Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

clash!

clash!
March 16, 2006 05:00AM
look my youth - rasta james rasta lame whateva...
i dont wanna hear broken silence come out your mouth!
especially if you dont kno what your talkin about...
my youth, ive been collecting records (vinyl) long before you knew what reggae music was! gunshot str8
Re: clash!
March 16, 2006 05:05AM
Uhh,.... What?

-={Truth to All}=-
March 16, 2006 05:09AM
No disrespect was meant, I was under the impression that you did your set on CD. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
March 16, 2006 05:10AM
lol@gunshot. I never knew they had shottas in Marin County...

and why does it matter if a sound plays their dubplates on CD or steel, anyway.

Post Edited (03-15-06 21:11)
March 16, 2006 06:12AM
March 16, 2006 06:52AM
doesn't matter to me at all Chimino, but on another thread somebody (I believe Jahmeek) asked if that clash involved CD sound systems, and so I responded.

Post Edited (03-15-06 22:53)

V DOSIA
March 16, 2006 07:02AM
Big Up Danz One/Broken Silence Sound!!!!

I hope yo see you at the clash! and i heard about you inteneded motives concerning my cell phone!!!! Swindling Jesus.......
hit me up!!!
blessed love
-Young V Doisa

PS: i got a chance to hear some of at unrealeasd material from a certain someone..LOL!!!!!!!!!the poeople don't know what they are in for when they hear those new tunes!!!!!
Michael Corleone
March 16, 2006 02:30PM
Dan-
Hit me up today. ill bring that kaos pad and the coffin over.
March 16, 2006 03:15PM

... BIG siiiiighhhhh ...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 16, 2006 04:28PM

Broken Silence: I can't recall what format you guys were playing a few years back when I checked you at the clash in Oakland @ the Warehouse, but I was really impressed, and still feel you guys should have been declared the winners.

Your dubs were good, but the way you played them was AWESOME, and the energy you guys put out too. To be honest, I can't even remember who won that night, just remember it wasn't you, and that sucked. I headed for the door to avoid the bottles that were about to fly when they gave it to someone else...

RESPECT!
-Spleece
jb welda
March 16, 2006 05:05PM
that is SO funny...ive seen pics of this broken silence kid and him calling someone "youth" in a derogatory way? LOL LOL LOL.

*where* do these people come from?

one love
jah bill
March 16, 2006 06:49PM

>*where* do these people come from?

Our mothers' wombs? rasta smiley)

-s
March 16, 2006 07:43PM
<ive seen pics of this broken silence kid and him calling someone "youth" in a derogatory way>

How can you tell he's calling someone "Youth" in a derogatory way from pictures?

Were you there?

One love
eric v
March 16, 2006 07:50PM
Broken Silence....classic "sound nah have sense/only the selector weh behind it".

Spleece I agree they have tune, but they don't know how fi play them. That clash they lost cos they played an ELEPHANT MAN tune in dub-fi-dub. (My brethren Krossfyah took the trophy)
The Fully Loaded dance this past summer which was supposed to be a bashment affair they DIDN'T play their Ele, Spragga, etc tunes, only rub-a-dub clash tunes (dance flopped).

Maybe they've matured musically but the above posting makes me think not. We'll see...

jb welda
March 16, 2006 07:52PM
try to follow along eric, his first line in the first post of this thread:

>look my youth - rasta james rasta lame whateva...

one love
jah bill
March 16, 2006 07:55PM

>That clash they lost cos they played an ELEPHANT MAN tune in dub-fi-dub.

Ah! That's right! There was some crazy rule about that. As I recall, there were some crazy rules all night at that spot...

-s
V DOSIA
March 17, 2006 04:35AM
may i ask any of you season'd ventrans of the reggae world to enlighten me on the phrase 'dub-fi-dub' ....i know all about dub but not 'dub-fi-dub'????
V DOSIA
March 17, 2006 04:39AM
P.S. I have the reason to believe that Broken Silence will win tomarow night i just got off the phone with the almighty Jah and he told me to tell everyone down here on earth that Broken Silence Sound has the power from the most high and could very well possibly ....put the other soundsytems to shame!!!!
March 17, 2006 04:41AM
V Dosia, as I understand it, the dub-fi-dub round is where the sound can only play their dubplates. Perhaps some of the people more versed in the clash culture around here can explain in further detail. Peace

V DOSIA
March 17, 2006 04:54AM
PS for those of you who have nothing to do besides editing posts that you do not agree with, and using that as a basis of arguing ...sound clash is on saturday night not friday !!!!!

