Advanced

Critics

Posted by Ninjacat 
Critics
March 09, 2006 03:23PM
what do you think of "critics"
Re: Critics
March 09, 2006 03:38PM
reggae musicians do not play for critics.

but the critics have nuff nuff influence on what the public perceives as authentic
good reggae music.
March 09, 2006 04:24PM
evrybuddy is a critic.... if ya state an opinion about sumthin... ya a critic...

Post Edited (03-09-06 08:25)

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 09, 2006 05:19PM
The movie History of the World Pt 1 explained it best in it's opening scene.
March 09, 2006 05:28PM
critic = of course ras danny...

so be careful and be very astute and serious bout who and how you
'criticize' someone, situations, runnins,

and not mek critics be like *ssh*l*s
March 09, 2006 07:09PM
If there was no criticism, nothing would ever improve.

March 09, 2006 09:04PM
whats your point ninjacat? should everyone agree with you? should no one have anything but a "positive" opinion? should opinions not even be voiced for fear of being called "negative"?

<crit·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (krtk)
n.
1. One who forms and expresses judgments of the merits, faults, value, or truth of a matter.
2. One who specializes especially professionally in the evaluation and appreciation of literary or artistic works: a film critic; a dance critic.
3. One who tends to make harsh or carping judgments; a faultfinder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stevo
March 09, 2006 09:56PM
"......Mr. criticizer don't want me to reach no where......"
-Reggae George-"3 Wicked Men"
March 09, 2006 10:06PM
no, I speak of the faultfinder. One who breaks down someone else yet offers nothing in return. You know who you are. Not people who disagree. Taste is a matter of opinion so it has little to nothing to do with someone saying I don't care for so and so. Much more to do with the style of the critique. One that offers personal attcks, one that assumes. A critic in the way that I mean is someone who looks at what is wrong instead of what is right. It is ok to be critical, that is the way we prefer our thinking. It is a whole other story if you just tear down and never build. Just my 2 cents no grand point
March 09, 2006 10:47PM
Critical thinking I prefer to call it. 'Criticism' has become kind of a negatively loaded connotation apart from its original meaning.
riffy
March 10, 2006 01:30AM
The negative connotations stem from the fact there's confusion bout the word "critic" for most. A critic is a judge of literary or artistic work(webstr def)
A critique is a critical estimate. To be critical is to being inclined to criticize. To criticize or offer criticism is to find fault or judge as a critic. Criticism is one tool a critic can use to level a decision or not, and it has two totally separate meanings depending on context. Off the cuff - critic seems to be negative because it was born from critical, thus, negative implications.

I like what chimino said. ^

thought...
Reasoning has no bounds because it is the xchange of thoughts between minds. There's just etiquette to follow, if you really want to reason. Spewing anger or unfounded disdain is just childish and the folks that do that crap around here should get counseling or something instead randomly puking on the board so they can feel as though they have an outlet for their overall bitterness and "fallen state". I might add, I rarely see anyhting offensive roun here...taken witta grain a salt..and I also know some type stupidity just to incite or provoke or troll, seen.

riif-o-matic
!!!!!!
!!!!!!
@@
{===)
//\\\
March 10, 2006 01:39AM
one of my favorite quotes

"I've travelled all over this world and I've never seen a statue of a critic"
March 10, 2006 02:07AM
The problem I have with critics, in the area of music and sports, is, when they critique, I find myself thinking, "Have YOU ever done that? Can YOU do that?!?"

--------

March 10, 2006 04:46AM
The value of a critic is in pointing out something when no one else dares. The best critic of all was the kid who pointed out that the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes.

A good case in point was the San Francisco Sound of the 60s. because it was associated with this ultimately avante garde scene it was hyped even in old guard music mags like Down Beat. The critics didn't know what to make of it but were afraid of not being hip so no one criticized it. Then Mike Bloomfield mouthed off in Rolling Stone about Grace Slick not being able to sing and how awful the music was and suddenly people noticed how bad so much of the music was: bad tuning, wobbly beat, amateurish singing etc.

I remember someone saying to Mike Bloomfield that she still loved the music despite the obvious shortcomings and he replied "yeah, a baby might love to rub **** all over itself - but it's still ****." Brutal rejoinder, but true.

So its true no one erects statues of critics; but sometimes what they do takes a lot of courage.
March 10, 2006 05:09AM
maybe a better word is 'analyzer?' not 'critic'
riffy
March 10, 2006 05:24AM
how bout tactician...lol
March 10, 2006 06:11AM
The value of a critic is in pointing out something when no one else dares. The best critic of all was the kid who pointed out that the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes.
-----------------------------------------

BOOM!

Can't help wondering if ninja started this thread due to a recent board conversation, hmmm...

Post Edited (03-09-06 22:11)
March 10, 2006 06:15AM
in an imperfect world there should always be work for critics/analyzers
but what about the problem solvers and action minded?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login