Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MATISYAHU COLLABORATES WITH GLOBAL REGGAE COMMUNITY

Posted by missmarjel 
March 16, 2006 06:36PM

Matisyahu has been steadily gaining respect from the Reggae Community. This is evident as we take note of his headlining positions at all of the Raggamuffins Festivals in California during the month of February. These headlining slots are traditionally reserved for Jamaica's finest. For 25 years, reggae fans have flocked to these huge festivals, which pay tribute to Reggae icon, Bob Marley.

At the Long Beach festival, Matisyahu was joined on stage by reggae's official messenger, Luciano. Both of these artists send a positive message of goodness, spirituality and one love. To see them on stage together - one representing Judaism, the other, Rastafari sent a unified message for members of all religions.

In San Diego, Jamaica's legendary, Barrington Levy called Matisyahu on stage to join him in song. The unrehearsed improv on the mic from both of them was amazing. Barrington with his signature "diddly diddly ooooh" and Matisyahu with his Hasidic chanting were a delightful combination. The members of Barrington's backing band, Detour Posse, smiled wide as they witnessed Matisyahu ride the rhythm like a pro.

In Santa Cruz, German Reggae Superstar, Gentleman linked up with Matisyahu to perform a song or two. Matisyahu's human beat box provided the backdrop for Gentleman's energetic Dj style. Audiences were captivated each time one of these historic duets was taking place.

In Kansas City, Matisyahu invited up and coming American reggae singer, Joseph Israel (http://www.josephisrael.com) to join him for a spontaneous duet. They wrote the song together during the sound check. A roots reggae anthem aimed at exposing Babylon and its corruption. It is called "Away with This".

Matisyahu and Joseph Israel are now planning to record the song together. Israel joined Matisyahu March 11, in Austin at Stubb's for the commemoration of the widely acclaimed recording of "LIVE AT STUBBS" and March 12 in Houston.
Joseph Israel and Matisyahu will be on stage together again today in St. Louis.

It's nice to witness this kind of cross-cultural cooperation and collaboration. All in the spirit of unity and one love, reggae music keeps the global community connected.
Re: MATISYAHU COLLABORATES WITH GLOBAL REGGAE COMMUNITY
March 16, 2006 08:39PM
I can dig the cross cultural cooperation but ticket sales does not equal respect....Sorry but this is one reggae fan that just doesn't dig his "sound", the message he conveys is cool but dude kinda sounds like Wierd Al Yankovic.
March 16, 2006 09:55PM
HAHAHA,
Wierd Al,
Thats pretty funny.
I Agree J.P.
He sure has alot of MTV Air play,
But hey, someones gotta represent to the mainstream other than Sean Paul
Plus He does do "his thang" rather well..
~PKW
papa ray
March 17, 2006 06:07AM
Matis came thru St Lou yesterday, sold-out 2400 seat room, and he dropped by the store briefly---quite a year this young man has had. Due to a prior engagement
playing music, I gave the ticket given to me to, (appropriately) a nice youth named
Noah.

Whatever else,Matisyahu has a thoughtful bearing and manner, and in this
day of the crass bling-bling, get-yours/don't-think/just-try-to-be-clever,
someone who moves on a different level must be respected. He ain't no American Idol, and that's reassuring.
March 17, 2006 06:27AM
I feel reassured too Papa Ray.
Thanks for your reply.
March 17, 2006 06:34AM
it is obvious that matisyahu has caught the attention of many.
the question is ( and only time will tell eh? )
will these reggae fans stay with the reggae music and support other reggae bands/artists also?

if so, reggae music is in for a huge resurgence!!!!!!!!!!!

only jah know.

one love one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
papa ray
March 17, 2006 06:47AM
Rootsie, what's interesting to me is here's someone who comes to this music from a spiritual basis that's not Rasta, someone who for now is catching
the attention of many. That will disturb many of our generation, but the
young'uns who like this guy won't be caught up in this distinction.
March 17, 2006 06:57AM
Maits is legit. It will take him longer to get respect as defined above, but I think as long as people believe him, by that I mean believe he is being true to himself, his popularity will grow. An example of this is Sizzla, when more people believed Sizzla he was probably the most wicked MC out there. Now that he get's caught up in a lot of mess and link up with Roc a Fella starts speaking about guns and girls, he losses his power. I am not dissin sizzla this is just how I have seen it. Matis is a positive MC who plays his own style that just happens to be influenced by Reggae and Hip Hop and Jam bands along with the Crown Heights. He isn't the best at any particular thing, but there seems to be little that he cannot do well. Anyone who speaks the truth will be loved and scorned.
March 17, 2006 07:02AM
i am interested if and how this current 'phenomenon' will advance reggae music
...as i have to say again, only jah know...only time will tell...