Thanks for the information Rasta James..i definitly heard that term before but was looking for more of an exact meaning....

peace in the middle east
jb welda
March 17, 2006 05:01AM
sorry, no one can edit posts made by anyone but themselves, aside from the moderator of the forum there dosia...so if you think someone edited your post youre probably wrong.

one love
jah bill
V DOSIA
March 17, 2006 05:09AM
i don't think anyone edited my post but, i made an honest mistake and i was correcting myself before someone else did, because we have a whole editing team here on this message board who enjoys talking trash to people who mispell word and or post false information.....
V DOSIA
March 17, 2006 05:10AM
I think i forgot to say something.....BIG UP TO BROKEN SILENCE
Borat Yequeshmesh
March 17, 2006 05:18AM
dub fi dub is usually in the final round of a clash when its been narrowed down to 2 sounds, and they trade off playing their dubs..... its usually foundation chune only, that's why a sound nuh have sense playin Ele in a dub fi dub

jb welda
March 17, 2006 05:20AM
oh i see, thats cool.

by the way im the head of the editing team so watch yer step! we just live to find isreals and wrong dates. look at it as a feature, not a bug.

:-)

mostly youll find that correcting false info is done as a service, dont take it as "talking trash"...you dont want people showing up the wrong day do you?

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 17, 2006 05:25AM
by the way dosia, thanks for cooling down some star. i think youll find most people around here give respect for respect but if someone wants to talk crap theres more than one person around here to prove they can talk more crap, so its really not very productive. best to keep cool and calm. remember its just a message board.

big up to broken silence too, its good to see the youth keeping up the pressure; its just that introducing yourself by taking potshots at others isnt gonna get you anywhere around here. and ras james does more for reggae in a week than most of us do for it in a year...thats my experience anyway.

one love
jah bill
March 17, 2006 06:08AM
dub-fi-dub is the final round of a clash (if the clash is close, otherwise not necessary) which sounds play one dubplate each until a winner is declared.
It's supposed to be the point in a clash where a sound plays its biggest tunes, and there's an unwritten (or sometimes written) rule those tunes shoud be foundation/singing music.

March 17, 2006 02:59PM
foundation rule that ...this aint some "crazy" one night rule.
worldwide rule....

Post Edited (03-17-06 07:23)
KiLLa
March 18, 2006 02:31AM
in my personal opinion BROKEN SILENCE SOUND is the **** and will FOR SURE win the clash on saturday. I dont know what y'all are smoking but pass it over this way cuz you're straight out of your gords. BIG UP TO BROKEN SILENCE SOUND AND MY HOMIE DANS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BROKEN SILENCE IS THE **** AND YOU'RE ALL JUST JEALOUS CUZ THEY HOT AND YOU'RE NOT!!!
March 18, 2006 06:12AM
uh-huh...

@joshua: exactly. Certain sounds like Bass Odyssey did try bypass that rule tho..

Post Edited (03-17-06 22:25)
KiLLa
March 18, 2006 06:33AM
exactly what? BIG UP TO MY BOY DANS ONE AND BROKEN SILENCE SOUND. THEY GUNNA KILL EM AT THE CLASH AND YOU ALL KNOW IT!
KiLLa
March 18, 2006 06:34AM
you're all smoking crystal meth
March 18, 2006 07:45AM
Yes, that must be us. lol

