Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rediscovering: Gregory Isaac - Soon Forward

Posted by angel gabriel 
Rediscovering: Gregory Isaac - Soon Forward
March 26, 2006 05:09AM
Pulled this one out of the boxes to listen to for the first time in about 20 years. My copy was issued by Virgin in '79.

This is a really smooth Gregory album - self produced with mixing done by Crucial Bunny and Sylvian Morris

urge everyone to pull this out

Side 1

Universal Tribulation
Mr Brown
Down the Line
Lonely Girl
Bumping and Boring

Side 2

My Relationship
Slave Market
Black Liberation Struggle
Jah Music
Soon Forward

Bo Peep and Bingy Bunny on guitar..nice

g
Re: Rediscovering: Gregory Isaac - Soon Forward
March 26, 2006 05:17AM
nice tunes ,all of these except 'down the line' also on the ''cool ruler- soon come - selection'' cd...........but nothing like the rich vinyl sound........nonetheless some crucial gregory cuts!
jb welda
March 27, 2006 03:59AM
go look for "lonely lover" on pre record label. its even better. contains universal tribulation and others up to same standard.

one love
jah bill
papa ray
March 27, 2006 09:13PM
Oh Yes Oh Yes, when Jah Gregory could do no wrong and he was as strong as ANYONE on the scene. JB, you also name another of my hands-down favorite
reggae LPs. His songwriting was on a par w/ the best, and his vocal style & delivery, based on the best lessons given by guys like Alton Ellis, John Holt and Dobby Dobson, was all his own. To sum up, IMO, at his best Gregory was as good as it got, in an era where there was a huge amount of good sides getting out.
March 27, 2006 09:20PM
Hadn't payed any gregory on my show in awhile until yesterday when I got 3 seperate requests for his tunes yesterday. Been awhile since i've seen any 1 artist get that many calls. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
AKA
March 27, 2006 09:46PM
JB - I've got a "Lonely Lover" Lp on African Museum label. It doesn't have universal struggle on it and it sounds to me like the roots radics backing him. (At least I'm pretty sure thats Style Scott on the drums). Do you know if there are actually 2 Gregory Isaacs Lp's named Lonely Lover with a completely different band and set of songs on each?

Track list
1 Happy Anniversary
2 Gi Me
3 Tribute To Wa-Dee
4 Poor And Clean
5 Natty
6 I'm Sorry
7 Few Words
8 Protection
9 Hard Time
10 Tune In
jb welda
March 27, 2006 10:17PM
its "universal tribulation" and i could be wrong about it being on lonely lover album but i was pretty sure it was. im also pretty sure its sly and robbie on that record but again i dont have it in front of me to check. its a pretty good bet the african museum issue is same as the original "pre" label release (it was probably on african museum in jamaica at the same time) and from memory those song titles look correct.

heres what roots archive says:

Playlist :
Happy Anniversary
Gi Me
Tribute To Wa De
Poor And Clean
Poor Natty
I Am Sorry
A Few Words
Protection
Hard Time
Tune In

Mixing Engineer : Sylvan Morris & Harry Johnson

Producer : Gregory Isaacs

Backing Band : The Roots Radics
Drums : Sly Dunbar
Bass : Robbie Shakespeare

note the contradiction: "roots radics" "drums: sly dunbar, bass: robbie shakespeare"

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 27, 2006 10:19PM
ps: from both track lists it appears i am 100% wrong about universal tribulation being on there. i guess i think the songs sound so alike in style and execution that i always identify that track with this album, incorrectly it appears.

one love
jah bill
March 27, 2006 10:19PM
Well, I've got "Lonely Lover" on the Pre label and the track list is identical to the one you posted AKA (except #5 is 'Poor Natty'). Either Jah Bill miswrote above about Universal Tribulation or else Pre put out 2 albums called Lonely Lover, and my vote goes with the former...
jb welda
March 27, 2006 10:23PM
>3 Tribute To Wa-Dee

>Tribute To Wa De

"pre" indeed did put "lonely lover" out twice, once standalone and a second time as a two record set along with "more gregory" i believe, and called it a third title. however the track listing was the same for the album in question and did NOT include universal tribulation. a thousand pardons.

one love
jah bill
AKA
March 27, 2006 10:39PM
Alright, I think I got it now.
-Universal Tribulation is only on Soon Forward (got it confused w/ Black Liberation Struggle, my other fav song from that lp).
-Lonely Lover was released in UK on Pre and in JA on African Museum.

Personnel

Drums - Style Scott and Sly Dunbar
Bass - Flabba Holt and Robby Shakespear
Rhythm - Bingy Bunny
Lead - Noel Bailey
Piano - Steele Johnson and Gladdy Anderson
Organ - Ansel Collins and Winston Wright
Horns - Bobby Ellis and Deadly Headly

I'm guessing Lonely Lover came out just after Soon Forward round 1980?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login