Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IF it WERE NOT for S W E E T R O O T S M U S I C.......

Posted by b.ghost 
IF it WERE NOT for S W E E T R O O T S M U S I C.......
March 09, 2006 06:39PM
.......we wouldnt be having a SNWMF 2006.

Are there any roots reggae bands/artists/projects coming out of JA???

Has jamaican reggae music evolved to the point where Lutan Fyah, Turbulence, Sizzla, Fantan Mojah, 'Gyptian, Perfect and dem man deh count as "roots" now??

Where does one turn, besides the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominica & Trinidad for live instrumentation ROOTS music???

I'm not dissing nobody's program, just curious to find "new roots" from JA and hear what it sounds like.
The originators will always be the originators, that 70's foundational reggae music is HUUUGE. period.

Post Edited (03-10-06 14:11)
Re: IF it WERE NOT for the Virgin Islands.......
March 09, 2006 06:52PM
There was an excellent compilation on the Young Tree label called "Mr. Bassman All Stars" produced by Andrew Bassie Campell.

The compilation features some deep roots selections from up and coming JA singers like King David, Organs, and others getting over heavy roots rhythms. You should pick this up to check an example of modern JA "roots."

As much as I appreciate the enormous contribution that VI artists are making towards keeping the roots vibe alive in the reggae scene, It seems that making bold statements like "Roots music, in modern times, would be extinct," only serves to wind up those on this forum that don't appreciate the VI artists.

Nice post still...I'm sure it will bring some heated opinons. Respect, MK

March 09, 2006 06:55PM
C'mon BG, there are plenty, plenty good roots music coming out of lots of places other than where your roots are from, the VI....

YES, i consider Lutan, Fantan, Perfect and Gyptian to be roots artists, though the first 3 do like to drop things onna dancehall riddim as well. I also consider artists like Mark Wonder, Iqulah, Nasio, Burning Spear, Misty In Roots, Don Carlos, Ijahman and nuff others to be "ROOTS" and none of them hail from STX.

How many true ROOTS bands can you name that hail from your island? While there are nuff conscious singers and chanters from there, the roots bands that I know of can all fit on one of my hands (and even with a few digits missing)...

And if you don't consider those 5 artists to be roots, then I would propose that your music ain't roots music either.
March 09, 2006 06:56PM
"only serves to wind up those on this forum"

That was my thought exactly Mike...
jb welda
March 09, 2006 07:00PM
>serves to wind up those on this forum that don't appreciate the VI artists.

as well as those who do appreciate the vi artists.

but you aint gonna wind me up because i find that set of statements to be laughable.

one love
jah bill
March 09, 2006 07:02PM
and to add to the heat and light,
there are 'roots' bands right here in the USA.
March 09, 2006 07:13PM
"Mr. Bassman All-Stars" is top-notch roots... One of my favorite CDs -- big ups to the Young Tree label.

Peace,
-RV
March 09, 2006 07:15PM
why is it that statments have to WIND up anybody??? you either 'low the statement or you dont...if you get offended easily than so be it, but again, this is a phorum, the only phorum i post anything on. If people take offense, it might just be the truth.
Roots = live instrumentation behind conscious lyrics with slow tempos and bubbling skanks.
Roots=congos, wailing souls, Don carlos, M.I.R., Burning Spear etc etc, who also happen to all have been in business for decades.

keywords here, before anybody tries to misconstrue:
just curious to find "new roots" from JA

"come on" daniel, the majority of the names yu just dropped been in it for DECADES.

new roots, think new, new like as in, a new artist, coming forward in these modern times of fast tempo reggae concoctions.

And nasio is a heavyweight, but he might as well move to st. croix, as he is the only Dominican roots singer known in the reggae world.
Digital beats make for great fill ins, and even i use them, but never have i ever ever ever considered myself to be a "ROOTS" artist.
roots folks, where does new roots come from?????? I'm not PROVING the VI to be superior, i'm actually curious to find some new roots i can sink my teeth into.
For the record, i rate all lutan's works, turbulence too....but they are not roots in any way shape or form, bobo camp maybe, but not ROOOOOOTS.
March 09, 2006 07:25PM
Sorry, I was responding to your question:

"Are there any roots reggae bands/artists/projects coming out of JA???"

