Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MATISYAHU COLLABORATES WITH GLOBAL REGGAE COMMUNITY

Posted by missmarjel 
Re: MATISYAHU COLLABORATES WITH GLOBAL REGGAE COMMUNITY
March 21, 2006 08:39AM
Nice to see that Nike is still hiring free thinkers Ninja. Big up to you for seeing the other side. Of course the issue is not Matis' beliefs, it is his collaborating with the reggae community.

Would you expect the Pope to invite Bob Marley into the vatican to sing "Building Church and Universities, deceiving the people continuously" or "Whose gonna stay at home, now that we know that the preacher is lying". If Matis believes HIM is a false god, maybe he should does some combinations with Christafari or Papa San instead of Luciano...
March 21, 2006 08:51AM
does matis really believe HIM is a 'false' god?
i seem to be missing a lot of stuff here but i love the reasoning?
bee
March 21, 2006 08:54AM
well said daniel....

March 21, 2006 09:03AM
"If Matis believes HIM is a false god, maybe he should does some combinations with Christafari"

I think that would bore most of us to death Daniel smiling smiley I have no problem with Christians doing reggae, but all of the Christafari stuff i've heard is enough to put me to sleep it's so boring. Peace.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
March 21, 2006 09:26AM
JAH with a J IS false......... not any of you could intelectually dispute this fact. Jehovah is an ironious translation that comes from thousands of years of suppression of YAHWEH's real name. so with the statement I am reading today,but with no real proof of what exactly he said, that would not be a false statement. It is a little jacked up that jews still say the e instead of the accurate a vowel sound. All because they don't want to say YAHWEH's name. It's like they want it to be a secret society that no"gentile" can be a part of.SO whatever on that.2nd who is doin the judgin here? You guys been rippin on this youth. He does not claim to be reggae. The media will use anything as a gimic. I've heard him called a variety of lables. We should pray for this youth to come to truth. To truly know Mawshiak. I pray that for all. He prays for that. What? I am disappointed you are still hatin on this guy. Good thing he doesn't have time to stop and read some mess like this. Instead he's steady reading letters from people who tell him how his message helped change their life. He AT THE VERY LEAST should get some kind of props for comming with a positive message. NO drugs no bangin no blingin. Just a good youth tryin to bring a positive message. You don't hafe' guess if it is kid friendly. Will they hear some fu#$$% up message. As if we need more babies having babies. or anything of the like.

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 09:30AM
You know, I see this Matis thing developing into a whole Christafari thing...wolves in sheeps clothing come to con-vert InI!!! Total bullshit that. Hassidic-farians, Christafarian..blah blah...

<<<JAH with a J IS false......... not any of you could intelectually dispute this fact. Jehovah is an ironious translation that comes from thousands of years of suppression of YAHWEH's real name. so with the statement I am reading today,but with no real proof of what exactly he said, that would not be a false statement....>>>>

---------------------------------------

riffy
March 21, 2006 09:37AM
Ninja, does Phil know your agenda? LOLOLOLOLLMAO!
March 21, 2006 09:38AM
Oh the collaberating thing gets you..... So when he is invited by the most crucial people to play with them...He should just say no because YOU don't think it's reggae. Don't you think that MUSICIANS like MUSIC...Luciano is the ultimate(almost) in my book. I tell you rightnow Luci played with him because of his vibe. Luci is a crucial Brother and doesn't do anything he doesn't want to. Someone on here was biggin up sean paul...HAHAHAHAHA...you'd big that guy befor Matis. where are the priorities here?
I've recently spent time with Earl Chinna Smith.... You'd probably be dissapointed that he loves and plays ALLLLLLLL KINDSSSSSSS OF MUSIC. Ziggy M. the list really goes on and on and on and on and on.

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 09:39AM
No convertin over her. just a witness.

isaiah 30and31
bee
March 21, 2006 09:41AM
<<<JAH with a J IS false......... not any of you could intelectually dispute this fact. Jehovah is an ironious translation that comes from thousands of years of suppression of YAHWEH's real name. so with the statement I am reading today,but with no real proof of what exactly he said, that would not be a false statement....>>>>

erroneous?

Jah with a J is false? it's a name, it means God. Its English, I guess. Is English false too? Are letters false? Are computers false? Are these true and false questions?

