Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eating Ital

Posted by riffy 
riffy
Eating Ital
March 05, 2006 08:19AM
Serves 2

PUMKIN PASTA- boil pasta, when done add it to the following ingredients,(ingredients should be room temp) stir and serve immediately. ENJOY!

3/4 cup bow tie pasta
1/2 cup cooked/puree pumkin
1 Clove garlic finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup shredded parmeasan
2 tblspn unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Kris
Re: Eating Ital
March 05, 2006 05:23PM
no offense, but this dish is ital?
March 05, 2006 05:35PM
And why wouldn't it be?
March 05, 2006 05:38PM
The cheese and butter might not be considered Ital, depending on who's opinion your looking for.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
Kris
March 05, 2006 05:53PM
I'm not insulting ur recipee- looks tasty. But the ital title can be tricky. The pumpkin- vine, salt, butter & cheese.
Kris
March 05, 2006 05:58PM
I've just gotten the fyah blazed on for putting pumpkin in an "ital" dish, guess it's a vine fruit. But I'm Mex. & that's the staple of our food including corn, along with all calabasas, I'd starve if I olimated calabasas along with dairy in my family.
March 05, 2006 06:06PM
the big problem with Ital is, the definition seems to change between any 2 people you talk to. Nobody can seem to agree on if certain things are ital or not (i.e, sea salt, dairy, things that grow on vines, fish, etc...) peace

BG
March 05, 2006 06:16PM
ITAL....................is vital, remember?
add peanuts, add beets, add green olives, add acorn squash, add lentil, add chick peas, add cauliflower, add coconut milk
shhhhhhteeep it and shhhhhhtew it, so you dont have to chew it & pass it around to your idrens & crew.
mmmmmmmmmmm good.
cook it in a yabba pot on a 3-stone for a "closer to rasta" experience.

ha ha
March 05, 2006 06:31PM
I disagree Ras James, it seems that the standard Ital is no animal byproducts at all, especially dairy (except the occasional fish, according to size regulations, for some) and no salt or fruit of the vine. Anything claiming to be Ital and has these ingredients cannot claim to be Ital. I'm not being personally picky or anything, but Ital is Ital. Also no alchohol, and the menstral/cooking prohibition.

--------------------------------------

Post Edited (03-05-06 10:34)
March 05, 2006 06:38PM
to reason on that point J_72, what about fish? Almost every Rasta i've known from JA will eat fish (many of them having worked as fishermen down there). Now, unless one tries to argue that fishes aren't animals (which would be pretty damn hard to prove), would that mean then all these people are not Ital? just a thought... I don't claim to be an expert though, since i'm more about just healthy living then specifically ital. I tend to think certain meats, fruits of the vine, etc... can be beneficial. Peace

March 05, 2006 06:39PM
to reason on that point J_72, what about fish? Almost every Rasta i've known from JA will eat fish (many of them having worked as fishermen down there). Now, unless one tries to argue that fishes aren't animals (which would be pretty damn hard to prove), would that mean then all these people are not Ital? just a thought... I don't claim to be an expert though, since i'm more about just healthy living then specifically ital. I tend to think certain meats, fruits of the vine, etc... can be beneficial. Peace

March 05, 2006 06:45PM
Ras James, the fish (and I would even venture the fruit of the vine for non-Levitical Rastas) thing, imo, is different from dairy, alchohol, and the mestral prohibition, true? I have never heard of dairy, alchohol, and cooking while menstrating to be Ital.

---------------------------

March 05, 2006 07:02PM
There are still many binghi Rasta in the hills who eat NO fish. (just like Bushman's song Fyah Pon a Deada) I agree with J 72 about the old time definition of Ital food.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
March 05, 2006 07:12PM
ital is vital. No chemy - only organix. Fish - even red
meat is optional and permissable. Those with O blood
type need it. Those with A blood type and recessive
O blood type genes need a lesser amount of fish or
meat also. They will get weak and sick without it.

Indigenous peoples pray and give thanx to the Creator
when they hunt an animal. It does not make them morally
or spiritually inferior to vegitarians.

The only snag I see in the recipe is the pasta. Is is
white flour pasta? White flour and white sugar is poison !

On the @2,000,000 year continuum that our ancestors
have populated this rock - processed swaggy fake-foods
are a very recent invention. White flour and white sugar
are the culprits causing a pandemic of ill health and
mental disorders.

