Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who wants I-grade showcase @ snwmf

Posted by Balboa 
Balboa
Who wants I-grade showcase @ snwmf
March 22, 2006 10:34AM
If anyone wants to see I-grade showcase with red-I band feat. abja, army, niyorah for snwmf, post it!
Easy,
B

V.I. roots a must
trinpro
Re: Who wants I-grade showcase @ snwmf
March 22, 2006 10:57AM
I'll see your Army, Abja, and Niyorah, and raise you a Pressure, Danny I, and Volcano.

Great job coming through with the Million7 horns Balboa. It takes some truly talented and intuitive musicians to stand and deliver those horn lines with out much rehersal time.

It would be a great addition to the lineup to have the I Grade Showcase with full horn section featured at the festival. They would certainly bring the VI fanbase up to Boonville. Respect, MK

jah roots
March 22, 2006 11:01AM
in addition to the I-Grade showcase presently on tour, bring Ancient King, add on Jah Rubal, and MK i second your Lava/Volcano.
March 22, 2006 11:04AM
I'll second Volacano and Danny I and throw in a dose of Mossiah and Ankh Watep for good measure...
Balboa
March 22, 2006 11:05AM
BRING DA WHOLE ISLAND, WE'LL BACK'EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!
March 22, 2006 11:17AM
When is Yahdanai gonna get his due recognition?
March 22, 2006 11:21AM
Iah Iyahzarite Isis wrote:

> When is Yahdanai gonna get his due recognition?

I recognize that 'One Atonement' is currently in heavy rotation in my CD player. Crucial tunes.

Peace,
-RV
March 22, 2006 11:24AM
I know you won't like this, but I've heard enough from St Croix for a while, other than Dezarie they are all played out on the west coast, how many time have these shows played in the last year, maybe try the east coast...
HIGHPRAISE
March 22, 2006 11:25AM
Yes yes .. Yahadanai ?? Great question .... Tha I Grade showcase is a must + Danny I , Lava , Mossiah .....
HIGHPRAISE
March 22, 2006 11:28AM
Tahoearmada -- Besides tha handfull of VI artists that have bless us at tha fest there are soooo many more as you can see by tha requests on this thread with many different sounds . So lets rally man . Cant deny tha talent ..
one love
March 22, 2006 12:04PM
Tahoe, yes Bambu Station has been out there many times, Batch, Attitude and the Zioneers go out to the west coast often. Midnite has also toured extensively on the west coast. But, Jah Rubal, Volcano, Danny I, and Massiah as far as i know have never performed on the west coast.

For Niyorah and Abja, this tour is their second on the West Coast, and as you see from comments here they are blazing it up. Army as well has not toured extensively on the west coast, Sierra Nevada 2005 being one of the first.

Maybe they have played out for you, so miss their shows. but there are lots of people who would love to see any or all of these artist.
March 22, 2006 02:41PM
i will tenth the requests for an i grade showcase with abja army and niyo and really anyone else...and yes i, adding yahadanai would be crucial, been wondering when we will see him out here and it is nice to hear the call echoed...one atonement is definitely a super mystic album and is dominating my selections these days...i really cant think of anyone else i'd rather see at snwmf, except of course adding in dezarie...this group of messengers is really setting the standards for high vibes and needs to be supported...bring em!!!!!

and hey once again awesome set with da horns...much respect and hopefully we'll see another performance soon...bless

March 22, 2006 02:54PM
>as long as midnite 'wont' play im up for it!

-RASpects+
March 22, 2006 04:25PM
I knew you wouldn't like it, but yes there are a few who haven't performed out west, but Niyorah, Abja, Army, and Yahadanai have all played multiple dates around northern cali over the past two years. I have nothing against them as I have been at most of these shows at multiple venues each tour, I'm just getting tired. I still haven't caught Donny Dread, Volcano, or Bhingi Ghost yet though...
---bless---
riffy
March 22, 2006 04:31PM
Jahmeek, not my biz, seen. but curious why u have a hard-on fi Midnite?
riffy
March 22, 2006 04:39PM
Midnite brings concious lyrics and a loving flow everytime for this I.
jb welda
March 22, 2006 04:39PM
donny dread was with the i grade showcase in sf at least, only one song though.

based on what i heard the other week i would be 100% behind having them; the only problem is we are running out of stage time!

one love
jah bill
March 22, 2006 05:01PM
i definately support any st croix artists coming out. Theirs not a st croix artist ive seen that i havent enjoyed... midnite, dezarie, bambu, ikahba, pressure, army, niyorah, abja, ras attitude and batch, ancient king, iba... each put on a show that rivals many of the more experienced jamaican performers ive seen.

