Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matisyahu on CBS Morning New Magazine

Posted by Sista Irie 
Matisyahu on CBS Morning New Magazine
March 26, 2006 02:40PM
Matisyahu was featured on this morning's CBS Morning News Magazine. His first cd "Live at Stubbs" was recorded just down the street from my house. I did not go to the concert because I saw the audience lined up outside for tickets and it was far from a reggae crowd. I heard snippets of Matisyahu's music since then and, altho, I can see the appeal it may have for some, it did not give me that same rootsy feel for me to get engaged like I do for artists like Culture, Spear, or even Junior Kelly.

I have to admit watching his story on tv and talking to some of the artists who have been around him, I have gained a respect for what he is doing and whether I really love the style or not, I think inspiring people through positive lyrics is a great thing no matter what the musical genre is. He comes across as a very humble and focused young man, melding the musical traits of rock, hip hop and reggae expanding to large 'cross over' crowds comprised mostly of those in their twenties and thirties. I think that in itself is truly a positive accomplishment for society, in general. I suspect he will end up on one of the upcoming year's big shows in Jamaica (such as Rebel Salute) and will be very interesting to see how a Jamaica crowd responds. As with Gentleman, who has been accepted by Jamaicans, even recording with Luciano, his influence is much more felt by those outside the island of Jamaica. Matisyahu will be recording with Luciano for a track on his next cd. It is really wonderful to see Luciano lend his talents to other non-Jamaican artists. Luciano truly believes in music for music's sake and not just what is defined as roots reggae.

One of Luciano's greatest influences is Kenny Rogers. If you listen to them both, you can hear some of that influence.

Some ask if Matis will expand the reggae market. I suspect he might but I don't really believe they will become a hard core reggae audience. But, only Jah know. If they do, it is a win win situation. It won't change the sound or commitment of the old time reggae roots lovers.

Post Edited (03-26-06 06:57)

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
Re: Matisyahu on CBS Morning New Magazine
March 27, 2006 02:39AM
Thanks Sis I watched/recorded it which I would have never done without your kind notice and time it took to write and tell us. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not surprised that no one on this board said thanks for this.
They do like to Matisjahu bash on here to a certain degree.
I say BIG UP to his bieliefs and his fine way of expressing them.
He is certainly supported by many reggae musician peers of his.
Bless, Denny
baldhed
March 27, 2006 03:48AM
i would bet that by this time next year, Matisyahoo will be outta the spotlight. kind of a no-hit wonder i guess... i know theres alot of jews in the music industry & that could be working in his favor, but im not gonna claim that 100%. anyways, it seems that the same kids who fell for sublime, pepper, slighty stoopid, common sense etc. are now fixated on this new bearded beat-boxer.
all the stuff is just the same cheesy wannabe reggae riddims with the rhythm drenched with chorus & the sublime drum beat etc. white boys have always seemed to have a tough time playing roots.
if you own a sublime cd, a pepper cd, a slighty stoopid cd, and now a matisyahooo cd; good luck!
March 27, 2006 02:46PM
people said thae same thing about Hip Hop music, it was just a fad that will be gone in a year. Matis is legit, I find it funny that people need to justify why people like him, and the bottom e line is people like him. His music and his message. You state that their are "a lot of jews" in the music industry, what does that have to do with anything? Are they Hasid? Why would "the jews" have watied until now to back someone? You thoughts are inconsistent and they smell of a lack of reason. "White Boys"? Again, that is just utter American, I have never left my state fockery. Calling people White demonstrates that you have no reverence for the differences in people, go to South Africa and call people Black and see how they look at you.There is so much diversity in the world that you will be missing out on if you wish to maintain this sort of slave mind. FORward all positive artists. As long as Matis continues to put G-d first there will be no stopping him.
ROB
March 27, 2006 02:48PM
HATERS..................................SUCK
March 27, 2006 02:52PM
Baldhead, I was and maybe somewhat skeptical as you. I feel different after seeing his CBS interview and this morning he was on CNN. He sure is getting alot of media attention. I have a hard time believing he is going to open the door for mainstream America to love reggae. Nor do I want it to. I would love for reggae artists to get their due but not through this avenue. As I said, the crowd that seems to go to Matisyahu is not the roots reggae kind of audience.