if it helps reggae music, that is good...
if it does not, then this will be looked back as just a 'passing' thing...

mek sense?
March 17, 2006 08:02AM
But this isn't reggae music any more than it is Hip Hop or anymore than it is Jam Band Folk Style, He can have influence without impacting any particular genre of music. This is American Music meaning that it is born out of one man's musical and cultural experience of America. This should not be shocking or seen as someone trying to live off of some other culture, this is what it is to be in the U.S. right now. It seems many want to try and classify his style so that they can rate him up against others. They try any particular genre and he isn't seen as being one of the best, whether Rap, Reggae jam Band (what exactly is Jam Band style?) therefor he is seen as being a novelty, yes at first like a wierd Al. Now that he is touring and people see he is serious and makin moves people start to get out their opinions because they realize, ok this guy isn't going anywhere so now I heave to deal with him. You have to Deal with matis as something other than reggae or you do him and reggae music a disservice, this doeasn't mean he shouldn't play at reggae festivals. It just means he can also go play at High Sierra as well. I think as the world get's smaller you will see more and more hybrid artists emerging.
March 17, 2006 08:26AM
ninjacat, other than reggae?

i was under the impression ( mistaken pehaps? ) that he was being marketed as
'reggae'? ( hasidic reggae...)

for example he headlined at least the 3 raggamuffin stops in cal4nia recently...

pls keep reasoning...
March 17, 2006 08:58AM
yes marketed as hasidic reggae, people try to compare him to roots reggae. There is no standard for what exactly hasidic reggae is, thus he becomes the standard as the originator of the style of reggae music. new styles aren't anything new to reggae. Do you think that a lot of dancehall would qualify as roots reggae? of coure not. reggae has a multitude of styles and the smaller the word get's the more styles will emerge. What I was saying above is this is not traditional roots reggae music and should not be held up to that standard. Just like you wouldn't compare Bounty's Gunz on the Run to Burning Spear Man in the Hillz.
March 17, 2006 09:21AM
ninjacat,

and things like these tend to keep the public's perception of 'reggae' totally confused, hence one of the huge reasons the public cannot begin to embrace
reggae music at its real roots up to this day...

and worse yet, this same public is often scorned for not overtanding reggae,

well if the real authentic deal were posited to mr/mrs/miss/ public,
reggae music would grow and grow...

let us battle for the minds and hearts of the people!!!!!!!!!

seen?
March 17, 2006 09:24AM

... SIIIIIGHHHHHH !!! ...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
jb welda
March 17, 2006 09:28AM
i knew you would be sighing ras danny, in fact last night i was going to invite you to do so. i join you...siiiiighhhhhhh...

i only hope he will open some youths eyes to reggae music but it appears to me he is an entirely separate genre and most of his fans dont even recognize the "reggae" part.

one love
jah bill
TR-808
March 17, 2006 09:31AM

this guy stinks.. i don't care who he "collaborates" with

actually i do. i'd like him to collaborate with some musicians in the NYC subway tunnels. that would be better

--
March 17, 2006 09:56AM
Definately gotta go with Ninjacat on this one. Matis is good at what he does, but he's clearly blending diverse styles and shouldn't offend the overly protective reggae fans. I caught the show last night in STL and although the one drop certainly makes frequent guest appearances, this was definately a "rock" concert in the generic sense. I doubt many people would call a No Doubt or 311 show a "reggae concert". Matisyahu's band is a power trio more akin to a Green Day, and lacks true reggae staples like keys, horns, or any additional percussion. Hopefully the reggae massive can forgive Matis for allowing his label to market him so specifically as reggae when his biggest fans I think are more into his positive message and diverse "jam" sound. This is based on my people watching at the show last night. The most "reggae" moment was the guest appearance of Joseph Israel for his new "roots" duet with Matis, "Away with It". Unfortunately, to this listener the song and the performance both felt a little worn and uninspired. The song was aparrantely written during soundcheck a couple nights ago and suffers from unoriginality. Overall the show rated fairly highly as the band and Matis both sounded pretty tight and were more than capable of keeping the very large crowd engaged and jumping and chanting along. This is the mark of a "successful" show imo, despite lacking in any true "roots" excitement for this fan.
March 17, 2006 10:28AM
---> and most of his fans dont even recognize the "reggae" part.

