Posted by mojag 
GROUNDATION
February 19, 2004 08:39PM
WANTED!!!!

GROUNDATION AT SNWMF 2004!
bun n cheese
Re: GROUNDATION
February 19, 2004 08:43PM
i have a hard time dealing with the lead singer...
February 19, 2004 09:34PM
mr cheeze - whats up with the lead singer?
bun n cheese
February 19, 2004 09:38PM
his voice and phrasing gets on my last nerve.
i-visionary
February 19, 2004 11:22PM
i cyant get enough of groundation!!!!!!
his voice and phrasing are moving and inspiring (to me). he (harrison) is truly a gifted soul....."bob filled our heads with vision, while its our souls that babylon bargained". Hebron Gate---one of the best roots reggae release in 2003.
bun n cheese
February 19, 2004 11:46PM
great, I am glad you like them.

I like the horn section.
flip
February 20, 2004 12:35AM
i thought they were pretty good....was that last year...2 years ago...i think they played an early set. they sounded good and aren't they norcal local? why not?
Wolf
February 20, 2004 05:17AM
Groundation. Wanted indeeeed. Prof.Harrison will teach ya boy!
February 20, 2004 06:15PM
GROUNDATION IS ONE OF THE BEST AMERICAN ROOTS BANDS. BUT......
I FEEL THAT THE LEAD SINGER IS BEING VERY DISRESPECTFUL TO THE JAMAICAN CULTURE BY SINGING WITH A JAMAICAN/AFRICAN ACCENT. ITS A SHAME BECAUSE THE BAND IS SOOOO TIGHT. PLEASE MR. LEAD SINGER..... IM SURE THAT ARE A VERY NICE & RESPECTFUL HUMAN BEING, BUT YOU MUST REALIZE WHAT YOU ARE DOING BY SINGING THE WAY YOU DO. IM SURE YOU PUT ALOT OF TIME INTO YOUR LYRICS & THOSE LYRICS ARE VERY HUMBLE & SPIRITUAL, BUT ROOTS MUSIC IS NOT A TREND.
BOTTOM LINE..... YOU AIN'T FROM JAMAICA.
BUT KEEP UP THE TIGHT MUSIC.
February 20, 2004 07:05PM
Hey Barnicle. Do you know where Harrison is from? Perhaps if you did, you might think otherwise. Not all jamaicans are of colour you know. And do you feel similar when American born and raised artists of Jamaican desent (ie. Morgan Heritage) speak with a jamaican accent?
February 21, 2004 02:29AM
HARRISON IS FROM CALIFORNIA I BELIEVE.........
BY THE WAY, I DONT THINK THEY SPEAK PATOIS IN CALIFORNIA.
I DONT CARE IF ITS MORGAN HERITAGE, ROCKER T, WHOEVER..... IF U AINT FROM JAMAICA, WHY SPEAK LIKE A JAMAICAN? I'VE MET ENOUGH JAMAICANS WHO SAY THAT THEY WISH THEY DIDNT HAVE AN ACCENT SO THAT THEY COULD BE UNDERSTOOD BETTER. I KNOW HARRISON HAS LIVED IN JAMAICA & BEEN TO AFRICA & WHEREVER........ BUT SING WITH YOUR NATURAL VOICE. PLEASE. SPEAKING WITH A FAKE ACCENT IS PRETTY MUCH A SLAP IN THE FACE TO THAT CULTURE.
TRUTHS & RIGHTS... MR. DAN FRANKSTON FROM IREGGAE.
PEACE
living
February 21, 2004 09:05AM
Harison has studied with the best. He has put his time in. Cant you tell. The band has a special sound. Thae all are groundation. Roots
February 21, 2004 04:13PM