Still waiting for an answer on "roots reggae bands" out of STX

As for "new roots", in addition to the 4 i mentioned above, you can add: Little Hero, Natural Black, Chezidek and a slew more that YOU know damn well. And to say Nasio 'might as well move to STX' means what exactly? That he got roots vibes? Well he just as well move to Puerto Rico, Jamaica or the US, cause each of those countries got more 'roots' artists then STX....
March 09, 2006 07:29PM
Daniel,
Code-9
Red-I band
Bambu station
Midnite
Inner Visions
Umojah

you dont have 6 fingers do you??

ha ha
March 09, 2006 07:38PM
Talkin roots I & II
Yahdanai
ABJA
Lyrical Chead
Army
Pressure(& riddem driven tings)
Quito Ryhmer
Dezarie
Mada Nile
Batch
Zioneers
Ras Attitude
Ikahba
Eastbound I & II
Homegrown I & II
Culturallenium

to name a few more *new* roots laced releases
March 09, 2006 07:42PM
Even Trinidad has a roots reggae scene, eg. Marlon Asher's Ganja Planter:

From todays Trinidad Guardian:

Part II

By Aretha Welch

“I have been doing reggae for over a decade and, as they say, patience is virtue, better late than never!”

So said Marvin “Mr King” Lewis, writer and performer of the grassroots hit, Laventille. “Our reggae is not some fly-by-night gimmick. It is a case of hard work reaping rewards.”

He is one of a handful of local reggae performers who have recently struck gold with their style of conscious reggae dancehall.

“With men like Isasha, Prophet (Benjamin) and myself just keeping that level of togetherness which we have now, we can and will be just as internationally known for reggae as we are for soca.”

In relation to the music's international appeal, music critic Georgia Popplewell said in an interview via e-mail, “There’s a huge market world-wide for roots reggae. The material we are providing is as well produced as anything you’ll find out there, so I would say it will find a place internationally.”

Mr King’s fellow reggae artiste Devon “Prophet Benjamin” Samuel agreed. “Our reggae is already being appreciated internationally. They love Marlon Asher in Germany.”

Asher’s song Ganga Planter last year was among the first local reggae songs to be accepted in the mainstream, becoming a huge underground hit and breaking into radio.

“But we reggae artistes don’t want people gangin’ soca up against reggae or vice versa, they are both our music now and can co-exist and even co-mingle; look at the collabo I did with Bunji, Fire Fe Dem, it’s successful; that’s tangible proof that reggae is just as much our music as soca and can have the same success,” Prophet Benjamin said.

As a testament to the international appeal of Trini reggae, local producer and audio engineer Vishal Singh added that, just two weeks ago a DJ from Suriname called him to get an Isasha dub plate done.

A dub plate is a recording where a performer does an exclusive vocal promotional track for a sound system or DJ. The music may have its seeds in Jamaican reggae but it is still planted in T&T soil.

“If you compare it to Jamaican reggae, the subject matter, for the most part, is very Trinidadian,” said Popplewell.

“To use the example of the tracks from (compilation CD) Reggae Road Block, you have Prophet Benjamin singing about Moruga, Mr King about Laventille, Queen Omega singing about the PNM and the UNC.

“Also, while the singers’ accents sound Jamaican on the surface, if you listen closely you notice this is really more in the intonation than in the accent per se. You also see a bit more humour in the Trinidad reggae than is customary in the Jamaican variety (though there’s a fair amount of humour in dub and dancehall), which is of course very Trinidadian.”

“Even some foreigners know it’s not Jamaican reggae,” said Prophet Benjamin. “Most Trini reggae artistes are Rastafarians like our Jamaican brothers so there is the same idea of down with Babylon’s oppression, live right for Jah, end war, make peace, burn your herbs, love the black woman—but there are major differences in dialect.