Any of the artists that have been around west coast would be nice, but I would certainly be just as happy with a few artists i havent seen as with a whole showcase of artists i already have, if stage time is an issue.

bring yahadanai, jahcob seed, de apostle, or, if possible, the D.A.P.P. band people have been talking about on this forum.

A star lion showcase would also be epic.
March 22, 2006 05:24PM
Tahoe, where and when did you see Yahadanai? I was unaware that he had been out this way and would love to hear a review of that show.

I'll acknowledge that some of these guys have been out here quite a bit more often than their Jamaican counterparts over that past few years, but I see that as a testament to their music and growing popularity. With the exception of only one show that I can think of all the VI shows that I've been to in the last couple of years, and that's alot, have been infront of a packed house.

So many VI artists I would love to see at this years SN. How about
Sabbatical Ahdah
Bobo Hites
Lava
Mosiah
De Apostle (Apostle in the dancehall would be massive)
Army
Abja
Niyorah
How about the Red-I band and the D.A.P.P band backing these vocalist
joseph
March 22, 2006 06:23PM
Mossiah for sure. Like to hear yahadanai get recognition. Also, lava and xkaliba. Mash would be nice to have alongside Revolution. One of my favorites Danny I, where is he at?
FAN OF HUMBLE ROOTS MUSIC
March 22, 2006 06:32PM
I BET JAHGEEK WANT SOME ST. CROIX, RAS TO THE BONE MUSIC!
bring it
March 31, 2006 02:51PM
Give the people what they want!

mecchi
March 31, 2006 04:04PM
is tim duncan also part of i-grade VI showcase?
March 31, 2006 09:20PM
the saint croix v.s jamaica thing hafi stop. separation of conciousness. nuff respect to niyora and red I and army and the massive. i hope to see them at the festival . bless.
April 01, 2006 11:37AM
Bring forth the I Grade! what about Mash,Willow,Abadan?
g mon g
April 01, 2006 03:07PM
bring Afyah. ini see future in this kid on the one track he does on BAtch's new album.nice voice to boot.. bring back Batch and Attitude w/ Zioniers backing dem.. i-grade keeps skipping lost angels. why? no clue. was gonna go to world beat center last night and decided not to as it's to far for i.bring the Ancient King cat in as well
April 01, 2006 04:27PM
bring all the female VI artists

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
April 01, 2006 08:40PM
i would be waaaaaay stoked on a female vi showcase backed by red i...

bless

April 03, 2006 10:30AM
SORRY TAHOE! tHEY COME TO THE WEST COAST CAUSE WE LOVE THEM EVERYTIME! I want to see the star lion family show that would be super high!
Niyo & Abja of course! also i'd love to hear the ladies of st. croix Natty Empress, Lady Passion, Dezarie(ALWAYS) ! This music speaks so deeply to many of us in this time-bringing the light of jah to all who are ready to recieve!
Much love and respect to all!
April 03, 2006 11:00AM
sighhhhh,

it seems there are enough "down-playas" that STX will NOT get representation this go around at SNWMF. If Inner Visions is the VI rep this year, that does not even touch the tip of this iceberg. IV is a STJ band, "love city", not a STX ting, not even a STT ting. So much available to share, but the down playas seem to get their way this year. No STX on the bill. Too much last year I guess? Shame as many want the artists to represent. The VI empress set would have been classic and top notch. Not just Dezarie or Lady Passion....Mada Nile!!! Sista Joyce!!! these ladies would give the eyes their money worth alone. However, it does seem the organizers don't want to give too much play to the STX artists.