I once heard that
"imitation is the highest form of flattery"
john dillinger
February 21, 2004 08:48PM
there are play actors, folks who surrender to the culture, and then there are folks who witness the artform and graduate it, holding high all rules and honoring the culture and become it...
always gonna be something folks can point out in the documentation that isnt perfect, but i thinkg the brotha from groundation is true to the spirit of roots music and his singing with his interpretaion of a patois accent aint no problem.
patois is a dynamic language, sounds nice and describes things in ways that are pure and simple
professor harrison is true to life as far as me and my campground are concerned nds is certainly no fake dude who just picked up a bunny wailer album and is trying to be cute.
who is gonna carry the torch of this music in 100 years, feel me? children under the same sun who feel the vibe and calling and forward love...
i-visionary
February 24, 2004 01:12AM
Don Carlos, Marcia Higgs, The congos, and Ras Micheal Don't seem to share the same views as Barnicle, and thats good enough for me. im sold on Groundation.
nuff nice
February 24, 2004 01:16AM
True dat, cuzz if they did they wouldn't waste there time working with them...you make a good point.
peace and one love...
February 24, 2004 01:22AM

Don Carlos, Marcia Higgs, The congos, and Ras Micheal have accepted money for working with them... i don't think any of those artists have paid money to see them... we're talking about two different things.
bun n cheese
February 24, 2004 01:23AM
thanks for the quick response, Solid. I was about to say the same thing.
i-visionary
February 24, 2004 05:45AM
basically, i was saying that i truly don't believe that Don,Marcia,Ras Micheal, and Cedric would have their names on (or be a part of) a project, if they felt that groundation was in any way "Being very disrespectful to the Jamaican Culture by sing with a Jamaican/african accent". or if they thought that "Speaking with a fake accent is pretty much a slap in the face to that culture" (as barnicle put it). despite how much money was in it. NO WAY!!!!.......
February 24, 2004 05:33PM
Sistren Mojag,

My lovely girl, look see what a discussion! I love & miss you, will see you soon...

Many different opinions here...

Look to see a new Groundation album soon come!

Maybe a Midnite Groundation tour?

Much love from this heart to all

Alexsis

February 24, 2004 08:17PM
be yourself..........
dont copy.....
originate, dont imitate.....
remember, i said i love groundations 'music', just not the vocals.
i have all their albums.
irie 1
February 25, 2004 01:53AM
WHO are they copying?????.......just curious.

bring on groundation and hopefully Brotha Don Carlos joins them on stage to sing "Freedom takin over" NICENESS.
Love and bless up!!!!!....everytime
February 25, 2004 05:27AM
Aren't we all just a bit guilty of co-opting another culture when we privilaged(I realize how relative that term is, believe me) folks stand at the stage singing how we remember the days of slavery? On the other hand compassion for another's suffering may be felt as deeply as the sufferer.
I always remind myself where and HOW this music has come to be, with the full weight of history and cultural expression and suppression that helped to shape reggae as we know it. I never take the music or the artists for granted and come with full respect that it was because so many African diaspora had suffered and died for another's gains that this music exists at all.
As an anthropologist(among many other things), I was sensitized to this slippery issue of affected Jamaican or 'island' accents of certain artists when researching and writing my thesis on reggae in the bay area. It was one of the many issues that kept coming up for many whom I interviewed for my study.
It disturbed me to no end when the front man for a local reggae band I performed with had what I perceived as an affected "island" accent, when I came to know that he was raised in Marin. I recall a few folks actually coming up to me after the shows, and thanking me for not dreading my hair, or speaking with a Jafakin accent.
Perception, the great Deception.
I think this issue is a hot button for many, and we should continue the dialouge.
If I had had the room in my thesis to explore this issue more thoroughly at the time I was writing it, I would have, believe me.
Peace, Mon!
mojag
February 25, 2004 07:34AM
Freedom is music

and

music is freedom...

Harrison has travelled the world studying culture, and roots. Regardless of where he's from, or the style of vocals he chooses in song or lyric, and which religion he's chosen to live by, the guy has an abundance of passion, soul, projection and conviction, and love.

Isn't that what matters most?