“When we mesh it with soca or pan like Isasha does (in his song, Don’t You Know), it’s a whole other Trini story. We making our mark in the reggae industry.”

Rick Davis, event promoter and Prophet Benjamin’s manager, added, “Many promoters like myself are putting things in place so that these guys get a chance to tour internationally and make T&T reggae global.”

And there are indeed many artistes and producers hopping on the reggae band wagon, some more recently than others though. But who is really making mainstream society take notice of T&T’s reggae?

“Don’t sell producers short… more and more of us are turning from the mentality that only soca beats will sell in this country and it have men like Ibo (Junior “Ibo” Joseph), who has been doing the reggae thing for years, making it happen,” Singh said.

Reggae can live side-by-side with soca, indicated Roberito Angelo Pantin of the mini-recording label and production house Studio 53, one of the local reggae powerhouses.

“People request the songs, they are played by the DJs, performer experience and enjoy the success, then makes more songs (hopefully) and the cycle continues, ergo everyone is playing a part in the growth and survival of the music and it’s all good.

“It has its own market and following, thus once we keep at it and quality reggae continues to be produced here, it will be embraced and, to a great extent, co-exist with the soca industry, if not go beyond, no offence intended.

“But I see everyone from toddlers to pensioners, bobbing their heads in maxi taxis, enjoying them reggae sensations. That’s what I call musical success.”

Pantin himself has high hopes of an international breakthrough.

“We had a taste of it with General Grant and the Kiskeedee Karavan a few years aback but that was more dancehall reggae than conscious but reggae nonetheless. And today it is just the case of years of preparation finally meeting opportunity. The market is wide open, thus as long as the producers and chanters who have been doing reggae underground for years continue the hard work, the music and the talent, it will stand up against time.”
March 09, 2006 07:46PM
Code-9
Red-I band
Bambu station
Midnite
Inner Visions
Umojah

Let's see. I've never heard of Code-9, so please edify me on that one. Midnite and Inner Visions have been around since the 80's... you call that "new"? I would even through Jahcob Seed into the roots band pile, but that still don't fill up my hand....
March 09, 2006 07:47PM
In response to Daniel's question on roots reggae band from st croix. Right now, there are roots reggae bands and artist that is FLOODING the music mainstream of st croix. Individuals such as Bambu Station who in a matter of fact is about to tour in europe and performed in last year's snwmf. There are also Midnite Band, Red I Band and up and coming Gravity Band that will be performing at a roots reggae festival right here in st croix. There are so much roots reggae in st croix. I agree with b. ghost. where are the roots band that is coming out of JA. I have been hearing about burning spears and others since i was a little girl. But once they are gone, who will continue the roots reggae tradition that they started for us. Who will be start the new generation of roots reggae. I think that st croix is doing an excellent job is carrying on that tradition. You ask about st. croix. have you ever been to a st croix roots reggae festival? Until you have been there and experience it for yourself, then I don't think you really and truely know about st croix and their passion for that roots reggae tune.
jb welda
March 09, 2006 07:54PM
if youre directing your comments to daniel, empress, then i think you dont really know the guys background very well.

one love
jah bill
March 09, 2006 07:54PM
> I don't think you really and truely know about st croix and their passion for that roots reggae tune.

Yeah Daniel..you should really look into this.
March 09, 2006 07:58PM
"new to the world" daniel. Burning spear, bob marley, congos, dennis brown, alton ellis, studio one, winston jarret etc. etc. etc. been known to the world for years, decades, almost half a century now.
Tru, you might not have heard fo code-9, because they mostly play locally, which is why stating that 'midnite has been around for years' is tru for local Virgin Islanders or people who caught them when they lived in DC, but they only became known on a worldwide scale very recently.
the whole entire point is this, roots music, in its classic form, cannot be found coming out of jamaica anymore.
it's really simple, and i would have thought that you Daniel, could support this, but you are more worried that i might foment argument on this board, instead of breaking down what it is i even said. Argument does not bother me. Its the classic reasoning structure, you make a statment, your breddrin criticizes and debates you on it, you tussle back and forth, and come to an agreement, or agree to disagree.
but my post is really easy to ovahs, ROOTS IN ITS CLASSIC FORM NO LONGER EMANATES OUT OF JAMAICA. p e r i o d.
March 09, 2006 07:58PM
Empress. I would be the FIRST person to proclaim that the percentage of reggae music from STX that I consider to be "roots" music exceeds the % of music from JA that is roots many times over.... But that is merely as a percentage. In sheer numbers, there are loads more roots artistsin JA then STX.