Tohoearmada, have you even seen some of the STX artists you've heard enough of?? You, like many here block all VI artists as ONE, while they each have their unique reach. Yet, you have heard enough. Seems the majority here have not. I say forward with the ladies, some Mossiah, Lava, Caliba, Bobo Ites, Sab Ahdah, and De Apostle (if you haven't had too much!). and Yahadanai, you've really heard too much from dis brethren?

Also, Pressure busted nuff pipes this weekend with lotsa newness, alongside Bennie Man here in STX. Guess who came out shining in love and light?? Hint, it wasn't Bennie. You've seen too much Pressure too?

As it's seems a bit late, for all those that wanna vibe with the VI roots aritists, check Brother Manna in VT for his July ting: (just planting a seed!)

ic

We have reached a turning point here in Vermont. The family & crew of Satta Sounds, Rise Up Productions & 1LB Productions have collaborated on what has now become a firm date for the Vermont Roots & Culture Festival.

It will take place one day/night only Saturday, July 29th 2006.

It will run very similar to the WRIP festival with all VI Artists and integrating a very strong cultural, ital vibe around the show's site. Lots of natural foods, clothing, and ital enterprises from Vermont and beyond.

The site is located in the Mad River Valley in Central Vermont, surrounded by deep forests, waterfalls, rivers, ainshant mountains and valleys. The most ital location possible for I Jah Works to be performed.

The list of performers is not yet available as we are still negotiating who will be available. If anyone/any artist out there has interest in linking up to do the works here in Vermont, please forward your links to sattasounds@hotmail.com. We are praying that this date will allow for a solid channel of Love and InIty between STX and Vermont. The more representation VI has, the mo' fya' will bun.

Also, Satta Sounds is taking dub plate material, promos, and specials from all VI Artists to large up this event and elevate VI Consciousness as a whole. Link Up with the Manna asap.

Ites and Ises to all VI family(Bambu,IGrade,Tuff Lion,Red I,Iyah Vaughn,Midnite,UCA's,F'sted,ICharlie,Bubblin'Bubblers,Xcaliba,Asher) down there that gave the Manna all Love last January. Never forget that. Bless.

New VI compilations coming soon! Link up to help with production, and distribution. Yes I.

the Manna
Satta Sounds

"I know you won't like this, but I've heard enough from St Croix for a while, other than Dezarie they are all played out on the west coast, how many time have these shows played in the last year, maybe try the east coast..."
trinpro
April 03, 2006 11:19AM
>However, it does seem the organizers don't want to give too much play to the STX artists.

I Charlie..

Please take into account the fact that it was this festival was the first to bring Midnite to the attention of the West Coast massive in 2002.

Please also remember that they have brought forward Dezarie, Ikahba, Iba, Bambu Station, Batch, Ras Attitude, Afyah, Bobo Ites, Tuff Lion, Pressure, and Army over the past two years.

The promoters of this festival have played a major role in bringing the VI roots artists to its current level of recognition, so lets honor them and hold a good thought for the addition of some VI artists to this years lineup.

The Vermont festival sounds like a nice event as well, although SNWMF is inna different category. Respect, -MK

April 03, 2006 11:28AM
wow! Bless up, I Charlie! nuff respects...

this looks like a huge event... please keep we informed...

onna next note, I don't think the "down-playas" as ya seh, have any REAL thing ta do with a lack of STX roots & otherwise performing snwmf this year, but with that sed, I really don't know why it is so... but I also think it is NOT a bad thing...

jus I&I humble opinion...

oh, and what Mike seh... so tru!!!

Post Edited (04-03-06 11:29)

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
jb welda
April 03, 2006 11:34AM
>However, it does seem the organizers don't want to give too much play to the
>STX artists.

really. so you want this to be the sierra nevada stx music festival or something? like midnite three years and an entire afternoon and evening last year showcasing stx artists wasnt enough of a "play"? i for one have been lobbying behind the scenes for the red i band and this i grade showcase but reality intrudes...there is only so much time available.

>You, like many here block all VI artists as ONE,

if i may be so bold...like you are currently doing?

one love
jah bill
April 03, 2006 11:43AM
who dis "Bennie Man" I keep seein references to...???