I FEEL that!!!

--> this guy stinks.. i don't care who he "collaborates" with

--> actually i do. i'd like him to collaborate with some musicians in the NYC subway tunnels. that would be better...

lol, good idea...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 17, 2006 10:31AM
--> and suffers from unoriginality

imho, so duz much of what Joseph Israel duz...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 17, 2006 11:05AM
Careful, Ras Danny, you might turn into a picky old fart like me!!! lol
jb welda
March 17, 2006 11:33AM
its too late to stop that for us three herb!

one love
jah bill
March 17, 2006 12:55PM
well, ya know Herb, inna email ta ya yestaday, I said I was a bit less critical of most "reggae" music than most, but now I mite haffi eat dem words...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
riffy
March 17, 2006 01:11PM
I gave Matis a chance, like mi do wit all dem. My opinion formed - he needs work....maybe in food service or construction?

I predict he'll ride a while, but then fade, maybe keeping a few fans roun fi while longer. Definitely not "world-class" material - so it be a thang of the past, probably sooner than later.
riffy
March 17, 2006 01:26PM
skillzzzzzzzzz folks................skillzzzzzzzzzzz...think skillzzzzzzzzzzz
March 17, 2006 01:46PM
Was he really the 'headliner' at three raggamuffin concerts in California recently? Are the raggamuffin concerts always a true definition of what is reggae? Just curious, I don't really know the answer to either of those questions.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
March 17, 2006 04:51PM
Sis, I don't think Raggamuffins fests are that representative of "a true definition of reggae" although I have seen some very nice sets at the 3 I've bin to... take for instance the time when Shaggy preceded Bunny Wailer, who was the headliner, if "headliner" means last to perform... after Shaggy was dun so was the audience... there were LESS than half of the "sell out" crowd... and my 75 year old mother said that seeing Bunny W... "was like being in church...!" she really was moved by him, not so much by Shaggy... but still, that IS reggae, eh?

and no, if headliner means "last to perform" Matis was not the headliner at Raggamuffins (at the two I was at anyway)

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 17, 2006 05:03PM
ras danny, thanks star...
oopps...i guess i should have said ' matisyahu performed towards the ending part of those 3 gigs...is that more accurate? '
March 17, 2006 06:14PM
Thanks Ras D for the info on Raggamuffins. I hope to make it out one year~

Bunny in his kingly character...

March 17, 2006 08:19PM
He who endures to the end will be saved.And this Good News of the Kingdom will be preached all over the world, to testify to ALL the nations, and then the end will come. Praise the Almighty God YAHWEH may his love and light fill our hearts and minds . A New DAY is hear ! Sing a new song. Shalom to all !!

Lions of Israel produces and promotes positve music
a
March 18, 2006 04:02AM
Pablo wrote" Matisyahu's band is a power trio more akin to a Green Day, and lacks true reggae staples like keys, horns, or any additional percussion."

is dub trio a reggae band then?

a
March 18, 2006 05:58AM
I'm not personally familiar with Dub Trio so I can't really speak for them but here's what I could find out about them:

"Dub Trio are Joe Tomino on drums/MELODICA, Stu Brooks on bass/KEYBOARD, and DP Holmes on guitar/KEYBOARD. Dub Trio are unique in that they create their original dub sound in real-time on stage! With their massive sound, the drums and bass lay down a thick bed of WICKED RIDDIMS in a variety of reggae styles while radically altering the music with extreme FADES, REVERBS, FILTERS and ECHOES. Meanwhile, DP Holmes masterfully takes the listener to unchartered sonic territories with his guitar and NON-GUITAR like sounds."

