Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

S.F Ragga Muffin Festival-All Crucial, All Night

Posted by c-town rasta 
c-town rasta
S.F Ragga Muffin Festival-All Crucial, All Night
February 27, 2006 05:39AM
I was happy to wake up this morning with vibes from the previous evening running through my head. Although, the post-show bar crawl though some great bars in the S.F. has left me a bit fuzzy.
I will say, from the beginning to the end, this was a great concert. This is only my opinion, but it is hard to question 10 hours of the massive jumping up and down(and all around!!) for all acts that were performing.
I was not very familiar with two performers that blew me away. First of all, there was Gentleman. He has the stage presence along with the voice to get everyone involved. The second was Michael Franti & Spearhead. As the final act ,I chose to sit up in the balcony because my legs were spent. I am somewhat ashamed to say I had never seen Franti even though I am a nor-cal native. Sitting above the floor of this great venue, I saw Franti put forth a show that was beyond most. He was barefoot and rockin' for 1.5 hours. I will not miss him the next time he is in Chico, Paradise etc.
Oh, by the way, the Cool Ruler showed up and was muy bien. Matisyahoo was there as well and he rocked the house. This was a great show, a great venue and I hope all these bands are part of SNWF this year.

Don't Hate...Appreciate!!

Re: S.F Ragga Muffin Festival-All Crucial, All Night
February 27, 2006 01:37PM
I wasn't that impressed at all.
Michael Franti was great, but there was nothing really that special for ME at this show. I thought the vibes where off. I mean, I turned and looked around me and all I saw where high school girls and boys on their cells phones.
And then I was taking a break and had some girl pass out cold on me. Strange night.
j.p.
February 27, 2006 06:31PM
While I was trying to check Dezarie, a bunch of young (real young) girls bulldozed their way to the front of the stage(but who hasn't done that, so that's not my point) and posted up next to us.The whole time they were yakking and text messaging and staying stationary while me and my girl were trying to groove. But the only thing that really annoyed me about all that was these girls were mocking and making fun of the whole "reggae scene". Saying things like "this is dumb, you can't even dance to this", "look at me I'm gonna do the reggae dance", "look at his hair, that's disgusting". But that and the fight during MIR and the Price of liquid were the only low points in 10 hours of high points. PEACE
February 27, 2006 06:37PM
I spose dem could "dance " ta de yahoo...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
ripped off
February 27, 2006 11:04PM
I was so disappointed in the Dezarie set, she was the reason I bought the $45.00
ticket and arrived at 2:30 in the afternoon, 4 songs is not what I call a "set". The sound was terrible for her time on stage, you could hardly hear her.
The vibes were terrible, youngsters on spring break. I agree, everyone standing around and yelling to each other, if you don't want to listen, go up in the seats, do not stand in front of the artist and scream....
The MC that announced the "ORIGINAL Wailers", where has he been? Did he hear?
The only redeeming part of the evening was Gentleman and Misty In Roots.
The food sucked, no Jamaican food in sight, just expensive hot dogs and pizza.
I think the lack of reviews speaks volumes.
February 28, 2006 12:57AM
What did you all expect from that venue!?!
People that show up to reggae shows like this are like the same people that only show up to church on Easter.
February 28, 2006 01:20AM
Pretty much everyone I knew who went to SF said that the show was a waste of their money, with the exceptions being Dezarie, Gentlemen, and MIR. Apparently while good artists like Dezarie got very short time sets, guys like Michael Franti got up to an 1 1/2 hours. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
February 28, 2006 01:27AM
All in all I must say I didn't have quite the experience I was hoping for yet there still were some real high points. Gentleman was real tight, he could tune down the showmanship just a touch imo though. It was the first time I saw the Wailers, so for me that was cool. It was cool to see Gregory Issacs just because he's Gregory Issacs, but his voice just isn't there, every once in a while he would hit the right note and you'd think "alright there it is." The band that backed him, the Live Wire band, could have been the highlight of the whole day, they were real impressive, would love to see them as the backing band at SN this year I'm sure there will be a need for one. My main gripe with the whole day though was the schduling, how you can give Bob Marley's band a forty-five minute slot at a festival that is supposed to be a a celebration of Bob Marleys life, is a bit mysterious to me. Also as other people have already commented the vibe of the crowd was pretty weak, if this is the crowd that shows up to a show whose main draw is Matisyaho and Spearhead, then please don't bring either of them to SN this year.
February 28, 2006 01:42AM
you know thats one of the main reasons i didnt go to sf ragga muffins fest.
maybe some one can fill me in here-
why is michael franti playing above any reggae artist for a longer time at a reggae fest? i dont get it. i dont mean to sound like a whiner- but im getting tierd of seeing this guy billed at reggae shows. whats really going on?
one love-juan love
February 28, 2006 08:36AM
I hated paying 45 dollars for a 4 song set also. I have also voiced my complaint to the organizers. We dont have too many large venues in SF, so the venue isnt an issue with me. It is the lack of artists. I enjoyed Gregory and of course I was looking around for some "Original Wailers." I was impressed with Gentleman and he had control of the crowd. My mouth dropped to the floor when I saw Matisyahu and other than Misty in roots, they could have kept their Festival which is no longer the Bob Marley Festival but now called the Raggamuffins Festival. What is up with that??