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
April 03, 2006 12:47PM
Weird that a dancehall dj would name himself after that old Jewish comedian who played the violin so badly...
ooops! Now I did it! I mentioned the J word, now all the off-topic fools will be all over my $#!+...
jb welda
April 03, 2006 12:57PM
beenie youngman?

one love
jah bill
April 03, 2006 01:25PM
c'mon guyz, I trying ta be serious here!

--> who dis "Bennie Man"...?

I am not sure dat dis a 'misspelling' of Beenie Man, cas if dats da case, lotta peeps all ovah misspelling his name...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
April 03, 2006 01:32PM
Phew,

I didn't mean to raise the hair on anyeyes back here with I post.

jb, I didn't say anything about a SN STX WMF. all I said was "STX will NOT get representation this go around at SNWMF". I guess you can't read I inflection, but I give big props to SNWMF for bringing the VIs to Cali way and exposing many to the vibes. OK. Not busting on SNWMF. There must be a reason that there is not 1 (ONE) STX on the bill yet. Right?? I was throwing out the possibility that because there are many "down-playas" of STX reggae, that the organizers may have decided to give them a rest this year. Even with the calls for more and more. Is there any other reason you can come up with that there are ZERO STX bands performing this year at SNWMF? I'm sure it's not because the masses yaway have heard too much. As I mentioned above many many have never come to show their works. Again, I didn't say anything about the last few years, I'm talking about SNWMF 2006. I also don't see how you read I am blocking all VI artists as ONE. I mentioned the many that have never been to Cali in an attempt to show Tahoearmada that is much more to hear before he gets "tired". I said they each have a unique reach. That comment alone is seperating them from each other. I mention an artist like Pressure, because I just saw so much newness this weekend that the masses that like Pressure would be thrilled to see him again.

And yes, there is only so much time available. just seems like some organized decisions to have so many STX artists last year and not ONE this year. If you think it's only due to time constraints, so be it. I think there is more to it than time constraints. (namely Pressure from "STX downers"winking smiley

Also jb, if there is still time to lobby, throw in a vote for I for Jr. P!!

Ras Danny,

Bennie Man, Aka Beanie Man, aka Moses Davis......

as for the VT fest, link with the Manna at sattasounds@hotmail.com for more info. He will most def fill you in and up!

MK, raspects Iverytime. Yes indeed I prop up SNWMF for bringing the VI including Midnite in 2002 and all dem you mention above. In response to those that are tired, or block it all together and say it's all so sleepy, I also brought out a few names that have never gone west to show. InI do honor those that forward Jah Works for Jah peeps. Nuff respets for the hard long hours of work, while most play hard at the fest.

ic
jb welda
April 03, 2006 02:09PM
>namely Pressure from "STX downers"

believe it or not, most who make decisions dont pay much attention to those who are negative about this or that. things happen or things dont happen. last year we had a lot of st croix artists; this year it may not be so but dont think its because of person x who talks bad about artist y. it doesnt work like that; snwmf strives to deliver a good festival for its guests so if things work out right they work out right. not all artists have been signed or announced yet; there is more to come. most artists are chosen based on merit; very few because a vocal minority either expresses a wish to see them or to not have them.

and its not always like you/we *want* someone and they materialize on the bill...often times they are not available or decline because of their own reasons.

and my comment about the "blocking" of vi artists was because you refer to them as "vi artists" which they may be but in the end they are individual artists or individual showcases of artists. i believe that was your point but it was negated somewhat by your very words clumping them together as if they were one homogeneous whole. if for instance midnite were booked, would that satisify your need for "vi artists" or is that just midnite?

anyway for my part i do not lobby for artists i do not know or havent heard...i was very impressed with the quality of the i grade showcase the other month and so i lobby for them to make an appearance. i appreciate quality, not hype (im not implying anything here, just stating the facts)...and the i grade showcase had it all: high quality playing, high quality material from high quality artists, high quality singing and stage presence, and high quality sound with a warm feeling from the stage for its audience. its that kind of vibe i like to see at snwmf (and for the record i dont really get that from midnite but i wont go further on that tip here).

one love
jah bill
April 03, 2006 02:24PM
the guy with your initials...Jack Beenie...
April 03, 2006 02:31PM
>this deal could hog up a stage for an entire afternoon or what ever. could u forward a artist/group to do a normal time tabled set instead of promotion list type package???
>if your asking me who? out of this list army since batch iz not here...

