login