Do you think humans are judged by the way they appear to pronounce (or spell) the name of their God? What about spelling in general? Does God favor good spellers?

religion iz pretty krappy sumtimes

March 21, 2006 09:48AM
Christafari is the biggest joke of all. come on . Just their whole gig is jacked up. met with them several times and was greatly dissattisfied. Hard core christians trying to convert rastas. what the hell? I love all the goodhearted people.. I just can't get down with these guys.
<<<<<<so you not like me reasoning J 72? >>>>>>>>>>>>

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 09:57AM
oh yeh... You got it. That is exactly what I am saying. you must spell perfect...that's pretty freakin shallow don't you think? The hebrew word YHWH that appears over 7000 times in the hebrew and greek scriptures was taken away from the people. priests of the pharasitical order took the use of YAHWEH's name away from the common people. No longer could anyone say it but had to read Adoniah even though it said YAHWEH. So a while back now, people wanted to get to the real deal of the true name. they took YHWH and adoniah, combined the two different meaning words to make the word JEHOVAH, they took away the y replaced it with a j. Which, no, J is not in GOD's alphabet.

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 10:07AM
I have had a deffensive wierd feeling the whole time I've been on this message boardthing. I am not use to this type of interaction with people. It is so limiting on the real way someone is trying to express onesself. I truly never at anytime want to be offensive or deffensive just neutral. but sometimes that's hard to do.
peace be with you.

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 10:15AM
i prefer teaching without the preaching...
March 21, 2006 10:21AM
whatcha teachin? I was am bringing facts to the table.. not opinions. hard searched out solid facts. you will not find one lie in anything i say. No uneducated myths passed down from momma here brother. If someting is my opinion I state that. but the truth is the truth. teachin weago

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 10:25AM
"no, J is not in GOD's alphabet"

God has an alphabet? Please edify me Imanda. Which god are you referring to and how long has she had her own alphabet?
March 21, 2006 10:26AM
I think people need to realise that the messge of Rastafari is not a message of tolerance in the way that many who may describel temselves as leftist might want to believe. I know this is not shocking to some but it might be to others. When ras go on stage they are not there to sing praises to spirituality as you interpret it. There is no room for the goddess, no room for belief in an undefined une explored "higher power". The reason I point this out is that the arguements that he is trying to convert people ins some kind of master plan are not based in logic. Unless of course you are going to accuse Bunny Wailer, Luciano, Capleton and so on of the exact same crime. Please remember it was Ras that looked to Torah not the other way around.
March 21, 2006 10:30AM
<<<JAH with a J IS false.........

The Universal Mother & Father inna Oneness is not a noun
it is a verb. An action not a stasis.

During this Iwah (dispensation) tongue of flesh cannot articulate
the fulness of the great beyond. Arguing about the so-called
correct spelling of the great unfathomable is akin to foolish
doggy barking at the birds. Words can become prisons.

Lighten up ... why split hairs? Enjoy this gift of life while we
got it.
<><><><>
Its a good day
Now that I know that the (fill in the blank) is lying

Ovah
riffy
March 21, 2006 10:35AM
Psalm 118 :

This is the day that the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.
riffy
March 21, 2006 10:41AM
Be appi while ya livin fi ya long time dead
March 21, 2006 10:49AM
There's no way Matisyahu & Christafari have similar agendas. Christafari is self-admittedly evangelical Christian, he feels that his works in life are to convert as many of the 'heathen' as possible to Christianity. Unfortunately, in using reggae music to do so, he denigrates the beliefs and livity of the Rasta movement which gave reggae its spiritual legitimacy in the first place; it's called biting the hand that feeds you. He's taken a lot of what I consider well-deserved flak for this. From what I understand, Chasidic Judaism makes no effort to convert anyone. On the contrary, only those who demonstrate the desire, patience, dedication to the Orthodox principles and rituals, and thirst for learning Torah are welcomed.
riffy
March 21, 2006 11:08AM
Remember you never know what the monkey ate til' he s|-|i+z
March 21, 2006 11:10AM
"There's no way Matisyahu & Christafari have similar agendas"

Matis is saying "DONT FALLOW THE FALSE GOD JAH AND THE EMPERIOR", while Christafari is saying JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY" They both sound like vibrant attacks of non-believers to me. I give Judaism nuff respect for not trying to "convert" ones and ones though.....
March 21, 2006 11:45AM
Ok point well taken. I am definately comming off a little strong. "god's Alphabet" was weird thing to write. but i am a little new at all this stuff here. So when I hafe type it out it may sound weird. I ment the Hebrew alphabet... and YAH did give us HIS name to Praise. HIS name will be spoken by HIS people and "vindicated throughout the earth. bless and respect

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 11:46AM
new withe the typin

isaiah 30and31
March 21, 2006 11:57AM
I figured you were referring to the Hebrew God Imanda. But the Muslim's god is called Allah (no J's there either)..... What's the point? Does it really matter what name we give to this mythical character, or is it more important that we recognize the divinity in all things regardless of what language we are speaking in? Africa was not called Africa, and Jamaica was not called Jamaica either, but these are terms we ascribe to certain geographic locations today....