BANDS are another story. While there are nuff conscious singers/chanters from VI, there are very few 'roots' bands. Thankfully, groups like Bambu Station (who just recently relocated to STX) and Red-I are lending their skills to nuff of the singers and chanters. And the same is true in Jamaica - Very few 'roots' bands. Morgan Heritage is one 'youthful' band that I would put into this category. Bushman's band too, and Live Wyah who proved their skillz at the BMD festivals last month, but most Jamaican roots artists have to rely on studio bands or riddims to lay their roots vibes over.
MOSIAHIGH777
March 09, 2006 08:05PM
MUCH ROOTS HAILING FROM THIS ONE EARTH, LET US REMEMBER WE ARE ONE FROM ONE -UNITY NOT DIVISION SO I&I DO NOT HAVE THESE CONFLICTS. ONE LOVE!
March 09, 2006 08:10PM
"new to the world"

Ah, now I ovas... I think what you REALLY mean is KNOWN to the world....

It's true. You ask me a different question, and you might just get a different answer:

So now you can remove Don Carlos and Spear from my original list (Iqulah, Nasio, MIR and Ijahman are hardly 'known to the world'), and then add The Viceroys, The Meditations and scores of other JA artists who are really not "known" to the world even though they have been around for decades.

"the whole entire point is this, roots music, in its classic form, cannot be found coming out of jamaica anymore." Sorry, but I "Nah Support" that statement one bit. Even 25 years ago the % of roots music coming out of JA was as minimal as it is today. But if you dig beyond Jamaica's Top 20 (which right features ROOTS artists like Natural Black, Gyptian and Junior X on it) there has always been plenty of roots music to be found coming out of JA
March 09, 2006 08:15PM
b.ghost wrote:

>
> you dont have 6 fingers do you??
>

Inigo Montoya: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

Man In Black: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Inigo: My father was slaughtered by a six-fingered man. He was a great swordmaker, my father. And when the six-fingered man appeared and requested a special sword, my father took the job. He slaved a year before he was done.

He hands his sword to the Man In Black.

MIB: (fondling it-impressed) I have never seen its equal.

Inigo: The six-fingered man returned and demanded it, but at one-tenth his promised price. My father refused. Without a word, the six-fingered man slashed him through the heart. I loved my father, so, naturally, challenged his murderer to a duel ... I failed ... the six-fingered man did leave me alive with the six-fingered sword, but he gave me these. (He toucbes his scars.)

MIB: How old were you?

Inigo: I was eleven years old. When I was strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of fencing. So the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the six-fingered man and say, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

MIB: You've done nothing but study swordplay?

Inigo: More pursuit than study lately. You see, I cannot find him. It's been twenty years now. I am starting to lose confidence. I just work for Vizzini to pay the bills. There's not a lot of money in revenge.

Post Edited (03-09-06 12:20)

Peace,
-RV
March 09, 2006 08:40PM
ras vibration, aha man! that was funny. was that the movie with andre the giant in it??? that was pretty funny to read just now, thx.
March 09, 2006 08:44PM
Yes-I, the Princess Bride. Andre the Giant played Fezzik:

Inigo: What is that you're ripping?

Vizzini (not stopping or turning): It's fabric from the uniform of an Army officer of Guilder.

Fezzik: Who's Guilder?

Vizzini: The country across the sea. The sworn enemy of Florin. Once the horse reaches the castle, the fabric will make the Prince suspect the Guilderians have abducted his love. When he finds her body dead on the Guilder frontier, his suspicions will be totally confirmed.