-RASpects+
April 03, 2006 03:46PM
OK jb. And yes, if Midnite were booked, I would consider that as ONE STX artist/group on the bill. As of now I don't think there is one booked. STJ's bringin Inner Vision, which I also compare a likkle with Third World, very different from the roots/dub poetry/hip-hop lyrics coming from stx.

As for why there is not one band from STX, YET, I still don't know. Xcaliber here onlist tells I he would love to trod and spread words of Jah livity. Lava says similar. Master Chang is coming large, so I'll also lobby a vote for he-I. true, as you say "things happen or things dont happen". Maybe things make things happen, too.

Jahmeek props Batch no doubt. Since he came to SNWMF last year, does that diminish his odds for the following year. Maybe that comes into play. But you said Midnite came a few years runnin. Batch has a slew of tings and more always producing. I lobby for another Batch. Attitude has always been in I topness list. Anytime, Anywhere.

Red-I for my true has all the qualities you mention above. Raspects. Most of what I write is not hype to I and when you see these artists you will know. I only promote quality musicians and messenjahs. Reggae coming large from STX and still growing like the early tidal wave. Still building with nuff youth getting righteous teachings from Ras elders and a live community. Until then check dem sites and purchase some of the gems mentioned on parallel threads of VI artists.

here, I was tinking that there are no STX on the bill. Not just one or two, but zero. Especially after the past few years presence, and many ready to come of age, why are there none? I don't think they were ALL busy.

"and its not always like you/we *want* someone and they materialize on the bill...often times they are not available or decline because of their own reasons."

Nevah Nuff Love,
ic
jb welda
April 03, 2006 04:02PM
>Xcaliber here onlist tells I he would love to trod and spread words of Jah livity.
>Lava says similar.

no offense but i know a lot of artists who tell someone this or that but do they send in artist packages for evaluation? or do they depend on someone to get them into the view of those who book artists for the festival? i can tell you which way is more likely to get results and its not by posting here on a message board. there are a number of obvious ways to contact the booking people at snwmf chief among them to send in an artist package to the address everything else goes to. i guarantee that the packages get seen and noticed. obviously daniel does a lot to get certain artists noticed by those who do the booking but sometimes thats not enough and it certainly doesnt take the place of a cd and bio along with other particulars like how much $ it would take to bring an artist, exact contact details and a letter expressing interest in appearing at the show, from the artists management or from the artist him/herself. it also has to do with achieving a balance of types of music (though i think i can speak for daniel and i know i speak for myself when i say the more reggae the better).

im not lecturing you on how to do business; im just commenting that there are ways to make things (more likely to) happen, take it for what you will.

again, artists are booked to appear at the festival; where they are from is somewhat irrelevant. if there are or are not artists from st croix at this years show, it is not a result of where they are from, its a matter of time, space, interest, history and who is brought to whos attention via what means.

one love
jah bill
April 03, 2006 04:22PM
"artists are booked to appear at the festival; where they are from is somewhat irrelevant. if there are or are not artists from st croix at this years show, it is not a result of where they are from, its a matter of time, space, interest, history and who is brought to whos attention via what means."

BINGO!!!!!!

It's NOT where an artist is from, it's what that artist has that he or she can bring to the festival that should count. The "from" part is only relevant in terms of cost of flight and need for a visa, or not in the case of VI artists....

