Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Barbados Reggae Festival

Posted by Sista Irie 
Barbados Reggae Festival
March 15, 2006 09:50PM
I normally go to Western Conscious ness when I can. I noticed this year that the line-up was not as strong as previous years or at least not yet. Then I found the Barbados Reggae Fest is going on same weekend. The lineup is Luciano, Morgan Heritage, Buju Banton, Anthony B, Third World, Marcia Griffiths, John Holt, Ernie Smith and Ken Lazarus. This sounds wonderful to me and I might even consider going. Does anyone have recommendations about where to stay there?

I have always loved David Kirton's music and would like to meet up with him if I do go.

link: [www.barbadosreggaefestival.net]

I am particularly interested in whether anyone else here has been or is planning on going as well as places to stay~

give thanks~ sis irie

Post Edited (03-15-06 13:51)

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
baykay
Re: Barbados Reggae Festival
March 15, 2006 11:26PM
the line-up for farley hill looks good, although i've been to that venue and the babylon security was tight.
i know a binghi man who might be able to offer his residence as a guest house type thing
March 16, 2006 12:20AM
binghi man guest house type thing would be ideal. he and my husband can sit and reason away. if you want to share any info privately my email is sisirie@io.com

March 16, 2006 05:27AM
When I went to Barbados for their Cropover Festival I stayed at a Hotel called "Time Out at the Gap" about $115 per night, I thought it was OK although there maybe better places for the money, check tripadviser.com for rates and reviews. Compared too Jamaica, everything there is quite a bit more expensive and of course, the people are far more conservative and proper, buts its very nice and the people are very friendly...we enjoyed our visit there for sure.
We especially liked the flying fish sandwichs and the Friday Night Fish Fry at Osteins(sp?) on the South Coast is quite a happening, check it out if you get a chance.
March 16, 2006 05:46AM
Well BIM is my second home; if it's only yourself I could give you a link to stay somewhere in St MIchael for a very reasonable price.
Not sure about hotels, but the island is nuff....Baxters Street is famous for its fly fish, St Lawrence Gap in Christ Church has alot of bars, clubs & very tourist-friendly. And of course Bridgetown with its bargain after bargain.
And yea, tourists aren't harrassed nearly as much as other places in the C'bean (especially JA).

March 16, 2006 06:12AM
04.28.06 to 04.30.06 checked the web site. not the same weekend
baykay
March 16, 2006 07:27AM
let me check my scene and the binghi man... i'll get back to you soon, i just don't know what his runnings are right now. he should be receptive though.
March 16, 2006 12:44PM
Western Conscious ness is April 29th and the Barbados Festival is 4-28 until the 30th. Wouldn't that make it the same weekend?

Give thanks to everyone for the added information. Both my husband I would be going. I am still trying to decide since it takes 12 hours to get there from here and I only wanted to go for four or five days. Finding a reasonable place to stay would help me decide. The hotels I have found so far are too big (like all inclusive type megahotels) and touristy. I would really like a small guest house or something more local-ish.

Please tell the binghi man that my husband is an older binghi rasta as well. Maybe he would be more comfortable considering renting to us. Does this mean there is a rasta presence in Barbados? I know David Kirton hails from there.

Give thanks to all!

Post Edited (03-16-06 06:20)

March 16, 2006 04:32PM
Forgot to mention the Maresol Apartments, like $70 per night and right next to Dover Beach in the St. Lawrence Gap...a more local atmosphere then most hotels in that area. Here's the website: [www.maresolbeach.net]
March 16, 2006 06:36PM
Rhythmwize...thanks for the referral. That looks very inviting. Close to the show and airport but still on a beautiful beach~
baykay
March 16, 2006 07:25PM
there's definately a rasta presence in bardown. i'd say possibly more organized and prominent than on other islands. fyi, the show looks to be divided in 2 at different locations. luciano them look to be playing at farley hill, which is not close to the gap, it's up on the northwest. marcia griffiths and the rest ldo ook like there playing closer to bridgetown, kinda between there and the south coast.
baykay
March 16, 2006 07:35PM
sis irie, just sent you an email...
March 16, 2006 07:49PM
Yeah, thats right across the street from Time Out at the Gap where we stayed.
A Bajan guy from NYC told me about it and said it was good and much cheaper then where we were staying. And Dover Beach is very nice, not as nice as Negril but hey, its hard to find a nicer beach then Negril. Theres a place up the street
called the Reggae Lounge which might be worth checking out as well.
March 16, 2006 07:55PM
Yes Sis, nuff nuff bonafide Ras in Barbados...although like the rest of the WI they are not respected by the majority of the populace.

March 16, 2006 11:38PM
All of you are incredibly helpful. Give thanks for all the info. I suspect once you fly in it is not hard to get places by cab and sometimes even by bus?

I emailed the event a few days ago but have not heard back. Again, thanks to all for the help and the emails. I will answer them within a day~

March 17, 2006 12:51AM
rhythmwize: I also stayed at Time OUt at The Gap last year for the Crop Over festival. It was fine for what I spent in the room but yes, there are more resonable places at the St. Lawrence Gap. I too, went to the Reggae lounge almost every night and found it pretty entertaining.

A Total must is Friday Night Fish Fry at Osteins!! the best meal I had in a long time..

The beaches were much nicer on the other side of the Island I found.

I did appreciate the good organization of things though, was a welcomed chance compared to JA.

I would definilty go back to Barbados but this year I will check out St. Lucia!

This is a good site visit for some info on Bajan land.

[www.barbados.org]
March 17, 2006 02:14AM
which side is the other side? Are the best beaches on the south side?

baykay
March 17, 2006 02:21AM
i think the beaches are nicer on the west coast, e.g. paradise beach & speightstown
too many people in the south
baykay
March 17, 2006 02:22AM
or the east coast for fewest people
March 17, 2006 04:35AM
The East coast or Atlantic ocean side of all these islands in the chain are less inhabited as the West and South. The water is actually pretty rough on the Atlantic side and not good for swimming for most people.

The West and South sides have the best beaches, probably because the Caribbean Sea is much calmer and a better environment for the coral which produce that white sand. Note, in Jamaica, Negril's beautiful 7 mile white sand beach is on the West Coast, not the East.

Ive never been up the West Coast of Barbados but thats where all the rich people hang out, or so Im told. Wouldn't you know it, they somehow find the best spots...ha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login