Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nice one Nick

Posted by Dubguy 
Nice one Nick
March 01, 2006 08:34PM
Kingston Jukebox is doing me right tonight. Even dropping R Stewart in there!

Hearing the "Ain't No Love In the Heart of the City" tune now - who is this?? Is this really a Whitesnake cover?!? LOL, I'm thinking it must be an older song - but whatever - it works very well!

Hmm - just found yet ANOTHER version by Al Brown that sounds a bit more like what I'm used to - but I like the rootical/dj mix a lot better. Is that Mikey Dread? My quest continues...

Post Edited (03-01-06 20:43)

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
TR-808
Re: Nice one Nick
March 02, 2006 06:14PM

thanks man

leroy brown "color barrier" is your tune.. big tune for real.. recently reissued by french roots revive label makasound

[www.makasound.com]

--
March 02, 2006 06:22PM
John, I was told long ago that the harmonica player on Millie Small's "My Boy Lollipop" was Rod Stewart. Maybe Penny can shed some light on that.
The man
March 03, 2006 05:58AM
No Stamina, apparently Pete Hogman played harmonica on 'Lollipop'. Or pethaps not!

"In 1964, The Five Dimensions were hired to provide backing for Jamaican singer Millie Small on her hit recording of My Boy Lollipop. It has long been thought Rod Stewart played harmonica on the record - a story he has since denied, but according to guitarist Kenny White, it was occasional band member Pete Hogman who played on the session. Pete apparently looked very much like Rod in appearance so it's likely that Millie Small's manager Chris Blackwell (who also managed Birmingham's Spencer Davis Group) was mistaken in identifying him.

Other sources have also claimed John "Junior" Wood of the Jeff Beck Group as being the likely contender. According to Jimmy Powell though, none of the above stories are correct. "I played harmonica on My Boy Lollipop and Mike Carroll did the clapping" says Jimmy."

Observer
March 03, 2006 07:43AM
haha - was referring to Tinga's brother Roman (but you probably knew that huh?). Took me a minute to figure out where you were coming from with that one... =D
alisha
March 03, 2006 08:47AM
hey
March 03, 2006 10:32AM
Thanks penny! just free associating johnny, it was a ruff day at work I guess...
TR-808
March 03, 2006 12:22PM

man i missed that connection altogether until your reply, j

hey if you're around try to check kzfr today 3-5:00

--
March 03, 2006 12:29PM
can one listen online?
TR-808
March 03, 2006 12:51PM

unfortunately, one can't

not live anyway.. but i do have a couple shows cataloged by trade roots

click the 'selectors corner' link here [www.traderootsreggae.com] if anyone is interested

thanks for asking though Stamina!

--
March 03, 2006 02:40PM
original, "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City"by Bobby Bland (Dunhill, 1974)
Jackie Pablo
March 03, 2006 02:51PM
Musical arranger for 'My Boy Lollipop' by guitar legend Ernie Ranglin?

March 03, 2006 02:51PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login