Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

carly barrett - a very great drummer IMHO

Posted by roots-ee 
carly barrett - a very great drummer IMHO
March 22, 2006 05:10AM
is/are there someone/someones here who can please point me to some of his music other than the marley recordings?
anything readings? article? books?

he was such a smooth on time drummer, cool too and unhurried...

thank you,

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
papa ray
Re: carly barrett - a very great drummer IMHO
March 22, 2006 05:56AM
Carly Barrett, reggae's consummate tap-dancer, but what of his legacy,
in a music-form that now is too often expressed w/ drum machines???

Ten years ago in JA, I was talking w/ a young producer who was enthusiastically
talking of all the activity he saw on the island, how many new studios there were.
I asked him, 'right, and how many of these 'new studios' could acoustically record
the drummer and not depend on a key-pad?' He thought a moment and said,
'none that I know of'.

But yes, CB was a marvelous drummer, was he not?
March 22, 2006 07:09AM
The experts here can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Carly is featured on Israel Vibes: Unconquered People and Alpha Blondy: Jerusalem.
March 22, 2006 07:11AM
check out "Black Ark in Dub" as well.
March 22, 2006 07:26AM
he drums on tosh's legalize it and some tunes on equal rights and bunny's blackheart man
March 22, 2006 07:28AM
so far, this is exciting, respescx all...
C
March 22, 2006 07:40AM
He plays a few of the tracks on the Don Carlos album "Just A Passing Glance."
I know he is on the song "You Are My Sunshine" but I'm not sure what other songs.
March 22, 2006 07:40AM
Keith Hudson's "Pick A Dub"?
bee
March 22, 2006 07:59AM
March 22, 2006 08:06AM
that's a nice resource, bee
papa wheelie
March 22, 2006 08:46AM
The Wailers - Tribute to Carly Barrett - Atra Records
Barrett Brothers - Macka Dub - Clocktower ?
March 22, 2006 08:52AM
I've heard it said before, "Carly Barrett invented the One Drop." Is this a fair asessment or an exaggeration? What do the I think?
March 22, 2006 08:55AM
All i know is that when I heard Dezarie's drummer on this tour, I thought to myself (after listening for about 1 minute) that he's definately got Carlton's style of drumming....
March 22, 2006 09:23AM
i won't worry if carly invited the 'one drop' or not but i have to say no one played it as well as he did early on.
baldhed
March 22, 2006 10:09AM
the one drop was invented by Winston Grennan who passed on about 5 years ago.
other reggae albums that carly might be on are Oku Onuora's 'I A Tell Dubwise' & Iword Wolde Selassie's super rare LP 'Spread The Word' the first wailers recording after Bob died.
king pablo
March 22, 2006 03:20PM
Check out the Dennis Brown/John Holt Wild Fire album, from 1985. It is a tight album featuring both legends dueting and taking the lead mic. Carly plays drums on all tracks and he throughs down in a wicked '85 style, acoustic drums w/electric drum embellishment. The other musicians are all top notch, Lloyd Parks on bass and a heap of other legends. Definitely pick this one up. In my opinion the John Holt track, "Emergency" is one of his best, featuring a great example of the greatness of Carlton on the skins.
pale ryder
March 22, 2006 03:32PM
Carly has some of the nicest intros and drum rolls I have ever heard. Did he pass from something gun related?
Roots_Drummie
March 22, 2006 03:45PM
Author: pale ryder (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: 03-22-06 15:32

Carly has some of the nicest intros and drum rolls I have ever heard. Did he pass from something gun related?>>

Yeah. His wifes lover shot him.
March 22, 2006 04:08PM
Um - wasn't he in the orignal Upsetters/Hippy Boys???

Seems to me he's probably on a ton of older releases... or did he join just before Bob "appropriated" Scratch's studio band?
Dr Lifty Lu
March 22, 2006 04:54PM
Check for songs credited to "Hippy Boys"; that's the Barrett Bros. group just prior to becoming Wailers. There's a '69 album "Reggae with the Hippy Boys", and a compilation of their tracks w/ Lloyd Charmers "Psychedelic Reggae". I've seen a few odd tracks on other comps, I especially love their cover of The Meters funk classic "Look Ka-Py-Py"
March 22, 2006 05:08PM
>The experts here can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Carly is featured on >Israel Vibes: Unconquered People and Alpha Blondy: Jerusalem.

The Alpha Blondy: Jerusalem album was the last project Carly
record on. The day after it finish Carly was given his ticket
to Paradise and the girl behind the assassin walked.

