Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae Photography

Posted by Frenchie 
Reggae Photography
March 13, 2006 08:34AM
Here are some websites where some of my pictures of reggae shows and festivals are posted:

[www.photoshelter.com]

[www.kjee.com]

[www.geocities.com]

Please give me some feedback.

Frenchie

Re: Reggae Photography
March 13, 2006 05:59PM
C'est magnifique Frenchie, merci beaucoup pour les photo smiling smiley
March 15, 2006 12:18AM
Thank you! great pics!!
March 15, 2006 04:21AM
Nice works Frenchie!

Didn't you take a photo of me once?

I believe i still owe you something for that photo! Still one of my favorites....

Name your price.

Bless,

Christopher
March 15, 2006 01:58PM
Frenchie! I love seeing your photos. I especially love the international aspect. Would you drop me a line, s'il vous plait? I, too, am a reggae photo-nut (speaking for myself of course) and would love to link you up with some others!

mon plaisir!

sisirie@io.com

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
March 15, 2006 07:37PM
Thank you all for your nice words.

Yes Christopher I did take this picture. Monterey was really nice.

I love photographing reggae shows. Many people told me that I have a good eye. I try to capture some emotions, the passion and energy of the artists on stage.... I have been doing this for a couple years now and keep trying to get better and better camera equipment (mostly pro lenses those days) to improve the quality of my pics. I also hate using flash. First because it remove a lot of the color atmosphere of shows and second because it is quite bothering for the audience and performers to get hit by this bright thing. I got lots of support for my work and I would like to thank in particular our local reggae dj "the Cool Ruler" (on kjee in Santa Barbara) for all his help.
And definitely, I love sharing my pictures. There is no point having a huge collection of pictures, if nobody sees them.
For real reggae pictures lovers, there is a possibility to order prints directly on the photoshelter website. You need to register first (free) then add the pics you want to your cart (from 4x6 to 8x10 prints) ,pay with paypal, then they are sent directly at the adress you choose. I love this website. It simplifies my life so much.

Well, I'll keep you posted ever time I get a new gallery posted.
thanks again

A bientot
Frenchie

March 15, 2006 09:45PM
Frenchie, have you ever experienced artists being upset about selling their photos? I am just curious because I have refrained from doing so after hearing from many artists why they sometimes do not allow photo taking at the gigs. I have thousands of artist photos and have never sold any because of that dilema. How do you handle that?

Post Edited (03-15-06 13:56)

March 16, 2006 01:33AM
Sista Irie, I am very aware about this reluctance of artists of having their pictures sold. And like you I was refrained of selling them. But so many people kept asking me for prints, it became unmanageable. That's why I am using that website now.

The main thing is that I don't sell prints to make money, I don't even cover my expenses for the website fees and commissions and prints ...

When an artist ask me why I am taking so many pictures, I explain to him that I do it primarly for the local radio website and also for my personal website in order to help promote reggae around here. (My main goal is actually to have my pics published in one of the French reggae magazine but so far they have been quite reluctant to the idea of pics of shows in the US.) I often give artists some 5x7 or 8x10 prints of one of their previous shows. They are usually pretty happy about it.

But I don't believe artists should be upset of people selling their pictures, if it is done for a reasonable price. I have seen people on the web selling pics of singers for 50$ and more. That's a bit ridiculous. Serious photographer spend a lot of time and a lot of money taking those photos. It's a real job. They should be able to be awarded somehow for it. Moreover, I think it can help the music business. In the music business, you don't just sell music but also an image of yourself. How you behave on stage is important. How the pictures on your album cover look like. How you interact with fans is important. There are also a lot of other kind of merchandizing clothing, posters,...Fans like to own something that make them feel closer to their favorite artist. Lots of fan want those pictures.

All in all, I just wanted to say that now that I know the music business better, I don't really feel guilty anymore selling those photos. I want to emphasize that I am not doing it for the money. And by the way, it's a friend musician (touring drummer) that kind of pushed me to do it.
March 16, 2006 02:42AM
Frenchie, thanks for this honest and heartfelt answer. As I said, I too, have struggled with the same situation as I have had requests for my photos as well. So far I have not sold them but it has been a hard decision. I did create a handmade line of cards for Luciano and gave them to him. They were beautiful and I would love to make them available to others but I promised I would not without his permission. I may ask at some time and give the proceeds to the Jamaica National Children's Home.

you can't really see the nuances of the colors of the envelopes vs the actual cards but here are three of the series.

Post Edited (03-15-06 18:57)

Lori
March 16, 2006 02:48AM
sis your pictures are one of a KIND!
March 16, 2006 02:58AM
Thanks Lori! I always appreci-love your comments. I believe it was you who took that great photo on the Itals cd cover...wasn't it? That was a beautiful shot!

March 16, 2006 03:11AM
Nice Sista Irie,
I really love the middle one. Love the colors!

This is quite a dilemma. It can seem wrong to sell those pictures but it also seems wrong (at least to me) not to share them. I give a lot of free prints too but sometimes people try to take advantage of it and don't really appreciate the work I put on those pics. So now, I restricted to give it away for free only to the persons that are on the pictures and close friends that honestly support my photographic work. Giving the proceeds to a non-profit Jamaican organization is a very good idea. I would do it if ever I start making a little profit on the sell. As I said it's very far to be the case.

I appreciate having someone to talk about those kind of things.
Thanks Sista Irie
March 16, 2006 03:43AM
I remain in your debt for the photo... Have I nothing you want?

Christopher
March 16, 2006 03:54AM
me too, frenchie. let's keep it going...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login