Food?? What food?? There wasn't a speck of Caribbean food in the place!! I feel that Raggamuffins organization is in it for the $$$ and no longer for the love of Reggae music or for the celebration of Bob Marley.

This is just my out of $45 opinion
February 28, 2006 01:22PM
Greetings Delilah~

long time!

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
February 28, 2006 01:30PM
Author: j.p. (70.134.77.---)
Date: 02-27-06 10:31

While I was trying to check Dezarie, a bunch of young (real young) girls bulldozed their way to the front of the stage(but who hasn't done that, so that's not my point) and posted up next to us.The whole time they were yakking and text messaging and staying stationary while me and my girl were trying to groove. But the only thing that really annoyed me about all that was these girls were mocking and making fun of the whole "reggae scene". Saying things like "this is dumb, you can't even dance to this", "look at me I'm gonna do the reggae dance", "look at his hair, that's disgusting". But that and the fight during MIR and the Price of liquid were the only low points in 10 hours of high points. PEACE

>>>j.p.
your perspective on the show has some alarming aspects...
who are these young persons who come and why do they actuallly show up
to mock 'reggae and its artists' ( sad indeed )

also to hear about a fight ( during Misty's set ) is very disturbing to read about...
jb welda
February 28, 2006 04:54PM
>who come and why do they actuallly show up

my guess? matisyahoo.

one love
jah bill
February 28, 2006 05:34PM
one ting tho...dem have nuff' disposable income,'
February 28, 2006 05:34PM
Whatever you might think of his music, Matis comes correct lyrically. No telling the gal dem fe push up dem pumpum, no glorification of guns or gold or ganj...just respect for one another being the way to praise God. I wasn't all that impressed by him or his band live, but can't fault his message.
February 28, 2006 05:37PM
I heard that Matis refused to perform if a female artist either preceeded his set or came after his..... Hardly waht I would call 'coming correct' albeit not lyrically
jb welda
February 28, 2006 05:39PM
any idea what his rationale for that would be daniel?

one love
jah bill
February 28, 2006 06:36PM
I heard that Matis refused to perform if a female artist either preceeded his set or came after his.....

If thats true this guy is a nut case...must have something to do with his religious beliefs...what else?

Reminds me of Luciano firing his backup singer because she wore levi's

Something very wrong with that kind of thinking.
February 28, 2006 07:21PM
About what should be expected from the SF leg of this tour every year...

seed
February 28, 2006 07:28PM
I hear you Juan...at least get that guy a trumpet player or a sax player so he can fit in a little...im tired of him too, doesn't he ever take a break?
jb welda
February 28, 2006 07:32PM
>Reminds me of Luciano firing his backup singer because she wore levi's
>Something very wrong with that kind of thinking.

i dont see anything wrong with this...he wants his singers to appear a certain way and its his gig. i understand that was a rehearsal (from memory) but still, if you displease the boss you get canned. thats the way it usually works!

but the part about matisyahoo dictating who comes before and who comes after, man the guy got a swell head already!

one love
jah bill
February 28, 2006 07:36PM
He's one of G-d's Chosen People, I expect nothing less...

miguel
February 28, 2006 07:36PM
from what i read about matis and not being preceeded or followed by a woman has to deal with his religion apparently and how a woman singing is sacred and a man can not hear a woman sing unless it is his mother or wife? dont quote me on that though...
miguel
February 28, 2006 07:37PM
and the live wire band...is that the band that backed uroy? santa davis, fabian cook?
jb welda
February 28, 2006 07:41PM
they werent billed as live wya or wire or whatever for the u roy thing but that outfit did indeed have those two in it.