Combine processed fake-foods with stress and it is the
formula for a depleted immune system. We swim in an
environment of invisible parasites (bacteria, virus, fungus,
mycroplasma and micro-critters) When the immune system
is flat the parasites take over.

If you got the processed-food monkey on your back and you
love your children - make sure you write your will and get your
affairs in order cuz your days will be short.
<><><><>
Ovah
PS: 'The Cure For All Disease' by Hulda Clark PhD ND
March 05, 2006 07:15PM
now we are talking I ting, fish and fish farming and fish eating.

I often ask if idren consider fish as meat. Let I throw it out here for consideration. Do the eyes here eat fish and consider it meat or not meat??

I feel similar to Ras James. J-72 your exception for occasional fish seems vague if you are x'splaining that Ital is Ital.

Anyhow, it's a personal tings to I, like religion and I do what I feel right (in Jah sight). I do consider fish meat. I farm fish and often sale to rastas who consider my fish not meat. I don't press I ting in their face though. I eat fish, therefore I eat meat. Some eat fish but have a fear saying "I eat meat", so they say fish is not meat. Am I way off base here? The fish I slaughter do run blood. very little, but still I think this is an amimal product always, not occasionally.

Mostly whole foods in I house and always grown local.

Know your farmers,
ic

"I disagree Ras James, it seems that the standard Ital is no animal byproducts at all, especially dairy (except the occasional fish, according to size regulations, for some) and no salt or fruit of the vine."
March 05, 2006 08:01PM
Aquaponics, the fish thing is vague because it is the ONLY thing I have heard, besides vine food, that is questionable within the term "Ital". Yes, food is a personal choice, and I do not dispute that. We are talking about the word "Ital", according to TRADITIONAL RASTAFARI, not organics, vegetarian-ism, etc. Ital, as traditionally practiced by Rastas, not reggae listeners, hippies, organic eaters...just within the Rasta context. Organics and vegetarian cooking does not entail Biblical laws, no mestrating, fish size, etc. There is a difference. Many Rasta, strict ones, will not eat at restaurants for these very reasons, even the organic veggie ones.

-------------------------------------

baykay
March 05, 2006 08:14PM
what I was taught by binghi elders is that fish is meat. if you eat true ital, then no fish, dairy, white flour, salt, etc.
March 05, 2006 08:27PM
baykay...yes, this is true. Deaders is deaders. Like I said, the fish thing is vague only because I have seen serious binghi rastas eat certain fish.

------------------------------

March 05, 2006 08:30PM
I am not an authority, only reasoning from what I know and have some perspective on.

------------------------------

March 05, 2006 08:42PM
My husband is an old Rasta fisherman. Well, he is 65 so maybe that is not that old but he was born and raised Rasta. He eats fish because that is how he survived. However, even he would say that the original ital was no meat, no fish, no animal derivitives and no salt.

&quot;love shines brighter than the morning sun&quot;
Stevo
March 05, 2006 09:13PM
I guess the real question is whether or not it's wrong to NOT eat Ital. That's where it becomes a personal issue. Bushman burn a fyah pon a deadas for himself, not for me, even though I eat red meat. There are obvious benefits to eating Ital. And for some, obvious reasons to NOT follow an Ital diet. It is NOT wrong to not be Ital. THE ITAL DIET IS NOT ENTIRELY PHYSICAL IN IT'S PURPOSE. It is also spiritual. I would reason that even spiritual intentions for eating Ital are not necessary, because of the New Covenant under Christ's sacrifice. We no longer live according to the Levitical priesthood. We now have an eternal priest through whom we can approach the Throne of Grace personally, on any occasion. This is never a result of works(diet). Respect.

-Stevo
March 05, 2006 09:55PM
Stevo, yes, Jesus did say that what comes out of the mouth is what corrupts us, not what goes in (I think more as a metaphor for being pure in heart), but then in another verse he say's that not one dot from the Law (Torah) should be taken away and those that teach otherwise are condemned. I think James and the Jerusalem church settled it with Paul (book of Acts) when they proscribed Gentile Chritians to certain regulations regarding the Law and being a disciple of Jesus. It was Paul (who never knew Jesus and was at constant variance w/those that did know him) that took it one step further, not Jesus and his immediate disciples.