My love returns to the Great and lovely Alexsis...
bun n cheese
February 25, 2004 09:11AM
though the top is a bit sensative for me(what, you want to be black?)
i feel there are a lot worse things to imitate.

let it be know that i cant spell.
sillysquirt
March 29, 2004 10:54PM
I think groundation is solid. They cameto Hawaii for three shows and ma and myfriends met them all. His voice is amazing and so is the music, we have all three albums. All music is imitated and morphed at some point in time if it is good. Even though I think they are origonal anyways.
proxy.aol.com
March 29, 2004 11:08PM
fidel!
March 30, 2004 12:28AM
Greetings all!
You know, I don’t really think that he projects an actual distinct accent at all. He may use patois, but who doesn’t? It’s the way the message is learned & taught. He expresses himself (IMO) the way he has interpreted his teachings.

The message is the most important thing here to me.

I have been ridiculed because of the way I speak so I am totally open minded to the fact that his way of speaking is natural to him. Just because he is white? I was told that I was a "wanna be white" because I spoke properly. Now really...
I see the 2 "accent" issues as the same.

BUT, to each his own & if you don’t like his voice, well that is valid! I don’t like Buju for that same reason. I don’t think his voice is "fake"; it’s just not my style...

Oh, did you all see the young tree website...THE CONGOS SIGN WITH YOUNG TREE LABEL!! Maybe someday when we go to see Groundation live, we will see DON CARLOS & THE CONGOS performing FREESOM TAKING OVER!!!

www.youngtreerecords.com

www.groundation.com

Much heart felt love to all
Pale Ryder
March 30, 2004 12:44AM
You know what is interesting, when many reggae artists sing, you can not hear the accent. Like Bob Marley or Jacob Miller for example. When we hear recordings of them talking, or an interview, you can hear the accent, but when they sing, you hear English. I am not talking about toasting, because the accent is very prominent there. So if you love reggae, sing it with all your heart. Sing in front of people in you have the courage. I guarantee, if you have talent, (meaning a decent voice) people will respect you for it, but you can't always please everyone......
sillysquirt
April 09, 2004 10:27PM
amen to that. Groundation has a good thing going. I know we willsee more of them.
April 14, 2004 06:45PM
RASTAFARI KING SELAHSSIE I KNOW ALL............SO LET GROUNDATION LIVE.............GROUNDATION YOU GUYS ARE A VERY ROOTS REGGAE BAND.......KEEP UP THE WORKS OF JAH...............BLESS. GAD----------A CHAPTER AHH DAY
Stevo
April 14, 2004 10:26PM
Amlak Gad-
Sincerely, could you point me to the chapters that prove or imply or suggest Selassie's divinity? Don't get me wrong here. Just trying to reason on this issue. Trying to hear from Rasta some personal reasons for this worship of H.I.M. as
God.....aside from worshiping H.I.M. simply cause other people do.
Good Intentions-
Stevo
jb welda
April 14, 2004 11:59PM
check marcus garveys words, them come to pass in so many ways.

one love
jah bill
Stevo
April 15, 2004 12:33AM
You saying he foretold Selassie's life or meaning in life? All I know really is how Garvey fight down the church(for good reasons yes), but not Christ, since he was a Christian(to the best of my knowledge), and he encouraged repatriation.(and I know there's so much more). Is there prophecy involved in Garvey's words?
-Stevo
April 15, 2004 12:46AM
Yeah he supposedly said "Look to Africa for the crowning of a Black King; He shall be the Redeemer." There was some debate about this as an associate of his, the Reverend James Morris Webb, the author of A Black Man will be the Coming Universal King, Provey by Biblical History, had spoken to the same effect at a meeting in 1924.
Stevo
April 15, 2004 01:04AM
Thanks Forward. Any elaboration would be helpful. Like......is the debate about........ Who said it first?
And if Webb said it first, or if Garvey did, were they predicting the Messiah? Not asking you to know for sure, but what's your view?
One more thing, what is the time line of Selassie's birth/ Garvey's death?
Irie Ites-
Stevo
April 15, 2004 01:09AM