Other than a little echo, none of the things in caps apply to Matisyahu's band. Being a three man band doesn't automatically make you "a power trio more akin to a Green Day" but having a HARD ROCKIN' sound with the type of drum and guitar work I witnessed on thurs. night does. Matisyahu's band can play a one drop sufficiently enough for his fans but imo still sounds more like a Garage Rock band rather than a Reggae Riddim Machine. I never meant to imply that no good reggae is made by three member bands, but after seeing Matis live I would compare the band (not Matis' chanting) more to power pop trios like Green Day or Blink 182.
March 18, 2006 06:35AM
the first time i heard/saw a 3 piece reggae band ( i was very shocked/surprised at first then intrigued and then impressed ) was in tampa, florida at skippers
smokehouse. i think they called themselves 'egypt' but not sure now since it was a long time ago. and yes, these caribbean breddas were smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they sounded like a 6 or 7 piece outfit for sure.

a few subsequent 3 piece bands 'lacked' for a better term.
matt
March 18, 2006 07:48AM
clinton fearon did dub sets with his guitarist and drummer, with clinton on base, that were wicked inna reggae stylie. i try to give matis a chance, but i'm continually frustrated by the fact that the gimmiks are the ones with the marketing in the end. i'm not saying that matis is a gimmick himself, but you can't deny that most of his fans would say something like "here's this hisidic jew doing reggae..crazy" in fact every person that rates him that i've talked to except for one, said pretty much exactly that. i just think it sucks for people like bunny or spear, who were in this from the start, and still can't break thru to the mainstream.

but i realize that i don't want that. i hope matis stays big, gets bigger, promotes true reggae musicians where he can, but is only loosely associated with reggae in the mainstream. sadly, he does (unintentionally) make reggae seem a bit more silly to the general public.
March 18, 2006 08:12AM
To Ras danny and Pablo, we all have right of opinion! I happen to be a supporter of Both Matisyahu and Joseph Israel ,and was in St.louis Thursday for the Show . The song they sing together is a Chant against the system that is causing all the war and suffering, a call to turn to the Almighty for your hope ! From both of them i feel there love for the people calling out. They work together really well , and from the response they are getting i would say many feel the same way I do. I do not Know where you get your insparation from, But i hope you Hear the Inspired Call to come out of Babylon!! And for those that feel this Artist is unoriginal,i would say they are one of the most original in the biz , they sing on all original riddims, songs they right , songs that 50 other people don't voice on. I think that what is comming out of Jamaica Lacks in Originality and that is why people are Flocking to the St. Croix sound , the Joseph Israel Sound, and the Matisyahu sound. Remmember Bob Marley said Rastamon Vibration.its a New Day , New Feelin, Are you picking up now!! Are you picking up now!! This is How i see it. Blessings to all more love !!
March 18, 2006 08:18AM
"here's this hisidic jew doing reggae..crazy" -- totally agreed. This is exactly what I was saying when I picked up 'Live at Stubbs' and I think this is the main appeal.
"i just think it sucks for people like bunny or spear, who were in this from the start, and still can't break thru to the mainstream." -- as Rastas they are resisting the "mainstream". Both these Idren and other foundation artists can be very proud of the places they've attained in their lives with Jah help and their own blood, sweat and tears and neither Matisyahu nor his label can change that. imo if something in Bunny's or Spear's life "sucks" (how can we speak for these great singers?) it's not Matis' fault. The fact that I know anything about Garvey or Lumumba is a testament to the success of these Foundation artists (surely didn't hear these names in school). Spear encourages the youth to be creative, self-reliant and make a name for oneself. He might actually be proud (I don't pretend to know) of a youth like Matisyahu for doing just that. I suspect that neither Winston Rodney nor Bunny Wailer needs our sympathy.
March 18, 2006 09:46AM
it is not necessary to 'disrespect' jamaican reggae to try to build up your own style.
seen?
March 18, 2006 10:30AM
I would consider myself a supporter of Matisyahu and Joseph Israel as well, although the only music I've ever heard of Joseph's was his guest with Matis at the show in STL. But I'm an upful man and I love upful people. I also enjoy some of Matisyahu's music, however, I was underwhelmed at the show. I repeat: the band sounded good (though lacking in TRUE reggae chops) and Matis' voice was as good as I've heard it be. I have no complaints about Joseph Israel's appearance either but I wasn't inspired and I didn't FEEL it. That's only the opinion of one listener who is already committed to doing 'away with this' wicked sh*tstem. Most of the people at the show clearly WERE feelin' it and I support any positivity especially in the MidWest. So forward on Lions of Israel!