Post Edited (03-17-06 23:45)
riffy
March 18, 2006 08:12AM
lil' killa - "don't vex, just cool." - Horsemouth
V DOSIA
March 18, 2006 09:24AM
I heard a rumor somewhere that the Sonoma crew was going to be going crazy 'dummy - retarded' right up front during the soundclash in support of broken silence!!!! anyone hear else catch wind of this???
riffy
March 18, 2006 09:35AM
VD - you clownin
March 18, 2006 05:26PM
Gosh I wish a trip to JA was in order for all Trustafarian sounds

gunshot str8.....hahhahahaa Go play shotta in the street

imitation is the biggest form of flattery though
March 18, 2006 05:42PM
VD if what you say is true, from some of the posts I've read from said crew, that shouldn't take much effort.
V DOSIA
March 18, 2006 06:24PM
Clowinin' what i do best ;-)
Hey ites what are you getting at? Can you elaberate a bit more on that last post?
top notcha
March 18, 2006 07:11PM
funny to see that Silence has so many dick-riders....Congratualtions
may the best sound win
V DOSIA
March 18, 2006 08:20PM
no batty boys round here! smells like jealousy...
March 18, 2006 10:11PM
For real notcha, I will be there with an open-mind. Their crew of suburbanite supporters did make me laugh @ the West Oakland clash.

Killa
March 18, 2006 11:08PM
i heart broken silence sound! they gunna kill em tonight!

Killa
March 18, 2006 11:10PM
ps- v-dosiaaaaaaaaa u rock
top notcha
March 19, 2006 12:01AM
Remember I'm just an observer and no....not jealous of a bunch of man-fans. Tell your boy not to play those fake / spliced **** that are on his mixtapes. Keep it real and again...may the best sound win.
V DOSIA
March 19, 2006 01:00AM
not jealousy then u just sound like a straight hater ..mr man fan dangiler...
Stevo
March 19, 2006 01:48AM
Have nuff dubplate, but we nah kill no sound! Nuff dead already.
riffy
March 19, 2006 02:01AM
ring the alarm!
March 19, 2006 04:19AM

Chimino, I'm not gonna make it this time. Lemme know the outcome!

-s
March 19, 2006 04:20AM
ok. I'm also going to post the upcoming clash schedule both here and in LA....this is the first of several clashes in California to determine an eventual "King of Cali".

Michael Corleone
March 19, 2006 04:26AM
broken silence is going 2 kill it at the clash 2nite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michael Corleone
March 19, 2006 12:20PM
and he did
March 19, 2006 04:01PM
can we get a rundown of the clash?

Michael Corleone
March 19, 2006 07:42PM
1st round: lusture Kings got eliminated And Broken Silence Won That One. 2nd Round: TNT Got Disqualified for playing badmind artists. Broken Silence won That one. 3rd Round They Brought TNT back in 2 battle And Dans1 Won 3-0.

They didnt have a chance.
V DOSIA
March 19, 2006 08:39PM
Definitly! It was quite an event! Awsome sound clash....I enjoyed myself very much so! TNT was a pretty good runner up and had some good sounds but danz1 stole the show. for everybody else its back to the drawing board.......
Borat Yequeshmesh
March 19, 2006 08:48PM
what were some dubs that stand out in your memory? what got the biggest forward?

V DOSIA
March 19, 2006 09:01PM
broken silence ones from jah cure ...un-touchable
March 19, 2006 10:00PM
The clash almost ended after the emcee said TNT was disqualified...bottles flew, people ran up on the stage, etc. Then the next sound Revelation played a DJ tune in that same round, so it was a moot point.

BTW, rules in a clash are bullshite, but in the end Broken Silence won fair & square.

As far as the dub-fi-dub, it was TNT vs BS.....TNT played John Holt/Anthony Johnson/Lady Ann, BS played Toots HIbbert/Triston Palmer/Ken Boothe.

Only problem I had with BS was them playing nearly every tune the early warm sound buss in their first round. Otherwise, they ran the whole night (TNT played two big rounds but popped down in the end).

Was There
March 19, 2006 10:20PM
Lame, boring, toy, bad sound, boring plates, disappointed...

- TNT got semi-disqulified for playing DJ artists (not badmind artists) during the vocal round, yet no one called out Revelation when they played Sister Nancy in that same round.

- Broken Silence played back a tune, not counteracting enough...

Did anyone keep tally of how many fake dubplates were played? [LK/BS]

The sound was horrible- too loud or too quiet. All the mics were inaudible, even the mc. Bass distorted to the point where you couldn't hear the lyrics of the dubs.