Reguardless though the words Garvey did speak were the seed for Rastafari.. He said these things for sure........
"Ethiopia, land of our fathers.....the God of Etiopia, the everlasting God."
Also in a poem he wrote in 1937 entitled "Ras Nasibu Of Ogaden" he speaks of the defeat of this great Abyssinian leader as he died in exile while his country was taken over.....
yet then goes on to predicit the defeat of them shortly (and these words came to pass in 1941)
"Let's honour Nasibu's fair name,
And damn the Mussolini tribe:
This Abyssinian's splendid fame
Shall live through pen of Negro scribe.
Look out for time, that's comin soon,
To strike Italian Fascists down:
To us 'twill be a glorious boon
To have them sprawling on the ground."
April 15, 2004 01:29AM
Marcus Garvey 1887-1940
Tafari Makonnen/Haile Selassie I 1892-1975
Keep in mind Selassie I's coronation was not until 1930.
As far as those words pretaining to the Messiah, well any that believe Selassie is divine definately do. My opinion, he could have been talking about redemption from the colonial oppressors of Africa, and not spirtual redemption, but I really can't say.
Also many look to the bible for the fullfilling of prophecy in the incarnation of HIM. Just as Christ was the roots of David so is Selassie. King Selassie I is the three hundred and thirteen king of all the kings of Ethiopia and the one hundred and thirteenth king of the christian empire. He is also the 225th in a direct bloodline of the Ethiopian monarch, Menelik being the first. Menelik was the son of Queen of Sheba and king Solomon who is the son of David king of Israel.

Also, Jacob said in his Benediction almost four thousand years ago that , the scripture shall not depart from Judah, nor the lawgiver from between his feet until Shiloh come.
These are a couple of other verses from the bible that rastafari points to:
"Prince shall come out of Egypt, and Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hand unto God" (psalm 68.vrs:31)
"And one of the elder said unto me, weep not, behold the Lion of the tribe of judah, the root of king David hath prevailed to open the book and to loose the seven seals thereof" (rev. 5 ver:5).
April 15, 2004 06:50PM
I&I FOLLOW JAH AND the bible........for one thing i know is that jah is the creator of everything we see......i read my chapter everyday......jah bless the 12 tribes of israel........ jah ras-tafari.......much love to everyone
Pale Ryder
April 15, 2004 06:55PM
It is one thing to just say it, but it is another to know it, and believe it......
guy
May 20, 2004 08:24PM
barnicle you are an idiot
May 20, 2004 08:31PM
GLAD to see Groundation's name back here!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY!!! LOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUU!
Acacia
May 20, 2004 08:33PM
Who is Kathy?
May 20, 2004 08:46PM
A sweet Groundation fan!! A sweet girl!! A good girl!

My best friend... smiling smiley
May 20, 2004 08:56PM
I always enjoy Groundation!! Big Up!
May 20, 2004 09:06PM
ya know... its not too late to add them to the line up dontcha think?

They are finishing up in the studio on their latest album featuring Don Carlos & Apple Gabriel.

They will be playing inna Sf on 06/10/04

unproductive work day filled with love to you all!

NO FAIRFAX SHOW!!!!

SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION.

ONE LOVE,

ALEXSIS

Post Edited (05-24-04 10:45)
Jah-T
May 21, 2004 03:00AM
Big Up all reggae music, whoever or however, the more reggae music the better.
Even the reggae tunes used in those horrible commercials on TV, it still reggae and I love it, the music underneath the ad.
I respect your opinions Barnicle and B-N-C, maybe one day Harrison's style will grow on you. But I know you still love the music underneath, just like the rest of us. You are not an idiot for that reason.
May 21, 2004 03:37AM
not the JAH-T from overproff sound im imagining but nuff RASpects anywayz bredren. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
May 21, 2004 05:09PM
OH MY GOD!!!!