Fezzik: You never said anything about killing anyone.

Vizzini: I've hired you to help me start a war. That's a prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition.

Fezzik: I just don't think it's right, killing an innocent girl.

Vizzini (whirling on Fezzik): Am I going mad or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass.

Inigo: I agree with Fezzik.

Vizzini (in a fury): Oh. The sot has spoken. What happens to her is not truly your concern -- I will kill her -- And remember this -- never forget this -- when I found you, you were so slobbering drunk you couldn't buy brandy -- (now to FEZZIK, who retreats as much as he can while Vizzini advances) -- and you -- friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless -- Do you want me to send you back to where you were, unemployed in Greenland?

During this, Inigo has gone close to FEZZIK, who is very distressed at the insults he's just received. As Inigo casts off.

Inigo (softly): That Vizzini, he can fuss. (a slight emphasis on the last word)

Fezzik (looking at Inigo): ... fuss ... fuss ... I think he likes to scream at us.

Inigo: Probably he means no harm.

Fezzik: He's really very short on charm.

Inigo (proudly): Oh, you've a great gift for rhyme.

Fezzik: Yes, some of the time.

Vizzini (whirling on them): Enough of that.

As they sail off, we hear their voices as the boat recedes.

Inigo: Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?

Fezzik: If there are, we'll all be dead.

Vizzini: No more rhymes now, I mean it.

Fezzik: Anybody want a peanut?

Post Edited (03-09-06 13:22)

Peace,
-RV
jb welda
March 09, 2006 11:33PM
that was a great movie. not roots but great. i took a girlfriends daughter to it kind of dreading it but really loved it in spite of myself.

one love
jah bill
March 09, 2006 11:50PM
How Could you Talk about Reggae bands from the(V.I)and not talk about(Reggae Bubblers)? They have(2)albums and(2)Various Out right now! When talking about
the(Bands)Out of the(V.I)InI Know Of?
1)Midnite
2)Bambu Station
3)Reggae Bubblers
4)Jahcub Seed
5)Umojah
6)Inner Visions
7)The Ancients(Currently in America)
8)MessenJah(Listen to there 2k6 Release)New*
*Just to Name a Few Many More on the Rise!
March 10, 2006 12:06AM
9. D.A.P.

Greetings Xkaliba...nice to see you turn up here from time to time.

What projects are you working on right now? Respect, MK
March 10, 2006 12:53AM
Greetings,Mk, Right now I am Featured on(2)New Compilations out of the(V.I.)for
2006(Itinualjah)and(Outhouse Vol.1) InI Recently recorded with(Reggae-Bubblers)
Couple weeks Back for(Blackstarliner Pt.3)coming out this Summer! Hopefully by then my Debut Album will Be out thru(Natural Vibes)! InI Plan to Continue Recording and Performing whenever InI get the oppurtunity,and looking Forward to Passing Thru(CA)or the(West-Coast)Anytime Soon(JAH-Willing)Bless*
March 10, 2006 12:59AM
Thanks for the update..

Nice to see that Cheech and Hayba have another release in the works..is Blackstarliner 3 another compilation with multiple artists?

I'll look out for your new works, and look forward to the time when you reach the left coast. Respect, MK

Ras easy Joe
March 10, 2006 11:10AM
Like it or not, Vi music run tings! JA Ain roots no mo!
March 10, 2006 01:44PM

>Re: who else do you want?
>Author: b.ghost (---.snvacaid.covad.net)
>Date: 03-07-06 15:30

>daweh congo
>Sizzla
>Nasio fontaine
>Midnite

Hey b.g., first VI group on your list only rate fourth. lol
daweh - jamican
How about Warrior King and also Jah Cure?
On the other side, the first time I saw Midnite at SNWMF several years ago, I thought thank you Lord roots shall live on. The road is a hard place to live as a musician. Spear, IV, Abysinians, Culture, Gladiators and the other lions not getting any younger. Am on my knees thanking them when the Lions are in the hourse that they still carrying the message forth. I don't really understand the V.I. vs. Jamica thang. Nationalism is for Babylon. Weren't the country boundaries of Jamica and Virgin Islands defined by European slaveholders? I get the identification of place in sports as a surrogate of competition of tribes without violence (supposedly) but not with music which transcends turf.
March 10, 2006 01:49PM
yes malcolm,
praises to the musicians who carry forward the roots music wherever deh be...
don julio
March 10, 2006 04:01PM
People have included the following JA artists in roots category in this thread:

Lutan, Fantan, Perfect, Nat. Back, Sizzla.