One thing I try to keep in mind, Judaism is a religion. Rasta is a livity. Matis comes emphatically states he is not Rasta. It seems like reggae spoke to his spiritual side which is not surprising since many forms of Rasta livity coincide with the culture of Judaism.

I wish him the best but I don't see (yet) his ability to blow open major acceptance of roots reggae music.I agree with Ninjacat that the world needs us much positivity as it can get and anyone who can reach the youth with a positive has my respect. It does not have to be reggae.

Post Edited (03-27-06 06:54)

March 27, 2006 03:44PM
I would say that much like Rastafari being a livity Matis also represents a livity. To me a Livity is when you become what it is that you claim to believe. Nuff say one thing and do another.

To me this is quite simple, most people don't like him because he has "white" skin. If he was an Ethiopian Orthodox who said that he praised the Nazerene but was not Rasta do you think they would catch this much heat?

Again, please don't take this to mean that if you don't like Matis' music it is because of this reason, that is not what I am saying. Certain music is not for everyone that is for sure. I am talking about all fo these "critics" who talk about how it is because of the jews in the media, or it is because he has "white" skin and the rest of these non musical reasons. All of these type of critiques are all based in ISM AND SCHISM.

The very reason I love Reggae/world Music Festivals is because people "seem" to be non judgemental about the way people look and dress. People seem pretty open minded, but I must say that sometimes I re evaluate this stance because the same isms that tend to exist in other places amongst other crowds are here as well.
March 27, 2006 03:55PM
well sehd Ninja... I see ya...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 27, 2006 03:55PM
Good point Ninja, and YES, there are some people who don't care for him merely on account of his skin colour. But Gentleman played on all those Bob Marley Day festivals along with Matis, and I don't see ones and ones railing against Gentleman on account of his Melanin deficiency. Of course I'm sure that if he too was railing against ganja and following 'false prophets', I'm sure he would be catching more heat from folks. For me, it all comes down to the quality of the music, which in Matis' case I find lacking....
March 27, 2006 04:13PM
good enough daniel, I hear you.

CBS) In the crowded Hasidic community of the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, Matisyahu Miller is just like any other Orthodox Jew.

But when he strides onto a concert stage he becomes rock 'n' roll's only Hasidic reggae singer -- what Rolling Stone called a "kosher man vibration" and one of the hottest musical acts in the country, CBS News correspondent Anthony Mason reports.

Despite the seemingly odd contrast between his faith and his music, Matisyahu is not bothered by those who call his act a gimmick.

"I never really thought of it. I mean I get asked the question all the time," Matisyahu says. "If someone comes to a show because they think like, 'Oh, this is gonna be funny' or something they're gonna get there and they're gonna see that's not what this is about."

The sold out audiences lining up to see him are learning Matisyahu is no novelty act.

"I just thought that a white Jewish boy couldn't rap and then I listened to it. And then I thought, 'Wow, this is actually really good,'" one female concertgoer says.

His first major release "Live at Stubb's" made for just $25,000, went gold, driven by the breakout hit, "King Without a Crown." And this month, his new album, "Youth," debuted on the charts at number 4, selling more than 100,000 copies in the first week.

Dermot Hussey is the reggae program director for XM Satellite radio

"Novelty is not a bad thing in pop music because it gets your attention. And it's for you, then, to take it from that perspective and move it beyond that," Hussey says.

26-year-old Matisyahu was born Matthew Miller, the son of social workers from White Plains, a New York suburb.

"I loved ice hockey. I used to play ice hockey. So, you know I wanted to be a hockey player," Matisyahu says.
Matisyahu flowed toward music pretty naturally. He also dreamed of being a rock star.

"I started out with friends of mine in high school beat boxing. Everyone would sort of like be in a circle making up rhymes and raps, you know. That was like the creative outlet for my friends. And I became the sort of the guy that made the beats, like did the beats with my mouth," Matisyahu says.