Happy Trails
Acacia
May 21, 2004 06:14PM
I know, Oh my god!!!

Wait, what?
May 21, 2004 11:30PM
Please, anyone here knows the Groundation Show-List ???
I´ve heard they´ll play here in Brasil on next July, but I don´t no if it´s truth.
May 23, 2004 08:21PM
Groundation has just been added to ROTR 2004!
May 28, 2004 12:56AM
plz, anyone here knows if Groundation will play in Brasil ?
HOT REGGAE ARTIST ARIVE
May 28, 2004 03:17PM
AKI MOTOR "Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the titanic".......-ArdKoore-
Hello Greetings ArdKoore Inc is getting ready to have the best and only the best will be on ArdKoore Inc label .We are getting ready to have the best Reggae culture artist release on the ArdKoore label (aka) BRANDO the hottest Jamaican artist will be an all time artist .We are inviting reggae listeners of all ages all our music are powerful and clean for positive vibes we will be running promo version live on line .send us a e mail to livereggaei@ardkoore.com or exchange a link with our site Thanks.
May 29, 2004 05:12AM
Groundation
satifies my soul
my vote to add them to the Sierra Nevada Line Up!
They are the hotest thing out there right now with Midnite
much love and support
Miss Love

it takes a whole village to raise a child
Ras-Cloud9
June 12, 2004 05:43PM
BIG UP GROUNDATION- Consciousness & positivity- FROM THE MONTEREY MASSIVE
Ras-Cloud9
June 12, 2004 05:48PM
Originion Roots Reggae = Groundation
iRONLION
June 12, 2004 11:07PM
Irie Ites. God is one! Just my opinion, by it kinda irritates me when people say the God they choose is the only One... I first came to faith in God through Jesus, but I dont belive every other religion is wrong... God spoke of Unity, not seperation! Anyhow, Jah Love-Peace-Unity I cant wait till snwmf, It's my first ever festival, YES I
June 13, 2004 02:39AM
speaking as a musician in general , and a bassist specifically, gdation is possibly the most righteous non-jamaican band ever. grooves are inescapable- and as far as the vocals?...they are most integral. lyrics(which are intelligent and pertinent) notwithstanding, the boy's voice is another and crucialw instrument. i have been more impressed with the musicianship and the total sound of these guys than with anyone i have heard in any genre in 10 years.
barnicle- smoke again, and listen again...
each one teach one
texbigdog
Sean M.
June 13, 2004 08:51AM
"i have been more impressed with the musicianship and the total sound of these guys than with anyone i have heard in any genre in 10 years."

Have you given John Brown's Body a listen? I believe they are one of the most underated reggae bands around. Talk about arrangement and musicianship!
June 13, 2004 03:15PM
haven't, but i will based on your recommendation.
had never heard of gdation until 2 months ago- reggae scene in texas more than a little limited- too much dub and dancehall, not enuff roots.
June 13, 2004 04:01PM
Yes, John Brown's Body is also right up there with Groundation IMO. Both excellent bands.

I have about 1 live show per band. Let me know if you want a live show to get you going on JBB.

Alexsis
Sean M.
June 13, 2004 07:08PM
I highly reccomend JBB's newer album, "Sprit's all around."
June 13, 2004 09:16PM
Spirits is a great album yes, but I would recomend Among Them & This Day. Those 2 are my fave. I think they are workin on the latest album at this time. Same with Groundation...
June 13, 2004 09:35PM
It doesn`t really matter where you come from Its where you are and where you are trying to get to, with all do raspect, I have found thru my travels of the world once you live in a culture, you begin speaking eating and becomming part of it, I dislike ones who FAKE as well but IM not to judge Its all in the word sound, and blessed if one can fallow with actions, ONLY JAH can make a judgment so we least be judged as we do onto other, Just a bit of Wise up,
Peace Love and RAS pect to all humans who have the ability to get up on a stage and sing praise
Blessings to all
Skyrain/Sistah~I~Ann
June 15, 2004 02:47AM
thanks for your thoughts and blessings...
and the recommedations of jbb- i will pursue.
also s-rain, thank you for reconizing what it means and takes to get onstage and make folks smile...god forbid, dance!
we as musicians cheat however...we REALLY dig it! when folks dig us, we get better.
while my bands are not lyrically as deep or, perhaps, musically as accomplshed as gdation, let me assure you that the more you like them(us) the better they are!
June 16, 2004 02:35AM
Queen Alexsis.
The birthday stalker, I love you!!
Hey, I'll take a copy!!