It was confusing too with the whole "you're disqualified" and then back in the clash thing. Half of the place emptied during the drama with TNT playing Jah Mason and Chuck Fender during the vocal round.

I wish the bay could have a decent clash where the sound and rules are clear, no one hass a hissy fit on or about the stage, and the sounds can have a good honest contest.

-To the Promoter: PLEASE no more Sound Clashes at Studio Z, that place suxxxx!

~~> I ain't gonna lie though, Broken Silence killed it - Ganja Farmer, I-waynes, Ken Boothe, Richie Spice, Jah Cure. The fake Sean Paul plates didn't really do it for me though.

Funniest quote of the night- "Ay Broken Silence, your mom's at the door to pick you up" -Revelation
March 19, 2006 10:29PM
Here is a little review from a neutral party..

Lustre King played first (big disadvantage) and played some nice dubs from Lutan and Turbulence, but never engadged the crowd or threw out any real shots at the other sounds. The selections were big, but they didn't bring a war vibe.

TNT played a big first round and had the Trinidad crew really hyped. They came out to hurt some sounds and laid into Lustre King with a Turbulence counteraction, after Lustre had hyped Turbulence as an artist from thier camp. Dougie's presence on the mic made Lustre King's mic chat all the weaker by comparison.

Revelation played a nice set, but coming from San Diego they never had the crowd's support all night. They played some nice foundation dancehall.. Supercat, Sammy Dread, Johnny Osbourne and had enough tunes, but it just wasn't enough to win over a crowd that had come out to support the Bay area sounds.

Broken Silence stared the killing from early with a Big Jah Cure selection to get things going. He played enough big tunes from Luciano, Bounty, with many calling out Revelation, TNT, and Lustre Kings specifically. At one point they critically injured TNT with a big Marlon Asher Ganja Farmer..calling them for not supporting their native artist from Trinidad.

So Lustre King drop out after the first round, and Broken Silence clearly won that round with TNT coming in second and Revelation Third. The next round was supposed to be only singers and TNT comes out with a nice set, but played a Chuck Fenda and Jah Mason that were arguably DJ tunes.

The clash referree came out to announce that they were disqualified which did not go over well with Dougie or the TNT fans. A next local selector tried to go up on stage and unplug his CDJs that were being used, someone tossed beer on the stage..and things got a little ugly for a minute.

Here's a quick overview of how things proceeded..

Revelation played a solid third round, but were never going to win over the crowd who were backing Broken Silence all night.

Broken Silence played some big Sean Paul tunes straight to the other sounds head talking about "I don't really care what Revelation say, I don't really care what TNT gwan do." They sounded real enough, but granted the voice was a little lower and gritter then Sean Paul sounds on record, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

For some reason they brought TNT back for a dub fi dub with Broken Silence, although it was pretty clear that the crowd felt they should have been disqualified.

Broken Silence played a wicked piece of Toots, Dougie answered with a nice Anthony Johnson "GunShot," but couldn't hang with the Ken Booth and Triston Palmer that were drawn next.

And so it go, the cup went to Broken Silence. I went into the clash not really feeling them, but It was clear they had the biggest tunes, the biggest crowd responce, the best counteractions, and were just generally the most solid war sound in the place.
DeeCee
March 19, 2006 10:38PM
Just talked to Dans1 ...... Broken Silence gonna run the dancehall @ DeeCee's Soul Shakedown May 6th ....... Club 6 .....

Congratulations to Broken Silence Sound ..
V DOSIA
March 19, 2006 10:55PM
yeah i agree studio z kinda sucks....just don't hold it at the end up.... theres way too many battyy boys running wild round there.......my memory is a bit cloudy due to the ammount of hennessy consumed but most of the trash talking on broken silence came after the first round when the other sounds realized that they were going to have a very tough time competing against danz1. The sound leval was fine untill the second round when TNT demanded for the level to be turned up..possibly because he wasent getting enough reaction from the crowd??? after that the sound leval just stayed extreamly high and distorted, my ears are still ringing....
top notcha
March 19, 2006 11:03PM
clash input....Broken Silence did kill it, and clearly won. Except the fake Sean Paul's. Revelation...kinda boring. Lustre played first in a elimaination round and had no chance to counter-act. and got put out early.TNT killed it, but they did play Fenda, Khari Kill, Jah Mason in a singer's only round, so were disqualified. But why did they get let back in, after their whole crowd had left, with no announement from the MC? The chaos was entertainment, but overall it lacked vibes. Congrats to Silence...
March 19, 2006 11:03PM
"For some reason they brought TNT back for a dub fi dub with Broken Silence, although it was pretty clear that the crowd felt they should have been disqualified. "