On the positive tip - the Jerusalem Album was certainly a profound
book-end to a wonderful & amazing life of musical service and
upliftment.

Truth Keepers can look forward to seeing Carly on a vastly more
auspicious stage.
<><><><>
Ovah
RON-I
March 22, 2006 09:47PM
roots-ee also Carly on some tracks on the Lee Perry album "SOUNDZ FROM THE HOTLINE"
March 22, 2006 10:49PM
OK - had to go dig this up. This is an interview with Glen Adams from Grand Royal issue #2 (beastie boyz mag) - interviewed by Mark Ramos Nishita (excerpts) :

MRN: You met the Barrett brothers and started recording?

GA: Yes, ever since the first day we met we started recording. We call ourselves the Hippy Boys at that time, but Bunny Lee put out this stuff called "Lee's All Star". You performed for all those producers. If we played for Duke Reid, it would be Treasure Isle All Star. If we play for RJ, it would be RJ's All Star. We didn't do a lot of live gigs. If it was live gig we would be working for free. Promoting the ghetto sound.

MRN: What was it like coming to England with the Upsetters in '69?

GA: It started out cheerful, but it ended up rough.

MRN: With the personalities?

GA: No, mostly the business end. The company. Their arrangement. We had bad times on the road because we didn't have any experience travelling out there.

MRN: When did the bad vibes start?

GA: When the good vibes stopped.

**** From the same mag - uncredited interview with Tommy McCook:

GR: Did you see him grow the roles of producer and arranger? (referring to Lee Perry)

TM: Not during the ska era. When the music changed he left Studio One, in about '66. He had a record shop on Charles Street. This is after Wailers also left Studio One. They were located at the same studio with Lee Perry and, what's the name of the group?

GR: Carlton and Aston Barrett?

TM: Yes, the Hippy Boys. Carlton and Family Man, Reggie the Guitarist (Alva Lewis) and Glen the organist - they were working with Lee Perry at the time. He started to produce the Wailers from this location...

**** also from same mag (Lee Perry was the cover story - hence the multitude of Perry related articles):

Late 1968: Founds Upsetter Records, then with help from Clive Chin and Erroll Thompson begins producing at Randy's Studio 17. Enjoys instrumental by house band, The Upsetters, aka Gladdy's All Stars (Gladstone Anderson, keybs, Winston Wright, organ, Hux Brown, gtr, Jackie Jackson, bass, Lloyd "Tinleg" Adams, drm). Also produces hit vocal tunes like "Tighten Up", which later lends its title to to Trojans popular series of cut rate reggae compilations.

October 1969: "Return of Django", an Upsetter instrumental of Fats Dominoe's "Sick and Tired", featuring saxaphonist Val Bennet appears in British TV adverts, then grows so popular that it stays at number 5 on UK charts for 3 weeks, in particular striking a chord with white skinheads.

December 1969: Ad hoc version of Upsetters (Aston Barrett, bass, Carlton Barrett, drm, Alva Lewis, gtr, Glen Adams, organ) tours UK. Melody Maker calls London show "disaster". Upon returning home, Barret bro.s and Adams quit Scratch to join Wailers.

It goes on to talk about Perry and Bob making up, and they record several gems before the collaboration stops for many years. So the Hippy Boys were really only the Upsetters for the UK tour it would seem, and certainly not the original. Anyone know if Perry reverted back to the same house band after that tour?

Post Edited (03-22-06 23:28)

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
baldhed
March 22, 2006 10:54PM
dont forget the great LP by Sons of Jah 'Bankrupt Morality' from 1978, also the late Justin Hinds album 'Travel with Love' & why not add a couple trax on the Medtations classic "Guidance' LP
March 24, 2006 01:26PM
I am going to suggest Barrett Brothers release on RAS, nice nice dub,
and there was another LP which was released shortly after his death, called Tribute to Carlton Barrett, which had a great song called "Earth must be hell".
I also heavily recommend an album called Iword, Spread the Word. this has long been a favorite of mine, recorded in JA shortly after Bob's passing with Wailers,
I3s, Is Vibes, Diamonds and others, bits and pieces on a recent release
www.track3studio.com, Iword told me he will be re releasing the album soon.
It is awesome. I have been really looking for an album with John Denver, called
It's about Time, or something like that, featuring the Barrett Bros.
Then there is Iya Karna and the Wailers, Inkarnation on the Rub a DUb label from Sweden.

Man I miss his special skill on the drums.....
March 26, 2006 02:09PM
i just found out that
justin hinds' "TRAVEL WITH LOVE" has carly's drumming...

one of my all time fave LPs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login