Kathy
July 07, 2004 03:49AM
ok., all...
here's my deal- now have all jbb available, and i could not be more blissful- they the greatest.
the conjunction of jbb and gdation makes the greatest mix u can imagine.
white boys tho' they may be, they both shiver me timbers...in fact the tape i ride and work with is called "mostly white boys".
i am impressed and humbled by their prowess.
their beat is replete and the sound is complete...
tbd
July 07, 2004 03:50AM
ok., all...
here's my deal- now have all jbb available, and i could not be more blissful- they the greatest.
white boys tho' they may be, they both shiver me timbers...in fact the tape i ride and work with is called "mostly white boys".
tbdmojag wrote:

> Queen Alexsis.
> The birthday stalker, I love you!!
> Hey, I'll take a copy!!
>
> Kathy
July 07, 2004 03:54AM
ok., all...
tbdmojag wrote:

> Queen Alexsis.
> The birthday stalker, I love you!!
> Hey, I'll take a copy!!
>
> Kathy
July 07, 2004 03:34PM
Ah! Right on! So glad to hear that you dig JBB!! What albums did you get / are your really feeling? Check out their website, they are playing several shows! Looks like youre in TX & I dont think they are playing there, but you can come to Cali & see then in SF @ Music in the park Oct 2nd!! Also...

GROUNDATION IN SF @ SLIM'S
ALL AGES!!!
FRIDAY THE 30TH 2004

Blessings i pray upon you all
rustfan
July 07, 2004 06:50PM
I bought a Groundation cd at a swapmeet not that long ago. Think I paid one dollar for it. One of the worst spent dollars of my life. Almost unlistenable.

Next time I visit a tall building - I'm gonna give it to the guy who runs that thing that takes you from floor to floor - oh yeah, the elevator.
jbwelda
July 07, 2004 07:01PM
is this the cd with don carlos on a couple tracks? is that even the same "groundation"? (i seem to remember this being covered somewhere in the preceding 70 messages but what can i say? im lazy.) if it is then i think the cd was pretty worthwhile though a bit too "atmospheric" for my tastes. maybe thats why you think the elevator operator will like it?

one love
jah bill
rustfan
July 07, 2004 07:26PM
Well, I found the one I'm talking about - it was being used to stabilize the leg of a shaky end table. No Don Carlos in sight - the cd is called 'Each One Teach One'.

Hate to say it.......but it has Ras Michael's name is on it - that's probably why I bought it. Dont think Ras had much to do with the cd though - maybe a "ya mon" here and there, plus a slight head nod once in awhile.

Biggest problem with the cd - the lead singer is really trying to do a Bob Marley thing during the whole cd - and it dont work. Soft backing tracks too. D+ at best.
July 07, 2004 10:45PM
Jah Bill,

Are you thinking of "Hebron's Gate". I know that Don Carlos did at least one track on that album, also a track with one of the Congos I believe.

One love
eric v
jbwelda
July 07, 2004 11:44PM
that would be the one eric...was that groundation, and the groundation we are referring to here?

one love
jah bill
Eric V
July 08, 2004 12:05AM
I think so, to my best guess, I think the album we are both thinking of. Did it kind of have a jazzy feel to some tracks?

One love
eric v
July 08, 2004 12:57AM
yes yes & yes Jah Bill. both are one in the same. Hebron gate is the one with Don Carlos & The Congos.