As he grew older, though, he grew restless. Matisyahu dropped out of high school during his senior year, saying that on the first day of school, "I just didn't want to be there."

Like many teenagers, Matisyahu says, "I was struggling.

"As a kid you're just born into a certain system, into a certain place. And you're just expected to go along with that, you know?" And like what if it doesn't work? What if you feel it's not right? What if you feel it's not true?" Matisyahu asks.

At 17, Matisyahu decided to escape.

"I left home with like $10 in my pocket or something and I travelled for four or five months," he says.

He followed the band Phish all over the country and tried to find truth in music and drugs.

"They flipped," Matisyahu says of his parents. "I mean, my dad was pretty cool about it actually. He was much more laidback about it. And mom really -- she really had a breakdown."

Matisyahu's parents shipped him off to a wilderness camp to "straighten him out."

He ended up back in New York and enrolled in college. Then, by chance one day he met an Orthodox rabbi in a city park and made a leap of faith. Adopting his Hebrew name, Matthew became Matisyahu.

"I went through this whole transformation process," Matisyahu says. "I ended up moving out to Crown Heights, going to Yeshiva."

In embracing the Lubbavitch sect of Orthodox Judaism, though Matisyahu did not abandon his music. With three fellow students he formed a band.

"When we started out, we were doing concerts for - for rabbis. We would show up at a schul and the rabbi would tell us to play 'hava Nagila" or the kids would be like, "Can you play Bruce Springsteen?" or something. And, you know, so that's how it started. I mean it's been pretty crazy," Matisyahu says laughing.

He played about 250 concerts last year. Week by week the crowds got bigger, the halls got larger.

Matis, as friends call him, was recently married and now has a six-month-old son. And life on the road can be complicated if you're observant Jew, won't play on Friday nights or Saturday matinees because of the Jewish Sabbath.

And it can be problem trying to make sure the pre-concert prayers face Jerusalem.

His music is a cross-cultural blend: spiritual lyrics, hip hop undertones and a reggae rhythm.

"I got into Bob Marley, I got into reggae music. And that music just spoke to me and so it just became natural that when I started writing lyrics, and started singing them, they came out in that way," Matisyahu says.

Asked if he is a religious musician, he says, "I don't see myself, like - no, I wouldn't say like a Christian rock band or a Jewish rock band. I don't see it that way at all because music was such a strong part of my life even before religion was."

In a way, Matisyahu sees himself in his audience. The teenaged Matthew looking for inspiration in music, but sometimes channeling it in all the wrong places.

He wants to make music that is inspirational, but Matisyahu says, "saying that's not enough. At the end of the day that's not gonna do it. You know, you have to have some kind of plan. You have to some kind of structure or some kind of way to tap into this in a healthy way and strong way."

With all his success, Matisyahu does not view himself as a rock star.

"I'm always just thinking, it's about, you know, trying to be a good person and trying to stay connected to God," Matisyahu says, adding, "everything else is secondary."
March 27, 2006 05:04PM
PEOPLE WHO CALL PEOPLE HATERS.............................SUCK MORE
March 27, 2006 05:13PM
Rob, why are people who have a different pov than your own deemed 'haters'?

-----------------------------

March 27, 2006 05:38PM
sure is a lot of hating and sucking going on in this thread...sometimes simultaneously...
no baldhed I can't compare Matis to "sublime, pepper, slighty stoopid, common sense etc." because none of those bands comes with any kind of spiritual livity besides partying and getting high...I would much rather people listen to what Matis is saying than any of those clowns...I can see what you're saying, that they all kinda use elements of reggae and dancehall to get across without being as totally livicated to the music and its message as you or I would like, but I'd rather hear consciousness associated with it in any form rather than fukkery...
March 27, 2006 05:48PM
I was listening to the Youth CD in Tower on friday. Honestly have to say, I like what he's saying and I'm sure he's a good guy, but I just really can't get into his music. It does seem like kind of a novelty thing for a lot of people. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
ROB
March 27, 2006 06:24PM
Dirtweed stop smoking that stuff. nuff better stuff for ya. HATER..........
March 27, 2006 06:28PM
Stamina, that is why I think what he plays is closer to Reggae music, the spiritual aspect of the music not the sound of the band.

