Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matisyahu's New Album Sucks

Posted by ossie 
pale ryder
Re: Matisyahu's New Album Sucks
March 09, 2006 07:42AM
LOL, I misunderstood that one big time....
bee
March 09, 2006 09:13AM
I heard this album- "youth"- its not that great, pretty poppy, not really that original, and for those who say he doesnt try to to use patois, I disagree...
I couldnt believe this was #1 selling on iTunes yesterday, WTF????

1) the artwork is pretty budget... he gives the full lyrics to like 4 out of how many songs are in it, (13?) and then on the others, no lyrics... interesting...
2) Why does he completely bite the 2 follwing lines???
-"Sending out an S.O.S." (and he sings it just like Sting)
-"nobody gonna break my stride, nobody gonna hold me down, oh no, I got to keep on movin" (cant remeber what this is from, some late 80s movie?)
he sings both of these familiar lines, and from what I saw gives no credit to the artists that wrote them...

those were the things that cuaght my eye as I heard this album from the first time... I havent owned any of this cds, and dont really want to...
but on a positive note, this could open more people to "reggae" - so that is good
March 09, 2006 12:36PM
tracks 1,4 & 12 on the new album are about the only ones worth a listen ... he's pretty much totally departed from the sound on the first album
riffy
March 09, 2006 12:56PM
Stamina- Pickney will grow up as we all do and find their way. Did ya listen to objectionable music growing up? I know I did. bun romanism! we fight the indulgence and tactics!

>Summertime is by George Gershwin- thanks a

pale ryder- LOL, overindulging perhaps, yesterday? Maybe I was. haha
March 09, 2006 03:07PM
--> but on a positive note, this could open more people to "reggae" - so that is good

but is it really "reggae" that they will be opened to by lissenin ta this cd? ...or sumthin far frum it? I havnt even heard the cd and I think not...

... does this mek me a "critic"?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
a
March 09, 2006 03:26PM
bee wrote "..and for those who say he doesnt try to to use patois, I disagree..."

can you quote some patois words and what song they are in. i have never heard him use patois in the songs i have heard, again, to my ear, he uses a ja vocal patterns but stritctly english words. a
March 09, 2006 11:36PM
there's maybe a time or two on this new one where i hear a tinge of patois attempt ... something about "come arrest we" i think
March 10, 2006 07:07AM
no Danny it makes you sensible. This is not reggae, it is something of it's own creation that much can be said,but then again niether is Bounty Killer, TOK, Elephant Man......

To B-That is like saying KRS ONE raps in patois.
bee
March 10, 2006 08:11AM
as I said, I don't own the album, so I couldn't give you which songs in particular got patois... but I think jahboo knows what I'm talkin bout.

and ras danny, I was saying that many people perhaps will be opened up to "reggae" from matisyahu. after listening to his cd a million times, they''ll think, "gee, I want to hear more of this, where did he come up with this?" how many more "hasidic reggae" singers are out there? true matis fans will read an interview he wrote and see that his influences were sizzla, bob, etc...

almost as if they'll throw in sizzla and say, "ahh, I see where he adapted many ideas... but this sizzla guy does it way better" it could be beneficial....

regardless of what anyone else thinks, matis admits that reggae("real" reggae) was a major influence on his music style. That alone could turn many of his fans on to reggae...
a
March 10, 2006 02:04PM
Bee wrote" how many more "hasidic reggae" singers are out there? "
its a conspiracy. they are coming to take over reggae!

March 10, 2006 02:23PM
Just got the record. A lot of good tunes on here

Jerusalem
Fire of Heaven/Alter of Earth
Time of Your Song
Unique is my Dove
March 10, 2006 02:36PM
PS further from Reggae tunes, but you can tell he has a lot of influences. Hip Hop, Reggae, hasidic chanting, Jam band etc.
bun
March 10, 2006 06:28PM
dats some funny shite, adam smiling smiley
bun
March 10, 2006 06:29PM
The title of this thread makes me chukkle inside.
March 10, 2006 10:04PM
Hey Ninja - I'm hearing it for the first time now - and I agree - not as bad as everyone keeps making it out to be. Ancient Lullaby even busts into a total african riddim every so often. Seems to me he would be quite at home playing a world music fest, LOL! Now I can understand everyone making a fuss over whether reggae or not (not) - but a hell of a lot more listenable than Celine Dion if you ask me...
March 10, 2006 11:34PM
the s.o.s. line ... though i love me some old time police tunes occasionally ... is pretty lame ... didn't hear the other line you mention bee ...
Spleece
March 11, 2006 11:17AM

I heard the new album last night for the first time. I'm glad I didn't pay for mine, 'cuz if I was a regular consumer, I'd return it.

-s
March 15, 2006 12:40PM
Somebody likes him, or Ninja buys a lot of albums.
[news.yahoo.com]

March 15, 2006 01:31PM

...siiiighhhh ...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 15, 2006 01:41PM
<< Living up to the hype with a number four debut was Hasidic reggae star Matisyahu. His latest, Youth, which includes a studio version of his live hit "King Without a Crown," scored the best opening week for a reggae album since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991, selling 119,000 copies. Meanwhile, his Live at Stubb's disc climbed to number 36, making him the only artist to have two albums in this week's Top 40.

<<Aside from that live album, which has sold more than 500,000 copies since its release a year ago, Matis has appeared on the recent P.O.D. cuts "Roots in Stereo" and "Strength of My Life." His indie debut, Shake Off the Dust...Arise, dropped in 2004.>>

...btw you seem to be doing lotsa sighing these ya days Danny...

March 15, 2006 01:44PM

...siiiighhh .... ing!

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 15, 2006 01:48PM
wel, Herb... it's kinda boring 'round ya, these daze... and this thread is one a examples... I lissend da samples a dis Youth, an I can hardly tell how it even gets mistaken fi reggae... except for the promotional spin dat pushes it...

.. sigh ...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 15, 2006 02:02PM
well Danny, I know what you mean, but that's probably why it sells...a) the hype and b) the fact that the avg. music buyer doesn't know squat about reggae...
March 15, 2006 04:33PM

>I can hardly tell how it even gets mistaken fi reggae.

Geez Danny, your talkin' MY language! rasta smiley)

-s
March 15, 2006 04:59PM
Spleece, ya got dis Argentinian release by --> J.P.A. "Como salir"...?
it's on Label records

Post Edited (03-16-06 09:54)

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 15, 2006 05:04PM
Ras Danny, you get those tracks I sent you? Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
V DOSIA
March 15, 2006 11:11PM
i honestly did not read any of the posts prior to this except the subject, but i agree **** was WACK!!!i barrowed it from a friend , put it on, i almost threw it out the window of my truck somewhere in the outer county limits of sonoma ..way over produced over hyped trendy crap....though i enjoyed his preformance in long beach at raggamuffins...or maybe it was the drugs i took!!!! just kidding ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login