ps. Matis did open with a Marley cover did he not?
March 18, 2006 10:34AM
who does this refer to roots-ee?
March 18, 2006 10:37AM
Yo, just because someone comes with upful or non-slack lyrics doesn't necessarily mean the musical accompaniment is gonna be wonderful. I may admire the artist who bucks the trend and puts forth conscious lyrics, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna want their music.
March 18, 2006 10:46AM
'lions of israel'
March 18, 2006 10:47AM
agreed.
March 18, 2006 11:07AM
yes iyah, seem like some a dem come lately with dem big chest out as if nobody
been out here in the struggle from laaang time before....

humility is the key, seen?

whoever can truly forward reggae, i seh...cool...
join all a wi...no big up yuself only...join in and be one a wi...
March 18, 2006 11:10AM
Raggamuffins crew I believe is strictly out to make $$$$ and Matis Yayoo with the help of major radio play and mainstream MTV supporrt really helped sell alot of tickets to all 4 Raggamuffins fests. this year. I think any artist of the moment thats hot they would book for their festival irregardless of whether it's reggae music or not. That festival is all about locking you indoors for 10 + hours and taking every dollar you brought.

And I agree with J.p. I was watching Matis stink it up in long beach and Weird al is who I thought he most closely resembled artistically.
March 18, 2006 11:35AM
...and to whom does THAT refer rootsee?
March 18, 2006 11:37AM
lions of israel
March 18, 2006 11:41AM
The band or the person posting by that name rootsee?
March 18, 2006 11:45AM
the poster above
March 18, 2006 12:20PM
The originality of the two artists is off the hook . All the naysayers should just pray and be humbled by the spirit of the ALMIGHTY. A pure free style took place and you can't even SEE. Bless you. We should Unite under the only true GOD and not some reggae style. If you knew anything , you'd know these brethren get labled whatever the "media" decides to lable them. But these brethren praise the MOST HIGH YAHWEH SABBOTH. YAH blesses those who bless Israel. Praise the MOSTHIGH! i PRAY YOUR EARS AND EYES OPEN. pEACE BE WITH YOUroots-wrote:

> the poster above
March 18, 2006 12:44PM
Ijust can't believe the hatin goin on. What's the deal? Joseph Israel is a close dearest friend to my heart. And so it is so very plain for me tosee you are not comming with YAHWEH's Spirit inyour judgment. If you could only tear down whatever wall you have there. Matis... I really likle what I've heard of his music...Have no real opinion yet. Don't know him personally. Joseph's Family and mine have bible study 2 times week and focus on being a warning unto all the people of the earth... So.. can anyone have a problem with such a person if you have Holy Spirit? seen. I truly would not use such a sharp sword.. just sometimes we have to be our brother's keeper. and y'all just aint right. I can say that a HUGE array of roots soul brothers from the hills have embraced joseph with open arms and love like a long lost brother.. He has mad respect. I can big him up because just on a normal daily basis we are literally like brother and sister. and so I hear some foolish word sound commin out about him I can step back and really appriciate all the works he does. And well. Y'all just aint right.
March 18, 2006 12:51PM
ImandaIsrael ===
+++++++++++++++
proverbs 13: 10 :

pride only breeds quarrels,
but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

one peace roots-ee

===================================================================
March 18, 2006 01:42PM
I agree.
March 18, 2006 01:52PM
I do not mean to bring quarrel at all. It's just when you see injust things in the world we CAN bring the truth into light. It offends but is not a sin. Agreed it is not my or anyones place to downgrade. when someone is trying their best and you have naysayers who have no idea how hard someone works talkin smack , it's the oposite of unity which I'm sure your striving for. peace shaloamshaboath
March 18, 2006 01:55PM
Imanda- Yes big up Joseph Israel.
Matis yahoo chants down herb in his music and there was some heresay as to whether or not he would take the stage before or after Woman because of religeous beliefs. I agree the world should unite under yahweh, but I like good music and I'm feelin like Matis yahoo doesn't do it for me. Sure let's embrace a world community Unity but that doesn't mean appreciating all music under the sun. I have love for matis as a person but I agree with Long Beach M.C. Richie B who suggested it's not correct to have a one hit wonder headlining over 60+ years of combined Studio 1 history. Living Legends
March 18, 2006 04:15PM
TRUE. I can't really comment on the brother for he just blew on the scene so quickly. Give thanks
riffy
March 18, 2006 04:24PM
LOL
March 18, 2006 04:25PM
He is of the pharasitical order which prevents him from doing certain things. I donot support "religion". So therefor some of his practices are wierd. YAH gave us all the seed bearing herbs. All. so. he can say what he wants about that. All scripture is inspired and good for teaching correcting and setting all things straight and equipping man for every good work. So, that's where I stand. YHWH has freely given the herb. babywrong has always been on an endeavor to wipe out good stuff. And so Ido not agree with this aspect. But at the same time, What may not be a sin for someone may be one to someone else. ???
March 18, 2006 05:05PM
I don't think either Matisyahu or J. Israel would approve of you calling him a "pharisee".
Nor do I see Matisyahu calling for the "wiping out" as you say of the herb. Just that it's not a necessity to live a righteous life. Can you cite me an instance, written or oral, of Selassie smoking the chalawa?
riffy
March 18, 2006 05:58PM
Ras danny writes> "and my 75 year old mother said that seeing Bunny W... "was like being in church...!" ...that's exactly how I feel when I see Spear performing live.