one love
jah bill
February 28, 2006 08:58PM
Live Wire and the band that backed Uroy were two toatlly different bands. I can't name any of the players in live wire, but they're all young guys, and I'm pretty sure its that band that backed just about everybody at the last sunsplash festival.
February 28, 2006 09:22PM
My friend in NYC sez Live Wire band is active out there & plays stage shows & weddings...haffe well versatile to move in the wedding band circle...
February 28, 2006 10:07PM
Here's one for you all to feast your eyes one.... And I am looking forward to seeing her Set The Flame in Nevada City tonight!!!!

Dezarie - Backstage in San Francisco
February 28, 2006 10:16PM
with Santa & Fabian in it, soundz like da band which backed four artists Sattaday in Long Beach... Higher Vibes... also w/Michael Hyde-keys, Stevie Verhault-guitar (formerly of Detour Posse) Stevie tell I dat dem regularly back Barrington

Daniel - nice pic of the Roots Empress!

Post Edited (02-28-06 14:17)

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
jb welda
February 28, 2006 10:18PM
thats what i thought danny, i thought i read a band with santa and that bassie were backing someone down there. those two definately were in the band backing u roy.

ps: i wish that guitar player in detour would tone it down a bit.

one love
jah bill
March 01, 2006 06:16AM
Come on JB, that womans father had just passed. I really dont think she was in the right frame of mind...Anyway I still love yuh.
jb welda
March 01, 2006 06:46AM
huh? what woman?

one love
jah bill
March 01, 2006 07:06AM
Matisyahoo...Never again. hurt my ears
Raggamuffin organizers: in Bob's name, rasta deserve better and affordable
Gentleman...hot, but what's with that name?
Dezarie...beautiful, but deserves a good full set
Misty inR: I hate to say they just didn't put down the hits...really expected to hear See dem a come. Still...first time ever after all these years...Jah bless
Vendors: overkill
Food: unedible, expensive, No ethnic food???
Sound: Jah bless Massive sound and JahWarriorShelterHiFi...Ivier killed the intermissions with some of the hotest hits....BIG UP the DJ's
Humble Lion: When are you going to put on a reggae shirt and look the part?
Spliff: looking trim and cool
Franti: please go and save the world and respectively leave the reggae stage to those that have earned their place...
BGauditorium....I pray: Jah, provide SF with a better venue so we don't do this next year. one love
jb welda
March 01, 2006 06:55PM
>Gentleman...hot, but what's with that name?

hes a gentleman thats what.

>Humble Lion: When are you going to put on a reggae shirt and look the part?

maybe he should wear a mop on his head?

the rest of what you say i can go along with.

oh to delilah...i guess you mean the woman i referred to above who was lucianos backup singer? maybe that was a bad example, i didnt know about losing her father so that didnt enter into my thinking. what i meant was, what the boss says usually goes. in that case you would think he would give her the benefit but maybe there was something else going on. anyway i didnt mean to pick on her; it was just a handy example brought up by someone else

one love
jah bill
March 01, 2006 07:31PM
Misty inR: I hate to say they just didn't put down the hits...really expected to hear See dem a come. Still...first time ever after all these years...Jah bless

Lulu: I too would have loved to have heard songs like "See Dem A Come", but that is one of the MIR songs from the era in which Delvin "Duxie" Tyson was singing with the band. Unfortunately, he left us over ten years ago and it just would not be the same hearing his brother sing the lead vocals.

Cover Up, True Rasta and Ghetto of the City - BIG HITS which MIR DID sing!!!!!
March 01, 2006 09:33PM
Luciano fired his singers because he didnt like their short skirts and their behavior on the tour...not because they wore levi jeans. winking smiley
March 01, 2006 10:37PM
After seven years of recording and performing professionally, it was rumored that Luciano fired his backup singers, the Daffodils, after one of them came to rehearsals wearing tight hip-hugging jeans. "Actually, it wasn't just about the jeans; it was their whole mannerisms," he says. "I didn't think that they saw what I was trying to achieve. For me, as a Rastaman, they needed to comply with my dress code that didn't include X-rated jeans."
j.p.
March 02, 2006 01:10AM
Prediction- by this time next year Matisyahoo will be nowhere to be found on the "reggae circuit" just another novelty act being pounded into the minds of youth by radio and mtv.
March 02, 2006 01:17AM
Greetings Sista Irie,

