Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aswad vs. Steel Pulse

Posted by baldhed 
baldhed
Aswad vs. Steel Pulse
March 01, 2006 06:30PM
now i wasnt around in the UK in the mid 70's, so you brits can correct me if need be. i know that Aswad was on the reggae scene first. backing Burning Spear at his first show in UK. i think Steel Pulse opened that show. Aswad played with Bob, Bunny & Peter i believe. Steel Pulse never did, but never needed to... by 1980, both bands had released 3 albums. i hear that Aswads first album was groundbreaking to UK reggae. but pulses first 3 LPs are amazing as well. Aswads new chapter of dub is, in my opinion, the best dub album ever made. steel pulse won the grammbylon in 1986. aswad had a couple #1 hits...that i dont care for..
aswad did come with an impressive digital LP 'to the top' in 1986...their last decent LP in my opinion.
Steel pulse has definately lasted longer, but i keep leaning towards Aswad. from 1975-2006 i might say that pulse is the better group, but back in the original days, 75-82, im gonna have to say that i like Aswad due to their experimental sounds like Hulet. pulses old tracks are great, but always seem to have the predictable odd change in the middle of every song..
i would love to see a reunion with brinsley & gad & drummie zeb & maybe george oban playing only old tracks...
baldhed
Re: Aswad vs. Steel Pulse
March 01, 2006 06:32PM
also can anyone help me to fing an Aswad recording?
''Hey Jah Children'' from the Baylon soundtrack is dubbed out.
Does a regular version exist anywhere?!?
please help
March 01, 2006 06:44PM
i have to agree with you aswad's early stuff was certainly among some of the best reggae ever, not to take away anything from pulse, but brimsley's voice is absolutely hypnotizing and the bass lines were unmatched, and there dub album is the best ever
The man
March 01, 2006 06:45PM
I don't think you'll get that reunion, Baldy.

Last time I saw Oban he was a bouncer at the Brixton Academy. Brinsley Ford and Angus Zeb are not on speaking terms for the past ten years. Bad women trouble.

Observer
baldhed
March 01, 2006 06:48PM
penny, how is Oban's solo LP?
i forget the name, but i seen it for sale in a few places.
is it roots??
The man
March 01, 2006 06:51PM
I've not heard it, Baldy.

Observer
baldhed
March 01, 2006 06:57PM
by the way, Earth Crisis is a great album
March 01, 2006 07:07PM
Both very talented and innovative bands. I feel Aswad had some of the most progressive roots in the beginning, able to seamlessly integrate hardcore reggae beats with jazz inflected vocals and horns, but strayed towards a pop sensibility later (hey, their musicianship certainly deserved more record sales) while Steel Pulse were innovators in UK reggae who developed a style they sort of got stuck in.
Maybe it's just my roots fascism coming out, but I still prefer Misty in Roots to either of them.
And no, rootsee, you don't have to thank me.
March 01, 2006 10:03PM
Stamina!, check Mr Reel about Matumbi.
March 01, 2006 10:04PM
>real brass vs. fake key horns*

-RASpects+
March 01, 2006 10:57PM
reasoned with drummie zeb a few strong ago here in Albuquerque- he is current-ly
on tour with the Wailers

check dem
March 02, 2006 12:16AM
smallaxe, the drummie zeb w/the wailers is NOT drummie zeb who drummed/sang
w/aswad,
March 02, 2006 12:34AM
true rootsee, that's a whole different drummie zeb
March 02, 2006 12:54AM
dz w/the wailers used to drum w/awareness art ensemble ( from VA? )
March 02, 2006 01:02AM
misty in roots is better IMHO than most reggae bands ever...
ranks with the best of the JA bands for lyrics and for addressing society's
runnings...very versatile...weaves a song so effectively and i & i the listener
can really understand the words being sung...

aswad was very solid especially in their early dayz...NOT SATISFIED, dem dayz...
their LIVE and DIRECT LP is a top ranker of all time live albums...
recorded at Notting Hill carnival ( in 83 or 84? )

steel pulse carried a militant vibe in an unusual style for a long time
and then they started to change ( in the mid 90s? )
March 04, 2006 10:44AM
Aswad hands down....though I'm not a big fan these days.
MOTION was Oban's solo band. Reggae - Jazz Fusion. Nice album. Not strictly reggae.
baldhed
March 04, 2006 09:24PM
black slate was also very good in their early days
March 04, 2006 09:26PM
matumbi 2
March 04, 2006 09:29PM
naturalites has a classic song, picture on the wall
March 04, 2006 09:30PM
and one of my faves...BLACK ROOTS from Bristol...
excellent tunes like THE FATHER
baldhed
March 04, 2006 09:41PM
juvenile delinquent
one heart
March 06, 2006 01:16AM
I think Awareness Art Ensemble is from NC, but it could be VA. Somewhere in the vicinity. Drummize Zeb, who is currently touring with the Wailers, also had his own VA based band back in the day: "Drummie Zeb and Razor Posse". Those were the days.....
March 06, 2006 04:46AM
I believe Awareness Art Ensemble was from the Richmond area. I went to graduate school and owned a business in Blacksburg, Va. about twenty five years ago. AAE would come through and play at the very popular club called 117 S Main. One of the members was named Olamina and many years later I saw him once again in Austin when Awareness Art Ensemble played the SXSW Music Conference Festival. That was the last time I saw the band. Olamina has a son, Jah I Witness who went to school at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. I understand he has become quite a musical performer since that time. I don't know what band he is in. I often wonder what Olamina is doing these days. I still enjoy listening to their cd.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
truth
March 06, 2006 10:34AM
natural-ites gwan do it...
simplicity, storm, dennis bovell, dennis pinnock, UK lovers...

JD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login