"God did not make man. Man made God" - Mutabaruka
bee
March 21, 2006 12:20PM
what about jesus' middle name starting with an "H"? anybody heard this before? is it jesus huey christ?

good point daniel and muta...

I often wondered where the words "Africa" and "Jamaica" came from. While searching, I found this article called "Africa" – a great and problematic word- its short and very interesting, check it out... [crawfurd.dk]

As far as "Jamaica" I guess that word comes from Arawak, meaning land of wood and water, or sunshine.. something like that..

riffy
March 21, 2006 12:30PM
okwa 2 ta
March 21, 2006 12:44PM
Yes, "Jamaica" stems from the arawak word Xamayca, which means as you stated Bee. But the Arawaks were not the first inhabitants of Jamaica, so i'm sure it had another name before that as well.....

Actually, I think i got Muta's quote wrong, it should have been:

God did not create man. Man created god.
riffy
March 21, 2006 01:16PM
does onion juice really make the world go roun?
March 21, 2006 01:42PM
there is still question to whether or not he actually said that. Don't think I am a stickler, but I am not just going to take someone's word for it. Just a side note, by calling Rastafari King of Kings Lord of Lords you are saying that all other gods are false. It is implied and meant.
bee
March 21, 2006 01:50PM
aww ninja, you stickler you!
BG
March 21, 2006 02:19PM
Hasidic Reggae Singer Surprises His Managers
By BEN SISARIO

When Aaron Bisman met Matthew Miller about five years ago, they were music-obsessed college students in New York who had an unusual goal: to make innovative music that was proudly Jewish. Mr. Bisman, at New York University, started a nonprofit record label, JDub, and his friend at the New School, who called himself Matisyahu, worked on his reggae toasting skills.

"BIGGA QUESTION IS.... WOULD ANY OF
YOU VOICE HIM PON DUB ??????????"

"somebody call me pan wha day when mahisidiyahoo start sing reggae"

taken from dancehallreggae.com
March 21, 2006 02:28PM
truth is yes, there are a lot of people who would
March 21, 2006 02:55PM
That's not correct Ninja. When I call HIM "His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God" I am merely reciting the name HE GAVE HIMSELF when taking the crown.

I do not believe that "all other gods are false", though I do think it is arogant to take on such a title, just as it does to call oneself 'The Prophet' or 'The Great __', as some reggae artists have done...
March 22, 2006 07:13AM
Dnaiel yes you may, but I do not think Ras would. To Ras the title is the truth, not just a self proclamation. Anyone who bleieve in monotheism is naturally going to see any theory contrary to this, such as with the Hindu 300+ Million gods. If you believe in the One G-d of Israel then you beleive that all other gods are inferior. This is just how it is, ask anyone including yourself this question. If G-d is G-d then can there be other gods? For the believer there is a logical problem, a contradiction and there can be no contradictions.
March 22, 2006 07:31AM
Ninja, I have no problems ascribing a title to another's words and works. So I got no problem in calling Mother Teressa a "Saint" or in calling Bob Dylan, Bob Marley or Marcus Garvey "Prophets". I was commenting on people calling THEMSELVES prophets, saints and the like. To me, it's an ego thing. The humble person just "Does the works", and let OTHERS decide for themselves the value of said contributions. That is why I have a really hard time accepting the notion that Jesus would have ever said "I am THE way".