Big up ta Moms!
jb welda
March 18, 2006 08:05PM
i think joseph israel put in a couple of very nice songs last year in support of luciano, it was an added treat that luciano brought him along and shows he has real cred with him. i dont put matisyahoo in the same area at all.

one love
jah bill
March 18, 2006 08:29PM
Joseph Isreal WAS on tour with Luciano last summer.
He opened all the shows and also performed a song or two w/ Luciano.

I was at the press conference in Long Beach at the Raggamuffins festival when Luciano was asked what he thought about Matisyahu.

His answer was respectful and thoughtful. I don't remember the exact words.
But he said something like . . . Matisyahu's doing his thing - I & I doing my thing.

Luciano also mentioned at that time, that everyone should check out JOseph Israel and his debut CD "Gone are the DAy's"

[www.josephisrael.com]
March 18, 2006 08:30PM
Matis is, imho, just like christafari...fake reggae...and it gets airplay when too many long time artists been struggling so long to get their cd's up on the front shelf at the Borders bookstore...JOKE BUSINESS.

-----------------------------------------------------

March 18, 2006 10:18PM
"too many long time artists been struggling so long to get their cd's up on the front shelf at the Borders bookstore" -- is that really what they're struggling for? I hope it's something a little more meaningful personally. And seeing Spear is much, much better than going to church!
March 18, 2006 10:38PM
curious: is Joseph Israel associated with Jehovah's Witnesses somehow?
March 18, 2006 10:42PM
Pablo, you know what I mean...how does this man get front shelf coverage and long time reggae artists never stand a chance...pure fuckery.

------------------------------------

riffy
March 19, 2006 01:33AM
Pablo - unfortunately, you don't get it, and I need not explain.
March 19, 2006 08:24AM
PABLO -
Joseph Israel is in no way associated with jehova's witnesses.

check out his website if you want to know about Joseph and his new CD "Gone are the Days"

[www.josephisrael.com]
March 19, 2006 09:15AM
J_72: Yes I know what you mean. This is exactly how the whole thing works. And a big part of what reggae is all about is a response to how much f**kery goes on in the sh*tsem. Remember the tables will turn and the meek will inherit. No record label can change that.

Riffy: With respect, if you refuse to explain, what was the point of pointing out my lack of understanding? Light a candle for me please so I can see what you do. thanks.

Missmarjel: I've been to his site and a few others. It was this search that lead me to ask the question in the first place. Are you answering based on first hand knowledge or just guessing? on the back cover of the "Ruff Times" cd with Joseph Israel and Luciano their is a specific reference to the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm curious why? What happened to ImandaIsrael? You claimed to have close contact with Joseph Israel. Is there a connection?
March 19, 2006 01:06PM
Blessed love. Had to make a move. Give praises. I was a little hot upon reading the comments and love to recant some of my defensive additude. YAH humble us all. We are in no way affiliated with the JW's. Although the roots of their org is when the light started to shine so bright on the earth for the first real time since the dark ages. So just for good reading (if you don't get more from it) you should check the most seriose stands the international bible students took against this system at the turn of the century. They rocked. Worldwide. they were a true witness to the world. So what you may be refering to is the ruff times cover a "news" clip or something that brother Rutherford and others were maybe being imprisoned for. I'm not quite sure right off about that specifically. But it was a sweet little cd cover. bless.
March 19, 2006 01:13PM
question -
anyone -

what r the fundamental primary basic tenets of the jehovah witnesses?
what are some of the most 'attractive' aspects of their teachings?
what r some of the least?