incorrect, most of the crowd wanted TNT to stay. They even took a vote on it with the crowd, and the decision was clear. And like the man stated, Revelation played a DJ tune as well.

As far as the sound, TNT's set played on a different speaker box than the other sounds. TNT's was too loud from the start (it didn't get turned up mid-dance), and the other speaker set was too quiet. I was standing next to the speaker box to hear...

March 19, 2006 11:05PM
I'll say it again....rules in a clash (other than time limits per round) are always a bad idea.
Revelation didn't cut any new tune for the dance, no way they should have gone on to the next round with TNT left behind.

Michael Corleone
March 19, 2006 11:50PM
Man - Those Sean paul dubs wernt fake. There Called Specials. Dubs made just for that clash. TNT had 1 too.
March 19, 2006 11:58PM
lol, we know what "specials" are guy...actually the term for dubplates calling out other sounds in the dance is "custom-builds".
What is being disputed: whether it was actually Sean Paul who voiced the tunes.

March 20, 2006 12:12AM

>There Called Specials. Dubs made just for that clash.

NO! They are called CALL UPS: A SPECIAL is a unique tune you have voiced for you. It doesn't have to call out your or any sounds name (like a dub plate does). It just has to be a unique tune. A CALL UP is a tune that is cut to insult a specific sound. I have 'nuff of dem, yet still never play them...

-s
March 20, 2006 12:14AM

Yeah, 'custom builds' work too.

-s

P.S. THANKS for all the reviews: wish I could'a made it!
March 20, 2006 12:18AM
The videoman was wearing a "Fresno" sweatshirt, coulda sworn that was Spleece, lol.

March 20, 2006 03:04PM
wait a minute..supercat dub was played in this clash
Borat Yequeshmesh
March 20, 2006 06:54PM
Although I wasn't there, I feel pretty confident in saying....
"hell no supercat wasn't played in that clash"
please correct me if I'm wrong
I was there too
March 20, 2006 06:59PM
Actually, I could have sworn Revelation played vintage Supercat in the first round..
"kill them pu**y, have fe kill them fe fun."

Correct me if I'm wrong Chimino.
March 20, 2006 09:32PM
Yo .... big up all sounds involved & club dread..
Although not perfect.... things will definately improve im sure with the bay area clashes...
At least someone took the inititave to ATTEMPT to bring clash-vibes to the bay (and other promoters in other areas in california)...
If not.... we would just be stuck with all the local selectors (in every area) claiming "toppa top this/that" and watching other clashes (DVD's) etc...
Also ... (to my knowledge) this was the first (consecutive) clash held in the bay...so big up club dread for that (follow-thru)...
I'm sure although with the technical difficulitles etc... it was still alot of work/effort involved in putting it together...

*special invite to the bay area massive*
saturday 5/20/06 the 2nd annual "2006 Los Angeles Rumble" soundclash...
(another first ....consecutive soundclash in L.A.)
Myself (title defense) v.s. Tazmania sound (jamaica/los angeles) v.s. DJ Hire (positive rhythm sound-los angeles) & Black Love sound (oakland)

(*Tentative rules)
...plain & simple:
...dubs only....
-----
*4 sounds
*3 rounds
1 sound drop-out after each round...
---------
*Round 1= 10 min (foundation or jump-up allowed)
*Round 2= 10 min (foundation or jump-up allowed)
*Round 3= 10 min *(Tune fi Tune only if necessary... if clash TOO close to call)
If so.....3 tune fi tune (best out of 3 tunes)
www.MassiveProductions.Biz for more info..

respect.

