Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae and Race

Posted by J_72 
Reggae and Race
February 26, 2006 08:38PM
How can ones listen to Reggae and totally ignore the roots, the message, the general racial overtones? It would be an interesting study to do a percentage comparison of race-related issues (lyrically) and other issues within the Reggae genre. But the fact is, Reggae comes from the black ghettos, the sufferers, and so therefore comes from an Afrocentric perspective, whether they are singing about one love or remembering Poor Marcus. Even Marley lyrics contain constant references to Africa, Black Man Redemption, etc. They are too numerous to list here.

To me personally, one love can only come when we stop and listen and hear that racism is there and still alive, that there are inequaties that need to be corrected from the past, that the white power structure is still the one that is causing the majority of wars and ecological damage to the earth and its inhabitants. On a microcosmic level, within the local Reggae communities, there seems to be racial issues that need to be addressed and not ignored, as can be evidenced by the Damien thread.

On an earlier thread I stuck up for hippies and smelly people, but really, it seems that they always end up fitting the stereotypes.

-----------------------------------------------------

Post Edited (02-26-06 20:45)
Re: Reggae and Race
February 26, 2006 08:49PM
Never let any one tell you that Reggae is only for lack people. Remember Bob Marleys father was a white man.
February 26, 2006 09:21PM
Did you even read the post?

---------------------

Boiio
February 26, 2006 10:02PM
It's not only Reggae that has those racial overtones. The vast majority of the music made by African descendants, stretching from the 20th century to the 21st, is about oppression, inequality, and hard times. What does that tell me? Little has changed as far as racism in society. Slavery and segregation may have been abolished but the mindset of one race being superior to another has yet to be torn down. Even in 2005, there are still people (many people) who judge people by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character.
HIGHPRAISE
February 26, 2006 10:10PM
Race ? Hmmmm ..
February 27, 2006 12:29AM
Bro Bob sang:
"Everyman knows his burden is the heavyist - who feels it knows it Jah."

Race and nationalism is one level of it because we are in this perilous deadly wurld - but the Irie hights is not of this wurld - so there mus be a higher hights than race and nationalism.

Another thing - How bout gender role ?? The Ras always say: "only half the story has ever been told" so how can one argue that they got the whole story about the male/female principle and that the sisters should be subservient to men and keep quiet in church etc? Do the sisters get a fair treatment? Is the whole enchellada still getting filtered thru a faulty looking-glass of male power and ego?

Unlike a father the mother always knows who her children are and more time has unconditional love for her children.

Let truth arise
---------
HIM - Her Incredible Matriarchy - The Conquering Mother Hen of 10,000 equally blessed tribes.
---------
PS: Yes I know some will label this pagan Godess worship. Leh go ad hominum argument. I issue you a challenge. Put it to the test. Get your nose out of moldy spin-doctored scriptures; go direct to the source; turn on your radar and ask for discerment. Then we will see what is the real deal
February 27, 2006 07:47AM
I once read an article in a Buddhist magazine addressing the same topic, except it was white people and their racism/superiority within the Western Buddhist community. If you look at what constitutes a "Western Buddhist" it usually is a caucasian, upper-middle class person, even though Dharma practice is the fastest growing religion among African-Americans.

---------------------------

February 27, 2006 08:00AM
Look inah Rasta see a black heart, look inah any human inside a total blackness. Listen to Vaughn Benjamin's Monterey innahview on ireggae he breaks it down to an ience of fact.
kyndgrl myspace.com/kyndgrl
February 27, 2006 09:20AM
Id like to read it, to you have the link sistren??
February 27, 2006 09:28AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login