New album will have Don C & Apple Gabriel on it.
July 08, 2004 01:13PM
Yeah - and I'm pretty sure that Cedrick AND Congo Ashanti Roy are BOTH on the one track. Let's hope they stay on the same track...
July 11, 2004 06:59AM
hello I'm italian boy and I find a lyrics of GROUNDATION,where can I find it??????? HELP ME THANK YOU VERY MUCH ;;;;DANIELE
July 12, 2004 07:44AM
Hay Daniel,

Sorry to say, I dont believe that there are any Groundation lyrics on line. Not a bad suggestion for them though. I'll deffinintely run that by who ever I can. But you're best bet is to get an origional cd, they have lyrics in the sleeve.

NEW ALBUM COMMING OUT SOON!! Sept i think.
www.groundation.com

GROUNDATION @ SLIMS INNA SF. ALLLLLL AGES!!!!!
FRIDAY JULY 30TH!

come & lively up yourself!!!

Mucho amor para nosotros,

Alexsis
July 12, 2004 09:08PM
Alexsis,

Bring them back to San Luis Obispo !!

One love
eric v
July 12, 2004 09:30PM
I think if someone is deeply influenced by a culture or type of music, then they are going to try and take an authentic approach to it. Granted some accents may be terrible to hear, but we should be a little tolerant when someone is heavily influenced by something. Sometimes american accents are just too "square" for reggae.
July 12, 2004 09:45PM
Haaaay Eric!!

I'm sure when the new album drops, you'll be seeing them & maybe I can hitch a ride so I can see them in SLO too! Why not come up to the bay for the 30th show?

Alexsis
July 14, 2004 02:59PM
Alexsis,

Are you tied with the band? If so, drop me an email at my address. I am a DJ that plays with local reggae band Dubsense, maybe we can put something together

One love
eric v
July 15, 2004 04:36AM
Saw them a few months ago and thought they were just terrible.

The rhythm section couldn't carry the swing. And like a lot of new bands, the weakness of the playing was exposed when they tried to do to much or extend a song for too many bars. But worst of all was the anti-charisma of the singer. I don't mind at times if a singer can't sing very well, a limited vocalist can still work if the voice is fit into the right musical context. But this guy puts himself out in front of the mix in a truly egotistical way. Goes on and on and on. Basically his singing is flat and harsh and unlistenable, becoming unintentionally funny when he goes all spastic.

Only thing I liked about the band was the female singer, she should be singing lead, and the head guy can play the tambourine or something.
July 15, 2004 02:56PM
Are you sure you are speaking on the same bang in the topic? I’m surprised to hear that you feel that the rhythm section couldn’t hang either. They all went to college to study music, specifically Jazz. The horn section is one of the tightest reggae horn sections that I have ever heard. And Iron on the bass? HE is so perfectly technical with what he does. No disrespect, just surprise. To each his own of course.
rustfan
July 15, 2004 05:49PM
"They all went to college to study music"

I always knew college was overrated...........

-------------------------------------

".....the weakness of the playing was exposed when they tried to do to much or extend a song for too many bars."

Overcomplicated chord changes & poorly done "taking it to the bridge" = the kiss of death for most reggae bands - or any type of band for that matter.
July 15, 2004 07:34PM
Yes exactly rustfan. I just saw a ska band Monkey Ska or something like that. Obviously the horn guys had had a lot of jazz training, so instead of doing punchy sixteen bar solos that stayed in the song framework like Baba Brooks or Dizzy Moore, they'd extend beyond with all sorts of fancy solos, on and on, until they could barely find their way home.

Personally I feel that ska and reggae songs sound best when they are kept under 4 minutes. That's the way they were played originally.

I'm not saying that the guys in Groundation weren't good musicians, but their work as an ensemble was not tight.
Acacia
July 15, 2004 07:49PM
I like the female singer too. She has her own band actually where she sings lead. I like to watch her dance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login