------------------

riffy
March 05, 2006 10:01PM
This dish can easily be made strictly Ital. Use organic wheat bow tie pasta, skip the sea salt and parmeasan. Instead of butter, use oil. There ya go. I was hoping fi offer up something good, that's all...but all of this reasoning is good too.

Many Rasta I have reasoned with regarding diet have differnt personal boundaries concerning diet. As far I know "true" Ital means, no animal bi-products or salt, except fish with a size limit (this seems to be newer Rasta tradition), although I'm no authority. Hill Binghis didn't eat fish, dairy, salt etc... Ital is what is vital. What is vital to me might not be vital to you, depending on blood type. And yes I would agree that eating Ital is not just a physical endeavor, but a spiritual one as well.

As far as Pumpkin being "non-ital", that's absurd! check again. pumpkin is by far, the best thing thing you can eat for your skin health, guranteed! If it's not Ital, it should be.

That recipe sounz like paradise BG
March 05, 2006 10:25PM
>that not one dot from the Law (Torah) should be taken away
>and those that teach otherwise are condemned.

Then let churchianty condem me because the Torah say
nuff chita:
- That only 12 tribes are god's chosen
- If your girl pickney get caught in premarital sex you must
put her to death but the boy is spared and only need pay you a money.
- Don't mix cotton & flax in your garment
- If a rape mob come to your gates and demands visiting
angels-in-disguise give them your daughter.
- That a loving god would tempt a man to put his child to death.
- etc etc etc and don't forget to give the church middle-man
10% of your income.

A likle pure salt is ok - it is benifical. Beware the store bought
chita containing trace aluminun powder so it don't lump up.
<><><><>
Ovah
Acknowledging the 1,000,000's of equally blessed tribes
March 05, 2006 10:35PM
Ovah, the subject is much more complex than you make it out to be, especially for Christian, Jew, and Rasta (imo).

----------------------------------

riffy
March 06, 2006 01:19AM
chita?

try some jackass corn for dessert
March 06, 2006 01:26AM
Steve, I agree with you completely. Who is to say what is right and wrong with what the next person eats. It's just man made rules based on an individual's interpretation of what is spirituality. Each person should decide those things for themself and not be a slave to labels but to one's self be true.

Post Edited (03-05-06 20:47)

&quot;love shines brighter than the morning sun&quot;
March 06, 2006 03:47AM
>the subject is much more complex than you make it out to be,
>especially for Christian, Jew, and Rasta (imo).

We all got our opinion and this is only my opinion:
Mi still hear the voice of mi Idren singing 'Talking Blues'.

"Cold ground was my bed last night (bed last night)
And rock was my pillow, too. Yeah! ..................
Now - now that you know that the preacher is lyin'."

Sorry if anyone take offense at street lingo. Words can
become prisons and the Queens English don't always cut it.

Hey ! If anyone want to go to church - Jah bless them.
and hopefully they will learn to walk the simple road
that never go complex because to the simple Truth
"You never add anything or take anything away."

No need for stacks of papers. Complexity is what
killed the cat

<><><><>
I just called to say I love you
Ovah

March 06, 2006 05:27AM
I wholeheartedly agree that people can eat what they want, despite my own views of this subject, including Christians eating pork, I was just reasoning about what is "Ital" and what is not. If a Rasta was strict Ital (and had a long-standing vow in place) and some one gave him/her food claiming it was "ital" and it wasn't, including even the food being prepared by a woman who was menstrating, it wouldn't be very good for that said person.

---------------------------------------------

riffy
March 06, 2006 06:44AM
Ital Vegi-Coconut Milk Soup

ingredients:

2 tablespoon organic vegi oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon Tumeric
2 medium potatoes
1/2 yellow onion
1 medium carrot
coarse ground pepper
crushed red pepper
4-6 asparagus spears cut into 1 inch pieces
3-4" piece of lemon grass
1/2 red pepper chopped to small pieces
7 0z. coconut milk
20 fresh corriander leaves or 3/4 teaspoon ground
1 cup water
1 - 12 oz.can vegi broth
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ginger

In a saucepan over moderate heat add oil, finely chopped garlic, thinly sliced onions and red peppers. Cook for 5-7 minutes, remove from heat. Get a dutchboy or big pot w/lid and take peeled and pre-blanched potatoes(1-inch cubes)/carrots and add them to the vegi-broth and water, along with tumeric. Also put the onion, garlic and red pepper in. Drop in lemon grass and bring to boil, immediately lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes on medium with lid on. When done simmerin, add the pre-blanched asparagus and coconut milk, paprika, corriander and ginger. Allow all of this to settle for 10 minutes with the lid off. Pour in bowl a wait 5 minutes before eating. (i like to add basmati rice to I soup for body and boldness. Also brown sugar and sea salt for extra flavor)
March 06, 2006 07:58AM

>Ital Vegi-Coconut Milk Soup

Now you're talkin' MY language!

