Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF 2006 welcomes INNER VISIONS

Posted by Daniel 
SNWMF 2006 welcomes INNER VISIONS
March 06, 2006 06:29PM
Hailing from St. John, this band has been working hard to forward the music for decades, and are an excellent addition to SNWMF 2006!
Re: SNWMF 2006 welcomes INNER VISIONS
March 06, 2006 07:19PM
That they are!
March 06, 2006 07:55PM
I hear St.John's is quite beutiful and is very lush and forested. I've always wanted to go there. I can't wait to hear Inner Visions. Where would I go to listen to them? Jah Bless.
March 06, 2006 07:59PM
Check this link...

[www.vireggae.com]
March 06, 2006 08:25PM
Or this one....

[www.snwmf.com]

which is available on the SNWMF Inner Visions page located at:

[www.snwmf.com]
March 06, 2006 08:54PM
[innervisionsreggae.com]
...is their home page

March 06, 2006 10:23PM
Infinite Love to GrassHopper, Jupiter, Ras Paul, Hollywood, and Snooze! The live show is always pure vibes! Give Thanks for all the great shows and new album in '05!
March 07, 2006 03:44AM
Not familiar with their works - but I have time to catch up =)

St. John's is incredibly beautiful. I can remember well the white sand (as in crushed seashells) beach - great snokeling!
March 07, 2006 04:48AM
They played a great set in Austin about six months ago. Very talented group. I think they will be perfect for SNWMF. Big up to Grasshopper and crew!

Photos copyright protected
Conscious Party Photos
copyright 2005

Grasshopper

Ras Paul Samms

Jupiter

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
Ras easy Joe
March 09, 2006 09:12PM
wicked band!!!!! I cyaan miss dis ya one, Inner Visions live at snwmf? I man mus get I and I ticket now!
March 12, 2006 04:30AM
grasshopper and crew,
mash it big @snwmf 2006,
bless,
Lori
March 12, 2006 06:47AM
heard an irie interview onna thursday.
They seemed thrilled to play at SNWMF
Ras Easy Joe
April 08, 2006 01:31PM
Yeah Mon, Got my ticket. Cyan wait! Boom!!!!!!!!!!!
April 08, 2006 04:27PM
Wow - been checking these guys out and I LOVE what I hear - this is incedibly crucial music - can't believe they've been around so long and I've never heard of them! (just like MIR!!)

Thanks Warren and Gretchen and everyone else involved in selecting the entertainment - you are picking pure quality this year, the attendees are going to be amazed, and these bands that deserve to be heard are getting a great place to showcase their stuff - win win. All killer no filler.

Also - big up to Daniel for keeping us board heads informed so we can arrive somewhat "in the know".
Ras Easy Joe
April 08, 2006 10:41PM
True dat!!!

"Easy"
reggaefan
April 13, 2006 04:47PM
I was not familiar with Inner Visions before so I was checking some of their sound samples...

One song in particular, 'Everybody Talks' [from 'Spiritual Dancer'] --- this was one of the best 'more recent' reggae songs I've heard in quite awhile....excellent lyrics, very nice lead voice ---- and the riddim is well played and very catchy. Love the 'wah-wah' guitar and pumpy keyboard going on in the background.

Now I hate to be a picky jerk [even though I'm good at it] --- but I would be SERIOUSLY RAVING over this song even more if they had dropped the rock sounding lead guitar solo near the end of the tune --- I know some folks don't mind screaming guitar leads ---- but I think rock guitar solos kinda hurt sweet reggae songs like 'Everybody Talks'...

Anyways, I hope they do 'Everybody Talks' at SNWMF

It's track 12 if anyone is interested

[www.vireggae.com]

Ras Easy Joe
April 13, 2006 05:35PM
Den reggaefan, don't com to SNWMF to see dem. Dis band hav a wicked lead gits it would be sick not to hear these licks. As a gits player myself me ah tell yo, if unno don like it stay far. Inner Visions hav everytin. Sweet vibes, raw flow, dancin tempo, nuff harmony, and yes da nasty gits! Only ban from VI Iand I respect as a yardie! Mi ah tell yo say dem no soft pop ban either. I Been checkin dem awhile now an dem live show don disappiont! Mek sho yo check de vibes! I man will be de short J-gan with bongoe dreds up front an center ina black IV T!
When dem dun come mek we reason!

