Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

misty in roots in santa cruz? any reports?

Posted by roots-ee 
misty in roots in santa cruz? any reports?
February 24, 2006 06:47AM
thanks,
one peace roots-ee
Re: misty in roots in santa cruz? any reports?
February 24, 2006 07:44AM
Roots-ee,

They played pretty early, so I missed all of their set except the last two songs.

They sounded great and were well recieved by a young crowd who had come out to see Matisyahu and Gentleman.

What little of their set I heard was even stronger than the performance I saw in Long Beach last year. I promise I'll go into SF early to catch their full set.

Santa Cruz Dayz was a major success, with top performances turned in by all performers and a hyped sell out crowd.

Vibez were nice....Respect, MK

February 24, 2006 08:06AM
Like they say Mike.... You snooze, you lose. Last night was something very special for me, getting to see a band that was my favorite roots band for decades perform at the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium. Last time I was in that venue was to see another 'super-star' - Bob Marley and the Wailers. I only hope I don't have to wait for another 28 years for my next foray into SCCA.

Unfortunately, they were relegated to a 45 minute set, at least 10 minutes of which were burned getting the sound system working properly. At least you could hear the bass last night, something that was noticeably missing down in southern california.

Santa Cruz set - February 23, 2006 (34 Minutes):
True Rasta
Earth
Festa
Musi-o-Tunya
Cover Up
Dancehall Babylon
Ghetto Of The City

Poko was far more lively last night than he had been down in southern california, and the crowd was definately feeling the roots vibes. And today, MIR forward to my home town for an appearance tomorrow that is long, long overdue....
levi-t
February 24, 2006 08:25AM
MK-

At least you didn't get banished/edited...
Jahsprey
February 24, 2006 08:29AM
MIR played a high energy, very loud, brassy set. They had a much shorter slot than Gentlemen and Matisyahu, who followed. They seemed to have a few technical issues up front, on the startup, but they hit it hard when the bass was finally dialed in. Strong horns and a tight delivery. Good vocals.

The crowd was receptive, and respectful, but really young. For me, MIR was the highlight of the night, but then I was actually born when these guys peaked in the late 70's. Seems like most songs were from Roots controller, Musi o Tunya and Ghetto of the City were top notch.

My mental MIR setlist was shredded by the Far East Band (Good) and Matisyahu (pretty good at times, but he's got serious vocal limitations) and then pounded into pulp by Gregory Isaac's bassman. Gentlemen was tearing it up. Matis had the greatest crowd response IMO. Gregory sounded old, I split before he finished.

I definitely want to see MIR play a long set outside in the sun (perhaps at SNWMF?), sandwiched between some classic roots reggae bands, not jammed before the trend-bands.

Peace
February 24, 2006 09:32AM
Yeah, BIG UP to Dan of Good Vibez entertainment and Moss for bringing forward the santa cruz dayz festival. And the music continues tonight, allbeit in a little different style....

My monitor is still messed up. All these images are nearly black on my side, but hopefully the others will get a better view...

Getting a photo of lead singer Poko with his eyes open is no easy feat....

CaliRoots
February 24, 2006 09:34AM
my experience with the event was the worst i've ever had. i won a ticket to the show on a local radio station 10 days ago. but, when i got to the box office, i was told that my name wasn't on the list. as i talked to the dj when i won the ticket last tuesday, i confirmed my first and last name and the date of the show. he said, "yeah, we got you for a single ticket, not a plus-one, for the thursday show... the reggae one." i said, "great, thanks very much... i love your station, bless up!" a few minutes later, i heard him say on the air congratulations to me for winning the ticket.

so, as i heard that tickets were selling out, i reminded my younger brother and friends to go grab their tickets soon. figuring i was already set with my ticket i didn't bother buying one. big mistake i guess.

so back to last night.... the people working the box office were very nice and called the radio station, but were told that it's up to the promoter at this point. as i waited around the box office for an hour and half trying to see if they could work something out with the promoter, i saw him shuffle at least one friend through a side door. all the other people i saw who were in a similar situation as me (not on the list even though they were supposed to be) were also eventually let in the show. i don't know if he was made aware of my situation, but i was told that he was. nevertheless, nothing was ever worked out, and i was SOL.

you know, it's not as though i'm a cheapskate and was trying to get something for free. i am certainly capable of paying for my concert tickets, just didn't think i needed to buy one if i had already won one. unlike the 50+ people i saw outside asking for extra tickets who waited too long, or whatever. i was so looking forward to seeing this show and some artists that i've never seen (matis, gentleman and MIR).

i've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shows put on by this promoter and have always been pleased with the professionalism of their shows. i also donate hundreds more to this local listener supported radio station every year.

so, sorry if this sounds like a rant... but i've just got to get it off my chest. maybe that sick feeling i have in my stomach will go away after writing this. i guess the lesson learned is that even if you win something, you should protect yourself by buying it anyway??? seems a bit ridiculous i know, but i guess it's the only guarantee.
February 24, 2006 09:43AM
greetings all, especially to trintymlk, daniel and jahsprey,

i & i invite you to click onto i & i in honor of misty in roots site -
[littlemunk.com]

and feel free to post anything you wish to re MIR -

seen? respescx,

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
February 24, 2006 09:53AM
--> (pretty good at times, but he's got serious vocal limitations)

uh huh!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 24, 2006 09:54AM
CaliRoots. So sorry to hear of your ordeal. I kept looking for you after getting shuffled in. I guess now I know why i never found you.... If you can make the trod to sf tomorrow, you'll not only get everything you were hoping to get last night, you'll get DEZARIE too!!!
February 24, 2006 09:58AM
Cali...

