Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF 2006 welcomes BAABA MAAL

Posted by Daniel 
SNWMF 2006 welcomes BAABA MAAL
February 27, 2006 10:32AM
The promoters of SNWMF 2006 are working hard to make up for a lack of top-rate World Music artsts last year, and I think Baaba Maal is an excellent start!!!!
Re: SNWMF 2006 welcomes BAABA MAAL
February 27, 2006 10:39AM
Rana ridibunda

Post Edited (03-08-06 16:57)
February 27, 2006 10:57AM
Baaba Maal has got to be one of the most versatile artists inna world music. Respect.
Lori
February 27, 2006 12:02PM
Good to hear.
One of my picks.
February 27, 2006 12:12PM
Is he from St. Croix?

On the more serious note: He's a great live performer, Ive got a couple of his live recordings, my fav. is Baaba Maal concert with Ernie Ranglin as a special guest-star, sbd rec.

JB, wink, wink.
February 27, 2006 12:13PM
Baba Maal is so awesome
Thanks SNWMF for such a great entry
and Don Carlos is also so great
both great entertainers
Lori
February 27, 2006 12:20PM
Love E. Ranglin!
February 27, 2006 12:29PM
>after a few years of requests 1 of my calls has been answered!
>this is 1 solid show anchor! thanx-u snwmf^
does the world know beat? : )
>iNi have the world set & reggae is always well repersented here so now all we have to work on is a crucial dancehall dubliner*** (key word is dub*)

-RASpects+
HIGHPRAISE
February 27, 2006 01:24PM
February 27, 2006 02:33PM
I 2nd Earl Ranglin
Baaba Maal......AWESOME....
February 27, 2006 03:25PM
May I recommend Ali Farke Toure? His cd Talkin' Timbuktu is one of my favorites. I am also a big fan of Angelique Kidjo.
February 27, 2006 04:48PM
Nice! He and his band/dance troup put on an absolutely stunning live show.

Can anybody recommend studio albums he's recorded that match his live work? Almost all the studio work I've heard from him has been soft, overproduced pop.
February 27, 2006 05:01PM
'In search of the lost Riddim': Ernest Ranglin, Baaba Maal, Mansour Seck et.al

One of the greatest collections of music ever recorded imo.

also check 'Djam Leeli - The Adventurers' with Mansour Seck.
February 27, 2006 05:15PM
Ernest Ranglin is one of my favorite guitarists of any genre. He could outplay "Eric Clapner" (as Joycelyn Elders reffered to Clapeton) or any of those guys any day.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
baykay
February 27, 2006 05:21PM
THANK YOU!!!
February 27, 2006 05:28PM
any malian music questions, ask me- is some of my fave.

so good to hear Baaba Maal might be coming- always wanted to see him
Senegal ina the House
francesca
February 27, 2006 06:36PM
excellent! this announcement brightens my day...

kaligyal
February 27, 2006 07:27PM
I LOVE IT!!!! baaba maal is my favorite african performer and this is wonderful news. thanks, y'all!

maybe youssou n'dour next yearsmiling smiley?
February 27, 2006 07:50PM
Baaba Maal was at the top of my list! Angelique Kidjo is another must. And Alpha YaYa Diallo. And Nyanyo Addo. So far soooo good!
February 27, 2006 10:14PM
Ali Farke is wonderful

Baba... looking forward

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
DoubleA
February 27, 2006 10:25PM
If Ernest Ranglin was the only artist on the lineup, I would be there. I was lucky enough to catch him at Maritime Hall a few years back, right before they closed. There were only about 30 people in the place, but that didn't stop him from putting on a great show. He played that guitar like his life depended on it, and you could tell that him and the band were all having a great time. One of the best live performances I have ever seen.
February 27, 2006 11:27PM
PRESS RELEASE:

Date: February 27, 2006
Topic: Initial Artists Announced/Only 2 More Days for Early-Bird Tickets

INITIAL ARTISTS:

Sierra Nevada World Music Festival is pleased to announce that the following artists will be appearing at the 13th annual SNWMF, which takes place from June 23-25, 2006 in Boonville, California:

BAABA MAAL

CULTURE

DON CARLOS

AMADOU & MIRIAM

LUNA ANGEL

Additional information regarding these artists is provided for you below and on our website – www.snwmf.com.

EARLY-BIRD TICKET OFFER ENDS TOMORROW:

February 28, 2006 is the last day to purchase ‘Early-Bird Tickets’ via mail order. To take advantage of this offer, your check or money order must be postmarked by midnight tomorrow. Send your check or money order, along with a $.39 stamp (no envelope) & your address legibly written to:

SNWMF 2006
PO Box 208
Ryde, CA 95680

Camping tickets for SNWMF '06 are also available through mail order. If you are purchasing advance tickets, we strongly encourage you to also purchase a camping ticket so as to minimize any delays in entering the venue. Camping tickets are only valid with a 3 day music ticket. The price of a 3-day Camping Pass is $35.00 for automobiles and SUVs and $100.00 for Buses and RVs. A very limited number of RV hook-ups are available and going fast. To request an RV hook-up, please complete the form located on our Camping Page, and return it to us right away along with your payment.

Baaba Maal: Senegalese master musician Baaba Maal is a pillar of the African music world. For over ten years, he has been creating magical compositions ranging from the purest traditional sounds to exciting, innovative fusion. - More

Culture: Formed in the rich tradition of harmony trios in 1976, Culture quickly became a part of the vibrant, politically charged Jamaican reggae scene of the day. Originally known as the African Disciples, the line-up consisted of Joseph Hill, Albert Walker and Kenneth Dayes. - More

Don Carlos: Singer/composer Don Carlos (born Euvin Spencer) founded the legendary reggae band Black Uhuru in 1974 with Rudolph Dennis and Derrick "Duckie" Simpson, friends from the rough Waterhouse district of Kingston. - More

Amadou & Miriam: Amadou Bagayoko and Mariam Doumbia, however, first came together through a shared adversity. Both are blind and they met at the Institute for the Young Blind in Bamako, the capital of Mali. - More

Luna Angel: Luna Angel was born in 1981 to a Jamaican mother and a French father in Marin County, California. Luna’s family was always involved in music, coming down through many generations, music underlines Luna’s heritage. - More
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login