"Easy"
reggaefan
April 13, 2006 05:53PM
I used to like wild guitar leads --- but not anymore. Here I am in a 1982 photo:

April 13, 2006 05:57PM

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 13, 2006 06:04PM
EXCELLENT!
April 13, 2006 06:07PM
SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

Ras Easy Joe
April 13, 2006 07:10PM
Yo Reggaefan! Bet dem ah mek yo eat dem words!

"Easy"
Ras Easy Joe
April 13, 2006 07:10PM
Yo Reggaefan! Bet dem ah mek yo eat dem words! East Coast Know!

"Easy"
Ras Easy Joe
April 13, 2006 07:12PM
Yo Reggaefan! Bet dem ah mek yo eat dem words! East Coast Know, time west fin out!

"Easy"
April 13, 2006 07:25PM
In all seriousness, Inner Visions is a crucial band. Got a cd of there's in the mail a few months back and I really enjoyed it. Peace

reggaefan
April 13, 2006 08:51PM
Welp Ras Easy Joe - no biggie,,,what 'rocks' your boat, sinks my ship, that's all...

I just find it odd/ironic for Reggae bands to incorporate a 'rock and roll' style of guitar playing in their music. To me, rock guitar solos - or any over-the-top solos are the antithesis of what a quality Reggae band is all about.

I think [good] Reggae bands get their strength because they work together, unifying their sounds to make one powerful unit ---- vs. one guy going off inna Van Halen stylee. The rock guitar sounds should stay with the rock bands, they deal with it, they love it, so they should keep it - Reggae doesn't need that in it's sound b/c it’s out if it’s character.

Sure, some might say my initial post is too critical & picky -but the way I look at it, I was praising 95% of 'Everybody Talks' -- that song is sitting right next to perfect -- & in general Inner Visions sounds like a solid band.

Now that 'wah-wah' guitar sound you hear in the riddim of 'Everybody Talks' --- now I aint saying that Reggae can take credit for that style of playing --- but to me, that more subtle form of guitar fits in much better with one of the world's greatest styles music.
April 13, 2006 09:15PM
Your initial post was very complimentary imo.. but now,

"I think [good] Reggae bands get their strength because they work together, unifying their sounds to make one powerful unit ---- vs. one guy going off inna Van Halen stylee." - for one who admits being unfamiliar with Inner Visions this was just a little too much to take. Inner Visions is literally FAMILY...were talking Father/Brother /Sons and these Idren have been working together unifying their sound for as long as I've been alive. Grasshopper does sometimes play with a more "rockin" sound but never, NEVER have I heard this humble Elder ever "wank" or "go off inna Van Halen stylee" on his own seeking the spotlight. Inner Visions plays as a UNIT and hopefully you'll get the privelege of witnessing them live to see for yourself.

That being said you are not alone in feeling that the "rock guitar solo" is out of place in "authentic" reggae.
April 13, 2006 09:23PM
A lot of the Jamaican reggae artists will employ a guitarist who goes off in rock stylee because they figure it will help them get over in the USA, and that that's what the American audiences want. Bob, Peter, Mutabaruka and many more subscribed to this theory. Personally, I check for the Chinna Smith/Dwight Pinkney school of reggae lead guitar, where a simple rhythmic/melodic statement gooses the tribal sounds of a reggae rhythm section to higher heights, over say that of Donald Kinsey or similar rock/blues or even jazz guitarist, which seems kind of tacked-on and superfluous by comparison.
jb welda
April 13, 2006 09:25PM
funny thing is chinna smith seemingly has made a career out of sounding like jerry garcia. and thats not a compliment, but chinna does it better. check out the soul syndicate albums on epiphany for one good example and also check word sound power dvd for proof of that i say.

detour posse is another; the band is good but the guitar player gets way too carried away sometimes. ive actually talked to him about it and he agrees; and actually said barrington levy appreciates it and lets him go wild from time to time. then he reins him in with a glance in his direction.

one love
jah bill
April 13, 2006 09:38PM
lots of room for different sounds in reggae imo. What about Tuff Lion? very jazzy/bluesy while staying simple and understated. For my money, one of the best at "goosing" the rythm as Stamina! said.
trinpro
April 13, 2006 09:50PM
Stamina..

Whats the name of the Gitsy in Root Awakening? I've always thought he had a little of that Chinna flair for big solos.

>SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

Ras J...weren't you like 2 when Bill & Teds came out?

Respect, MK

P.S. Wyld Stallions 4 Life
reggaefan
April 13, 2006 09:51PM
Hi Pablo,

Even though I used it, please don't take my Van Halen comment too literally - it was mostly used for effect - relating to the sound of a guitar solo and not the 'Inner' runnings of Inner Visions. I wasn't trying to take a dig at the band or Grasshoper on a personal level...