Yes long,long time. I watch and listen so I am never too distant from my friends and family.
March 02, 2006 01:28AM
I know yuh love me <wink>
March 02, 2006 01:31AM
That message was for you JB.
jb welda
March 02, 2006 06:42AM
thank you delilah!

one love
jah bill
Was There
March 02, 2006 07:25PM
It was almost comical to see the mass exodus of people after Matisyahu's set

My Highlight was Gentleman for sure. And the Intermission dj's
March 02, 2006 07:46PM
does any one know who the djs were - i heard they where one of the top high lights of the show.
one love-juan love
March 02, 2006 08:46PM
"Sound: Jah bless Massive sound and JahWarriorShelterHiFi...Ivier killed the intermissions with some of the hotest hits....BIG UP the DJ's"
charleseye
March 03, 2006 02:00AM
I went to both Long Beach and San Francisco and must say Long Beach was much better. LB had better FOOD, sound, vibes, artists, DJ's, MC's, and a nice video screen.

San Francisco had NO food, Ok sound, ncie selections from Jah Warrior (but they did not engage the crowd and you couldn't see them), overpriced beverages, and more slackness in the crowd which is unexpected from the Bay which usually outshines southern California.

Matisyawho-ever will go by way of shaggy and shinehead and others. Watch. He is an imitation of rasta. It is interesting to see so many young white listeners gravitate to him when there are jamaican sounds or artists with significantly greater depth.

I like spearhead, but having them headline this festival is a mistake. They are not a reggae act. PERIOD. And while Franti lives up to Bob's mission of equal rights and justice, bring on the conscious reggae! There are so many other artists who should have come to the promoters mind to headline.

San Francisco has to get real with the food and line up if this festival is going to repeat.

Jah guide
charleseye
March 03, 2006 07:24PM
I was very disappointed by the disorganization of this festival/concert. No only it was obvious but extremely unprepared. The vibes were not right just like some of you have mentioned…completely off. And I agree with the amount of young highschoolers who went for the wrong reasons or just to see Matisyahoo…. Glad I missed that Sunday.

<<<j.p. “Prediction- by this time next year Matisyahoo will be nowhere to be found on the "reggae circuit" just another novelty act being pounded into the minds of youth by radio and mtv.”>>>

I hope so…

<<<”I feel that Raggamuffins organization is in it for the $$$ and no longer for the love of Reggae music or for the celebration of Bob Marley.”>>>

Agree 10000% …I think that summarizes why it was the way it was. I really enjoyed some of the artists but I’m still upset at how they ruined Lutan Fyah’s set by letting everyone know the night was over…unbelievable.

Looking forward to SNWMF 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jb welda
March 03, 2006 07:36PM
you mean in long beach, not sf, right blueturfly?

one love
jah bill
March 03, 2006 09:54PM
<<<”I feel that Raggamuffins organization is in it for the $$$ and no longer for the love of Reggae music or for the celebration of Bob Marley.”>>>
Agree 10000% …I think that summarizes why it was the way it was.

I also agree...and of course we talkin bout LB here.

My impression was they went as cheap as they could on everything as well as bumping up the prices on everything. Maybe this is the last year and they just trying to make as much money as they can on the way out...no need to worry about satisfying people and hope they will be repeat customers...may not be true but thats the feeling I left with.
March 04, 2006 06:53AM
Has anyone wrote to Ms. Barbara Barbarino and voiced their displeasure in the commercialization and poor presentation of the Festival? I wrote her once and asked her not to patronize us (in SF) with such a horrible show. I guess she wasn't reading what I was trying to say.
March 08, 2006 12:12AM
Man, you guys are commin down pretty hard on a festival that, from a musical standpoint, was pretty damn good. Granted, it was weird to close the show with the least rootsy artists (Matis, Spearhead) instead of the Wailers, but can anyone who was there honestly tell me they didn't enjoy Gentleman's set, Misty's set, or the albiet short sets of Dezarie or the Wailers? I thought the music was worth my $45.
March 08, 2006 07:35AM
It wasnt worth $45 but it was worth going to see my Sista Francesca.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login