Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sugar minott: roots lover

Posted by jb welda 
jb welda
sugar minott: roots lover
March 20, 2006 04:09PM
i forget if anyone has mentioned this release on makasound here yet but if not im here to tell you you need this one. not noted is that each and every track (practically, dont hold me to literal interpretations) is an extended disco mix. 2 cds of the best ever sugar minott.

check it out

one love
jah bill
Re: sugar minott: roots lover
March 20, 2006 04:11PM
Absolutely crucial disc, with showcase versions of some great roots tunes that are hard to find anywhere else.

Respect-

DJ Bahilman
www.sky.fm/rootsreggae/
March 20, 2006 04:14PM
can this be found @ ernies?
one love-juan love
jb welda
March 20, 2006 04:18PM
hey bahilman, not to change the subject or anything but i was listening to your show the other day at a friends house and noticed you played the skulls black slavery days. i assume you took that off the reissue on auralux or whatever it was. have you ever heard the 12" single version of that song, 10+ minutes on each side? gets a bit much but has to be a contender for longest mix of a single track ever, one side vocal and one side dub though the vocal side contains a lot of instrumental as well.

big up on your show, it was well nice.

one love
jah bill
March 21, 2006 12:47PM
Nitpick of the day: it's on Moll Selekta, not Makasound.

JB, I remember you saying some time ago that Ranking Dread's "Superstar" is a favorite of yours; is it the one on this CD, or another cut (I heard a completely different RD tune supposedly with the same title at one point)?
jb welda
March 21, 2006 01:10PM
sorry fish i stand corrected, i wrote that post without the cd in front of me and you know how memory goes.

nitpick of the day part 2: i dont think i ever mentioned superstar as a favorite; im not all that impressed with it. maybe it was "poor man story" i said was a favorite.

but the one on this compilation is indeed the same as my black roots 7" so i guess the answer is yes. it also contains african girl but unfortunately leaves out the ranking dread toast as on the live and love 12'; but does include the dub version as per the lp, in fact the cut between the vocal and dub sounds very familiar to me ;-) kind of studio one style.

by the way send me an email; we might need one of your completeist dancehall write ups again this year.

one love
jah bill
March 23, 2006 02:46PM
I agree..the Sugar Minott cd is great..what do you think of the Leroy Smart release on Makasound?...

I am enjoying that as well
g
jb welda
March 23, 2006 03:28PM
ive got it angel but to tell the truth i havent had a chance to spin it yet...im looking forward to it though. this darn sugar minott release is stuck in my cd player!

one love
jah bill
March 23, 2006 03:55PM
Yeah, that Sugar release is top notch!!!
More infos here:
[www.moll-selekta.com]

March 24, 2006 12:41AM
Just got the two lp leroy smart today - killer tunes. Many vocals to rhythms i had only heard in dub before. Good cut on Yabby you's fire in kingston rhythm. nice cut on horace andy's zion gate rhythm. another noteworthy tune on a different veriosn of jacob miller's roman soldiers of babylon rhythm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login