-s
riffy
March 06, 2006 08:24AM
Food tip*
if you slice asparagus diagonally, they're are much more palatable. Any fibreous vegi sliced diagonally is better, imo...much easier to chew and tastes better. The fibres are exposed when cooked allowing them to soften better and collect flavor.
riffy
March 06, 2006 08:32AM
just better
riffy
March 06, 2006 08:33AM
a lot better
riffy
March 06, 2006 08:33AM
the best
Yummy Monster
March 06, 2006 01:45PM
Quarter Pounder with cheese and frys.

dat a ITAL VITAL
riffy
March 07, 2006 01:40AM
Soul Fyah

juice from 1 fresh squeezed tamarind
juice from 1 fresh squeezed orange
1/4 cup fresh squeezed tomoatoe juice
1 tablespoon of fresh squeezed lime juice

mix together and gulp quickly for quick infusion of soul fyah
Kris
March 07, 2006 05:21PM
yum, tamarindo, love that especially with chilie powder in the mix.
buttah....
March 07, 2006 05:57PM
nice simple drink with a good burn to it....
juice of one lemon
distilled or purified water
cayenne pepper to taste...
*some ppl add organic maple syrup*
drink hot or cold...
baykay
March 07, 2006 05:57PM
as far as diet is concerned, I don't have a problem with people eating whatever they want. but one should be aware of what impact their food consumption has on others and the earth. also, i think diet as a spiritual matter runs much deeper than the bible alone.
y'all should check your ecological footprint to help realize the insane impact we have on the earth, especially here in the west
www.myfootprint.org
baykay
March 07, 2006 06:00PM
Ital Stew:
-1 lb. pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut in chunks
-1 lb. yams, peeled and cut in chunks
-1/2 lb. breadfruit, peeled cored and cut in chunks
-1 lb. sweet potato, peeled and cut in chunks
-2 plantains, peeled and cut in pieces
-3 green bananas, peeled and cut in pieces
- ½ lb. cassava, peeled, cored and cut in chunks
-juice from ½ large lime
-2 cups vegetable stock
-1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
-1 onion, finely chopped
-2 sprigs of chives, finely chopped
-1 sprig of thyme
-3 pimento or allspice berries

In a large iron pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Add the coconut milk, and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients (except banana and plantain). Add seasonings and bring to boil again. Simmer for 20 minutes. Bring to a boil again and add banana and plantain and (whole wheat or cornmeal) dumplings. Cover pot and simmer again until all vegetables are cooked. Serve on a bed of brown rice and black-eyed peas. Serves 8 to 10
March 07, 2006 06:42PM
Exactly what I thought when considering fish as i meat (I yam O blood type). Also an agricultural consideration. FCR = Food Conversion Ratio.

As a farmer I use 1.2 lbs of feed (grains) to gain 1.0 lbs of fish flesh. the FCR for tilapia culture is 1.2:1. Very efficient in converting feed:flesh.

On the other hand, a farmer uses 13 lbs of feed to gain 1.0 of red meat flesh (cow). the FCR for cow production is about 13:1.

While affluent societies feed 13 lbs of grain to produce 1 lb of meat, eyes across the globe go hungry while fat cats eat Top Sirloin or whatever you call dem ting.

