matisyahu in the jewish week

Posted by roots-ee 
matisyahu in the jewish week
March 16, 2006 05:37AM
Re: matisyahu in the jewish week
March 16, 2006 07:43AM
--> his minstrel routine may be the cleverest and most subtle yet

good one...

...Murray Forman, a professor of communication studies at Northeastern University who has written extensively about reggae and hip-hop... [has this to seh bout Matisyahoo, when comparin' two alledged "appropriators of black cultural property"] -->
“Eminem is a superior rhyme artist, he’s a skilled producer, he can freestyle, and his style is quite literally unparalleled,” ... “He’s much better than Matisyahu is in his respective category. Matisyahu will never be at the top of the reggae skill chart. He’ll never trump even half of the artists we haven’t even heard of. He is not a superior artist.”

and dis what I bin seh'in all 'long...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 16, 2006 08:10AM
think of it as a boxing analogy. Eminem is titleholder who has faced the best of the best and is now himself one of the best MC's out there. Lyrically, Delivery he is one of the best in the game. Why is he being compared to a rookie? A rookie who isn't an MC in the same sense. That is like putting I Wayne vs Ninjaman on stage at sting. Wrong place, wrong time. Matisyahu, jack of all trades master of none (not yet)
March 16, 2006 08:36AM
... lol ...

... sigh ...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
yeah mon
March 16, 2006 08:41AM
well...when slim shady came out...he was able to step to some of the best in the game...from jump street...matis..just can't say the same. PERIOD.
March 16, 2006 08:48AM
... yeah mon ...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 16, 2006 09:39AM
so you are wither the best or you are weak? You think the best to ever spit couldn't crush Eminem? He will even tell you this is so. He is nice, real nice, but he isn't the best.There were enough MC's who could have slew Eminem from the get go. The only reason he is still walking is because Canibus is a virtually unknown.
yeah mon
March 16, 2006 09:48AM
the point you were trying to make is that one was comparing eminem to a rookie..the point was that when eminem came out he was virtually a rookie as well. yes he did the underground thing..but i am sure matis was mashing it up @ the bat mitzvah's too. there will always be someone better & i am sure matis might be able to get with a couple of folks in reggae but not many...
i would still choose eminem over canibus anyway...but that is not the point...the point is------
eminem was better out the block than matis is out the block...
most people will rate eminem whether they like to listen to his music or not...
most people won't rate matis....there are some that do..but give me a choice & I would rather listen to em than matis..or 50 than matis...but i will choose matis over elephant man & shaggy!
March 16, 2006 09:53AM
--> eminem was better out the block than matis is out the block...

'cas he got skillz, which imho based on what I hear frum him, matis duz not...

and as for Shaggy OR Ele, I would much rather lissen DEM than matis...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
yeah mon
March 16, 2006 09:56AM
I can only stand to listen to shaggy, ele, or matis for about 2 songs each if that anyways--so to be honest i would rather have silence.
March 16, 2006 10:36AM
canibus slew Em iwth Stan Lives!
V DOSIA
March 16, 2006 10:37AM
Eminem is sham!!...Couldent finnish his tour because he popped to many prescription drugs then claimed he was 'tired'...If you can find any of his material before Dr Dre discovered him, it is kind of unique, but he has definitly lost his touch... The only reason he his so big is because he and 50 cent are riding the Dr Dre bangwangon and signed their souls to his lable and 'brand' all that crap is garbage... Shaggy and matis, same mainstreen crap ..pure rubbish with an FBI lable on their CD's thats usually an good indicater,,,,,, garbage garbage garbage!!
bee
March 16, 2006 11:25AM
March 16, 2006 11:53AM
why are they comparing Eminem & Matisyahu? Hmmmm.....

jb welda
March 16, 2006 11:57AM
why would anyone want that label on their release?

sounds like akbar and jeffs bootleg t shirt emporium:

we will prosecute anyone who bootlegs our bootleg t shirts to the full extent!

oh yeah, one size *must* fit all!

one love
jah bill
bee
March 16, 2006 12:10PM
they are comparing matis and em becuz they are both jewish roots rap reggae superstars... obviously...
about the anti-piracy label, I guess it is something that major record labels are required to do legally.. just a guess.. I don't know... I noticed that on welcome to jamrock it was HUGE! and buffuggly too...

but that'l really make people think twice before they burn a cd!!!
March 16, 2006 12:10PM
Chimino, didja read da jewish week article, mebbe you'd know then...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
bee
March 16, 2006 12:17PM
c'mon chimino, lets keep it real
Dr Lifty Lu
March 16, 2006 03:29PM
Eminem's ability to keep his mouth running in time to a beat is surely impressive. However, is that really enough to make him a true ARTIST? Or even a real MC? I thought these guys were supposed to be POETS! I wonder sometimes where all the Concious Hip-Hop Heads have gone to.
And by the way Bee, I'm curious as to why you would classify Eminem as a "roots rap" superstar. All he's ever done is babble slackness over DAT loops and watered-down 2Pac-esque hooks. As for Matis, he may be a poser and a pop singer, but he at least is attempting something fresh, with a little bit of positivity.
Dr Lifty Lu
March 16, 2006 03:37PM
Also, was wondering what exactly the phrase "cultural appropriation" is supposed to mean.
Ultimately, we really are one people (homo sapiens), so doesn't real art and culture belong us all?

"there's 3 kinds of people in this world. Black People, White People, and My People."

-- the Late Great Baby Huey
gardenflower
March 16, 2006 04:47PM
I pasted this excerpt from wikpaedia

"There is a natural human tendency to mimic, adopt and adapt tools and behaviors which are admired, valued, or considered useful. But when a dominant or favored group copies and begins to assimilate certain cultural aspects of another group while marginalizing, rejecting, oppressing or otherwise devaluing the people whose culture they covet, resentment and sometimes open hostility can arise among members of the originating culture. Objections have been raised towards this resentment, as some claim that it holds all members of a dominant culture accountable for the actions of those in power, while devaluing the role of the individual.

In capitalist economies, particularly, commercialization plays a central role in the packaging and marketing of cultural expression of all kinds...... Further, if the culture of origin does not receive proper credit, or its people receive little or no monetary recompense while others profit, there is often a sense of exploitation as well."

The thing is I feel that in and of itself there isn't anything wrong with musicians being influenced by one another or playing anything they want, but a particular problem seems to occur in this culture. Once the white musicians have studied and perfected the black music form, they tend to supplant the black musicians from the originating culture. I'm thinking of things that happened in the 50's- and even with those crappy boy bands in the 90's. The white musican may go on to make millions while those he or she studied languish. This isn't really the fault of the white musicians per se, but the public and marketing machine who would rather see a white artist. There could conceivably come a time when you go to a reggae festival and all or most of the artists are white.
I don't think there is anthing really that can be done-just hope that the white musicians 1. give credit to their influences ( musicians usually do this) 2. if they become major artists try to take some of those people along with-opening for them etc. etc.
3. For Godsake if the group goes on to become multi- millionaires give back something to the culture of origin. Maybe Matis can help build a hospital or something in JA..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login