Post Edited (03-20-06 13:36)
March 20, 2006 10:00PM
Greeting from Club Dread. Give thanks to all who showed up to our Second Annual
Sound Clash. Respect do to this years winner BROKEN SILENCE SOUND. This is our second clash and we are still going through Growing Pains
and we hope the next years clash will have fewer problems then this years. There are those who will Complain no matter what we do but they are not the majority.
I give thanks and praises for all those of you who have support CLUB DREAD in the Past, Present & in the coming future. RESPECT

JAH LOVE UNIVERSAL SOUNDS
the REAL broken silence
March 20, 2006 11:17PM
the sean paul specials were NOT fake!
those were REAL dubs !
DeeCee
March 21, 2006 12:18AM
Big up to Club Dread for putting on this event. I was sad when i found out it was on the same night as my party, because I would have loved to be there. And I know many people left my party to check your vibes. Big up to all people moving reggae in the right dirrection in the Bay. 2006 is when reggae takes over the Bay.....
March 21, 2006 12:46AM
will any audio of this clash be available?

March 21, 2006 12:56AM
Stevo
March 21, 2006 01:11AM
that is cool!
March 21, 2006 03:38AM
somebody enlighten me...I don't know the ins and outs of a sound clash. From what I've read it a DJ competiton. My asumption is it is judged by rareity of dubs and dub plates, sound quality (mixing/blending), crowd response to music played.. Can somebody please give me more insight into an actual Sound Clash Event...
Borat Yequeshmesh
March 21, 2006 03:42AM
The supercat dub could have been his younger brother Jr. Cat
March 21, 2006 04:19AM
right. "Killing Pussy" is a Junior Cat tune, from Killamanjaro on down....

JFX will have the audio soon, and big up Black Love sound representing the Town in LA this May...

March 21, 2006 05:00AM
yo chim,
keep me updated on the L.A. Clash.
i'll go check that out.
bless
tish
jb welda
March 21, 2006 06:56AM
what i would like to know is how one goes about getting a jah cure dubplate. did broken silence go to spanish town prison or what? as i understand it there are no phones allowed inside and no recorders either. i just heard a chris goldfinger interview with him and they had to sneak in a recorder under penalty i assume of not being let back out!

so how can one possibly have a legit jah cure dubplate? im not saying the guy doesnt but i would like to know how it came to be.

one love
jah bill
Stevo
March 21, 2006 08:04AM
j.p.-
That's pretty much it without getting too tech. Except I think you mean a competition between selectors AND dj's. And the crowd response is very important.
-Stevo
March 21, 2006 04:45PM

>what i would like to know is how one goes about getting a jah cure dubplate

You call up Richie, owner of Down Sound Records in JA, send him some money, and he hooks it up. It's actully not that hard...

-s
TR-808
March 21, 2006 07:14PM

i think "jah cure" has a small studio setup there in the pen

but it's a great example of how much bullshit most of this is.

these kind of clashes have less to do with skill, and depth, and more to do with who can pay more money out to JA artists for them to say you and your friends are cool, or "hard", or "dons", or "toppa top..."

it might as well all be coming from a drive-through, ahem, "dubplate" store:

"... uhh, yes. my dad gave me $1,200 for mowing the lawn... so i'd like two bounty killer, a jah cure, and a richie spice. please use the same format, formula, tone, and mix as all the others, but be sure to say my name at least twice so everyone hears it, and therefore knows it's a good dubplate."

most of this is just young man type of crap where they are on stage doing the dj-ing equivalent of spanking their own monkey, or each other's in their crew, talking about how great each other is, and stroking each other about who took their mom's money to say it too.

snore

--
jb welda
March 21, 2006 07:22PM
>i think "jah cure" has a small studio setup there in the pen

i dont know how reliable this interview with chris goldfinger was or when exactly it was done and what might have changed, but one think jah cure directly addresses is what he calls rumours about what he can and cannot do. i believe he specifically says that some people think he has a studio in prison and he says he absolutely does not and has no access at all to recording equipment. take that for what you will.

one love
jah bill
TR-808
March 21, 2006 07:24PM

ok

i don't actually care what the right answer is, i just remembered hearing that somewhere

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login