When considering the impact of food consumption on others and on the earth, fish will be the meat of choice as times get tough.

ic

"but one should be aware of what impact their food consumption has on others and the earth."
bun
March 07, 2006 07:23PM
Im so vegan I eat chicken for protein.
baykay
March 07, 2006 07:41PM
aquap., good points. but sadly the world's fisheries are severly depleted. is it possible to feed masses on sustainably raised fish? i have serious doubts.
March 07, 2006 09:57PM
fisheries are delpleted all over, true. Therefore we move to "farm" fish. I prefer the fresh water as I have a controlled environment. I hardly eat a sea fish due to pollution concerns. The fish I choose to work with, tilapia, are considered omnivores though they are mostly a vegetarian fish. I will soon do research with all plant fish diets. I have serious inspiration that it is possible to grow enough fish sustainably to feed the masses. Now distribution is another ting alltogether.

ic

another benefit to the fresh water fish culture is the fertilizer water used to nourish terrestrial crops
riffy
March 07, 2006 10:06PM
I galang wit dat...sounz like ic has a good idea.
March 07, 2006 10:23PM
So are we talking mass production of fish?

baykay
March 07, 2006 11:21PM
sounds like you doing some good work, aqua. have you/are you studied aquaculture? that is something i'd like to learn more about so i can practice it one day. and yes, distribution will be a whole nother ting all together
March 08, 2006 08:11PM
A fundamentalist Italist as the higes knots igelic house iriginators of the code prescribed only raw (no cooking), organic (no-chemicals whatsover), no animal products. Basically a vegan raw diet is the ital principle that iah ovahz. Have not stepped up to the strict raw level yet but JAH willing.
pale ryder
March 09, 2006 05:20AM
I especially like those veggie griller patties. They take the cake when you need to fill your belly, and not get greased out....
riffy
March 09, 2006 05:50AM
greased out....>lol
riffy
March 09, 2006 06:33AM
Sesame Glazed Beans, courtesy of Ras Ansel and Queen Lily.

1/2 lb. Fresh organic Green Beans
1/2 cup water
1/2 organic red bell pepper
1 tsp. organic dry mustard
1 tbsp. Honey
1 tbsp. saltless organic sesame oil (dark)
1 tbsp. organic sesame seeds

Slightly cook beans w/ red pepp then combine all other ingredients and pour (as sauce) over the beans at a simmer, allowing to thinken. When thickened a bit, drizzle the sesame oil, an top wit seeds (or sessi seeds, which ever are good for the I nutritionally!) Enjoy with rice or whatever.....
March 09, 2006 02:36PM
J-72, if we are talking about feeding the masses, I think we are talking about mass production of fish.

"So are we talking mass production of fish?"

I am not trying to convince anyeye here that my diet or choice to farm fish is THE way, only I way.

Baykay, I was trained in biology and fisheries and have worked in aquaculture now for 15 yrs. The University of the Virgin Islands has a unique method of fish and plant production called aquaponics. It's the combination of fish and hydroponic plant production. The fish excrete nutrients that the plants use as fertilizer, while the plants removal of these nutrients act as a filter. The fish take care of the plants and the plants take care of the fish. With this balance, very little water and land is needed to produce a mass of plants and fish. Each summer we hold a weeklong shortcourse on aquaponics and tilapia culture. This summer we are holding the class two times due to demand. The website for the class:

rps.uvi.edu/AES/Aquaculture/UVIShortCourse.html

isis again Iyahzarite,

when considering this definition, are animal products used to feed plants allowed, like the application of manure to fertilize crops? I find it strange that some have of diet with absolutely no animal products while animal poop was used to nourish the food they do eat. Just thinking out loud here, sounds like a prescription for a healthy quality of life as the body ages though.

"A fundamentalist Italist as the higes knots igelic house iriginators of the code prescribed only raw (no cooking), organic (no-chemicals whatsover), no animal products. Basically a vegan raw diet is the ital principle that iah ovahz. Have not stepped up to the strict raw level yet but JAH willing."

love,
ic
March 09, 2006 05:10PM
Yes I...Iah would definitely level that the manure is a necessary nutrient for the crops so I must again re-align Iah premesis for true. Ital point.
March 09, 2006 06:06PM
i like your way with words iah
March 09, 2006 06:28PM

Post Edited (03-09-06 10:38)
riffy
March 11, 2006 12:32AM
Almond Crisp

1 Cup sliced almonds
1/3 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup hempseed or sess
1/4 Cup Organic Soya Margarine
2 tspn. unsweetened organic vanilla
1/4 tspn. cinnimon (optional)

preheat oven- 375 . mix everting together and bake until golden brown. cut into squares while still warm. Enjoy!
riffy
March 11, 2006 08:59AM
BLISTER PEANUTS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login