Now I like at least some songs by all these artists, but in order to include them in roots category my personal definition, or feeling, of what is roots would have to significantly change.

Now I know I am in the presence of some people who have followed reggae for longer than me and have probably thought about this more, so please enlighten me.

How do you make a distinction between roots and dancehall? Is their a simple way to define it?

Does it lie strictly in instrumentation, or strictly in vocal style, combination?

the reason i ask is that i sat here trying to define precisely why i dont think the above artists are roots reggae, but i couldnt find the words.

Any input appreciated.

March 10, 2006 04:14PM

Post Edited (03-10-06 08:15)
March 10, 2006 04:14PM
To me, roots is a type of MUSIC, not a label to be placed on an artist. I would classify the majority of Sizzla's works to be dancehall. But works such as "Black Woman and Child" are clearly ROOTS selections in my book. I have similar views regarding Natural Black and Perfect, and the inverse view for Lutan and Fantan (ie. mostly roots tunes with some dancehall), but that could just be the tunes from them that I have been exposed to.
March 10, 2006 04:38PM
So roots is a bit more of a vague term? Does it not refer to a specific vocal style and/or instrumentation, but simply as those recordings which, in your opinion, constructively further reggae music as a whole? The modern classics? just curious.
March 10, 2006 04:43PM
Well, i think Binghi Ghost was pretty close to what I would deem to be roots music, though the part about live instrumentation is preferable, but not mandatory...

Roots = live instrumentation behind conscious lyrics with slow tempos and bubbling skanks.
March 10, 2006 04:56PM
alright -i can feel that definition.

However - i would also place a asterick on the tempo part. There are some mighty fast studio one roots tunes.

I guess, as with many musical terms, the definition is hard to nail down and subject to some personal opinion/interpretation

Thanks
March 10, 2006 05:06PM
slow anf 'fast'-ish...
lyrical content? there are lovers tunes,
'singing' is usually the preferred style...
skank may bubble but not always,
add real horn(s) at times
March 10, 2006 05:12PM
BLESSED LOVE AND GREETINGS TO ALL!!!

I TOOK A BREAK FROM THE BOARDS, BUT NOW I'M BACK. I'VE BEEN READING ABOUT THE ROOTS MUSIC MOVEMENTS AND I WANT TO SPREAD A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE AROUND THE PLACE. I BEEN FEELING WHAT EVERYONE HAS BEEN SAYING ABOUT THE MUSIC TAKING A TURN INTO PLACES UN-KNOWN. EVEN THOUGH I, MYSELF AM FROM THE VI(ST.CROIX) OUR MUSIC IS BECOMING TO COMERCIALIZED. MIDNITE BAND USE TO TICKLE THE NERVES, BUT SINCE LOSING THOSE MEMBERS THEY'VE LOST THAT LUSTER. BUT, JAH SAIS BELIEVE IN I AND I AND I SHALL PROVIDE A WAY. THAT NEW WAY IS A NEW AND EXCITING BAND STR8 OUTTA THE HEART OF ST. CROIX (D.A.P.P BAND). THE BAND IS COMPRISED OF SOME FACES YOU MAY KNOW AND SOME NEW COMERS YOU DON'T. THE HEART TREMBLING BASSLINE FROM PIXS(PHIL MERCHANT) AND THE CLASSIC 1 DROP FROM BOSI(DION HOPKINS), THE BLUES & FUNK SOUND FROM ABIJAH'S GUITAR,AND THE SWEET MELODIC VOICE OF JUNIOR P(FORMER WRITER AND COMPOSER FOR MIDNITE BAND). YES ALL KING-MAN AND EMPRESS, THEY ARE BACK AND COMING WITH THE MESSAGE. THIS BAND IS SICK WITH THE TUNES. THE MUSIC IS BETTER THAN EVER. THE BAND LOOKS LIKE THEY'VE FOUND A NEW REASON TO LOVE WHAT THEY ARE DOING. EVERYONE LOOKS HAPPY AND RE-VITALIZED. I HAD A CHANCE TO SAMPLE THE MUSIC, AND BY THE TIME I WAS FINISHED, JAH KNOWS I WAS THINKING MIDINITE WHO??

