Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF Radio

Posted by Spliff Smoker 
SNWMF Radio
June 14, 2004 10:03AM
Why isn't there a low watt radio thing goin on in SNWMF? At ROTR there was always a radio station that played the music being performed. Why doesn't SNWMF get a low watt radio transmiter that broadcasts far enough for only those at the festival and campsite to pick up. It is nice because you can listen to what is going on at the show while you are in camp chillin.
dirtweed
Re: SNWMF Radio
June 14, 2004 10:12AM
i dont' get it. you pay $100 to go to festival to stay in campground and listen to music on the radio. man - that's waaaay too much spliff smokin. you have an opportunity to see legends of reggae perform live. i don't get it.
starcongo
June 14, 2004 10:23AM
you know wuts good about it you could thanks for given me a thought, record it somehow. iffa doesnt come out on cd.
June 14, 2004 10:30AM
Dirtweed,

Ha ha ha. Well said

One love
eric v
June 14, 2004 11:15AM
The radio thing is a good idea - I've used the one at ROTR many times - and a few times it has helped rally the masses (HEY - WE ARE MISSING THE CONGOS - LET'S GO!) - plus it's really cool when like 20 radios in the vicinity are all tuned into the same channel...not sure how you would do it with 2 stages though.

See you soon...
dirtweed
June 14, 2004 12:07PM
again - i don't get it. why stay in campground playing a radio?? i bet the performers really appreciate that. i have seen that waaay too often, where those who stay up all night partying then sleep until the afternoon, hang around the campsite, missing the early afternoon music. the first 2 or 3 sets on the big stage play to very few people. the performers come to snwmf hoping to showcase their talents and yet people can't roust themselves to come watch them play? i don't get it.
June 14, 2004 12:12PM
Come on now. You have never had to go back to camp to get something saw a friend and started talking. There is 3 days of music. Plus if the music was on the radio u might be more inspired to get off the ice cooler and to the stage. Just my humble opionon. No one is paying $100 for a show to listen to it on the radio. It is a supplement. (Especially if you decide to take the long walk to the lake)
It was a good idea.
June 14, 2004 12:14PM
I'm not saying spend too much time in the campground - but not everyone is in the show the entire 3 days. If you can do it - more power to ya! I know there aren't really any acts this year I don't want to see...
June 14, 2004 12:51PM
I didn't mean to start an argument about the time spent in camp, but sista sanae said it best. So why no radio station? You can get a little receiver at Radioshack for less than a hundred bucks.
June 14, 2004 01:36PM
I hope that you all sleep in...that's more skanking room for iiiiiiiiiii :^)
Zana
June 14, 2004 01:54PM
Another point of view for the radio might be for people who bring their families. Kids need naps and often times parents can't be at the stages for every show. I know I still want to come the SNWMF after I have kids and I can only imagine that they would get tired before me.
Some people just get tired from the heat and need to relax at camp too. I have a heart condition and sometimes I need to elevate my feet and just relax. It is hard work having so much fun.
I can't imagine missing any of the shows either dirtweed but not all are alike. Its all good.
Sis April
June 14, 2004 02:10PM
It's about
RECORDING THE SHOW
not missing the show.
jb welda
June 14, 2004 03:29PM
so smoker you seem to have a bit of a misunderstanding here:

a) a "receiver" is not going to transmit a radio frequency, a transmitter does that.

b) they may well have radio transmitters at radio shack but ive never seen them. and hopefully they will work better than typical radio shack crap

c) you need to get fcc approval for even a low power station these days i believe

d) all this takes time and money...i am assuming you are donating both.

e) soundboard patches or other means of getting a signal to broadcast is another problem requiring money and time to solve.

if the above is understood and agreed to, contact me and we can maybe set something up with your money and time.

ps: its not about recording the show because, like at rotr, they usually make a point to interrupt every song with a break or something to spoil the recording. something like that (broadcast and potential recording) breaks the contract with the artist unless it is specifically put into said contract. there are other ways of getting recordings of the show that are not quite so problematic.

how do i know all this? experience is a good teacher.

one love
jah bill
TR-808
June 14, 2004 03:43PM

i actually liked ROTR Radio when i was going to that show.

but that happens in an area that supports the idea of that radio happening, and is sort of grandfathered in.

no way does that fly in cowboy country, especially under Asscroft.
June 14, 2004 07:27PM
I got to admit it was very nice to be able to relax at camp and tune in at Reggae on the River, but I think Jah Bill has several good points, it's not as easy at it sounds. My thought if it is something that could be made to happen I'd rather hear 20 or more camp radios tuned into fest station, it would be a lot better than people camped next to you blasting Fleetwood Mac instead of reggae or ragga or world vibes, which I think is the main reason we keep coming back to celebrate at SNWMF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login