how does this relate to 'reggae?' if it does?

thank you,
March 19, 2006 02:45PM
I am going to totally think outside the box in this thread. I am not sure why there is this strong determination to take reggae to the masses. It seems to promote a serious judgemental attitude attached to everything related to reggae, especially when that form of music gains acceptance by a new larger audience. Why is there this strange tug of war between the belief that roots reggae must grow in acceptance by the masses and at the same time when reggae touches the lives of a broader market by someone who is not essentially the quisentential (sp?) representation of roots reggae, people get worried and concerned.

For me, any music that promotes unity, harmony and love for mankind is good, whether it is reggae, gospel, rock, rap or whatever. Since human beings are so diverse in their attraction to various art forms, why should we try so hard to make it 'reggae' that gives the message to the masses? Wouldn't any art form that teaches positive livity be valuable to society? Let those who love roots reggae in it's purist form, continue to love their artists and support them. I think trying to make the mass market conform to the reggae box is not only limiting and not very likely, but it is much like religion that thinks only their God is real.
March 19, 2006 02:55PM
Sista Irie, this is something I been trying to articulate to Iself for years and I don't think it's limited to reggae fans. Their seems to commonly be a tension between wanting something to grow and succeed and later becoming disenchanted when it does just that. ie "I used to love this band. . . before they became popular" I can't reason this one out in any way.
March 19, 2006 03:09PM
ImandaIsrael, thanks for your response. I'm always looking for connections amongst spiritual paths and this is an intriguing line of thought for me. Some very interesting connections btw Rasta and Bible Students/JW. With respect, when you say, "We are in no way affiliated with the JW's. Although the roots of their org is when the light started to shine so bright on the earth for the first real time since the dark ages." - is 'we' referring to another group inspired by Russel or Rutherford? You call the Int'l Bible Students 'they'. Thanks for reasoning with me.
March 19, 2006 03:18PM
To chant down babylon is one way jw's have something in comon with reggae music. The meek shall inherit the earth. living in peace and unity through our FATHER. uhhhh. they are pretty cool but trippy at the same time.
Sing a new song unto YAHWEH. Yes. whatever style "they" lable you is "their" problem. Roots reggae deserves mad props as the day is long. YAH's music is all encompassing. with no lable other than YAH's music. people lable all kinds of things and it's inaccurate. "healthcare" "healthfood" Pledge allegience to the "flag" should say"devil" Herbs called a drug. come on.
March 19, 2006 03:22PM
Sis Irie, it's not about one music genre controlling the message bearing...I did not imply that it only has to be reggae that monopolizes the market, but it would be nice, as I stated, if long-time Reggae artists, very good ones, or even ANY Conscious Black Reggae artists for that matter, could make an appearance on the front cd sale shelf at Borders (just as an example). It does seem curious that a white Jewish artist gets top billing on cd sales, especially marketed as reggae. It does a disservice to those veterans of reggae music who have worked so hard over the years, and are barely able to break through the charts here in the US, imo.

------------------

March 19, 2006 03:28PM
the IBS is what they were called befor they took on the name JW's. We are not affiliated with jw's for the light went out for the group after they changed truths to fibs. I love them all though. What a dedicated crew. there is a lot that could be reasoned about them. I don't do it justice with my baby typing skilz
March 19, 2006 03:54PM
J 72 from your standpoint of view, I agree that recognition is certainly due to conscious black artists. My response wasn't really targeted at your statements or even any particular other specific posting. I am just reasoning along the lines of the urgency I sometimes hear about the need for reggae to reach mainstream.

I wholeheartedly agree too often the really great performers do not get to share the financial and professional recognition of other artists. Many of those artists are black. Look at so many of the blues greats who died nearly penniless and with no health insurance to help them get better when ill. My iternal thanks go to those performers who leave their families and homes to hit the road and pay the ultimate dues to get their message out. They deserve the very best life has to offer. They have certainly enrichened my life greatly and I will do my best to support them every time.