BROTHERS AND SISTA'S I ENCOURAGE YOU TO LISTEN TO THIS MUSIC. I DON'T THINK THE GOT A WEBSITE BUT YOU CAN CALL ANY OF THE MEMBERS TO GET A SAMPLE OF THESE TUNES.
March 10, 2006 05:24PM
> ...and subject to some personal opinion/interpretation

BOOM, deh it is...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 10, 2006 05:31PM
Skank is skank and bubble is bubble.!

March 10, 2006 05:41PM
bubble skank vs. skank...use one here, the other there. without either, your sound falls flat.

Large up D.A.P. everytime, got some brand new riddims with Dion and Phil holding down the rudder during this rootsical boatride....all i can say is...
BOOOOOM.
March 10, 2006 05:44PM
YES-I FATHER.

HOPEFULLY THE I CAN ALSO SAMPLE THE MUSIC I'M SPEAKING ABOUT. THROUGH SOME BACK CHANNELING, I WAS ABLE TO GET A HOLD OF PIhot smileyPHIL'S)PERSONAL PHONE NUMBER (340)277-2895 I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO CALL AND FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THIS MOVEMENT. I THINK YOU'LL BE JUST AS IMPRESSED ABOUT THIS BAND AS I AM. THIS IS NOT JUST "some personal opinion/interpretation", BUT FACT.
March 10, 2006 06:40PM
A comment about bubble organ in the VI music. When I'm listening to Bahilman's show @ work and all I hear is the bubble from the other end of the shop, I know he's playing a VI cut...now I love a good organ bubble, but I feel it should be down in the mix blending with the other instruments, more felt than heard...imho a bubble cranked way up in the mix is a way of compensating for a lack of other things going on in the music, such as horn lines, guitar riffs, pick guitar, percussion, etc. It takes more than a bubble (or skank for that matter) for roots reggae. Roots is a tribal music, all the instruments are riddim instruments, playing together in communion to create a whole that's greater than the sum of the parts.
joseph
March 10, 2006 06:55PM
XKALIBA! Love that tune you did on Outhouse Vol 1. Who, Who are the gal of mi dreams, african daughter she an african queen, Mi nah wan no gal who a gwaan like delilah, mi nah wan nah gal who a gwaan like medussa, WHO!!!

Hope to see Batize in the Ghetto released soon. BIG
March 10, 2006 06:58PM
Stamina!, can you recommend some good players, or particular tracks even, who have in all of those elements.....drum, bass, keys, guitar, percussion, horns, binghi drum......all the elements??? would be much appreciated.
give thx,
bg
jb welda
March 10, 2006 07:09PM
bunny wailers rock and groove album for a start b ghost.

most greensleeves records from the early 80s featuring roots radics, but esp barrington levy youthman, michael prophet gunman, cultural roots hell a go pop (no radics but fine anyhow), frankie paul tidal wave, pretty much any of the dub albums from that time.

most all those elements anyway, maybe not heavy on the bingi drum.

i always appreciate a good percussionist in a live performance; really spices things up, even more than horns.