"If G-d is G-d then can there be other gods?" That's a good question Ninja, and my question to you is this: IF the bible is accurate, and if god did, in fact, hand down some edicts to Moses as alleged therein, then why was her very first commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me"??? It would seem to me that either the whole tablet story was made up, or that the TRUE story was lost or perverted in the centuries of oral and written translations over the years. If not, then the answer to your question would obviously have to be YES there are other gods...
March 22, 2006 09:08AM
If you interp. that to mean that Christ is saying youmust be a Christian in order to Survive death then that is one thing. If you interp. that to mean that Wherever you see the way know that Christ is there then there is no problem.
March 22, 2006 10:07AM
satan the devil IS the dog of this world and all are blinded by him. Ah ha I meant to say god but that more accurately describes him. No offense to any good dogs out there. Man made GOD????????????? ok.. I see what you deal with.

isaiah 30and31
March 22, 2006 10:14AM
About the africa and jamaican thing..... Those are not the ALMIGHTY GOD's name. So.... Of course they will not be vindicated in all the earth. But YAHWEH will make sure that everyone of HIS children know HIS name. Nomatter your geological location. All nations tribes and tongues hold YAHWEH's children. We will come out of babywrong in ONE accord. Praise YAH all the confusion will be no more.

isaiah 30and31
bee
March 22, 2006 10:44AM
dogs make dogs
March 22, 2006 10:48AM
Off-balance children on an off-balance upside-down low-jack zone
called Urth - arguing over a nat and swallowing a camel.

No insult to any religious hearts so name your big-guy-in-the-sky
any god-damn ting you want but if you leave out the female portion
thinking it is an evil goddess worship / fertility right ... ya missing
the boat likle children.

Open your god-given eyes to the lessons right under your nose.
A man don't necessarily know his own pickney but a mother always
knows what issue forth out of her womb and a good mother always
has unconditional love for her pickney. Likewise we do have a
the unconditional love of the Universal Momma & Poppa in a
oneness.

HIM -- Her Integral Motherhood - The conquering mother hen of
1,000,000's of equally blessed tribes.

So listen reggea heads. Next time you see your hero Bob M. he
will tell ya the same ting. I bet my life on it - Do you?
<><><><>
Ovah
'Now that I know that the preacher is lying'
March 22, 2006 10:59AM
"No insult to any religious hearts so name your big-guy-in-the-sky
any god-damn ting you want but if you leave out the female portion
thinking it is an evil goddess worship / fertility right ... ya missing
the boat likle children."

BIG WORDS Ova, that I couldn't agree more with. As Macka B says, "You've got the father, the son and the holy ghost, but where has the mother gone?"

To that end, rembember this Saturday (March 25th) is the earthday of Woizero Menen. Nuff celebrations take place to honor the earthday of HIM, and I think a similar recognition of the empress is also in order...

Empress Menen was active in promoting women's issues in Ethiopia, was Patroness of the Ethiopian Red Cross, and also the Ethiopian Women's Charitable Organization. She was also patroness of the Jerusalem Society that arranged for pilgrimages to the Holy Land. She founded the Empress Menen School for Girls in Addis Ababa, the first all girls school which had both boarding and day students. Girls from all over the Empire were brought to the school to receive a modern education, encouraged by the Empress who visited it often and presided over its graduation ceremonies. The Empress gave generously, as well as sponsored programs for the poor, ill and disabled. She was also a devoutly religious woman who did much to support the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. She built, renovated and endowed numerous churches in Ethiopia and in the Holy Land. Prominent among these are the St. Raguel Church in Addis Ababa's Merkato district, the Kidane Mehret (Our Lady Covenant of Mercy) Church on Mount Entoto, and the Holy Trinity Monastery on the banks of the River Jordan in the Holy Land. She gave generously from her personal funds towards the building of the new Cathedral of St. Mary of Zion at Axum, but did not live to see it completed and dedicated.
Balboa
March 22, 2006 11:03AM
Say what you want about this guy.. The man can REALLY BEATBOX! I REPEAT THE MAN CAN REALLY BEATBOX. SAW HIM IN SD RAGGA FEST, HE OWNED THE CROWD, I THOUGHT HE SOUNDED GREAT. SECOND TIME IN SF RAGGA FEST, I WAS NOT FEELIN' IT THAT MUCH. AGAIN AT RUBY SKYE, WAS THE WEIRDEST "REGGAE" CONCERT I'VE EVERY SEEN! BUT THE MAN CAN BEATBOX WITH THE BEST OF EM.

