Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kwanzamo Roots Rockers from South Africa

Posted by Stamina! 
Kwanzamo Roots Rockers from South Africa
March 09, 2006 01:10AM
Here's one long-time reggae dj's review of an intercontinental music project to which some friends and I have devoted our time and energy (dj Bahilman's also been kind enough to give them some nice 'air' play on sky.fm). 'twould be great to bring them to a future SNWMF!

<<REGGAE ALERT!

Straight from the heart of the Mother Continent comes a young group of South African reggae musicians making the best of a rare opportunity to go into a studio and record their first album.

Thanks to American reggae drummer Bruce Benjamin, The Kwanzamo Roots Rockers debut album “Pay Day” is a special reggae album by the enthusiastic group who have overcome economic hardship to deliver us a fresh and uplifting reggae album. Wrapped fully with a unique African sound, “Pay Day” features additional guest appearances by Herb Daly of the Rastafarians and members of the legendary group Kaleidoscope. “Pay Day” is “MUST HEAR REGGAE” at its best.
THE COLORADO REGGAE POSSE SALUTES THE KWANZAMO ROOTS ROCKERS!

Postman Roger Dread
The Reggae Bloodlines Show on KGNU
Boulder/Denver Community Public Radio
>>

You can hear their music on this site:
[kwanzamorootsrockers.com]
...and also buy it there if you like what you hear. You'll definitely be helping out the good people who live and work in Kwanzamo township to survive day to day and to buy some badly needed musical supplies (the bass player's strap consisted of a couple of lengths of twisted wire--no joke). Thanks for your time.

Re: Kwanzamo Roots Rockers from South Africa
March 11, 2006 04:30PM

*bump*

March 11, 2006 07:03PM
Thanks, Stamina! I think if people realized how for a fraction of the price of a SNWMF ticket, these Rastas could eat and feel supported in their dream...
As they write songs in their tin shack hoping, hoping....
Ya feel it??? Step forward!!

a
March 11, 2006 07:44PM
I just heard them on Austrian radio this afternoon. a
March 11, 2006 09:11PM
Hey Herb - you played in Kaleidoscope? Chris Darrow later version I'm assuming? I still plop down When Scopes Collide every so often. =D Fill me in.

Going to check out this music for sure..
March 12, 2006 12:04AM
Nah, Herb didn't play with Kaleidoscope, Chris Darrow and Chester Crill made a creative guest appearance on one tune and Herb stepped in for scratch, some solo, and pick bass contributions. I still have Scopes Collide, dug that....Just talked to Chris Darrow 5 minutes ago. Still a hero of mine from long time.
B
March 12, 2006 01:50AM
OH! - thanks dubgroove, I just reread above - missed the "s" on members..haha. Glad they are still making music. I'm also a big fan of (other Kaleidoscope alumni) David Lindley. I can hear Darrow twangin on Say No Word unless I miss my guess...

Sounds great! I think many boardies would really dig this: vocals with heart over great roots rhythms. I'm buying a copy. I'm seriously thinking this would go over big at this festival! Throw in Root Awakening and Ras Midas while your at it. The people want fresh roots Warren and Gretchen, and if any young group deserve a break this talented bunch does. Would make one hell of a press release too don't ya think (wink wink). Fresh...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login