one love
jah bill
March 10, 2006 07:24PM
BG you'll hear these things together throughout the Studio One/Treasure Isle catalog...that was the music that roped me into reggae in the first place...then go to Channel One, Revolutionaries, Joe Gibbs, Harry J...not saying every cut will have all those things, but you should find plenty; and great balancing/mixing too, to give the music a wholeness, fullness and unity...
March 10, 2006 07:34PM
after checking 'then & now' ways of recording reggae music, there is a glaring disparity that leaves todays reggae music sounding waaaay different from the sounds of the 70's. it must be a combination of many things making the sound from then til now so different...but among the key elements....the fact that those same musicians and studios used in recording the artists you and Jahbill just mentioned, was the use of 1" reel-to-reel tape to record all live instrumentation, with cutting out the mistakes and splicing in the fix. This seems to have brought the "WARMEST" sound possible to these classic grooves, and now, everything has gone the way of the unforgiving & hard edged digital format. How can it be that a group of jamaican musicians in the yesteryear days of the 70's/80's had all the right ingredients needed for making those BOOOOM foundation albums, with minimal technolgies, while today's studio's have everything at their disposal yet cannot come close to mirroring the sound from that era???
a wah mek?
Why didnt any of that info get passed down the line to the new generation????
the sound is like night and day from then to now.
March 10, 2006 07:42PM
>everything has gone the way of the unforgiving & hard edged digital format

I would agree with that Binghi. I think that is why "Ras Mek Peace" absolutley blew my mind when I heard that rich analog sound coming from a modern work.

Check the Wildchild website to read about their recording techniques..

Our recording technology is equally radical. We design and build, or custom-modify, all of our electronics from microphones to tape recorders to wires. All must meet standards well beyond commercial state-of-the-art. We record live to two-track analog, transfer to digital at a rate 100 times faster than the CD standard, and use no add-on EQ, reverb or noise reduction electronics. Our recordings are made with only 2 to 4 microphones and no cables longer than 20 feet. The resulting sound has startling, "in-the-room" clarity, brilliance, spaciousness and dynamics.

[www.mapleshaderecords.com]

Re: IF it WERE NOT for S W E E T R O O T S M U S I C.......
March 10, 2006 10:12PM
great recommendations JB & Stamina!
TrinityMLK....that album slipped my mind completely. wikid piece ah work for sure.
bun
March 11, 2006 02:14AM
bun
March 11, 2006 02:25AM
March 11, 2006 04:22AM
hate to further fuel the fire, but isn't Natural Black from Ghana, not JA?
BG
March 11, 2006 02:49PM
guyana @ tahoearmada.
yeah mon
March 13, 2006 03:13PM
FORWARD THE VIBES FROM DAPP!!!!
"BUT SINCE LOSING THOSE MEMBERS THEY'VE LOST THAT LUSTER"...
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! THERE ARE QUITE A FEW PEEPS THAT FEEL THE SAME WAY---I JUST DON'T SAY NOTHING CAUSE I DON'T WANT THE WHOLE BOARD JUMPING ON MY BACK!
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR DAPP AT SNWMF.....SWEET SWEET MUSIC---PHILS BASS IS LIKE THUNDER---BOSIE IS TOO CLASSIC & NO ONE CAN TOUCH ABIJAH!
jb welda
March 13, 2006 04:47PM
well i have to give bingi ghost respects on one thing at the very least: what he says about roots and culture coming from vi was demonstrated very well friday night with the i grade showcase, showcasing pure roots and culture with quality.

i dont agree its the only place to find roots these days but i will say without a doubt its one of the major places to find quality roots music.

one love
jah bill
March 13, 2006 05:54PM
DID you hear Kenyatta's BOOOOM! bass on friday night!!!?
whatta ting!!!!

I havent felt earthquake like that in a looooong time.

big respect Jah Bill, still didnt meet ya tho!
March 13, 2006 06:01PM
Binghi,
great job on the tune saturday. Got a rough mix version I can send you. We dj'ed at a party after that session, wound up having to play the song for them all about 4 times they were feeling it so much. Can't wait to check out the live show. Jah bless

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
March 13, 2006 06:54PM
ras james, give thx breddrin.....yu, my bredda, made one BIG BOOM riddim. made it easy for me to voice with vibes man.
i would love to hear it!

send to the email if yu can...

jahbless7us@yahoo.com

bless

bg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login