That is unfortunate that you had such a rough time of it last night.

I had a similar experience at Reggae in the Park, and can relate to the frustration of listening to the bands play from the curb, knowing that you are supposed to be on a list.

I can assure you that these sort of things happen all of the time with radio ticket giveaways, especially when it is a college radio station with volunteer DJs.

I'm sure you know that the radio DJs and promoters are good people who work overtime to keep the reggae scene thriving around here.

In the future, it never hurts to call the promoter the day before the show to make sure your name is on the ticket winner list. Respect, MK

jb welda
February 24, 2006 10:00AM
caliroots i would get on the phone to that dj at that radio station and let him know what happened. it could be he submitted your name and for whatever reason it was lost, but i would let him know just how disappointed you were at wasting your time like that. he may be able to comp you in to a next show if you want to take that chance again.

one love
jah bill
February 24, 2006 10:01AM
CaliRoots, as volunteer at our Listener Sponsored Non-commercial Community Radio station KBOO, and one who sometimes oversees the reggae ticket give-away promotions, I cringe when this kinda thing happens. It is a shame. some promoters here will let you in no-questions-asked when you give this kinda story, and some will not even listen to it... but if nothin else I feel that someone owes the I for this screwup... mebbe a pair a tickets to a next event by the same promoter... and I don't think ya were ranting at all, you seem very composed and respectful in ya describing the events, and things like this need to be heard by those involved because it is an image issue for dem... anybuddy lissenin' ovah deh?

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
jb welda
February 24, 2006 10:06AM
ps: the winner in this "screw the radio contest winner" business had to be maritime hall. i gave away some tickets on a show i kept one time only to have the people call me the night afterwards and tell me they were told "yes youre on the list but we wont let you in until we see if the show sells out...if it sells out we wont honor the list" or some bs like that. worse yet they were made to wait out in the rain for an hour before they were deemed worthy of entrance (a few just said screw you and left, never (presumably) to return to that place).

anyway i called the promotor whose flunkey told me that was their "standard operating procedure". i told him to not bother contacting me again because i wasnt going to promo shows where the promotor had that kind of attitude, and i got my wish. i also never went back there myself and did a little dance when i heard the guy got booted (heh) from the venue.

thats the problem with reggae shows sometimes: swell headed people think they are a big fish in a small pond.

sorry for the digression.

one love
jah bill
February 24, 2006 10:06AM
I loved MIR's all-too-short set; how often is a band like that gonna come visit little bitty Slugville? I really wanted to hear "New Day" for an encore, but they must've been pressed for time cos the MC didn't bring 'em back, tho the crowd was calling for em. They worked together great as a band; the tightness was palpable, esp. when the couple of sound bugs got worked out. Bassie was playing a Rickenbacker, of which I had one years ago & got rid of not long afterward; I always thought it had too tinny/metallic of a sound for reggae (Chris Squire the Yes's bassist used to use a quarter as a pick to make it sound even more so), but MIR bassie had no such problem; sound was full and at the right volume with the rest of the band (after the first coupla songs). Gentleman's set was sweet, the lady vocalists were a nice touch to a tight Far East band, he's got vocal skills and got the crowd going with some good energy. Matis prob. got the loudest crowd response of the night; when he dj'd the flow was nice, but when he sang he def. had pitch issues; liked his beatbox bit tho...band was talented but could've used a keyboard player, tho the gitsy worked valiantly to cover the lack of one...I noticed that one of the rabbis and the cantor from my synagogue were there, along with a fair smattering of Jewish folks...but his most ardent fans were young and Gentile as far as I could tell...I've gotta give him credit for dealing with God consciousness and not promoting slackness, violence or ganja idolization. Matis' duet w/Gentleman was a high point for me; German and Jew working together on stage, promoting love and healing...ain't that what reggae ought to be about? Gregory was, well, Gregory, I was thinking how many more chances are we gonna get to see him perform live? His voice was way reedy and nasal, a parody of its former sweetness, which was sad to hear. The crowd was very responsive and sang along to all the hits nonetheless. His band wasn't half as bad as the reports I've heard, tighter than I expected. Still, my son was getting tired so we left about halfway thru Mr Isaacs' set. All in all, we had a great time!

February 24, 2006 10:31AM
Caliroots...geez, that is a bummer, lucky you can go to SF and still see the show.

I heard of that kinda thing happening a lot...I have learned never to rely on someone else in that kinda situation, its sad but true.

