Posted by alireggae 
US Reggae or UK Reggae?
March 22, 2006 07:25PM
UK every time.

I like snow
OUTERNATIONAL RAS
Re: US Reggae or UK Reggae?
March 22, 2006 07:37PM
OUTERNATIONAL REGGAE EVERYTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 22, 2006 07:40PM
What's that? Reggae from space?

I like snow
OUTERNATIONAL RAS
March 22, 2006 07:53PM
YES, reggae from every space in the omniverse!
March 22, 2006 07:56PM
Have you got any NZ reggae? There is some good stuff.

I like snow
jb welda
March 22, 2006 08:02PM
uk vs usa reggae just isnt fair. there has been a real uk reggae community based in the ja expat community for nearly as long as there were jamaicans in the uk. in comparison most "usa reggae" is a mere pretender, very little real jamaican influence or presence in comparison. there are some exceptions but by and large the uk reggae has had a more authentic feel and in fact its own "sound" that has even been imported back to jamaica.

one love
jah bill
March 22, 2006 08:04PM
There's more of a band scene in the US though? Is Wackies considered US reggae?

I like snow
OUTERNATIONAL RAS
March 22, 2006 08:04PM
no, can you suggest some and is it conscious hopefully? I would asume so since New Zealand is so irie and inspirational-one love!
March 22, 2006 08:07PM
Dubwize Meets Confucious - To the Control Tower
Dubwize - Reality Check
Cornerstone Roots - ?
Katchafire - 2 albums

A nice start...

I like snow
OUTERNATIONAL RAS
March 22, 2006 08:14PM
Isn't Dubwize from Salinas, Ca.?
OUTERNATIONAL RAS
March 22, 2006 08:17PM
And Katchafire actually I have heard them do some UB40 & BLONDIE cover's!
March 22, 2006 08:22PM
Isn't Dubwize from Salinas, Ca.?

No, they're from Christchurch NZ

And Katchafire actually I have heard them do some UB40 & BLONDIE cover's!

Really?????

I like snow
jb welda
March 22, 2006 08:24PM
>Is Wackies considered US reggae

wackies is a studio in nyc. i dont see what that has to do with the subject. as far as i know most of their releases are by jamaican artists who may or may not be living in the usa. the distinction is that the jamaicans who do "uk reggae" were for the most part raised in the uk and have been brought up in uk soundsystem culture. most "usa reggae" is suburban shopping mall culture. when jamaican artists who live in the usa are classified as "usa reggae artists", most will tell you that is not true, eg: clinton fearon on this very forum a year or so ago.

anyway to me personally, "usa reggae" means bands that are at most a couple times removed from actual jamaican music and culture and have more in common with the dreaded (to me) "jam bands" and hippie lifestyle culture. most dont really address any cultural issues beyond legalizing weed.

im not saying thats necessarily bad, im just saying its not got much connection to jamaica, or kingston ghetto living, or living somewhere where you hear the heartbeat riddim every day from every corner for your entire life. i think thats much more prevalent in the uk, that those guys brought their roots with them to live in the uk vs usa suburbanites who first heard "reggae" from a bob marley record and considered themselves to be separate from popular culture in the usa.

one love
jah bill
March 22, 2006 08:27PM
Been listening to New Zealand's Fat Freddy's Drop today . . . not strictly reggae...little soulful jazzy FUNKY and enough pure vibes to keep me skankin and smilin' ... I HIGHLY RECCOMEND "Based on a True Story"
March 22, 2006 08:27PM
the jamaicans who do "uk reggae" were for the most part raised in the uk and have been brought up in uk soundsystem culture

True, although many of the UK producers are not Jamaican.

usa reggae" means bands that are at most a couple times removed from actual jamaican music and culture and have more in common with the dreaded (to me) "jam bands" and hippie lifestyle culture

I agree.

I like snow
March 22, 2006 08:30PM
Been listening to New Zealand's Fat Freddy's Drop today . . . not strictly reggae...little soulful jazzy FUNKY and enough pure vibes to keep me skankin and smilin' ... I HIGHLY RECCOMEND "Based on a True Story"

Yes, I quite like this album. It starts strong but weakens towards the end. A couple of guys from the band had a 12" out a few years ago called 'Midnight Marauders" - Now that was something else.

I like snow
jb welda
March 22, 2006 08:34PM
>usa reggae" means bands that are at most a couple times removed from actual
>jamaican music and culture

i meant "that are at *best* a couple times removed..." meaning they dont really have roots in the country and culture that spawned reggae music.

but this whole subject is sort of wack because soon someone is going to bring up the st croix artists. the fact is, good music comes from everywhere as does bad music. good and bad are in the eye of the beholder.

i think my last word on this will be that i like music that i like, not that particularly necessarily comes from a certain place, though there are exceptions to every generalization and in general i like jamaican music.

one love
jah bill
OUTERNATIONAL RAS
March 22, 2006 08:36PM
UK Reggae or NZ Reggae??
March 22, 2006 09:21PM
There is very likely several bands/sounds named dubwise - one is most definitely from Salinas...
baldhed
March 22, 2006 11:30PM
sure, we all know where reggae originates... but i think UK reggae is musically far superior. bands like aswad, steel pulse, dennis bovell band, regulars, ariwa posse etc. cannot be touched by any JA reggae band.
rap originated on the east coast... is every east coast rapper better than west coast rappers?? i think not. p.diddy is a joke. but a rich joke.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login