Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who chooses the [songs] set lists to be performed at SNWMF?

Posted by reggaefan 
reggaefan
Who chooses the [songs] set lists to be performed at SNWMF?
March 17, 2006 06:46PM
This may sound like a silly question....

But do the artists and bands decide what songs they are going to do at shows like SNWMF....

Or do the promoters or other folks behind the scenes make suggestions/requests/limitiations to an artists' choice of songs???

My guess is the artists dictate their own set lists - but is this always a safe assumption?

bee
Re: Who chooses the [songs] set lists to be performed at SNWMF?
March 17, 2006 06:49PM
I actually choose all the songs for the artists... tough job, somebody's gotta do it

TR-808
March 17, 2006 06:52PM

> My guess is the artists dictate their own set lists - but is this always a safe assumption?

probably.. usually. at least for the world we're in.

in the case of big-time performers (who's stageshows cost six figures and up), or current pop stars who have charting hits and tour to support them, big-time promoters can write contracts to assure that the big, hit songs are played.

but in our world usually the artists want to do it themselves. but sometimes it's a combination of artist and manager, or both those may ask promoters if there's anything particular they want.

i did carlton livingston's for his stageshow

--
March 17, 2006 06:56PM
Then of course there's people like Don Carlos who takes requests from the audience in the middle of his set....
jb welda
March 17, 2006 07:35PM
you did, solid?

i didnt know that. nice song choice.

i got linval to rehearse a song i wanted to hear: lump sum, but he wouldnt do kung fu.

one love
jah bill
reggaefan
March 17, 2006 07:55PM
Ok, thanks for the info - Solid, good one, I didn't know that song selections went as far as getting into the contract side of things...makes sense though.

I also like the idea where the artist, manager and the promoter get involved in the decision making process ---- maybe the promoter or someone close to the show has an idea of what songs are popular in their area [radio play or club response?] and they can tailor a set list better.

Most artists probably know what's best for themselves when it comes to song selections --- but it seems like they might do themselves a favor by considering some 'outside' opinions.

Not to get too much into your business Solid - but if you wanna answer this - did you have a certain forumla for picking Carlton's songs? e.g. - did you consider tempo, lyrics, what the band could handle, etc etc.

I think set lists are pretty darn crucial, the Twinkles [even though they seem to repeat it a lot] have a good one ------ but I've seen artists do great songs, but the order they put them in lessened the impact imo.

jb welda
March 17, 2006 08:03PM
one problem with everyone throwing in their two cents: the band has to know the song and hopefully rehearse it. with an experienced band like fully fullwoods outfit they can run riddim all day but some may have witnessed a slight difference of opinion between them and a certain artist over that artists wish for them to learn a song they didnt know. so in general you cannot just meet up with a group before a show and tell them you want x y and z songs performed.

one love
jah bill
reggaefan
March 17, 2006 08:19PM
"you cannot just meet up with a group before a show and tell them you want"
True on that one Jah Bill....

I guess I can't expect them to be like a bunch of Robotixs, and program music into them ;-)

TR-808
March 19, 2006 12:27AM

> cannot just meet up with a group before a show and tell them you want

well you can, to an extent.. a pro band should know the cornerstone riddims and be able to work them out anytime. of course any vocalist may not prefer the way any particular band plays certain standards, and that's why yes it's still better for some connection, interaction and practice before stage time... usually.. one exception is when something spontaneous happens, and when those happen they can be great.

> did you have a certain forumla for picking Carlton's songs?
> e.g. - did you consider tempo, lyrics, what the band could handle, etc etc.

yes, all that.. thanks for saying you liked it. it was all his better known tunes, all the tunes he would have done anywhere, with the exception of "living as a poor." he wouldn't have done it. i wanted to start with that one because i thought it could connect the snwmf crowd to him.. i was happy with the way it went.

--
March 19, 2006 12:52AM
the girl that kept asking Don Carlos for "hog and Goat" in 2004...classic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login