Ras James, good post, nothing wrong with that. I would tell you this though (and no I am not comparing them). Do you think when people first saw Bob they thought that reggae music as a whole was a novelty?
March 27, 2006 06:59PM
rob - quite stealing. nuff betta things for ya ta do....LOVER
March 27, 2006 07:22PM
massive,
do you think that the new adherents to matisyahu's 'hasidic reggae music' will enhance and forward reggae's
standing in jah world?

if so, cool...welcome to reggae world...
if not, not so cool...
March 27, 2006 07:40PM
I'm not sure that Matis' popularity is going to lead to converts to either reggae or Chasidic Judaism...
I don't think that's what he's aiming for either...unlike say Christafari who admits from the getgo that his primary goal is evangelism...
that trio that backs Matis needs a keyboardist to give more of a reggae feel...the guitarist does what he can to fill up the space but his efforts still aren't enough imho...even the 3-piece seems kinda 'loose' rhythmically as well, I see why there are all the comparisons with jambands...
jb welda
March 27, 2006 07:42PM

still, doesnt help much.

one love
jah bill

March 27, 2006 08:18PM
jb, frum what I hear, he like Hennessy, not Jim Beam..

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
jb welda
March 27, 2006 08:45PM
danny, im talking about what the listener needs, not the performer!

:-)

one love
jah bill
March 27, 2006 09:19PM
lol.. heh heh heh...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 27, 2006 09:42PM
I still think that Matis will continue to have a big following but I don't think he is going to expand the reggae market in any considerable way.

baldhed
March 27, 2006 10:06PM
by the way, selassie has nothing to do with reggae...
original reggae music was non-religious.
remember where reggae comes from.
i dont know exactly what this has to do with this thread.
vegans can now bitch at me

remember folks: religion=division
arent we supposed to unite?
look at the shiites & sunnis... and they even worship the same god!

be a leader not a follower
March 27, 2006 10:49PM
if you think this isn't so ask the Bobo what they think (or Ras James)
March 27, 2006 10:55PM
jb I think Manischewitz or Mogen David would be more apropos...maybe MD 20/20 if you need something faster acting...like if Matis starts singing... winking smiley

baldhed it's that kind of attitude, taking any attempts at spiritual or social consciousness out of the music, that leads to the Sublimes and Slightly Stoopids of the world (& esp. California) peddling their 'music' as reggae...if that's what you prefer to listen to, then knock yourself out...
March 27, 2006 11:02PM
Sizzla has the worst singing voice in the history of Modern Man. Not only can he not sing, he can't be beLIEved. Yet because he comes from Yard and he has "some" great producers he is loved. Let us stop being hypocritical, there are some sounds you like and some you don't. Talking **** about people and spreading rumors about who is drinking what? Cmon. Let us pull the sheet off the bed and look how Bob was singing about one love in one breath and then he was a gunman when it came time to get paid. Let us talk about infidelity and heis 50 kids by 20 women. Let us talk about Capletons inconsistent and pro violence message. Stick to music and talking about people musically because your name and your skeletons could be spilled out just as easily
baldhed
March 27, 2006 11:07PM
i say listen to jazz..
check the cd Pat Martino - Live at Yoshi's
great stuff!
jb welda
March 27, 2006 11:18PM
go ahead and talk about that ninjacat.

oh...wait...you are already talking about it.

>Let us stop being hypocritical

yes thats good advice.

ps: i was talking about what *I* have to drink to tolerate this guy, not what he has to drink. if thats ok with you that is.

pps: you wont find me hailing sizzla so get your story straight.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 27, 2006 11:19PM
we want matis!!!

one love
jah bill
March 27, 2006 11:24PM
that picture is awful on so many different levels. Now i'll probabyl have to see a psychologist when I'm 40 cause of pictures like that, lol.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
March 27, 2006 11:36PM
that picture should have been posted on zokis "special guest star" thread.
jb welda
March 27, 2006 11:45PM
it was, dw. ive only had one original thought in my life and im afraid that was not it.

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login