Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Sight riddim

Posted by ganjalion 
ganjalion
First Sight riddim
March 24, 2006 05:22PM
i'm usually not one to post up my thoughts on new riddims, though maybe i should start, but i just picked up some cuts on the "First Sight" riddim on Pow Pow and i must say i'm impresseved. they usually come correct with their riddims (cept i didnt care for "Gladiator"winking smiley, and this one is no exception. my fav being the Chezidek "Call Dem", big tune...but again i love Chezidek so that could be why.

so yea, check for this one...definitely top notch.
BMC
Re: First Sight riddim
March 24, 2006 07:44PM
Only heard the samples so far but really liked what I heard. Ordered a bunch of the tunes yesterday! Pow Pow gwaan good again!
TR-808
March 24, 2006 08:02PM

sounds kinda like a tribute to mid / late 80s jammys ('sarah', 'the score', etc)

--
BMC
March 24, 2006 10:39PM
Good point Solid, it does have that kinda feel to it.
March 24, 2006 11:19PM
i still cant dig that drum machine style of culture rhythms. sounds like someone make the rhythm on their casio.

i like the milestone rhythm, but dont really think any of the vocals are that good.

my favorite recent ernie b rhythm is the street swing - four or five good tunes.
BMC
March 24, 2006 11:22PM
> sounds like someone make the rhythm on their casio

That's exactly how the great sleng teng originated! Gotta love it.
March 25, 2006 12:44AM
BMC wrote:

> That's exactly how the great sleng teng originated!

And thus began the downfall of reggae music
TR-808
March 25, 2006 12:49AM

that some old, tired, whining, don.

wrong, too.

--
March 25, 2006 12:52AM
i wasnt whining, and im not wrong
its a matter of opinion
some people like live instruments, other people like casios
March 25, 2006 01:40AM
and some of us like both...
March 25, 2006 01:56AM
seriously though - i like wayne smith's under me sleng teng

I think there are many good computerized tunes in the reggae vaults

I just hold the opinion that modern jamaican music has come to rely too heavily on a certain equation of drum machines and synthesizers, and that a certain element of musical creativity and natural sound is absent in the majority of new jamaican rhythms. A lot of the new rhythms i hear - i can tell if i'll like them by the third beat of the first measure.

I think that's why so many of us see i grade, mt nebo, etc, as a fresh draft in a room full of stagnant air.

I said i like the street swing riddim in my earlier post, which is, in my opinion, a blend of the old and the new.

March 25, 2006 02:51AM
I agree that relying on computerized sounds is a bad thing, luckily most artists (even dancehall) tour with a band for live shows. I personally prefer having a soundsystem flingin' down riddims at shows in a club setting, but in a larger venue a live band is the only way to play...
---peaces---
over it...
March 25, 2006 03:17AM

<yawn></yawn>
over it...
March 25, 2006 03:21AM
<%
rs.CODE ()
Set rs = WARRIOR
%>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login