With that said - it don't matter much to me if a guitar player has 2/3 of his body hanging over the front of the stage during a rock style solo or if he's unseen, rocking out behind the stage curtain --- it's the style/sound that doesn't sit well with me, not the wanking visuals or spotlight business thing. [although it's easier to throw tomatoes at them when the hang over the front of the stage ;-)]

Not saying this is what Inner Vision's is all about --- but it seems like some bands try and over-spice things up too much,,,when imo,,,less is more. Less is more, is the musical concept that attracted me to Reggae in the first place.

And the first thing that makes Reggae NOT sound like Reggae ---- is a rock & roll guitar solo...

I think I better shut up now --- before I go into my second pet peeve in [some] Reggae songs ---- OVER MODULATION :-/ grrrrrrrrrrr............

reggaefan
April 13, 2006 10:17PM
"A lot of the Jamaican reggae artists will employ a guitarist who goes off in rock stylee because they figure it will help them get over in the USA, and that that's what the American audiences want"

Sorry I missed this before I posted - trying to do too many things at one time. Very good point there Stamina --- as much as I cringe when I hear this, it is a truth that is probably all too common. I blame Van Halen for creating this myth ;-) [Stamina, I'm with you on the Chinna/Dwight styles, that suits my ears better]

JB - one thing though --- generally speaking, wouldn't you classify Chinna as more of a 'picker' than a 'screamer' ??? On many lps that contain Chinna's name, it seems that I hear more of the strumming/picking sound vs. the loudness alternative.

Those "soul syndicate albums on epiphany" seem to be an exception more than the rule imo....[and I don't think they highlight Soul Syndicate's capabilities either - except the Take 5 version they did on Was Is and Always]

April 13, 2006 10:49PM
I guess what I meant jb was the figures Chinna has come up with in the studio time and time again that help shape and define a song: think the intro to D Brown's "Melting Pot" or Dwight Pinkney's intro to Edi Fitzroy's "General Penitentiary" for examples. Chinna is almost always pithier (and thankfully much briefer) than Garcia. He was def. a major influence when I began playing reggae, along with the older skool gitsies like Lynn Tait and Hux Brown. Steve once told me that my playing w/'farians influenced his reggae style; doesn't sound like you're gonna consider that a compliment either...
Pablo, Tuff has gotta be one of the tastiest reggae gitsies I've ever heard, I love his style & his vibe both on and off the guitar. He's one of the best at interspersing sweet little licks into his riddim playing to give the effect of more than one guitar player.
MK are you talking about RA's original guitarist David who was with us til a couple of years ago, or Benny our newer gitsy?
Just for the record, I don't consider IV gitsie Grass's playing to be too rock & roll or over the top at all. I'm looking forward to hearing 'em, Midas caught them @ MBRF '04 and was very impressed with their live performance.
April 13, 2006 11:02PM
there are some sweet guitar sounds in some of misty's recordings...
listen up...

one love one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
jb welda
April 14, 2006 12:29AM
herb i didnt see your post when i posted mine. chinna can definately be restrained but im surprised how often he goes off sounding like some california jam band guitarist. now dwight pinkney, theres a guitarist i like. his solos are always sweet without being overbearing. i used to think he was one of the greats in radics but of course all 5 were greats.

one love
jah bill
Translucent
April 14, 2006 05:45AM
"What about Tuff Lion? very jazzy/bluesy while staying simple and understated. For my money, one of the best at "goosing" the rythm as Stamina! said."

Second that!!! aannnd back vocals too!! Good Works is always a heavy dose and always leaves me wanting more...
I:Sight
April 14, 2006 06:36AM
check out Inner Visions in Portland, OR thursday, June 29th, the thursday after SNWMF. We got 'em for an intimate set at Berbati's Pan, should be crucial! This is a co production of InSight Productions and Higher Reasoning Reggae Time (Ras Danny). If you loved there rootsy harmonies at sierra nevada, come up and see them again. If you missed out on the whole festival, come check out one of the best offerings!
_Iconfused smileyight
April 14, 2006 12:48PM
guitar bizness...check darryl thompson w/peter tosh
Ras Easy Joe
April 14, 2006 02:08PM
Translucent yo mus no dredy dat reggae rule many ah feeln' an Tuff rule big! im blues stylie off dey chain. nuff respect to dey manTuffy! Inner Visions gits rule too! im rock style no wild but ina 'art beat im ah nice up de area!

"easy"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login