With that said, I also have no problem with other groups and genres spreading the message of love. I don't believe reggae is the end all to spiritual enrichment. Sadly, commercialization of music sometimes takes the soul out of the message, but not always!

blessings to you and all~

Post Edited (03-19-06 15:58)

March 19, 2006 04:20PM
Joseph Israel has been invited to join Matisyahu at the BONAROO festival. The only other reggae acts on that fest are Steel Pulse, Damian Marley and Sasha.

check out [www.bonnaroo.com]
March 19, 2006 07:23PM
j 72 woo hoo

isaiah 30and31
March 19, 2006 08:39PM
ImandaIsrael, typical attitudes of CULTURAL ROBBERS.

-----------------------------------

riffy
March 19, 2006 09:26PM
Pablo- my apologies, that was a weak statement for I to make. Yes, I agree dat Spear is much much better than church. When Spear plays his music and offers his Isight, it's a tabernacle to I. I hold Spear as one my dearest teachers.

Respectful and humble for I-ver in dis Iwah
PEACE^
March 19, 2006 11:53PM
Judge a tree by its fruits. Matisyahu, me, you or little boy blue - nah problem.
Every likkle ting will be revealed in the wash. Live for others but also live for yourself and please yourself. If Matisyahu please your ear but don't please my ear nah problem. My parents didn't care for much of my music and said way nuff of the music of this younger generation don't appeal to my ear - but nah problem.
Mi please myself and you please yourself and Jah bless all True Heart. We don't need uniformity - we need unity.
<><><><>
"Know that I know that the ****** is lying"
Have Mercy
Ovah

PS: Just curious - what kind of Chassidic Jew is Matis? Most of them support
gunman but a rightious minority support the peace and love camp.
March 20, 2006 12:01AM
we need community
March 20, 2006 02:51PM
What? You seem like you want to reason for a moment. I'm not sure what youre up to. Hmmmmmmm....... Well. If you want to be peacable, we can talk. I am not a robber of any sort. In fact I know YAHWEH has a GRAND plan for all goodhearted of the earth. Praise the MOST HIGH. Come drink FREELy from the waters of life. There would be not one thing oppressive or cultural theivery found in anything that comes out of my mouth. (not on purpose anyway) We obviosley overstand somting in a different manner. YAH guide.
I might come forward to check this. but I'm over it. what would give you the impression of cultural robbery? I just got toknow that and I'll be out 4 good
peace

isaiah 30and31
March 20, 2006 03:00PM
it should be noted that most human beings support gunmen.
March 20, 2006 03:02PM
no guns man

isaiah 30and31
March 20, 2006 04:03PM
Saw Matis @ a club(SHOWBOX SEATTLE) where he had to do an almost 2 hour show instead on these maybe 20 minutes @ festivals an IMHO this guy is a flash in the pan, MTV driven
hype .He reminded me of Snow . His beat box rapid fire style was annoying. The band was one step away from being a garage band talentwise. After seeing this guy preform an then read all the blogs of this guy on this forum it will be interesting how long this guy will be doing the reggae circut. 2 years tops is my guess , 1 or 2 more albums then the facination will have run its course.Main stream media has tried several times to embrace Reggae Musicans but this guy aint reggae enough for the crown..
kalapana

RESPECT
March 20, 2006 08:48PM
Matisyahu, on stage, SAID "DONT FALLOW THE FALSE GOD JAH AND THE EMPERIOR". THIS IS TRYING TO GET GOOD IN THE REGGAE VIBE AND INDUSTRY? COMMING FROM SOMEONE WHO RECIENTLY CHOSE HIS GOD AND RELIGON, THIS MAKES NO SENSE. JUDGE YOURSELF MATISYAHU, NOT MY GOD.
big-up
March 20, 2006 08:53PM
TRUE, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR MATISYAHU IN THE REGGAE VIBE. POSITIVE VIBES WITH I N I
March 21, 2006 06:52AM
IF he did say that there is nothing wrong with that. Use your intellect and tell me something. What is the difference between what he is claimed to have said and what countless Rastafari say about the Catholic Church? The only difference is that I assume matis wouldn't have gone on to further claim that The I is the devil the way that the Ras claim about the Pope.
March 21, 2006 08:32AM
>it should be noted that most human beings support gunmen.

That is debatable but what is self evident is: This ya reggae
music supposed to be about a higher purpose and a better
tomorrow.

Ya either part of the problem or part of the solution.
<><><><>
now that I know that the preacher is lying.

Ovah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login