PERSONALLY, I DON'T CONSIDER MATIS A REGGAE ARTIST, MORE OF A POP ARTIST INFLUENCED BY ROOTS MUSIC THAT CROSSED OVER INTO THE REGGAE SCENE.
REALISTICALLY, MATIS IS GOOD FOR THE REGGAE SCENE BECAUSE HE BRINGS MORE EXPOSURE TO REGGAE MUSIC, BRINGS MORE PEOPLE TO THE FESTIVALS- SPREADING REGGAE TO MORE PEOPLE THAT WOULD NOT EVEN BE THERE IF HE WASN'T PERFORMING.

BIG UP FORUM CREW.
March 22, 2006 01:54PM
Right on Balboa...back to the subject & offa the ism/schism...don't let the mensch sing, but he can really beatbox & he's got a good flow and imho a good non-slack message...
drop me an email when you have the time...
March 22, 2006 02:00PM
> i dont care if he sells a trillion records & sells out shows like the grateful dead or sumting he still seems to be riding off a original promotion scam. may b he is blessed or may b he has friends @ sony records. no matter what it is ,i find the music talked about here as a whole to be not worth a headlining spot @festivals(or even close) resersed for artists/bands who have been doing it true roots for years*
>why doesnt he link with sean paul, shaggy & ace of base cause they all have sumting in common 'dem get commercial radio airplay' not that sumhow through this & that it should be respected by ALL real reggae lovers wheather iNi like it not. cant buy it for a doller seen!
>cause it a blood clot
>more dub less corny magazine articles*

-RASpects+
March 22, 2006 02:36PM
why are those bands who have been "true to roots" not getting headlining spots?? Could it be that they are not as good as you might think? Putting on shows is a business, if there is a guy out there who will put people in the house then they will put them on the bill if they can afford them. Again dissing Matis as some sort of hype or promotional stunt, why? Can't it just be that there is good music that you do not like? Can't it just be that like every other musician on the planet Matis' style is a combination of the music he was brought up on? Why does ther need to be a conspiracy to take down Roots music?
March 22, 2006 04:32PM
word---
March 22, 2006 04:57PM
>why are those bands who have been "true to roots" not getting headlining >spots??

because the music biz is not a meritocracy. for the most part it is controlled
by lawyer & bean counter who got their heads on upside down

>Could it be that they are not as good as you might think?

a monkey's uncle who controls the apparatus of media-opinion-engineering
might not think they are good but lemmi ask the question. Who would you
rather see headlining the Wembley assembly?
U2 or Luciano ..... The Rolling Stones or Toots/Pato Banton/Clinton Fearon etc. Them likkle rock n roll boy can't hold a candle to the real deal

Will they get a chance before lights-out to come to their senses?
Time will tell.
<><><><>
now that I know that the MTV is lying
Ovah
March 22, 2006 05:38PM
"Why does ther need to be a conspiracy to take down Roots music?"
1>censorship
ganga is the healing of the nation not budweiser, selassie is the most high not fainting, dreadlocks r'not just fashion, rasta is against alot of sponsorship unless dem r' in full control of it*
2>there is more to reggae than VP records & a average quality midnite record*
3>obviously been trying to be promoted as strict culture music(adult) for so seh black/african people when it is obvious once again this music can be enjoyed by all race,color & creed not to mention ages once again*
4>open the door, why is this like such like a bubble buster with 'no-dubs on the table'?

-RASpects+
March 22, 2006 07:14PM
No disrespect ever meant to the Mother of us all Zion. YAH refers to "himself" as a "HIM". But the "real" meaning behind FATHER. not a " my babies dady" kind of man. I am a humble impress to my CREATOR. I don't pick and choose what is right, I just try to do my best as a humble servant. And YHWH is the apitimy of action. (noun vs. verb like u ment. earlier) never once would I disrespect the sisters. I am a mother of 4 beautiful youths. And my husband completes me. We are one unit, just as we can be with the DIVINE YAHWEH. which is neither man nor woman Praises!
Matis rocks the croud. Great style. The more someone come into truths the more people hate them. Maybe matis will be hated of the world when he accepts mawshiak. Will you all like him then or he'll always just be stank because he's not a jamaican? Do you know how much work you already hafe do on your own befor a monster like soney will step to you? ALSO>>>> matis allows free tapin of his music and free trade..Who can say that? Yes that is a "jam band" thing but it is still a freed up vibe.It's nice.. it helped him get big as well..I'm sure the sony promo helped alot. but he without sin cast it. And there's no budwieser abuse at his shows so I've heard. They are always a clean vibe. this topic is lame. See ya.

isaiah 30and31
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login