For a potential sellout like that, the best thing to do is buy a ticket and then if your on the list you can probably sell the ticket you bought to you other hapless dude who "thought" he was on the list.
February 24, 2006 10:55AM
respescx to all who posted about Misty...

one peace roots-ee
levi-t
February 24, 2006 11:14AM
i was having the same string of thoughts, when gentleman went on stage with matis...

pretty strong message of solidarity.

bass was sooooooooooo heavy at times during gregory's set. the younger cat that warmed up the live-wire crew had a great voice- almost reminded me of one of the morgan family members
February 24, 2006 12:02PM
CaliRoots -
I am so sorry that you had this experience at our show last night. We had a couple issues at the box office...usually at our Vets Hall shows I'm working the door so make sure everyone who's supposed to get it does, but at the Civic we had to work with their box office staff who in my opinion didn't have much experience..... a couple times I had to go up to the box office and point out people's names to them that were on the guest list that they had denied access to....including Daniel Frankston!

So first, I'd like to get to the bottom of it and see if we did indeed get your name from a dj - so what's your name & which show & dj did you win the tix from?

We'd like to make it up to you & offer you a ticket to Saturday's show in SF. Either email me or post on here a reply and I'll take care of it.

Again, we apologize for this happening to you. We try really hard to make sure things like this do not happen because we all know how it feels to think you're on a list & then find out at the door you are not.

Thanks for everyone's patience & understanding!
February 24, 2006 12:20PM
iriea, BOOM!!! dats what I'm talkin bout! good works sis, along wit evryting else ya do!!!

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 24, 2006 12:58PM
Yeah Amy, while I was waiting in line, I saw Daniel wandering around looking for someone who could tell the box office people he was on the list...acc. to him they didn't have/couldn't find the list! Then when I got up to the window, they had a list but couldn't find my son's name on it...tho I had bought a ticket for myself, I wasn't gonna go in w/out him & he couldn't have gone in w/out me, so I was kinda stuck...finally we went around the side of the civic, hailed up you & Rocky, and finally Irie Dan himself came out & right away gave us a couple of wristbands...good of him & you to take care of that with so many other issues & logistics of keeping a show with many acts/djs running smoothly & on time...great show too, only regret is that my son missed his buds Soul Majestic...at least he got a chance to talk to a couple of them after the show...& a worlda thanks to you & Dan for comping Aaron, he loved the show & the vibe...
Benhameen
February 24, 2006 03:09PM
AARON IS THE MAN !!!!
February 24, 2006 03:13PM
caliroots,

much overstanding on your disappointment,
but enjoy the show mucho up in SF, seen?

add one more voice to the MIR posse...
( i haffi visualize one day Misty playing nearer to the late comers, right? )

one love one peace roots-ee
February 24, 2006 03:15PM
( i haffi visualize one day Misty playing nearer to the late comers, right? )

I i'll visualize your being there to witness Misty play (day or night, inside or out)!!!
February 24, 2006 06:35PM
jah know jah know...

one peace roots-ee
February 24, 2006 07:01PM
I am so happy to see MIR touring the US. Those photos were great Daniel, thanks.

"Heathen they don't praise JAH in their dance..."

-------------------------------------

Post Edited (02-24-06 19:02)
February 26, 2006 02:52PM
First I would like to thank everybody that made it out to Santa Cruz Dayz..it was a truley special night.
As for the mix-ups at the door...well i am only human and do make mistakes. I apolgize to Caliroots and anybody that did not get in. I'm not going to sit hear and make excuses about why you didn't get it in ..all I can do is offer you passes to any upcoming Good Vibez show.. e-mail me and we can work it out.
Also look for Gentleman returning sometime this year to blaze the west coast...The crew loved Santa Cruz..
D
February 26, 2006 03:44PM
and Thanks Good Vibez I am so happy it was great on Thurs. and Fri. for you guy's I had a lot of people who went down on one day or the other and all said it was awesome,, sell out's WOW!
I had to work so I was out of luck sad smiley I wanted to so badsad smiley
I will see ya for a show down there or if you can make it up here that would be so slick
you know your missed all the time so we hope to see you up here! this year!!! winking smiley
so thanks again
One Love
Allan
CaliRoots
February 28, 2006 11:03AM
Dan and Amy, thanks for your offer for an upcoming good vibez show. i wasn't able to read this message until today as i was out of town over the weekend. so, i wouldn't have been able to make the sf show anyway. i'm not sure where the "ball got dropped" so to speak, but i'm not really concerned with putting the blame on anyone. KZSC has always been good to me in the past, and i'm grateful for other tickets they've hooked me up with. it's too bad it worked out this way, but i guess it's a lesson learned the hard way. still, life goes on and there will always be more great shows.

i'm so happy for the good vibez crew that these shows were such a success. congratulations to you! i still love the small scale vet's hall shows and look forward to your next production (as they are always blessed events). but, it's great to see you step it up a notch with bigger festivals too. i know you have a lot to deal with organizing such an event, and obviously things will happen that are out of your control. so, thanks again for all the great shows you bring to us here in santa cruz and the bay area. we are truly blessed to have people like you working hard and investing their time and money to do so.

Jah blessings every time.........

CaliRoots
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login