It's also a matter of BALANCE. 2 years ago, there was a lack of 'modern roots' artists. That was cured last year with a slew of such artists. Last year, there was a VI showcase. This year, there appears to be a bit of a UK invasion going on....
April 03, 2006 06:11PM
some friends of mine went to check out the I-Grade showcase in San Diego a few days back, said the show went down nice. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
Translucent
April 03, 2006 10:24PM
Haven't read the thread but will say this...I was down in San Diego over the weekend and was blessed to catch the Igrade showcase @ the World Beat Center and BOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!.....Red I was TIGHT and with the delivery of Abja, Army and Niyorah, it added up to one of the best shows I have ever seen...I expected so much and they still managed to exceeded it...the band from Hawai that played before them was great...anybody know their name?
April 04, 2006 02:57AM
Ooklah The Moc maybe? they are from hawaii and frequent so-cal, and that sounds like a show for them. We need to get those guys on board here this year!
April 04, 2006 05:54AM
Thanks jb and Daniel,

I think I overstand your thoughts. Again, thanks for the promotion of Vi artists, expecially those that don't have the means to promote themselves. Daniel the BALANCE comment helps explain why things just happen or just don't happen.

May the UK invasion this year at SNWMF be a huge success.

ic
Translucent
April 04, 2006 09:53AM
I don't know, but give thanks wise one...the band had 3 singers: 2 guys and a girl (one guy had really long dark straight hair)...I am really hoping to learn their name, and YES, they need to be @ SNWMF...all 3 singers were great and the band was tight...they played roots reggae (including some good dub) and had a very mystical sound...a perfect fit for SN, sure to please masses accross the board...
April 04, 2006 11:47AM
Yes Translucent, that was us, OOKLAH THE MOC from Hawai`i. Thanks for the kind words regarding our WORLD BEAT CENTER show and again thanks to MAKEDA DREAD for booking us. Time is getting short but if we are asked to SNWMF, how could we refuse one of our favorite festivals smiling smiley

a bush
trombone
April 04, 2006 12:00PM
Anthony... was Kokoman one a dem singers? and if, or if not, would he come with ya to snwmf... if ya invited?

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
trinpro
April 04, 2006 12:14PM
Hey, No thread Hi-jacking....

There are plenty of Ooklah threads you can plug..use the search function

I Grade Showcase in '06!!!

April 06, 2006 07:09PM
I would as well as others definitly be dissapointed in the cutting edgeness of snwmf if not any of the i grade showed up! they are just really coming into themselves and EVERYONE who has heard them cant believe what is coming out of this island! Its not just this act or that act there is something very powerful happening with this music and in my opinion being born and raised on reggae its the most exciting music in my lifetime! I definitly feel happy to witness this new shift to concious lyrics with a message of a righteous lifestyle as well! Much love and respect to all!
April 07, 2006 03:59AM
Very Kind words mama,

Ini hope you get your wish

bless,
ic
pale ryder
April 07, 2006 09:16AM
Mystic Mama,
I am also excited about these guys, I been to many shows in the bay area/sac and saw the explosion last year at sierra. It is refreshing to finally see some artists practising what they preach....Many jamdown artist let me down...
yeah mon
April 07, 2006 09:45AM
how do you know all of them practice what they preach?
***this is not an inflammatory post---no preparation h needed****
pale ryder
April 07, 2006 09:46AM
I dont....just a feeling.....by the way they conduct themselves....
yeah mon
April 07, 2006 09:48AM
uhhhmmm....yeahhh....righttt....
i guess that one could surmise that they are righteous...but i know in reading some of the post that it seems like some of dem are not all righteous...but again everyone is human & not perfect.
pale ryder
April 07, 2006 09:56AM
You are correct sir, I am not saying they are perfect. Righteousness does not mean you are perfect.
IQ
April 07, 2006 01:51PM
right..i guess this goes back to the thread using Jah's name in vein....
April 07, 2006 02:11PM
yah can tell nuff bout artist in the vibes them put across, whether righteous or poser. seen. 'vibes is everyting'-bambu station
big up st.croix ites would love to see represent in massive 'gain.
why stop what flow strong?
nuff said to downpressors.
blessed
yeah mon
April 07, 2006 02:16PM
bambu station rates a+ with me.
April 07, 2006 04:14PM
I also have a very strong vibe from them that they are in the music game foremost to spread Jah message and positive vibes. I am with Pale on this one!
I understand that none of us practice what we preach at all times, but if our heart are in the right place we recognize our mistakes and still go on preaching and living the Good Works!
"Me throw me corn but me call no fowl"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login